• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
At dentist now. I had a root canal that failed and now tooth has got to be extracted. I never lost a tooth before. The dentist says it could be problematic which im afraid means painful as fuck.
Just need to vent. Anyone else go through this?

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
you wont feel much as they will use a numbing injection. Just a lot of pressure

Tomorrow though is when the pain kicks in....

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Had 2 moars pulled and I have, apparently, roots 50% longer than average. No issues at all apart from a sore neck where I tried to hold my head still while 2 dentists tried to extract them. Didn't really have any real pain the next day. Certainly nothing like the "shot in the face" feeling you get if you've had an infection or something.

Over the next 10 days you'll probably get bits of sharp whatever poking out of the wound. Just massage it with your tongue and they'll come out. Once they are all out it'll heal over no bother.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
you won't feel a thing and you'll be given pain meds to take after

nothing to worry about, seriously

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've had 2 teeth pulled. Trust me it's not that bad. There might be one weird ass feeling for a brief moment but that's it.

Also my situation was similar and the root canal means the tooth will be even less to worry about.

Might mean even no real pain later on. That's how it was for me.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
I had a couple pulled since my mom's side of the family genetically has problems. The extraction itself isn't a problem at all, could just feel uncomfortable since you'll hear cracking sounds and a lot of pressure, the problem is the healing process. Especially during the first week where you have to be extra careful to not loose your blood cloth, and then another couple of week until your jaw bone reforms. But in the end, it's a manageable inconvenience.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
As long as you're not having it done in a back alley with a man with a pet monkey, you'll be fine. May hurt for a bit, but there will be drugs and numbing and all that good stuff

Oct 27, 2017
Your jaw is going to be sore like an achy muscle. Take your pain relievers. You will be bleeding for a few hours, don't spit, let it drool out into a cup. Bite down on the gauze.
In the terms of pain scale, it's about a five to a six in my experience.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
So you know first hand i take it.
ive had three removed. One of those was also problematic. The dentist still remembers it to this day which is a bit crazy as I assume he pulls teeth every day. its obviously not a fun time. But you wont feel pain really when he is doing it but a lot of discomfort for obvious reasons. But after pain killer expires tonight / tomorrow its really not nice at all. Just keep popping pain tablets and eat soup

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I did it without numbing cream or numbing needle cause the Dentist just pulled it instantly but damn it was reliving when it happened and not a big deal of pain at all. You'll get some pain meds after though but yeah it'll be fine

Deleted member 112813

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 8, 2022
The actual pulling will be way easier than you think it will be, at least that was my experience. Be sure to follow whatever instructions you're given on how to care for the extraction site over the next week.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
You're gonna be okay. I've had a tooth pulled, and while it wasn't pleasant during or after, you'll be fine.

Then again, they gave me vicodin. That helped a whole lot.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
oh and make sure to keep it clean after as the wound can get infected and you dont want that

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
On Friday June 17th, I am having Oral Surgery.
3 teeth extracted at once, 2 of them are very problematic being right by nerves, etc.
I have had 3 of my wisdom teeth pulled and 1 normal tooth at various times. It was okay.
This upcoming shit I am freaking out about as it needs to be done but also may lead to other issues, and I was also told recovery time is a full week.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Tooth extraction is way easier and faster. I got all of my wisdom teeth removed at the same time and it was alright

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The only pain you'll feel will be the injection, which hurts significantly less than biting your lip or tongue. Then afterwards it will just be kind of a dull pain for a few days.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I've had wisdom teeth removed and it's not that bad. There's pain afterwards but it's bearable.

vastag

Oct 26, 2017
At dentist now. I had a root canal that failed and now tooth has got to be extracted. I never lost a tooth before. The dentist says it could be problematic which im afraid means painful as fuck.
Just need to vent. Anyone else go through this?

Doesn't hurt, don't worry about that. But be prepared for the noise, you will distinctly hear all the crunches as sound travels through the bone to your ear.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
They gave me laughing gas to pull it out which was AMAZING.

I could feel him tugging at it but honestly there was zero pain and I was so high I would have let him do anything to my mouth lol.

There are way worse procedures that could be done, you'll be fine OP, especially if you take you drugs afterwards.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Went through this a couple years ago with a cracked molar that first required an attempted root canal to save the tooth. When that failed, the tooth required extracting and an implant.

None of the operations were painful. The root canal and extraction were nothing. I was given plenty of relaxers to the point of feeling damn near nothing. The implant procedure was slightly uncomfortable though, definitely some feeling there, but hardly worth getting fearful of.

Now the actual pain of the cracked tooth that had gotten infected?(all pre-extraction) Some of the -worst- pain in my life. Holy shit. Those that have had an infected tooth understand and have my sympathies. That night prior to procedure at home was dismal. But OP is not dealing with that thankfully.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I would be too. Never had an extraction but the root canal I had, I was shaking in the chair for about 30 minutes before I truly accepted it wasn't going to hurt. Hope it's quick and easy for you OP!

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
Really, if you are not afraid of needles then this will be fine. You will only feel some pressure. Dental practices are way better than their reputation.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Had so much anxiety when I went in a few years back to remove some wisdoms I should have had removed when I was younger but decided against. They both had deep cavities in them and since there were no lower wisdoms to mesh with (those were removed as they both came in sideways) the dentist and I both agreed to just get them removed. I was dripping with sweat.

