• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa

Manu Raju

@mkraju

ABC poll: How serious of a problem is it that President Trump encouraged the Ukrainian President to investigate Joe Biden and his son, Hunter? Very serious 43% Somewhat serious 21% Not so serious 19% Not serious at all 17%

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sixty-three percent believe Trump's call to the Ukrainian president, encouraging him to leak information about Biden's son is a serious issue, but less than a fifth are surprised by his behavior.

That's something at least.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
z1t7QXQ.jpg

c9JqZeQ.jpg

SueQq9O.jpg

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
36% of this country would rather have Russia in charge of our government than the Democrats.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
36% is in line with Trump's base which means independents/undecideds are breaking in favor of this being a serious issue.

OP
OP
Shard Shinjuku
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
It's legit a big deal, his insane base (35% of the country) will never care what he does but the fact that independents seemingly care is a seismic shift, first scandal for him that has finally taken hold.

There is always going to be a base of a base in American politics as even Nixon on the eve of his Impeachment/Investigation still had like 25 percent.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting to note that the not serious numbers and the not following the story numbers are almost identical. Those people are clearly his base.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I think Trump's floor is really 15 to 20%. Those are the racists and bigots. There others in the 36% are diet racists that ignore the bigotry and live in a delusional world where Trump is an economic genius and Obama caused economic anxiety, despite factually Obama had better annual .inx performance and unemployment % improvements. If the economy tanks this group's bubble bursts.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
New Yawk City!
Nixon had a solid 25 to 35? percent base of support right until he resigned. Some people will never give up on him.

Meanwhile on planet Earth, those are some bad early numbers for the president. The story broke through for a lot of people quickly and hit their internal Richter scales hard. And with more revelations on Trump's misuse of the classification system practically on the hour, those numbers might worsen.

Also a little telling, to me, is how the percentages indicate that a lot of soft Trump supporters might be bothered by this. 64 percent of respondents were pressed by this nonsense and the president is lucky to poll on the low 40s for approvals.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Since Trumps approval numbers held at low 40s except for one poll if this truly represented his base like you assume (I don't see it representing that) then that would be a healthy sign of erosion.

Trump's lowest approval in Gallup is 35. Barring complete economic collapse, it's unlikely he'll get much lower. Those are the committed ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Trumpublicans going to go Trump-qaedq when everything is all said and done. Should start getting ready to label them a national security threat and terrorists, not that they aren't already.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
These are bad numbers for Trump. Never forget that Hoover still got 40% of the vote in 1932. He still got blown the fuck out.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that 80% of the country is not surprised says a lot about how normalized his behavior has become

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
You know what thought is always in the back of my head?

I know several people who support this piece of shit but when asked or polled will say they don't support him out of fear of being ridiculed. How many thousands of people out there are like this? What if these polls are off?

Sorry, just some Sunday morning worries.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
These are bad numbers for Trump. Never forget that Hoover still got 40% of the vote in 1932. He still got blown the fuck out.
I think it's hard for people to contextualize a blowout, but like, this is what the 2018 House results would have looked like in the Electoral College:

And that map is slightly outdated - Arizona did end up going for the Democrats, and North Carolina had one Congressional race where the Republican ran uncontested. Had even a generic Democrat run there, it probably would have been enough to overcome their lead in the Congressional vote. Additionally, Georgia, Ohio and Montana ended up being within five points (the reason Texas is shaded pink there).

Not saying it'll be easy (the Democratic nominee will no doubt be tarred and feathered as badly as Clinton was, although I'm not convinced it'll stick in the same way), but like, even on that map you can see how Democrats just blew Republicans the fuck out in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania last year.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
You know what thought is always in the back of my head?

I know several people who support this piece of shit but when asked or polled will say they don't support him out of fear of being ridiculed. How many thousands of people out there are like this? What if these polls are off?

Sorry, just some Sunday morning worries.

The shy trump voter effect was just a myth.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Not surprised. Problem is he won't be removed from office because Republicans covet that 36 percent too much.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
43% are probably full impeachment supporters.
21% are mittens.
19% are basically the senators that are going around saying "I haven't read anything yet, but I don't think it's that big of a deal"
The rest are full MAGAs

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
And I guarantee you if on the day of Nixon's resignation he was up for re-election he'd have received more than 29% of the vote.
Back then it probably would have been around 40%.

Now? Bump that up to 45%.

55-45 is the best result I see for any Democrat against Trump next year. Would still be a wipeout in the Electoral College (see the above map, maybe flip Texas, Georgia and Ohio), pad the House majority a little and deliver the Senate.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Isn't it already implied in the whole thing? I don't really get making that distinction. If you know anything about this scandal, you know about that part as well, I would think.
I would say no. If the question were "How serious of a problem is it that President Trump encouraged the Ukrainian President to investigate Joe Biden and his son by means of selling arms to Ukraine?" I think you get more people to say it is a serious problem. Because you aren't necessarily only getting people on these polls that know all of it. The fact that only the first part without the second is still polling really badly is something.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

rx6Ar4n.png

ekfDXmY.png

uhVgwAM.png

mUbe1X3.png

southpaw
@nycsouthpaw

CBS published a Monmouth poll on Aug 22 that found 41% of Americans supported an impeachment inquiry (72% Ds, 39% Inds, 8% Rs). https://www.monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/monmouthpoll_us_082219/ …

CBS's new YouGov poll finds that 55% support for an impeachment inquiry (87% Ds, 49% Inds, 23% Rs). https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-impeachment-inquiry-poll-cbs-news-poll-finds-majority-of-americans-and-democrats-approve/ … https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1178316330631663616 …

With the caveat that I'm comparing different pollsters here, the indication that all the different partisan groups have moved more or less in lockstep toward supporting the impeachment process (Ds +15%, Inds +10%, Rs +15%) seems more significant than the play it's getting.

12:14 PM - Sep 29, 2019

Jie Li

Alt account
Banned
Dec 21, 2018
Even if they think it's serious doesn't mean GOP voters will vote Warren or Sanders. I am very pessimistic.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It breaks down along partisan lines, real fuckin' neato.

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that 23% of Republicans support the impeachment process amazes me. I was seriously expecting single digits.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Even if they think it's serious doesn't mean GOP voters will vote Warren or Sanders. I am very pessimistic.
Conservative voters aren't gonna vote D in significant numbers, that's not the point. You want their vote depressed. They're less likely to turn out for someone they think deserves to be pushed out of office.