• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a game that is about to release on switch is cheaper on a different region than mine and I'm considering going down that route but before I do the dirty...

Will I be able to use the online features even if it's a different region?
Will I be able to buy the season pass from my main region and use it on the game?

please dont poor shame me

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah some people for some reason are going to say that this is the same as piracy. Not a position I can comprehend, but prepare yourself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah some people for some reason are going to say that this is the same as piracy. Not a position I can comprehend, but prepare yourself.

Yeah, that's a baffling take for people to have, but be ready.
The only times I think it's really wrong are:
When they have country specific give aways, and like 99% of them go to people from other countries.
With Knack 2 and its free price glitch at launch on the NZ store, when a load of people made NZ accounts to get the game for free, and it was probably one of the biggest shows off entitlement back on GAF when some people dared suggest Sony had the right to revoke the licence.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I'm sorry for everyone siding with a big mega company instead of a person
This is less about siding with a company over a person, and more worrying for the people who may be affected by the company due to the actions of a few people like the person.

I.e., this behavior is what leads companies to give up on regional pricing, or set their prices for certain regions much higher than usual. As already happened at least once on the Mexican Switch eShop, I believe.
It won't happen because one person does it, but it is not a course of action that should, in general, be encouraged or supported. I say this as a citizen of a country that's locked out, on Steam, from gifting games outside of its economic zone due to prior exploits of this kind.

So.. if you have to, you have to - just, be aware that it's not as harmless as you probably think.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
There are a few games that will lock you into the region you buy them from when it comes to online play (i.e. separated servers) like Splatoon 2. It might just be Splatoon 2 actually. In Monster Hunter Gen U, Japan is also separate but the game is a different version, I believe. It doesn't even contain an English language option.

And, as has been said, you need to get DLC from the same region as the game.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
This is less about siding with a company over a person, and more worrying for the people who may be affected by the company due to the actions of a few people like the person.

I.e., this behavior is what leads companies to give up on regional pricing, or set their prices for certain regions much higher than usual. As already happened at least once on the Mexican Switch eShop, I believe.
It won't happen because one person does it, but it is not a course of action that should, in general, be encouraged or supported. I say this as a citizen of a country that's locked out, on Steam, from gifting games outside of its economic zone due to prior exploits of this kind.

pretty much

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

So.. if you have to, you have to - just, be aware that it's not as harmless as you probably think.
Okay Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
And then some people for entirely valid reasons, will worry that this behavior will just ruin the appropriate regional pricing for the customers intended. A position I can completely comprehend, but prepare yourself.

That said I wouldn't equate it to piracy, that's just stupid. I wouldn't want to be the guy that just generalizes people who don't agree to using that go-to either though.

TenaciousD

Banned
Mar 6, 2018
Do it OP.
As a side note, most of those guys with 1000-5000 games on Steam... yeah, they do it too.

And then some people for entirely valid reasons, will worry that this behavior will just ruin the appropriate regional pricing for the customers intended. A position I can completely comprehend, but prepare yourself.

That said I wouldn't equate it to piracy, that's just stupid.

Except that big companies will do this of their own volition, currently living in one of those countries, they'll use any excuse for justification. It's cheaper for me to buy Origin games from US or EU then my own store. It didn't use to be like this, and I can guarantee hardly anyway was using a VPN and buying from my region. EA just did it for more money. Same thing when Capcom makes my Steam store region 20% more expensive than US or EU. They can't complain if I then buy from a cheaper region.

Oct 25, 2017
Except that big companies will do this of their own volition, currently living in one of those countries, they'll use any excuse for justification. It's cheaper for me to buy Origin games from US or EU then my own store. It didn't use to be like this, and I can guarantee hardly anyway was using a VPN and buying from my region. EA just did it for more money. Same thing when Capcom makes my Steam store region 20% more expensive than US or EU. They can't complain if I then buy from a cheaper region.
I will say that most of the context I refer to with my comments come from the indie devs that are forced to up the price of regional market releases because players take advantage of the lower price, not the larger companies.

That said, to actually answer the questions brought forth.

Yes you can use the online features, no you'd have to buy that store's season pass.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say that most of the context I refer to with my comments come from the indie devs that are forced to up the price of regional market releases because players take advantage of the lower price, not the larger companies.

That said, to actually answer the questions brought forth.

Yes you can use the online features, no you'd have to buy that store's season pass.
Yeah but the game im buying is not indie by any means.

Nov 4, 2017
Definitely expect some flack, OP.

Personally I think it's fine jumping between storefronts in the developed world (e.g. UK, Canada), but kind of scummy to take advantage of third world pricing (e.g. the US :P). Though I wouldn't judge somebody for region hopping because it's the only way you can afford it. If that's all you can pay, it's still better than piracy IMO.

LightningWall

Oct 25, 2017
You can buy DLC fron other regions, as long as the sku is the same on the other region you switched to. Which in 99,9 % cases it is.

So basicly if a game says purchased on the other eshop region page, the dlc for it will work.

I often mixed dlc in the past.

OP
OP

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely expect some flack, OP.

Personally I think it's fine jumping between storefronts in the developed world (e.g. UK, Canada), but kind of scummy to take advantage of third world pricing (e.g. the US :P). Though I wouldn't judge somebody for region hopping because it's the only way you can afford it. If that's all you can pay, it's still better than piracy IMO.
Nah is not like that I'm jumping from us to eur because its like 10 usd cheaper. not like super cheaper but I'm on vacation season with a partner for the first time in years so I wanted to have a bit of more cash to treat them

Deleted member 55568

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 1, 2019
If you don't understand it, you must be willfully ignoring the points people have made, because it isn't complicated.

If a Japanese game comes out in Japan and America, and nobody buys the American copy, they may stop localizing that series in the future. Meaning no more English options in future games, and no releases at all in America. So if that series ends up on a system that's region-locked, that means you can't play it anymore.

If you want foreign games to come out in America, you need to buy them in America.

If you don't care if English options and American releases could disappear, then by all means, do whatever you want.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a game that is about to release on switch is cheaper on a different region than mine and I'm considering going down that route but before I do the dirty...

Will I be able to use the online features even if it's a different region?
Will I be able to buy the season pass from my main region and use it on the game?

please dont poor shame me
I do this but not on Switch, mainly on PC and PS4 (mainly on digital too). So I'm not sure if this applies:

Yes, if the console is region free
It depends, most third party you can, but just try downloading a free dlc of that game on your region first.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

getting games from different regions or waiting for $3 steam sales is fine, just don't complain about copy & paste content, mtx, season passes etc. then

Status
Not open for further replies.