• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
So, what's the alternative to this? The government buying the hospitals which are close to financial ruin and nationalising them?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a Canadian, it's pretty mind boggling to hear that a hospital can go into bankruptcy... like it's not even a thought that occurs to me

Down the street from where I live, there is a hospital that closed down several years ago. Its just this big vacant building now. And this isn't in the middle of no where, this is NASA in Houston, Texas.

This was before the pandemic.

CrunchyB

Oct 29, 2017
Just nationalize hospitals, sucks for the owners, but you can't decommission a hospital during a pandemic.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait, how did I miss this.... The US makes profit even at hospitals? I'm barely able to process the the OP. How could anyone thing this was a good idea?

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't just for-profit hospitals in financial trouble; non-profit hospitals and health care centers are also being impacted by the loss of income from elective procedures and routine check-ups. If your local hospital or health care center is non-profit and you feel like you want to help, you can check their website and see if they accept financial donations.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
How was there ANY money set aside in this aide package other than hospitals and people....The Kennedy Center we should be FURIOUS news story like this exist when the arts are getting funded.
There is money.

But remember, hospitals haven't been doing good for a long time now. COVID-19 is exposing a frail system.

Also, this will not be the only stimulus. There will be more packages.

Oct 30, 2017
Healthcare dollars need to come from a guaranteed source to provide counter cyclical spending in a downturn.

"If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor" not only doesn't work from the standpoint of losing your insurance during mass layoffs, but it may also fail to ring true if hospitals can't stay solvent.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
It's top to bottom systemic in the US. Like for example, current doctors feel obligated to take in enormous salaries, because they usually build up quite a bit of debt going through medical school, because our secondary education in the US is all out of whack regarding pricing. Then you have medical equipment that can be monopolized by patents.

There are lots of invisible costs in running this awful system. It's so gross top to bottom.
Not to mention all the middlemen involved, and the entire insurance industry, which exists only to take their cut as billions in profits.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying our system works, it doesn't, but this is the system we have (for now) and hopefully this can be an impetus for change without the whole system collapsing

But providing intensive care for sick patients is generally a money loser, as is for example having a trauma service at a hospital. Hospitals usually balance these costs with other services, like elective procedures, so they do not bleed money. It's not surprising that this crisis will cause a huge amount of issues at many hospitals across this country.

I work at a private practice and are loosely affiliated with like 30 practices in our area. We're the only ones who think we can survive for more than 3-4 weeks of lockdown before running out of money for payroll. Patients are doing what they should be doing and staying home.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
It isn't just for-profit hospitals in financial trouble; non-profit hospitals and health care centers are also being impacted by the loss of income from elective procedures and routine check-ups. If your local hospital or health care center is non-profit and you feel like you want to help, you can check their website and see if they accept financial donations.
I was going to say the same thing. Our non-profit hospitals often rely on community donations and revenue from procedures to stay open as well. It's not a great system and the outbreak is showing how fragile it is.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
how cant yall afford it with how much you all charge us ? 🤔
Margins are very thin for a lot of hospitals. Especially non profit hospitals.

Mine is having furloughs this week. No idea if I'll be affected (Engineer in IT). Was going to make a thread but idk. Not having elective surgeries is hurting us but so is the fact that they keep buying out other hospitals.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
hard for me to have sympathy for the for profit ones that bend the average citizen over on charges.

the only ones I would be sad for is any worker losing their jobs because of it.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the alternative to this? The government buying the hospitals which are close to financial ruin and nationalising them?

Well, uh, yeah? I would've thought that would be obvious. Every major city in America needs to have several hospitals paid for with taxes that provide free healthcare for anyone that needs it. Surely if Trump can afford to bail out billionaires, he can afford to bail out hospitals too?

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If hospitals aren't bailed out, I won't have a job and when things do come back online cancer diagnosis and treatment will suffer.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Hospitals going out of "business" because they have to... treat sick people.

Can't make this shit up. This is so goddamn absurd that I would laugh, if the situation weren't so damn dire.

This is beyond capitalism. Most countries with universal, single-payer healthcare are capitalist. We just, you know, don't have for-profit hospitals because the very idea is so completely, disgustingly bonkers.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
As a Canadian ....what the fuck is this ? what do you mean hospitals can go bankrupt ? I have a cousin in Ohio that was charged $3,000 for an ambulance ride which cost probably $3 in gas , I hope after all this is over you guys get your shit together and reform the entire system
Holy shit. I'm Canadian too, and an ambulance here costs $45. That's dirt cheap, considering the amount of equipment they bring around, plus two paramedics.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hospitals going out of "business" because they have to... treat sick people.

