• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Dude really made up for it in terms of female characters with Monza, she was fantastic.

Was going to write the same after reading the OP. Though, thinking about it, she was amazingly written female character for a male reader like me, wonder what women think about her.

Kwhit10

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the first trilogy on audio book. I'm going to have to do the 3 stand alone first before I dive in. Just to stay chronological.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Was going to write the same after reading the OP. Though, thinking about it, she was amazingly written female character for a male reader like me, wonder what women think about her.
Loved her. Female anti-heroes feel like a rare breed too.

I think I liked Thorn Bathu a bit more though.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This book is so fucking good. I feel like Savine is going to be my favorite character to follow.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Bout halfway through and it's excellent. Love all the references to characters (even minor ones!) from the original books, and love when the original characters show up.

Savine is incredibly fun to follow.

Just bought. Didn't touch the standalones so I'm interested to see how much they're required.

If anyone has a good summary of those it would be appreciated. Google didn't turn up much.

Strongly recommend reading the standalone a first. Some things may be unclear otherwise.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I finished on Saturday. It's really good. It doesn't quite hit the peaks of the previous First Law novels, but then neither did The Blade Itself. First-in-a-trilogy syndrome I guess. Writing is as enjoyable as ever though. There was a particular line near the end in the writer's office which had me giggling.

What do you reckon Bayaz accelerated Jezal's death? Fitting also that Bayaz gets the last word in the book.

Clover ... who did he lose to in the Circle? Also what an utter bastard.

Poor Jurand, lol.

Orso, Savine and Rikke are my favourite protagonists, perhaps unsurprisingly. I wonder if Broad, Vick and Clover will be more fleshed out in the next book, because they felt a little underserved in this one.

Also, I know Red County was basically a send off for the B9, but I was secretly hoping decrepit old Logen would leer his ugly head. At least we vaguely know what Ferro's been up to.
Is
Ferro mentioned at all or alluded to in a little hatred or were you just referring to best served cold?

Last edited:

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Is
Ferro
mentioned at all or alluded to in a little hatred or were you just referring to best served cold?
She's implicitly alluded to.

Sometime between the last book and the sequel trilogy, the emperor was killed and now Gurkish Empire is shattered as nobles fight over scraps. Khalul is implied to have fought with "a demon", but it's unknown whether he died or won and is recovering. Either way, he's gone for the moment.

Last edited:

Randdalf

Oct 28, 2017
Is
Ferro
mentioned at all or alluded to in a little hatred or were you just referring to best served cold?

I don't remember any Ferro hints in Best Served Cold, but in A Little Hatred a rumour is mentioned a few times that Khalul was killed by a "demon", which is partly why the South has collapsed into disarray.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
She's implicitly alluded to.

Sometime between the last book and the sequel trilogy, the emperor was killed and now Gurkish Empire is shattered as nobles fight over scraps. Khalul is implied to have fought with "a demon", but it's unknown whether he died or won and is recovering. Either way, he's gone for the moment.
Ahhh okay. My memory of the of trilogy is a little hazy so I missed the context when they dropped that tidbit in Hatred. I would love to see her again. I wonder if her abilities will give her extended life like the magi. God knows I'd love to see bayaz get his ass kicked for once lol
I don't remember any Ferro hints in Best Served Cold, but in A Little Hatred a rumour is mentioned a few times that Khalul was killed by a "demon", which is partly why the South has collapsed into disarray.
I think Ishri saying her brother was killed is alluding to her. At least that's what the wiki says

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Also, I know Red County was basically a send off for the B9, but I was secretly hoping decrepit old Logen would leer his ugly head. At least we vaguely know what Ferro's been up to.

Well, Logen
is namedropped at least 20 times in A Little Hatred. As much as I love him, I think that is enough.

Last edited:
There were two things that somewhat strained credulity for me is I don't really buy that a paranoid spymaster like Glokta wouldn't be keeping tabs on his daughter, and thus would have been aware of her unknowing relationship with her half-brother. That's not a big deal; but conversely, and also relating to Savine, I feel like the Breakers would have made more extensive preparations to take her hostage than seemed to be the case, considering she was the single-best leverage against the government they could have hoped for.

On the whole, I really liked the new book, probably my favourite other than Best Served Cold.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it, and loved it. Steven Pacey's performance is fantastic once again, and hearing old voices pop back up (sometimes before their name is mentioned) is a real treat.

Ending spoilers:
Very bloody ending, with 3 major character deaths. Damn, Clover was heartless in killing Wonderful, that caught me off guard. I imagine Byaz killed Jazal? He had a "ghost of a smile" on his lips at the end.

Very, very excited for the next book.

