• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mario Kart 9 will Release on...

• Switch

Votes: 187 15.1%
  • The Successor

Votes: 567 45.7%
  • The Succ

Votes: 389 31.3%
  • Thor 2 The Dark World

Votes: 99 8.0%

• Total voters

asun

Nov 10, 2017
I'm imagining an epic Kirby x Mario Kart Kross-Over. It would be a glorious success.

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019
Switch for obvious reasons.
1. Every console tends to get their new iteration
2. Mario kart 8 is 6 years old
3. A port is still the same game
4. Now is the time where they can benefit from a big user base, important factor to consider here.
5. Get those that didn't bought the port because they already played 8 on the Wii U.
We will get mario kart 9 or Nintendo kart on the switch.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Not waiting for the succ would be a mistake at this point. Let the hype build over the next few years and have Mario Kart 9 ready early on for the succ.

Oct 27, 2017
Wii Succ U

Wii Succ U Succ
(The successor to the Wii Succ U)

And a portable Succ Boi

succ.jpg

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Succ please

Mario Kart is always a looker, may as well have it look as nice as possible

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
I would love nothing more than for Mario Kart 9 to release on Switch but I have a feeling it's not going to, since MK8D is STILL fucking selling on Switch. So, the Succ it is.

I dont think we can draw a conclusion without a pie chart. Anyone with that knowledge?
Pie charts are like any art. Anyone can make a bad one. But to approach the mastery required to produce the kind of pie chart you are referencing, it takes many, many years.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
The only way MK9 comes out for the switch is if Nintendo does a MS and makes the whole launch window lineup of Switch 2 cross gen. which is a bit of a stretch.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
This is the perfect time for a new Diddy kong racing, another karting game that doesn't make MK8D obsolete.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
From the OP, I'm going with option B. MK8D has ridiculous legs and could possibly overtake MK Wii as the best selling game in the series when all is said and done.

The Switch is enjoying incredible success right now after the release of Animal Crossing and has showed no sign of slowing down. I really don't think Switch is getting the typical 5 year Nintendo lifecycle.

Waiting a decade or more between 8 and 9 is going to suck though.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
It would be nice to have a Mario Kart on Switch.

Already have MK8 with DLC on Wii U and can't bring myself to buy basically the same thing on Switch.

Give me a MK9 with a single player mode matching or above MKDS and I would be so happy.

Not really expecting it to happen but it has been 6 years since MK8 came out so it feels far overdue for me at least.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
It will actually come for both, as the game format will be the same and a lot of games will work on both systems.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely the best early thread post I've seen in a while.

But I really hope MK9 comes to the Switch, only because I want it soon. I love MK8D but it would be a bit shit if they rode a Wii U MK to the end of the Switch's lifetime.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo being Nintendo, it's gonna be the succ. It's one of my biggest complaints for the Switch (and one I predicted during the WiiU's release). It was very predictable that the WiiU's library was gonna be ported to the Switch before they invested in proper new AAA releases. There's exceptions, but honestly there's only a few of them. As someone who's long since played the WiiU's (underrated) library of games, I'm just kinda waiting for them to finally start making new games. There's enough to keep me occupied of course, but as far a software output goes, Nintendo's never been worse imo. (Maybe I should have posted this in the controversial opinions thread).

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
I would be very surprised and disappointed if we don't get a new Mario Kart on the Switch. MK8 came so early in the Switch life cycle that it's just hard for me to imagine Nintendo not making another one soon, and making an incredible amount of money all over again.
Agreed, MK8D will still sell too. Hell it could be the bundled game for ref of NSW life and not need a price cut.

I don't know what the market is for 2 Mario karts on a system. The blue ocean casual market doesn't need a second one. Maybe theyll just buy it if they see it though?
I think so, MK9 if it really is a jump from MK8D.

The day the successor does release....

Nintendo Switch 2 |OT| SUCC HAS COME TO
Can we remember this pls? Or whenever we talk about NSW2 xD

They're already making an incredible amount of money with a Wii U port selling as an evergreen at full price.

They would cannibalize their demographic and software by having two Kart games on the same console. Better to have the team work on something else on Switch, then have them come back with a Kart 9 as a must-have title for the Succ.
That's one way of looking at it. But imagaine NSW has a long life cycle. And by end of 2021 the game sells 35mil. Let's look at 2 options...

1) MK9 doesn't come: MK8D goes on to sell 50mil. An extra 15mil if no bundles came out.... [Revenue: $900mil]

2) MK9 comes out: MK8D legs get cut and does 5mil extra [Revenue: 300mil] and MK9 sells 25mil [Revenue: $1.5Bil] Total $1.8Bil
Add in dlc made for MK9 and more hardware being sold ;) It's also much safer option since NSW is a

It depends on how long they intend the Switch's lifespan to be. One or two more years? Then you hold onto it for THE SUCC. But if it's more 3-5? Then I can see MK9 releasing on the Switch.

i agree. If the Succ comes out in 2022 or even 2023 then no point for MK9 imo

OP
OP
Tbone5189

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
In all honestly, games like MK8D have become such expansive monoliths with a huge amount of content, characters and stages that I'd be happy enough with an expansion with a dozen more tracks. Then leave MK9 for a few more years.

