• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
This is why journalism is a pillar of society.
I often wonder what's going to happen in Russia politically once Putin kicks the bucket. Nobody can rule forever.
I was reading that Putin has plundered the country to such a degree that one of the main reasons for his presidency never being permitted to end is to prevent the absolute scale of it from being revealed for as long as possible. Another glasnost and perestroika scenario leading to collapse.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
There will be an enormous power vacuum when he croaks. Putin doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would have a successor ready to go because he'd fear the successor would try to take him down before it's time.

Correct. The real problem will be the gaggle of pretenders trying to out-Putin him.

They will be worse because in their quest for legitimacy they will try to go farther.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Being from the UK, I don't think I've ever heard of her, but wow, she's formidable. All the respect to her.
Also, America, please keep her safe!

Jesiatha

Oct 27, 2017
The second video is crazy. He goes on a long whataboutism rant regarding the 1/6 attack on the capitol building. Says that those "protestors" are being arrested or were even killed, when they were just trying to make a (can't remember if he said 'peaceful') political statement.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
The general problem is they never answer the question and often you probably don't know what the journalist asked and the media are friends and colleagues to stay on the greasy pole. It's never going to happen.
Sorry but that's bullshit access journalism.
If you want to be PR for politicians, go be PR.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I mean I think it's fair to assume that he just couldn't give any less of a fuck what happens after he's gone so why bother? nevermind any kind of fear or paranoia - he'd have to want what's best for his country and his people for it to even occur to him. At most he's seen maybe some papers cross his desk asking if they should wind up looking for someone to fit the bill that he just ignored and never signed and everyone working near him is smart enough to know what that means.
Drop it. LoL
Oh yeah, I highly doubt Putin cares about what happens after he dies. The man's petty enough that he may potentially have a sabotage plan as a "fuck you" for after his death.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Bravo, I very much hope she doesn't end up like the journalist who led the Panama Papers investigation, Daphne Caruana Galizia
I hope I'm right, but I don't think she is running such a high risk. She doesn't influence Russian politics and isn't saying anything that people don't know already. Having US journalists criticize him probably won't affect Putin back home. The Panama papers revealed something that was definitely not known publicly in such details and that was very much intended to stay secret forever.

kudos to her in any case, it's nice to see Putin taken to task for once.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Super brave woman. I wish journalists would have that kind of harsh questioning for any politician but this is especially crazy brave

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
It's much easier to hold other world leaders to account than our own. Nevertheless, a very brave line of questioning that should be commended.

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome reporter, I don't know if Putin could take the blowback of going after a non-Russian journalist but that is a real risk since you know he's at least having the plans drawn up.

I kinda imagine its like Death of Stalin movie.
It'll be this scene:

"I have documents on all of you!"

But with like 20 different dudes saying that to each other since we live in the information age. It's going to be very messy.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Putin will try and have her killed either. He can cover up his own bs but a foreign journalist calling him out?

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
This is why journalism is a pillar of society.

I was reading that Putin has plundered the country to such a degree that one of the main reasons for his presidency never being permitted to end is to prevent the absolute scale of it from being revealed for as long as possible. Another glasnost and perestroika scenario leading to collapse.
Isn't there some rumours/conspiracies that he's the wealthiest person alive? Like a few hundred billion?

Remmy2112

Nov 5, 2017
Isn't there some rumours/conspiracies that he's the wealthiest person alive? Like a few hundred billion?

Yes. He's got a piece of the pie of virtually every Russian business he's handed out to his inner circle of oligarchs, enough that he's the unofficial richest man in the world.

When he eventually dies those oligarchs and his generals are all going to fight over the country while Putin's corpse is still warm.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope our president pushed Putin this hard in their private meeti—

news.yahoo.com

Biden gifts Putin a crystal sculpture of an American bison and custom aviators during their first face-to-face meeting at Geneva summit

Aviators are President Joe Biden's go-to sunglasses. Russian President Vladimir Putin's new pair was made by Randolph USA.

He gave Putin some custom aviator sunglasses and a crystal bison??

sigh.
Thats just typical diplomacy. You don't need to be earnest with that crap.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
This was brave as hell. It's cool to see a journalist step up like this. It is tragic that we all now have to realistically worry about her safety.

maks

Oct 27, 2017
Dang. I think Biden disrespected her this same day too.

Edit: nope, bad source. Was another reporter.

Last edited:

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Dang. I think Biden disrespected her this same day too.

Do you really think that though? Like you read the original post where Rachel Scott asked Putin a question, and then linked a video where Biden apologized for snapping at Kaitlan Collins, and thought they were the same person?

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
I often wonder what's going to happen in Russia politically once Putin kicks the bucket. Nobody can rule forever.
It's very unlikely that Putin will have a competent successor trained, given the fact that such a successor will inherently pose a threat to Putin.

The best case scenario is a power struggle similar to that which occurred after Stalin's death, in which the "moderates" united to get rid of the nutjobs before said nutjobs could purge them in a relatively non-violent power struggle.

A worst case scenario (in the Russian perspective) would mean that disintegration of the Russian state in the form that it takes today - perhaps a Russian state would remain around Moscow and St. Petersburg, but there would be an extremely violent power struggle and the ethnic minorities would likely break away to form new states.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Brave.

And christ...Putin's response was straight up painful to listen to. "Yeah, I kill and imprison my political opponents, but you're in the midst of giving prison time to people who attempted a perfectly harmless violent insurrection!" Fuck off.
This is pretty poetic considering that the term 'whataboutism' literally originated as Soviet-era propaganda. Putin is just reading from his old playbook.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Incredible journalist. Seeing Putin wriggle and squirm is also a sight to behold.
There is none of that. He is untouchable. He knows it. He just won't admit he ordered these killings and imprisonments. He has zero reason too. If anything, he is watching people try to get him in a gotcha, but that doesn't matter. An article about in a paper won't do anything. The only thing removing Putin from power is foreign intervention, assassination, death by natural causes, or if the Russian people protest him to jail/death.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I hope our president pushed Putin this hard in their private meeti—

news.yahoo.com

Biden gifts Putin a crystal sculpture of an American bison and custom aviators during their first face-to-face meeting at Geneva summit

Aviators are President Joe Biden's go-to sunglasses. Russian President Vladimir Putin's new pair was made by Randolph USA.

He gave Putin some custom aviator sunglasses and a crystal bison??

sigh.

Heads of states exchanges gifts like this all the time, there are funny stories about some of them being bugged.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There will be an enormous power vacuum when he croaks. Putin doesn't seem like the kind of guy who would have a successor ready to go because he'd fear the successor would try to take him down before it's time.
You'd think he would learn from history. Stalin didn't choose a successor and the eventual winner of the power struggle, Cruschev, renounced Stalins actions and legacy.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You'd think he would learn from history. Stalin didn't choose a successor and the eventual winner of the power struggle, Cruschev, renounced Stalins actions and legacy.

You think someone like Putin gives a FUCK what happens after he dies? These dictators always think they're immortal, and if they're gonna die, everyone else deserves to suffer for it (see Hitler and the Nero Decree)

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The successor will probably be a Maduro, the kind of idiot that doesn't actually pose a threat to the ruler. God help those still alive when he takes power.