I was hoping Monza would show up - she's mentioned dozens of times, at least. Same with Logen. The references to the original cast of characters are plentiful. Wonder if we will see Ferro again - as others have mentioned, she is alluded to, but nothing more than that.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it, and loved it. Steven Pacey's performance is fantastic once again, and hearing old voices pop back up (sometimes before their name is mentioned) is a real treat.

Ending spoilers:
Very bloody ending, with 3 major character deaths. Damn, Clover was heartless in killing Wonderful, that caught me off guard. I imagine Byaz killed Jazal? He had a "ghost of a smile" on his lips at the end.

Very, very excited for the next book.

I was hoping Monza would show up - she's mentioned dozens of times, at least. Same with Logen. The references to the original cast of characters are plentiful. Wonder if we will see Ferro again - as others have mentioned, she is alluded to, but nothing more than that.

I dont think we can accurately say. On one hand, Jezel hasn't given a reason for Bayaz to kill him. On the other, Bayaz might think it wasteful to leave without installing a new puppet if the current one is getting old.

It could be Isher. However, when he spoke to Leo it seemed like he knew that Bayaz was the real power behind the council.

In short, who knows lol. Personally I think its Bayaz for the reasons above.

There were two things that somewhat strained credulity for me is I don't really buy that a paranoid spymaster like Glokta wouldn't be keeping tabs on his daughter, and thus would have been aware of her unknowing relationship with her half-brother. That's not a big deal; but conversely, and also relating to Savine, I feel like the Breakers would have made more extensive preparations to take her hostage than seemed to be the case, considering she was the single-best leverage against the government they could have hoped for.

On the whole, I really liked the new book, probably my favourite other than Best Served Cold.

I do somewhat agree with you on the first point, but if someone was going to sneak one thing under Glokta it would probably be his daughter. As for the second, the entire uprising was engineered to fail. An ineffectual organizer was maneuvered into the leadership role and dipped as soon as things went south. I imagine that Bayaz or one of his subordinates was the actual weaver manipulating the Superior (or was the superior).

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Just finished it, between work and school it's been hard to find the time.

Ask me what I really like about the first trilogy, it's fantastic action and menacing dudes(and a gal!) itching to turn the next scene into a massacre. Oh, there were good characters as well, Glotka especially was a stand out, but that was ultimately secondary.

And so, what do we have in this first of the new books? Well, not much action at all except for a couple of stock skirmishes and a duel that was okay, but nothing like the last one. We also have a bunch of kids center stage who are by definition uninteresting. Maybe there should have been more Vick and Bull, maybe the children should have been more than a blank canvas to which stuff happened, I don't know. Maybe I'm seeing the first trilogy through rose tinted glasses, outside chance, but who knows?

I won't say it's a disappointment and I don't regret reading it, but it wasn't a pleasure cover to cover like the last time around.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember their being much action in the first two First Law books but it's been like five years since I read them.

Lightus

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it! Enjoyed it quite a bit. Was a little nervous about the setting at first. The "old ways" dying out to make way for the "new modern era" is a bit of a trope I don't typically enjoy. (see: The Alloy of Law, first book in the sequel trilogy to Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson) The old hard ways of life are what brought me into the First Law trilogy and I was worried to see it abandoned. This book, however, proves you can play the trope in such a way that it doesn't make little of the events of the past. A Little Hatred holds just as sharp an edge as the previous works in the series.

Anyways, have a question for those who have finished:

On the way to Adua, Rikke tells Bayaz she's seen "...A wolf eat the sun and a lion eat the wolf then a lamb eat the lion then an owl eat the lamb."

The wolf seems to be Stour Nightfall and his cronies and the sun The Union. The lamb I first thought was a call to Logen Ninefingers, as he went by Lamb in Red Country, but seems that may actually be Orso (he's referenced as the Young Lamb at the end of the book). Who would the Owl be? Bayaz maybe? I'm assuming this will be shown in future books, but wondering what the current speculation is.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Anybody got a good recap of all the previous books?

Pretty sureI remember the major beats just need to refresh my memory.

Bdub79

Oct 25, 2017
I literally said goddamn at the end of the book.

I really wish I would have listened to the stand alones, had no idea they were in the same timeline/world.

OP
OP
Morrigan

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Finally finished it. Holy shit that ending.
RIP Wonderful. That was a gut punch (literally), I did not see that coming and it really saddened me. Just when I started to think Clover was a bit of a cowardly bastard but overall had some decency left in him... fuuuuu

Oh and Jezal of course. Shit, that's ballsy of Abercrombie to kill him off-page like that. Though admittedly I felt less for him than for Wonderful... might be because it's been so long since I read the original trilogy and Wonderful is closer in my memory? Hell, I had completely forgotten that Ardee was pregnant with Jezal's bastard and didn't even realize Savine was Orso's half-brother, so when Ardee revealed that I was laughing hysterically. (In my defense, it's been like 10 years since I read First Law...!)

