• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Mar 3, 2018
I'm gonna give a content/trigger warning before you watch since the crash itself might make you uncomfortable.

I've rewatched this a few times now since it happened, just a complete miracle how he walked away from that.

Vid on F1 Website :

www.formula1.com

2020 Bahrain Grand Prix: Grosjean escapes huge crash and fire at race start

Haas driver Romain Grosjean escapes from a huge crash at the start of the 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix, which ripped his car in half after piercing the barrier just after Turn 3 at high speed. Grosjean has been airlifted to hospital with a suspected broke

MIRROR:

Everyone is shocked at how he survived. This angle of him coming out of that inferno left me speechless.

More context;

Romain Grosjean escapes horrific F1 crash at Bahrain GP
The car was ripped in half and engulfed in flames as it speared through protective barriers immediately after the start, following contact with the AlphaTauri of Daniil Kvyat.

The impact was measured at over 50G, according to a spokesman for the sport's governing FIA.

"[Romain] is stable and being taken by helicopter to the MDF MC Military Hospital for further evaluation," the governing body said.

A spokesman for Grosjean's Haas team said the 34-year-old had suffered minor burns on his hands and ankles and had one or more suspected broken ribs.

Last edited:

CD_93

Dec 12, 2017
Lancashire, United Kingdom
We were stunned in to silence to watch it happen live. Real "shook" moment of uncertainty.

You get used to F1 cars hitting walls. You're not supposed to see them detonate on impact.

So relieved to see him pull himself out. Unreal scenes. Dude is 2 races from retirement - a scriptwriters dream.

That Halo really did its job when it mattered.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Video is private. Not sure I want to watch it anyway, might be for the better. Insane stuff.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
There are so many safety measures. He can really thank the halo for his life.

10 years ago, he wouldn't have survived the crash.

Edit: I don't know if the video in the tweet is region-locked or not, but here's a footage of the crash.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
It was so scary watching it live. Just seeing the fireball in the background and them not showing anything for a couple of minutes.
It's amazing he survived and a testament to the safety work that goes into F1. The halo literally stopped him from being decapitated.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus!! The thing just exploded. Dude is lucky as fuck. God what a fucking scare it must have been.

Oct 25, 2017
Not familiar with F1, but what's the halo?
1200px-Räikkönen_Ferrari_SF71H_Testing_Barcelona_%28cropped%29.jpg

thesuperfunk

Nov 3, 2017
Absolutely crazy that Romain completely pierced though the armco barrier and was able to walk away with nothing more that minor burns and broken ribs.

That halo device saved his life.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, that looks like something right out of a movie. Horrific. Glad he got out in one piece, and I hope he recovers well.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Was watching live. One of those surreal moments where it took a second to register what I'd just seen happen. Mental.

Was great to learn he's okay and it really is a credit to all the safety precautions in the sport now that he can emerge from a crash and inferno like that.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, that's so lucky for the guy. I'm glad he survived because that footage is an incredible testiment to the new safety features.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
That is some hollywood shit, cars aren't suppose to just explode like that.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since the death of Dale all major racing organizations really stepped up their safety measures.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
It was intense watching it live , really scary stuff. Its crazy to think the halo is a recent addition to these cars

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I have not watched F1 in a few years, but back then I remember there was a huge fuss about the Halo. Lots of complaints about how unsightly it was , and others calling for a closed cockpit instead...

...no halo or a closed cockpit probably would have meant a death after that crash, as he would have been trapped or knocked out.

Punished

Jun 19, 2019
As well as halo saving his life, he's really lucky that he wasn't knocked out on impact - sure he has the HANS device but that is a massive impact and deceleration. He was able to get out in 18 seconds, but if he wasn't conscious, they'd have to attempt to extinguish the fire, undo the belts and try to drag him out.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I have not watched F1 in a few years, but back then I remember there was a huge fuss about the Halo. Lots of complaints about how unsightly it was , and others calling for a closed cockpit instead...

...no halo or a closed cockpit probably would have meant a death after that crash, as he would have been trapped or knocked out.
Drivers have admitted this today after the race. They said they were opposed to it because it didn't look nice, but it turned out that after a couple of trainings with a halo, it didn't bother them anymore, and they admit it has saved Grosjean's life today.

All credits to the FIA and the effort they take to make the F1 safe.

Caspar

Oct 29, 2017
UK
It's incredible what you can walk away from now in motorsport. WRC drivers can literally launch their car off a cliff and spin 20 times and be back for next day's event.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Been watching F1 for 20 years or so, this was the the scariest moment I've witnessed.

Kubica's crash in Montreal in 2007 was equally terrifying to watch in the moment but ultimately it was visually more spectacular than it was a danger to his life, the rolling and shattering carbon fibre absorbing much of the energy. Big crash still obviously.

With the Bianchi crash we never really saw anything live and had scarce information.

Today all we saw was an explosion of flames and then no replay or live cameras so I feared the worst, luckily we found out he was alive and walking before seeing the car in two pieces and the survival cell scorched and embedded in twisted metal. The car also stopped instantly with no chance to dissipate energy so the forces involved would be unthinkable. It's lucky it took over an hour to restart the race because I was just absolutely shocked by the replays of him escaping and climbing out of an inferno.

The halo, survival cell and fireproof overalls all did their job today and it's a testament to everyone who pushed these measures over the years.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Just now catching up with the race replay, holy shit. Was not expecting that ball of fire. Miracle Grosjean made it out.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Shocking images. Feard the worst and yet seeing him, jump out of the flames felt like a dream.

This footage show how good F1 safety has come up and how vital they are. Carbon fiber, hans device, halo, fireproof suit and helmet, safety / medical car tailing the start, marshals everywhere...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, dude got out of that inferno like Dom in Fast and Furious 6

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
Thankfully he escaped with only minor injuries. That looked like a horrific crash. Safety technology and procedures for F1 did its job wonderfully here.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Glad he got out safe.

The investigation into what happened will be interesting and thorough as the fuel tanks have been puncture proof (and proved it many times) for years now. This one popped like a balloon to go up like that.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
Pit crew were tearing up, it was a tough moment to process even when you saw he survived.

demondance

Oct 27, 2017
Odd that the fuel tanks went up like that but also a testament to the incredible advances in safety that he survived that one catastrophic failure with minor injuries, thanks to other safety measures protecting him properly. Would've killed him in the not-so-distant past.

Oct 25, 2017
Odd that the fuel tanks went up like that but also a testament to the incredible advances in safety that he survived that one catastrophic failure with minor injuries, thanks to other safety measures protecting him properly. Would've killed him in the not-so-distant past.
And even farther in the past would have killed him and like 20 other people.

itsgreen

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Odd that the fuel tanks went up like that but also a testament to the incredible advances in safety that he survived with minor injuries. Would've killed him in the not-so-distant past.

Yeah that never happens. They are self healing and those sacks are tough as hell.

It says something about the freak accident this was that it ruptured. I don't think a fuel tank has ruptured in the 25+ years I have been watching.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow, unreal seeing him walk out of that inferno.

The technological advancements in safety measures really saved that guy's life.