• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mario Kart 9 will Release on...

• Switch

Votes: 187 15.1%
  • The Successor

Votes: 567 45.7%
  • The Succ

Votes: 389 31.3%
  • Thor 2 The Dark World

Votes: 99 8.0%

• Total voters

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the succ comes in 2024 I don't see them putting out MK9 on the Switch when they can instead keep selling more copies of MK8D every year than the previous year and also put EPD9 on 1-2 different games that will complement MK8D instead of cannibalize it.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought a Mario Kart since 2014, so it would succ to not have a new one on Switch.

That being said, I can't see them doing that. It won't add players to the eco-system, so it's smarter to develop different experiences.

Official logo for The Succ ™

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
qGzA8sV.png

Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm laughing so hard right now. Thanks OP, i really needed it

Last edited:

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I think the Switch is Nintendo's 9th gen console and handheld, even if they were unsure about it at first (like how the DS ended up being Nintendo's 7th generation handheld even though that wasn't necessarily the plan at first). So their next console is still several years ahead - at best Nintendo will release a "Switch Pro" to compete with the PS5 and Xbox Series X. Mario Kart 8 is an old game, so I'm pretty sure MK9 will be on the Switch, perhaps even the launch title of the "Switch Pro".

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
It would be a waste. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is the Switch's Mario Kart and the sales back that up in that it'll continue to sell to new consumers for years. MK9 will be made for Switch 2, which at the earliest should be 2023.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
sadly it will be next gen. switch doesn't have the power to do anything greatly different to 8 and people seem content rebuying an old game.
i would be okay if they released an expansion to give offline play something to actually do as well as adding tracks.

or maybe well get diddle kong racing 2....

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo Succ
Nintendo Succ Lite
Nintendo Succ Advance
Nintendo Succ Micro
Nintendo Succ U

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I have never laughed so fucking hard while reading a forum in my entire life.

I thought I knew what to expect when I clicked in this thread, but know I have laughed so loud that I just woke my S O

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They will probably do like they did this gen. Release it on Switch and release an enhanced version next gen

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Mario Kart 9 is never happening. It will become rebranded as Nintendo Kart or maybe Nintendo Racing or something.

8721d49f09ae039c5be9fe47e3c5c2ce4ccf39abr1-480-270_hq.gif

It'll have the majority of recurring Mario Kart characters.. and then characters like Link. Zelda. Kirby. Pikachu. Fox. Inklings. Animal Crossing Villager. Isabelle. So forth.

I'm really hoping for this, because of track potential and fresh items that change up the formula some more.

If I'm wrong, and it's just Mario Kart 9, here's hoping they include these characters for some variety:

Last edited:

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Real talk I'm disappointed there hasn't been a new Mario kart. I played the shit out of 8 on WiiU before selling mine and picked up Deluxe release day. I'm tired of playing that game and just being on auto pilot. The game desperately needs new DLC.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Mario Kart 9 is never happening. It will become rebranded as Nintendo Kart or maybe Nintendo Racing or something.

8721d49f09ae039c5be9fe47e3c5c2ce4ccf39abr1-480-270_hq.gif

It'll have the majority of recurring Mario Kart characters.. and then characters like Link. Zelda. Kirby. Pikachu. Fox. Inklings. Animal Crossing Villager. Isabelle. So forth.

I'm really hoping for this, because of track potential and fresh items that change up the formula some more.
  1. Mario Kart is too big an IP to drop. At most, such a crossover would be called "Mario Kart: Nintendo All-Stars".
  2. Given how weird TPCi is about crossovers, I wouldn't bet on Pikachu (or any Pokémon for that matter) showing up.
    • Hell, I'd argue that anyone outside of Nintendo EPD not named Kirby is unlikely. In short, expect more ARMS, Splatoon, & Ring Fit Adventure and less Pokémon, Fire Emblem, & Xenoblade. There's a reason why the Switch doesn't have any player icons for non-EPD franchises outside of Kirby.