Also, everyone talks about Bayaz being some mastermind and shit but.... what is going on with fucking Sulfur I tell you

This guy is in every fucking book except Red Country, IIRC, and he's always there when shit's going down. He has to be the one behind the uprising in Valbeck, right? What's his end-game? Is he actually loyal to Bayaz to that ridiculous degree, or does he have his own agenda? The dude's a shapeshifter, after all.

Last edited:

Any Questions

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I am re reading the lot. On best served cold right now, and I think it's the second or third time through. Will then buy the hardback and enjoy. Am mixing it up with the paperback/ kindle and audiobook copies I have to get the first 6 books finished. I may read sharp ends... But I might skip.

Am curious to see what the first of the bastards eerm I mean magi has been up too.

Good times ahead

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I can't wait to get to this book, I just recently finished the original trilogy. Gonna start Best Served Cold soon.

Glokta and Bayaz sure stole the show. Guess I now know the full context of thread title, Ferro was the only main female character and she was kind of just coasting along, I liked Ardee more. Jezal is the only who really changed for the better but he got utterly screwed in the end. So what is the bloody-nine thing all about, it looks like some split personality thing brought on by adrenaline or getting bonked on the head but sometimes I can't tell if he's legitimately superhuman in that state.

Pike being Rews is actually the twist that caught me off guard the most. I pegged Bayaz as an asshole from the first book, I wasn't surprised at him revealing he's even more of an asshole but it sure was fun to read.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Finally finished it. Holy shit that ending.
RIP Wonderful. That was a gut punch (literally), I did not see that coming and it really saddened me. Just when I started to think Clover was a bit of a cowardly bastard but overall had some decency left in him... fuuuuu

Oh and Jezal of course. Shit, that's ballsy of Abercrombie to kill him off-page like that. Though admittedly I felt less for him than for Wonderful... might be because it's been so long since I read the original trilogy and Wonderful is closer in my memory? Hell, I had completely forgotten that Ardee was pregnant with Jezal's bastard and didn't even realize Savine was Orso's half-brother, so when Ardee revealed that I was laughing hysterically. (In my defense, it's been like 10 years since I read First Law...!)

Also, everyone talks about Bayaz being some mastermind and shit but.... what is going on with fucking Sulfur I tell you

This guy is in every fucking book except Red Country, IIRC, and he's always there when shit's going down. He has to be the one behind the uprising in Valbeck, right? What's his end-game? Is he actually loyal to Bayaz to that ridiculous degree, or does he have his own agenda? The dude's a shapeshifter, after all.

Sulfur is Bayaz's creature through and through.
Also, the only character that is in every First Law book is Caul Shivers.

Up: vol 2, The Trouble With Peace, is out

blainethemono

Oct 27, 2017
The Trouble with Peace released a few hours ago

8heNyfd.jpg

starting it right now

ready to cry if (when?) the Dogman dies

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I was wondering when a Trouble With Peace would be released, seeing this thread at the top of EctEra and assumed as much.

Read every Abercrombie book and he's my favourite author at the moment, and I really liked A Little Hatred so I can't wait to dig into this one!

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I'm actually listening to the 3rd book of the first law series. I really want to savour it cuz I love it so much. But since the sequel is out guess I'll need to finish it asap

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
I literally said goddamn at the end of the book.

I really wish I would have listened to the stand alones, had no idea they were in the same timeline/world.

If you've read the first law books give Heroes a try, it's my favourite book of his. Excellently paced and it's full of amazingly detailed battle scenes and political intrigue at a battlefield level.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
I got an e-mail notification overnight that my hold at the library is in for this (either they got more copies in than usual or I just got lucky with hold priority) so I'm definitely looking forward to getting to it tonight.

If you've read the first law books give Heroes a try, it's my favourite book of his. Excellently paced and it's full of amazingly detailed battle scenes and political intrigue at a battlefield level.

I second this. The Heroes is my favorite Abercrombie and probably my favorite standalone* fantasy book. The others are great as well and definitely worth reading.

*Yes I know it's part of a bigger world but it is technically a standalone.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing this thread reminded me that I've had a copy of The Blade Itself for a year and haven't read it yet. I should probably get on that lol.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Trouble with Peace released a few hours ago

8heNyfd.jpg

starting it right now

ready to cry if (when?) the Dogman dies
Soon as I finish the third Baru Cormorant book, I'll be all over this.

P.S. Since this thread somewhat focuses on women in literature, the Baru Cormorant books are overflowing with some cool women, and non-binary characters.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot how fast Abercrombie writes. If I hadn't seen this thread, I probably wouldn't even have thought to look for news of the next book for another year or two.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I knew the next one was getting a fall release but didn't realize it would be this week! Excellent.