If they did dlc it would be fine. They can get away with 4 cups (16tracks) and a few more characters and it would make a ton of money and make MK8D happy for awhile while waiting for the

Launch Title confirmed, the long awaited sequel to this gem:

663360-631909_touchdic_super.png

Thank God. I was frantically scrolling the thread hoping to see the man that invented the Succ's catchphrase.

It's indicative of Nintendo's move away from the handholding and low difficulty. No longer can you button mash x x x, y y y in peace. For you will be Succ'd.
Another one! Amazing

Genetix

Apr 30, 2020
I am going to predict that Nintendo will not release the newest entry in the Mario Kart series until the successor of the Nintendo Switch. Probably still a few years out.

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
It all comes down to when the Succ ™is coming. Or if Nintendo saw the Switch's success and put it on hold.
If it comes later than 2024 I think a new Mario Kart on the Switch is happening. I think that Nintendo will have to make a "rerelease" event to give the hardware new life if they want to make it last really longer.
MK8DX will sell forever but the Switch won't. A new Mario Kart is their secret card to just make the Switch sell for like 3 more years once things slow down.
It might as well be a cross gen title, if they transition to The Succ in a more smooth way rather than just killing the Switch.

Jan 2, 2018
I still can't believe that this is so much of a discussion point.

Yes, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is an enhanced port, but why does this matter? It is selling like a new entry in the series! Why split up the sales? Just save the next Mario Kart for the Succ!
And no, it's not an option to release it first on the Switch and later as a Deluxe edition on the Succ, because the latter will probably be backwards compatible. The team should make another game for the Switch and than have Mario Kart 9 ready for the launch or launch window of the Succ. That's the most reasonably and financially sound approach.

Last edited:

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
  1. Mario Kart is too big an IP to drop. At most, such a crossover would be called "Mario Kart: Nintendo All-Stars".
  2. Given how weird TPCi is about crossovers, I wouldn't bet on Pikachu (or any Pokémon for that matter) showing up.
    • Hell, I'd argue that anyone outside of Nintendo EPD not named Kirby is unlikely. In short, expect more ARMS, Splatoon, & Ring Fit Adventure and less Pokémon, Fire Emblem, & Xenoblade. There's a reason why the Switch doesn't have any player icons for non-EPD franchises outside of Kirby.

Agreed on point 1.

Point 2, there doesn't seem to be that problem with IPs in Smash Bros.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  1. Mario Kart is too big an IP to drop. At most, such a crossover would be called "Mario Kart: Nintendo All-Stars".
  2. Given how weird TPCi is about crossovers, I wouldn't bet on Pikachu (or any Pokémon for that matter) showing up.
    • Hell, I'd argue that anyone outside of Nintendo EPD not named Kirby is unlikely. In short, expect more ARMS, Splatoon, & Ring Fit Adventure and less Pokémon, Fire Emblem, & Xenoblade. There's a reason why the Switch doesn't have any player icons for non-EPD franchises outside of Kirby.
watch Fire Emblem get an over-abundance of reps

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Emblem probably wouldn't get any reps, in all likelihood.
I don't know. Fire Emblem works a lot like Kirby. the companies that co-own them heavily leverage their co-ownership for merchandising opportunities. which means they'll want the brand front and center as much as possible. Nintendo isn't gonna say no if Intelligent Systems desired it

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I don't know. Fire Emblem works a lot like Kirby. the companies that co-own them heavily leverage their co-ownership for merchandising opportunities. which means they'll want the brand front and center as much as possible. Nintendo isn't gonna say no if Intelligent Systems desired it
Tell that to the lack of any Fire Emblem anything in WarioWare on 3DS (the Amiibo content only works with EPD & Kirby characters), the Switch icons (EPD & Kirby), Mario Kart (hell, it got Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac-Man costumes before anything Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Xenoblade), & a couple of others I may be forgetting. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby often being the exception is out of respect for Iwata's legacy (he was originally a developer for HAL).

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Tell that to the lack of any Fire Emblem anything in WarioWare on 3DS (the Amiibo content only works with EPD & Kirby characters), the Switch icons (EPD & Kirby), Mario Kart (hell, it got Sonic, Mega Man, & Pac-Man costumes before anything Fire Emblem, Pokémon, or Xenoblade), & a couple of others I may be forgetting. I wouldn't be surprised if Kirby often being the exception is out of respect for Iwata's legacy (he was originally a developer for HAL).

Fire Emblem actually was in WarioWare Gold. There was a Fire Emblem Awakening micro game.

Though IS developed that game, so there were no hurdles to do that. Don't know about the Amiibo though.