They gave me the gas, some decent tugging and it was over. Looking back it was a lot easier than I was worried about... it almost always is. The mind can really fuck with you when it wants to.

Oct 27, 2017
I have, and it's fine. I just had novocain and it was relatively painless. They gave me some powerful painkillers for afterward, but I didn't need them.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I have no idea why movies and TV make out like its painful. Presumably an old thing from the past?

I've had one taken out and some moving the rest about as a kid. Litteraly jaut a few needles into the gums which felt like nothing as they're injecting stuff to make you numb. More like I was being pushed if anything.

And boom, that was it.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018
I had a molar pulled as a tween and it didn't hurt a lot, but in my unique case, it was uncomfortable to listen to. I had a rare 3 root tooth and it made for some interesting struggles and noises that we were not expecting.🤣

OP
OP
super-heated plasma
Oct 27, 2017
Went through this a couple years ago with a cracked molar that first required an attempted root canal to save the tooth. When that failed, the tooth required extracting and an implant.

None of the operations were painful. The root canal and extraction were nothing. I was given plenty of relaxers to the point of feeling damn near nothing. The implant procedure was slightly uncomfortable though, definitely some feeling there, but hardly worth getting fearful of.

Now the actual pain of the cracked tooth that had gotten infected?(all pre-extraction) Some of the -worst- pain in my life. Holy shit. Those that have had an infected tooth understand and have my sympathies. That night prior to procedure at home was dismal. But OP is not dealing with that thankfully.
Actually I have been dealing with it for two days. But thanks for understanding.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
you'll be okay. I had two wisdom teeth just straight ripped out by my dentist, it didn't actually hurt at all. Following two days were pretty uncomfortable, but more dealing with stuffing cotton in my mouth to deal with the bleeding instead of too much pain.

don't be scared!

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
It's usually quite quick. I remember having a half tooth pulled and they popped it in exactly half a second.

Oct 25, 2017
problematic more likely means it may be hard for them to get out, not that it will be more painful
They always like to extract it cleanly (sometimes as easy as just pulling until it pops out) but sometimes they gotta resort to crunching/breaking it out, which they had to do on one of my wisdom teeth (the rest pulled out easier)
But dont worry that just means it takes longer and sounds scarier, as long as they keep you numbed it is not any more painful
just sounds freaky and takes some extra time

Oct 27, 2017
You likely won't feel a thing after the shot. Will be sore as fuck after it all wears off for a day or three though.

Nahbac

Nov 11, 2018
I had two kids teeth pulled in middle school. If you can handle needles then you're gonna be fine, worst part for me was the numbing injections into the roof of my mouth. The actual pulling of both teeth was completely painless and didn't even feel it happen, lot of blood for the rest of the day and night after though

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
Don't worry OP, reading your thread title sent shivers down my spine as I'm terrified of the dentist. Communicate with the staff about your concerns and be vulnerable about how you feel. They will absolutely be sensitive to it.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
I never really had any issue with getting teeth pulled. I had a molar removed when I was like 15. I had 2 baby teeth and pulled after radiation therapy. Separately one of my wisdom teeth was pulled out, and then a few years ago I had my remaining 3 wisdom teeth surgically removed. I've never really had any pain. Didn't need the pain killers after the procedures either.

Mostly just follow the instructions they give you and don't be stupid with it and you shouldn't have any issues with a dry socket or anything like that.

Nov 5, 2017
I had three out of four wisdom teeth removed (born without one) and it's not too bad. If they numb everything right, you'll just feel a lot of pressure. Once it wears off, at most, you'll have a bad headache. Just be careful when brushing and chew on the opposite side of your mouth, making sure food doesn't transfer over to the area you had the tooth removed.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Dental pain is over rated. Dislocate a knee or pinch your sciatic for the good stuff.

You'll be numb through the whole thing. It isn't that bad, I've had worse pain ^

Do not try and eat or chew when you are numb.

Edit: You had a root canal? That is way worse than a tooth pull.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
I had a tooth pulled not long ago due to a root canal gone wrong. It honestly was hardly worth thinking about. You get numbed up, obviously, and then the tooth was out in a matter of seconds - you definitely don't feel it. I didn't even hear any "crunching" or tooth "cracking" which some people describe.

The worst part is having the stitches in your mouth after, but that is merely an annoyance.

Don't worry about it!

Oct 28, 2017

aw man. My uncle used to say this quote to me literally every single time I saw him (i'm a dentist). Unfortnately, he died last year. He was so damn funny :(

anyway, OP. you'll be fine

Dental pain is over rated. Dislocate a knee or pinch your sciatic for the good stuff.

You'll be numb through the whole thing. It isn't that bad, I've had worse pain ^

Do not try and eat or chew when you are numb.

Edit: You had a root canal? That is way worse than a tooth pull.

try kidney stones out

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I got 2 wisdom teeth and a molar removed last year. They did a good job and after the anesthesia wore off I was in pain for about an hour but then was fine… was prepared for the worse. Mostly just stressed about dry socket needlessly as I was very careful.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Had two adjacent teeth removed last month. Took me more than 2 hours on the chair. Somehow my tooth won't let go and is clinging too much. There was barely a nudge after an hour. I was really feeling bad for the dentist and her 2 assistants that are really having a hard time because of me.

It's painful the day after and its difficult to eat. The pain when the wound is touched even just slightly is unbearable. Just stay with the soft non hot food and follow instructions from the dentist. The pain killers really helped me. Also keep your mouth clean for a few days to avoid infections.