• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

ABC said:
Donald Trump's namesake company is invoking attorney-client privilege in an attempt to shield certain documents from the New York Attorney General's office, which is conducting an investigation that will follow the president once he leaves office.

"There is no accountant-client privilege, and there is no engineer-developer privilege," Eric Haren, of the attorney general's office, said Tuesday during oral arguments.

Seven Springs Estate is one of four properties Attorney General Tish James is investigating over the way the Trump Organization valued them while seeking tax and other benefits from New York state.

At issue is whether the property's conservation easement is legitimate. The president's son, Eric, sat for a deposition.

Should be interesting to see how this plays out in the coming months.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
I have deli-client privilege - nobody knows what's on my sandwiches and nobody ever will.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Some more truly AMAZING logic from President Asshole.

They're probably used to that kind of shit working for them during the past 4 years. Like that time when Don Jr. claimed attorney client privilege (he is not an attorney), and he was allowed to roll with it. That kind of shit won't fly in an actual court.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
The attorney client privilege is fairly weak, especially in the corporate setting unless it is during and about a pending legal action. You can't just use it to shield anything for any reason.

However, there is a way to shield vendors if you have an outside law firm hire and pay them independently. I will sometimes do that to keep the vendor outside the scope of corporate control. It may not work, but it gives you an argument.

It's possible if they did everything right, they may get it, but I highly doubt they did.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
2b02ewx.jpg

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Innocent individuals don't go through all this trouble just for the hell of it. Dude is hiding something, and once January 21st hits, he can't hid behind the power of the White House.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting to get to enjoy New York tearing him apart this early, but I'm here for it.

Primus

Oct 25, 2017

This reporter had a live feed going during the hearing, so you can get a good idea of the actual arguments happening.

The judge seemed pretty interested in what Eric Haren of the NY State AG's office had to say, even going so far as to complement Haren for easily answering very hard questions the judge threw at him. The judge's clerk also went in on Trump's side on more than one occasion, pinning them down for answers when they were trying to deflect.

Never base a prediction on what happened in court, though. The ruling will come down later this afternoon.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Bahaha that is pretty damn flimsy on cursory glance, but we shall see.

Fake edit: and they were summarily owned. Thanks for playing, Trump idiots.

Last edited:

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Unless the acceptable argument is "well, he's totally the president now so anything he ever did or wrote ever should be protected forever if he wants it to", I don't see this standing up.

Waiting for that Democracy Docket counter to add yet more Ls.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump also doesn't have Bill Barr to toss his diseased bloated body in front of this now.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

This reporter had a live feed going during the hearing, so you can get a good idea of the actual arguments happening.

The judge seemed pretty interested in what Eric Haren of the NY State AG's office had to say, even going so far as to complement Haren for easily answering very hard questions the judge threw at him. The judge's clerk also went in on Trump's side on more than one occasion, pinning them down for answers when they were trying to deflect.

Never base a prediction on what happened in court, though. The ruling will come down later this afternoon.

Not sure how to imbed a tweet but that reporter said the Trump Org lost. They must hand over the documents.

Rocket Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This has to one of the dumbest defences. Professional engineers HAVE to hold public safety and the law as paramount, literally the opposite of hiding illegal shit your employer is doing.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the type of grasping at straws we saw with his 60 or so court losses to date that I love to see because this could put him in jail.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
"Accountant-client" privilege, come on son.

This is some Arrested Development shit. What's next, Maritime law?

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
NY is counting down until Jan 21st. Hope you are ready, you bitch mofo.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
With all those millions he grifted from his cult, you'd think he would spend some on getting better lawyers.