• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yo this game has some of the most replayable game design in games. Let me tell you why:

- the level design is fluid, it transitions seamlessly through cutscene and in-game with no loading screens, making it optimal for replays
- checkpoints are frequent and often
- the accessibility options are through the roof. This makes it to where even more people can play it again and again
- YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE THE DIFFICULTY OPTIONS - We played Hard and Survivor mode with default difficulty options but high item encounter rate, that way we could enjoy the brutal AI difficulty but still have access to plenty of items for creative encounter management.
- each major encounter is set in a mini-sandbox where you choose if/when you will engage your enemy in a very metal gear solid-esque manner, where you also choose how to engage your enemy.
- the enemy types are varied enough to flex different gameplay styles, and I argue that this is interesting and effective. Trying to stealth your way through an encounter with dogs and armed guards is really a special kind of AI interplay with the player that I've never experienced in games before now. But also guns blazing approaches to zombies and humans feels just as fun and rewarding as stealthing through an encounter (at least for me).
- the enemy AI is astounding, possibly the most intelligent and complex individual and team AI I've ever seen. Not only do teammates call out specific locations where they saw you to each other, they see you if you are visible, period, unless you're so far away you could be mistaken for another object. This makes the gameplay very fun and intense. And when you see them interact with another enemy of yours like the infected and there's a 3-way conflict going on, the AI really shines. You see enemies make priority decisions based off your proximity and the danger of its other enemy as well.
- the upgrading and crafting based off realistic looting is some of the best for a 30 hour action game genre.
- you can bring your upgrades with you to NG+.
- you can repeatedly do the above.
- this means you can play the game at least 4 times with increasing difficulty and reward: regular mode, hard mode+, survivor+, grounded+, grounded (no stats/upgrade carryovers).
- Grounded mode. Oh my fucking god. This is the best third person gameplay challenge I've ever enjoyed. I'm halfway thru Grounded+ right now and it's just (chefs kiss). The scenario where you encounter dogs and they're looking for you and there's a dozen human guards out there but you only have like 3 bullets and your sides are kinda bleeding, let me tell you there hasn't been a more intense and gruesome experience. Because my next point:
- the animations make the gameplay shine. The perfect balance between realism and urgency of the moment and contextual reaction time is achieved skillfully, with every animation portraying very realistic grabbing, dodging, stabbing, cutting, shooting, blasting, darting, and fiddling in your backpack. With grounded removing the UI, it feels like you need all your senses and cues from the games animations to make lightning quick decisions. I can even read the dogs' ear animations for cues on if it notices me.
- there is so much detail density in all the fabric of the level design that it's impossible to list all the details you'll miss until you play the game MULTIPLE times.
- I promise you also that you will not experience the richness of the gore physics working here unless you play each scenario multiple times. The first time I noticed that bloodied bodies in water diffuse blood with realistic lighting and physics into the water was my third play through. The first time I noticed that blood will stream and drip down Ellie's knuckles or arms if she gets cut. was now on Grounded+. You may notice details in a different order, but I promise you with multiple playthroughs you'll notice a lot of care and detail went into every system powering this game.

I could blather more about how much I love this game but I guess I'll just see if anyone out there feels kinda like I do.

inb4 "I hate TLOU and it was boring and don't tell me what to do I don't like playing games more than once"

Deleted member 54073

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 22, 2019
I've only gone through it once as I was emotionally drained and needed a break after I finished it but I'm sure as hell looking forward to going through it again once that PS5 update comes out.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. I'm holding off my replay hoping we get a 4K60fps patch for PS5 but the scenarios naughty dog crafted and the options given to the player are really incredible.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah I accidentally played through it 4 times :/ Once with cheats and stuff to be fair, but still! Probably have one more play through in me once the next-gen update hits

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Totally disagree. The game is such a stressful and bleak experience that once was probably enough for me, no matter how brilliant a feat of engineering and design it is.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
second time through i played with the slowmotion feature and it was a fucking blast

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's too joyless and plodding for me to want to replay it. Looting would be even more of a chore without uncovering the environmental storytelling alongside it.

I think I'll wait for a TLOU2 multiplayer horde mode.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Totally disagree. The game is such a stressful and bleak experience that once was probably enough for me, no matter how brilliant a feat of engineering and design it is.

