• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I was quickly going through moments in YuGiOh recently and was reminded of YuGiOh season 4, a filler season. In this season, there is a card that allows you to gain a bunch of good effects in the card game, but makes it so the loser of the game loses their soul. In a stakes-less duel, The Pharaoh is given this card by one of the bad guys because he's convinced The Pharaoh is evil and will use this card to win a children's card game.

... So The Pharaoh does do that and causes Yugi's soul to be lost after he loses the duel.

And to be clear, before the evil card was played, there were no stakes whatsoever to the duel.

The show tries to justify this by saying that "the card influenced his mind" but like... The Pharaoh had been pretty heroic for the last over a hundred episodes and now he's attempting to kill a dude while gambling Yugi's soul.

It's just a massive escalation and feels like something that could never happen outside of filler.

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
I was just watching a YouTube video about this. Apparently he could have won the duel with the seal card only but had a misplay. And yeah, could have just walked away lol

Oct 25, 2017
There's a One Piece TV special where Zoro gets upset with Sanji for "always getting the girl". Rather odd coming from Zoro (who is just as uninterested in girls as Luffy)

Why would Goku need to drive?

Toei needed ideas.
Funny enough, he's seen driving in the manga, but it's after that episode came out. Chapter 392 (or 198 if you're using Viz).

Aug 7, 2020
I was quickly going through moments in YuGiOh recently and was reminded of YuGiOh season 4, a filler season. In this season, there is a card that allows you to gain a bunch of good effects in the card game, but makes it so the loser of the game loses their soul. In a stakes-less duel, The Pharaoh is given this card by one of the bad guys because he's convinced The Pharaoh is evil and will use this card to win a children's card game.

... So The Pharaoh does do that and causes Yugi's soul to be lost after he loses the duel.

And to be clear, before the evil card was played, there were no stakes whatsoever to the duel.

The show tries to justify this by saying that "the card influenced his mind" but like... The Pharaoh had been pretty heroic for the last over a hundred episodes and now he's attempting to kill a dude while gambling Yugi's soul.

It's just a massive escalation and feels like something that could never happen outside of filler.
The Seal of Orchosis .

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ash gleefully celebrating wild Pokémon fighting one another, presumably with intent to eat the other (a Persian attacking Ratatta), in Pokémon Journeys. Not filler technically since not based on a manga but...

Yikes. Whoever wrote that episode fucked up with Ash. I know Ash isn't the most complex character to write but generally it's always been established he dislikes seeing Pokémon brutalize one another outside the context of a fair battle...in fact a key moment earlier in the season even has Goh lecture Ash for treating Pokémon too much like humans and interfering with nature.

So, yeah, he wouldn't get giddy at a wild fight like that...all the other characters in said scene reacted to it with horror and Officer Jenny even had to put a stop to it, so even in the context of the scene it wasn't a fun Pokémon battle.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Wake the Dragons Arc in YGO S4 is always good for a laugh, especially the villain's laugh in the dub. So fucking cheesy but the VA sounds like he's genuinely enjoying himself XD

Aug 7, 2020

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_nhjrynkWDc1rss05ao2_500.gifv

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon Journeys Ash starts ignoring Pikachu to train Riolu so Pikachu leaves home. Its so forced and stupid. (yes im counting that as filler)

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Wow I never knew Yugioh was based off a manga.

Side question but I never wanted to make a thread to ask about this, how was the latest Yugioh move from a few years back?

Oct 25, 2017
Similarly, that one TV Special where they're saving that theatre and all of a sudden Robin just breaks out into song and dance was really strange.

Yeah that was out of nowhere.
Current Robin might do that, but this was pre-development Robin so it was just surreal.

There was a chapter cover showing Goku and Piccolo in driving school, the idea for the episode came from that.
rtzdpf9qhsamvrh0l2ns.jpg

That explains it. Heh.

Side question but I never wanted to make a thread to ask about this, how was the latest Yugioh move from a few years back?

Yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh started as a manga. Ran from 1996-2004.
Starting out, it covered multiple games instead of just cards. It was almost episodic with Yugi getting in trouble, the Pharaoh coming out, and playing a dangerous game that results in permanent damage or outright death.
In fact, the card game (originally called Magic & Wizards before changing to Duel Monsters), was just another one-off chapter and Kaiba was just another villain of the week. But the reception to the game was so positive that it was incorporated into a future arc as a final battle, and then really shifted into the main focus with Duelist Kingdom.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Dark Side of Dimensions is a lot of fun if you're a fan of OG Yu-Gi-Oh, I recommend the dub just for how Kaiba hams it up. It follows up on the ending of the manga however and not the anime, so there are some slight differences, like Kaiba never showing up for Yugi's final duel with the Pharaoh or Pegasus being dead.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah that was out of nowhere.
Current Robin might do that, but this was pre-development Robin so it was just surreal.

That explains it. Heh.

Yeah, Yu-Gi-Oh started as a manga. Ran from 1996-2004.
Starting out, it covered multiple games instead of just cards. It was almost episodic with Yugi getting in trouble, the Pharaoh coming out, and playing a dangerous game that results in permanent damage or outright death.
In fact, the card game (originally called Magic & Wizards before changing to Duel Monsters), was just another one-off chapter and Kaiba was just another villain of the week. But the reception to the game was so positive that it was incorporated into a future arc as a final battle, and then really shifted into the main focus with Duelist Kingdom.
Yup early pharaoh was brutal, wounding if not maiming people. Plus there's a reason Yugi got the title king of games.

Candescence

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's one of those scenes that, once again, somehow was made more sense in the abridged series. Rafael was legitimately annoying the hell out of Yami with his "you are evil!" thing, and because Yami was already kind of a dick anyway, he decided to embrace the label and go full card-carrying villain on Rafael, who quickly realizes that was not the best idea.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
It's one of those scenes that, once again, somehow was made more sense in the abridged series. Rafael was legitimately annoying the hell out of Yami with his "you are evil!" thing, and because Yami was already kind of a dick anyway, he decided to embrace the label and go full card-carrying villain on Rafael, who quickly realizes that was not the best idea.
Wasn't it more about Yami's pride that was the problem and he refused to forfit the duel?