Can't make this shit up. This is so goddamn absurd that I would laugh, if the situation weren't so damn dire.

This is beyond capitalism. Most countries with universal, single-payer healthcare are capitalist. We just, you know, don't have for-profit hospitals because the very idea is so completely, disgustingly bonkers.

Hospitals are designed and staffed to do more than provide acute care for pneumonia.

Im a part of the system by which patients in hospitals and clinics get diagnoses from a pathologist. We have no work and I am furloughed.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just because the hospital is owned by government doesn't mean they have unlimited budget. The country hospital was about to lay people off before COVID-19

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hospitals should have just drank one less starbucks cup a day and make a rainy day fund.
Oh all, nationalize them.

It's unconscionable to me that Biden still does not support Medicare for All.
Medicare for all is great and all, but it's not going to fix the horrific ways that for profit hospitals are operating in this country.
It can blunt the harm for sure, depending on how we implement it, but at some point we will need to tackle head on the way our for profit health sector work, and I think that will be a much tougher fight than fixing the insurance side of things.
Hopefully this mess will wake people up.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
Fine time to be a non-essential employee for a hospital.

I can't believe airlines and cruise services are getting a bigger bailout than hospitals

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can you link a source for this? Thanks.

After doing a bit of browsing on Pubmed:

A systematic review and meta-analysis of studies comparing mortality rates of private for-profit and private not-for-profit hospitals https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC111211/
Fifteen observational studies, involving more than 26 000 hospitals and 38 million patients, fulfilled the eligibility criteria. In the studies of adult populations, with adjustment for potential confounders, private for-profit hospitals were associated with an increased risk of death [...]. The one perinatal study with adjustment for potential confounders also showed an increased risk of death in private for-profit hospitals

Hospitalization and Mortality Rates in Long-Term Care Facilities: Does For-Profit Status Matter? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26433862
Publicly funded for-profit facilities have significantly higher rates of both mortality and hospital admissions.

Association of for-profit hospital ownership status with intracranial hemorrhage outcomes and cost of care https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31783363
For-profit hospitals are associated with higher inpatient mortality, lengths of stay, and hospital charges compared with their nonprofit counterparts.

For-Profit Hospital Status and Carotid Artery Stent Utilization in US Hospitals Performing Carotid Revascularization https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28939675
For-profit hospital ownership is associated with a higher rate of CAS compared to nonprofit hospitals in those receiving carotid revascularization.

Hospital-ownership status and cesareans in the United States: The effect of for-profit hospitals https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28737270
This research suggests that women who give birth in for-profit hospitals are more likely to have cesareans than women who give birth in not-for-profit hospitals. This information is important to women when deciding where to give birth. Knowing which hospital characteristics are associated with a greater likelihood of cesarean is helpful since hospital cesarean rates may be difficult to find. These findings are also informative for obstetric professionals, who can implement improvement initiatives to decrease cesarean rates and improve the overall quality of care for childbearing women in the United States.

For-profit hospital ownership status and use of brachytherapy after breast-conserving surgery https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24787104
Operative care at for-profit hospitals was associated with increased use of the newer and more expensive RT modality, brachytherapy. Among the oldest women who are least likely to benefit from RT, operative care at a for-profit hospital was associated with greater overall use of RT, with this difference largely driven by the use of brachytherapy.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Funny thing is a lot of those administrators could probably cut their salaries and half, still be living comfortably and generate more revenue for the hospitals they run

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
I can already see Trumps reply....."If they are that bad at "business" they should close, there is no problems folks.

OP
OP
Sqrt

Sqrt

Oct 26, 2017
After doing a bit of browsing on Pubmed:

A systematic review and meta-analysis of studies comparing mortality rates of private for-profit and private not-for-profit hospitals https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC111211/

Hospitalization and Mortality Rates in Long-Term Care Facilities: Does For-Profit Status Matter? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26433862

Association of for-profit hospital ownership status with intracranial hemorrhage outcomes and cost of care https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31783363

For-Profit Hospital Status and Carotid Artery Stent Utilization in US Hospitals Performing Carotid Revascularization https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28939675

Hospital-ownership status and cesareans in the United States: The effect of for-profit hospitals https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28737270

For-profit hospital ownership status and use of brachytherapy after breast-conserving surgery https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24787104
Thanks.