It was a lot less stressful for me the second time +through because you can just ignore the story, skip the cutscenes, and focus on the AI and gameplay. At least for me

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't even finish it once. It's so miserable. No way in hell would I play again if I ever finish it.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
My 2nd playthrough for the platinum is waiting for the inevitable 60 FPS patch, feels pointless playing before that

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree OP. Nearly every encounter, I thought to myself "damn, I can't wait to try this again with a different strategy."

Some masterful level design on display here.

Hoping for a PS5 patch soon, because I've been really itching to replay it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I felt so drained and empty after beating the game that I couldn't imagine jumping straight back in.

Looking forward to a second playthrough one day (PS5 version maybe?) but definitely didn't find it a highly replayable experience, personally.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It is very emotionally draining going through the first time, but is extremely replayable in terms of gameplay.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, I don't see it. Sure the combat arenas are open enough to allow engaging with the enemies to be somewhat dynamic. But the levels are always linear, there's never more than 1 way to get in and out of anywhere, enemies still "appear"once you've passed a certain trigger point, there's hardly any environmental interaction and so on...
It's an enjoyable thrill ride but I'm not looking forward to replay it any time soon

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I absolutely love the game design. It just makes you want to explore the world and there are so many different ways to do it, it's just... Fucking great, man.

You don't even have to like the story to appreciate how good it is (I enjoyed the story).

And when it comes to gameplay, I don't get people saying it plays similarly to the first one - It eclipses the first game. Both in gameplay and game design.

You could argue that pacing and the story might be better in part one (there you at least have a leg to stand on). But gameplay and game design? Nah. It plays much like MGSV, but has a great story and amazing game design = recipe for GOTY.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
The gameplay is really fucking good. I'll be baffled if the takes that modern Naughty Dog can't craft great playing games continue to persist into the future in enthusiast circles.

I haven't been back to it yet because it's quite an exhausting experience but I intend to relatively soon, hopefully with an update to 60 fps on the horizon.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Best action game to come out in decades, if not ever. They also nail the horror aspect of it. Brilliant level design, and so many options ine to proceed.

There's even a mode that lets you go from fight scene to fight scene bypassing the story.

I'm just waiting for the ps5 patch.

Oct 27, 2017
I did three playthroughs - normal, hard, and hard plus.

Normal had a few challenging sections. Hard was quite easier than normal after playing through on normal.

Hard plus had too few resources to sustain interesting enough variety in gameplay. Sure, I did more stealth and prone stuff but it wasn't much more exciting since I had been doing that often enough anyways.

Unlike the first game, the narrative bounces around, and I've squeezed every reference and parallel out of the presentation and story at this point. On base ps4 it looked and ran next-gen-ish before next-gen got here, so not much more left to impress at this point from an upgrade.

The general combat encounters aren't dynamic enough once you've proven you can sneak anywhere and/or get the jump on someone. Even in areas like the parking garage, flooded office, or the hotel. It was more like Crysis 2 where you had a couple of tactical options that the encounter was built for. Which is totally fine the first couple of times but it saps some of the dynamism overall without delving into the options tweaks. The gameplay is undoubtedly very good though.

Gwynbleidd

Oct 27, 2017
The combat encounters are fucking amazing. My cousin makes me play the game when she comes over even though her boyfriend isn't into games besides madden and fortnight. She's totally invested in the characters and story at this point so I have a separate save file just for her. Never had this experience for someone that literally wants nothing to do with video games and it's pretty fucking cool honestly

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
I'm mostly waiting on a PS5 patch/remaster to finish Grounded+. Yet I occasionally dip back in because I think about this game so damn much. It's incredible. I'm actually very glad Days Gone exists as a foil to it. As I play DG for the first time, I felt so powerful mowing down my first horde with a machine gun and "focus". Then the next days swap to TLOU2 and I'm at the Elementary school cafeteria (the first real series of gunfights), feeling weak, vulnerable, and starved for options without any special protag abilities to save me besides super fast crafting abilities and stealth movement.

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
A game can have the most incredible physics and control options, but if it's a depressing, gruesome experience I really don't want to play through it multiple times, sometimes not even once.

I'm glad this game resonates with some folks enough for multiple playthroughs though, It seems like a special experience for those that are into it.

NewErakid

Jan 17, 2018
Great level and encounter design is easily the most underrated aspect of this game.

