• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Feed me three meals a day of fast food of old.

GettyImages_1082818592.0.jpg

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I am a big fan of food, but when my pants start to get tight I know that maybe I should eat a few more salads.

What does it take for a person gaining weight to see that and change it up?

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Have we started the AMERICANS ARE LAZY NO IT'S THE FOOD NO THEY'RE LAZY slap fight yet

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I am eventually going to be that person once my metabolism tanks. I just know it.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Eat better and exercise more?

It's pretty easy to lose weight and not be obese (I've lost 150 pounds for context)
If it was easy to lose weight and not be obese then there would be very few obese people. Do you think most people who are obese are satisfied with the way they look?

Oct 27, 2017
If it was easy to lose weight and not be obese then there would be very few obese people. Do you think most people who are obese are satisfied with the way they look?

It is that easy to lose weight. 100%. Pay attention to what you eat, watch calories, be more active. The "hard" part is not being lazy or giving in to your old habits.

Aeriscloud

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Let's all use our time off and extra cash we're all getting from our great jobs to encourage our own wellness.

Whoops, I must be thinking of some other country.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It is that easy to lose weight. 100%. Pay attention to what you eat, watch calories, be more active. The "hard" part is not being lazy or giving in to your old habits.
And the fact that a large portion of people are unable to do that is statistical proof that it is not that easy.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
1. You can be obese and still be considered in good health.

2. Being obese also isn't always about eating too much. Other factors can play into it.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're wrong. It's a systemic problem. Sugar and corn subsidies, disinformation campaigns, lobbying, price fixing, etc.. etc.. everything is designed to be an uphill battle towards health. If it were so easy it wouldn't be affecting an entire culture as epidemically as it has. It's not an individual problem. It's a societal / systemic one.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
You're wrong. It's a systemic problem. Sugar and corn subsidies, disinformation campaigns, lobbying, price fixing, everything is designed to be and uphill battle towards health. If it were so easy it wouldn't be affecting an entire culture and epidemically as it has. It's not an individual problem. It's a societal / systemic one.
This person said it much better than me.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
By my calculation only 50% wrong. I do not think it is possible to be obese and "healthy". But eating too much is not the only cause of obesity.

EDIT: Also while I do not think it is possible to be obese and healthy, it is totally possible (and common) to be a "healthy weight" and be unhealthy.

Oct 27, 2017
You're wrong. It's a systemic problem. Sugar and corn subsidies, disinformation campaigns, lobbying, price fixing, everything is designed to be and uphill battle towards health. If it were so easy it wouldn't be affecting an entire culture and epidemically as it has. It's not an individual problem. It's a societal / systemic one.
Oh, you're not wrong. There is a LOT that goes into it, however the individual has a say too or else everyone would be obese.

The fundamental truth is that you CAN avoid obesity despite the systemic problems by being smart about what you eat..

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
Eat better and exercise more?

It's pretty easy to lose weight and not be obese (I've lost 150 pounds for context)
Eating better sounds easy until you realize that in a lot of cases, healthier food is much more difficult or expensive to come by. It shouldn't be the case in a supposedly first world country, but "food deserts," or zones where healthy food is all but unavailable in urban areas, are more common than you'd think. Then there is the fact that junk food is literally designed to be addictive, and in some cases is just as if not more so than hard drugs, liquor, and cigarettes.

I'm at a BMI of 25, so I'm in the middle of "overweight." Ideally I wish I could get down to about 15, but I don't think I have the willpower.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017

No, I'm not. Many people have been listed as being obese in health screenings despite getting the recommended amount of exercise and proper nutrition. Especially for those of us who used to be athletes and had to put on more muscle back then. Also, factors such as lack of sleep and being overly stressed as well as depression can factor into this obesity rate. It's not always about eating too much food.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
What is the overweight percentage? Didnt see it mentioned.

My weight yo-yos, so I find losing weight and gaining weight to be very easy. Your stomach readjust pretty quickly to new normals (or at least mine does! First couple days of a diet suck but it's mostly just having better food around and eating out rarely/conscientiously.)

Society is designed for you to get fat but if you stick to a healthy meal plan and count/restrict calories you'll lose weight, even if you're stressed/sleep deprived. Exercise speeds it up.

Last edited:

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Dreadful news and largely preventable.

Most of the "bad" trends in society are largely "preventable." It's not like America's obesity issue is a mere effort thing.

You're wrong. It's a systemic problem. Sugar and corn subsidies, disinformation campaigns, lobbying, price fixing, etc.. etc.. everything is designed to be an uphill battle towards health. If it were so easy it wouldn't be affecting an entire culture as epidemically as it has. It's not an individual problem. It's a societal / systemic one.