I'm so tired of modern games just throwing waves of random enemies at me for me to now down without much thought which is so prevalent nowadays.

The way tlou2 crafts different encounters and tailor's them to the level design is so refreshing.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. Looking forward to a Grounded run once PS5 support is added for many of the reasons laid out in the OP. Increased resource scarcity means having to be even more creative & experimental, which is when the mechanics and A.I. truly shine , IMO.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
I was hoping to have transferred all of my accumulated TLoU combat and stealth prowess into Factions Part II by now but the Naughty Gods have barely acknowledged its existence.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I played twice immediately after release to get the platinum and have been fighting off doing my 3rd run until there's a next gen update, but I want to play Grounded so bad.

CubeApple76

Jan 20, 2021
Personally I am never going to play it again. I enjoyed it enough first time through but it was too long for me and mentally exhausting so I don't really feel it was very re-playable at all.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
I would like an option to skip all those flashback sequences, it would make repeated playthroughs more better for pacing

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
Absolutely, I agree with everything you said. It's one of the few games I have ever replayed. Normally I don't enjoy replaying games because I've seen it all before and get bored quick, but TLOU2 just hooked me and made me want to play so much more.

This game has got the GOAT third person shooter gameplay experience, and the game is a masterpiece thanks to this. If I see anyone saying the gameplay is the same as the first or doesn't really do anything special, I know they haven't played it.

black070

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The combat encounters are absolutely phenomenal, but the downtime in between coupled with the game being so depressing are reasons why I consider the game to be a one and done experience.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
A question for the people who have praise the level design of TLOUII: did you like the level design of UC1-3 and TLOU1? Because I found it painfully average. I wanna know if it's just different tastes or TLOU2 is THAT much better

Oct 27, 2017
If there's a game where I had enough after one playthrough that's tlou2 for sure. This game is slow as molasses, and I need to recover and forget about it before I give it another go. It's certainly no RE4 when it comes to replayabilty, that's for sure

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
If there's one thing that this game does not have, it's replayablity. Encounters play exactly the same as your previous playthroughs, there are unskippable flashback sequences, game is way too long and does not offer enough variety, pacing is awful. It's a one and done game.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was amazed at the gore. I remember dying to that workbench ambush, so threw down an explosive in front of the door on respawn and activated the workbench.... BOOM... turned around and there's blood everywhere with body parts slowly dropping off of the ceiling. Insane

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Same, while I think its an amazing game and possibly the best I've ever played I just have no need to ever replay it. I played part 1 like 5 times but I don't see that happening here. Maybe in like 5 years or something who knows.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
I can definitely see myself replaying TLoUII gameplay segments as standalone experiences to experiment with the incredible versatility of the combat encounters and due to how memorable some are, but I've played through the full game twice, and that's all the emotional energy I have for another decade, lol. In comparison, I've played the first game 6-7 times, and ended up doing 3 playthroughs in a row for the Platinum. Even if wasn't an emotionally draining game, TLoUII is still a longer game than the first.

A question for the people who have praise the level design of TLOUII: did you like the level design of UC1-3 and TLOU1? Because I found it painfully average. I wanna know if it's just different tastes or TLOU2 is THAT much better

It's definitely the biggest evolution in level design in a ND game out of UC1-4/TLL/TLoU. UC4 is the closest to TLoUII, but TLoUII is still a huge step up again. TloUII feels more naturalistic in both level design and encounter options, and there are many standout areas in the game that give you an incredible variety in how you want approach encounters. As someone who likes to clear out levels, it was actually overwhelming at times.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
where is the ps5 60fps mode. I'm waiting for that to be released before I replay it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I'm definitely enabling some modifiers the next time I play it, like slomo and auto pick up. Waiting for that sweet PS5 version though, whether a patch or a native new version.

Deleted member 1698

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is very emotionally draining going through the first time, but is extremely replayable in terms of gameplay.

I got that in the first game ... but what is really that emotionally draining about this one?

It seemed very straight forward to me and consistent with lots of other games. Once you begin moving it is very much a "get from
A to B" kind of game.

That said I don't think it is replayable the same way uncharted 2 was. It is what an open world game should be (detail, different paths but no bullshit) but It is just too long and doesn't have enough variety. Amazing game, but once is fine.