This is the answer.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's hard as fuck, dude. I've lost almost 70 lbs since last year and every day is a goddamn struggle (it gets easier, but holy shit those first couple months were agony). Not everybody has that willpower.

1. You can be obese and still be considered in good health.

2. Being obese also isn't always about eating too much. Other factors can play into it.

Both of these points are so wrong it hurts.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
I mean, this is a bit of a problem with language/semantics. It's "easy" to lose weight in the same way that it's "hard" to do quantum mechanics. Like I used to be obese for around 5 years, and then one day I decided enough was enough and lost around 60 pounds. It was no more difficult the day I began than it would have been during the years I spent obese, but I didn't make myself do it.

I also spent all those years using every excuse in the book that I now hear from others. A huge one I used (and that I see) is "I eat the same thing my friends do." This was wrong, of course, but it sure seemed that way at the time to me. I was also pretty big on "nobody should judge me for my weight," which is true obviously, but does nothing to deal with the issue of the poor cardiovascular health that runs in my family.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
its hard to not be obese when literally everything is full of sugar over here. im always looking at ingredients and surprised by all the stuff that has sugar

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017

A large portion of people are uneducated about what they eat and are lazy and make excuses. I'm not saying everyone who is overweight is like that, but ultimately it's upto an adult how they eat. Parents who let their kids eat like shit and become overweight and continue that into adulthood are terrible though.

AZ Greg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicken and rice are cheap and easy to cook. As is finding 30 minutes a day to run.

Anything else, while an accurate description of the environment around us, is an excuse when it comes to self-improvement.

Agnostic

Mar 4, 2019
I've been trying to get a relative to use stevia instead of sugar in their coffee for about a year.

They haven't even tried it once.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
People should focus more on lifestyle and not on the numbers. As long as you do exercise and don't eat total garbage all the time you're fine, regardless of your weight. Just try to be a little bit better today than you were yesterday. People get too attached to the "hard scientific numbers", and it's largely the reason why fat people are still considered 'acceptable targets' for all forms of discrimination and ridicule.

If there wasn't such socially driven shame attached to this, people would be healthier on the whole just from an emotional/mental point of view, which is the first step towards bettering yourself physically.

And if someone doesn't care, accepts the risks and wants to eat what they want... why not let them? What's the harm in letting people do what makes them happy. They aren't hurting you.

Microsoft

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
47.639318, -122.128373
No, I'm not. Many people have been listed as being obese in health screenings despite getting the recommended amount of exercise and proper nutrition. Especially for those of us who used to be athletes and had to put on more muscle back then. Also, factors such as lack of sleep and being overly stressed as well as depression can factor into this obesity rate. It's not always about eating too much food.
Very NSFW but you might wanna watch this.
Official Staff Communication
Please do not post NSFW videos

Last edited by a moderator:

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I say this in every weight loss/health thread because it always needs repeating.

EAT MORE FIBER

EAT MORE FIBER

EAT MORE FIBER

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
its hard to not be obese when literally everything is full of sugar over here. im always looking at ingredients and surprised by all the stuff that has sugar
If sugar avoidance is difficult, then cut out some portions of it. Intermittent fasting will help people a long way. Last year, I was nearing 170lbs. Five months later, I'm in the 137-143 range; mostly from cutting out dinner or breakfast depending on when I woke up and what time I ate lunch.

Diet hasn't changed at all, I'll still snack, but I mainly cut out a meal and went from there. Once the meal is removed, adjusting the portion sizes is easier. Once you adjust portion sizes, then you can work on the content.

Also, sugars are better than high fructose corn syrup; if you're avoiding that, you're on the right track./

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So many horrible takes in this thread.

The obesity epidemic is a SYSTEMIC PROBLEM, people.

We have a society in which virtually every food is chocked full of extremely addictive sugar and corn syrup, is extremely cheap, is widely available, is what our grocery stores are full of, is what we're bombarded by in advertisements from every direction all day every day, Is made to be purposefully confusing and manipulative, is virtually unregulated, is celebrated culturally, Is subsidized, is lobbied for, is full of very purposeful disinformation campaigns and outright lies and falsified studies, and is designed from the ground up by the most powerful people in the world to be extremely cheap, extremely addictive, and extremely available.

This obesity epidemic is not a fucking mystery and not a fucking accident. There are insanely powerful and wealthy entities that created this horrific food culture.

n00bs7ay3r

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
A large portion of people are uneducated about what they eat and are lazy and make excuses. I'm not saying everyone who is overweight is like that, but ultimately it's upto an adult how they eat. Parents who let their kids eat like shit and become overweight and continue that into adulthood are terrible though.
This type of response ignores the myriad of reasons of why people "choose" to eat the way they do.