• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017

You ask "Why do we keep giving them attention?"
Honestly, I ask the same thing.

Expect A LOT more of these type of interviews before Biden is even in Office or worse, DURING it.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Did these idiots ever interview BLM leaders or they only like to coddle up to white racists?

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
The main culprit is the media. The same media that keeps giving attention to Trump himself.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
"Fake news" was such a powerful tool and so detrimental to this country. "Anything I don't want to believe is fake and I need absolutely no proof" there is no reasoning here. Of course it has always existed in some form but never as blatantly as it does now.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Trump wins: Let's go talk to Trump supporters about that.
Trump loses: Let's go talk to Trump supporters about that.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how one man has amassed such a collective of society's most absolutely stupid people.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
🤔

"Fake news" was such a powerful tool and so detrimental to this country. "Anything I don't want to believe is fake and I need absolutely no proof" there is no reasoning here. Of course it has always existed in some form but never as blatantly as it does now.
I really want some interviewer to ask them if they knew this was how Hitler came to power - by delegitimizing the press.

But I'm also sort of afraid of what the answers will be.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
It's like reality TV, or Judge Judy, or the old school Jerry Springer: the viewing public can't get enough of watching dumb fucks say dumb shit. And ratings drive revenue.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
My father in law (in the U.K.) is one of these. He thinks Trump won 80%! of the votes, all the postal votes were fraudulent and Trump is sitting on the evidence for three or so weeks before he releases it. When asked why he's waiting three weeks there's no real reason given, obvs.

He said as well that he doesn't watch any TV news anymore but gets it all from YouTube as it resonates more with him.

He's sent me some of the stuff he watches and it's as batshit crazy as you can think.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC
IT's because the news media likes to treat this group as "The other" and of course it makes them feel emboldened to be wrong

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Really hate how the media keeps giving these asshats a platform to sprew their bullshit.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
"I just lost my cousin to Covid, but I dont believe all the pre-cautions are worth it."

Yep, those are Trump voters.

Oct 27, 2017
Weren't Trump voters "the silent majority" in 2016? And now these guys are shocked that Biden won because he didn't have boat and truck parades and his supporters don't obnoxious campaign T-shirts and hats. lol.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
I'm telling you, this is step one, attempting to rehabilitate/empathize the Trumpers, step 2 will be carrying water for their arguments and framing them at Biden as legit grievances their administration must answer for. That any attempt to allow justice to happen to the prior administration will be shaded with bad faith water carrying of right wing accusations of political hackery and unjust motive, moving centrists back into the space where they think Democrats are going too far, therefore once again driving Democrats to think that simply forgiving and forgetting is how the country needs to move forward...even as that same Republicangroup is emboldening their illiberalism and anti-democratic, violent language.

This is exactly what happened at the end of Bush and during the rise of the Tea Party and its utter fucking poison to our democracy and discourse.

The media is by and large driven by conflict, sensationalism, and a reflexive sensitivity and overcompensation to their bad faith right wing critics accusing them of bias, to the point much of the media pre-empts it these days by rushing to cover Republicans and hyper boost the few arguments that don't immediately crumble apart.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Why do they want opinions from dumbasses, this is exactly how we got in this mess lmao

We don't need to hear what anti-vaxx Karen on facebook has to say because it's meaningless

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I wish it was as hard for me to believe that Trump got 70 million+ votes as it is for these people to believe Biden did the same

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Urgh, the media needs to stop platforming the bullshit. There's no "both sides". There's a domestic terrorist anti-science death cult, and we need to see their message brushed away so it can't spread like some kind of viru........oh.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to squeeze a redemption arc out of racist whites and their tap-dancing friends is more important than leaving them behind, because it staves off the uncomfortable reality that these people are consciously irredeemable, and otherwise empathetic white people who voted for Biden cannot handle the consequences of just how legitimately horrible their own family and acquaintances are. As a result, there is a legit emotional demand for these repetitive-ass stories, hence why news media keeps airing and publishing them. It's also why you will never see similar op-eds regarding minorities and white liberals/leftists who voted for Biden. While there is a long-term need for a media landscape that reflects the reality that we are the majority, there isn't the same emotional crisis with us. There's no redemption arc to be had, no sliver of hope that we can be pulled from the edge of depravity, and thus no story. (Also, no one really, truly cares about black and brown people regardless, but that goes without saying. Herpaderp.)

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tired of all these Trump voter profiles. It's fucking stupid that Trump lost and media is still trying to feed off this shit

Darkgran

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares what these idiots have to say. The media is terrible. We need to ignore all trump supporters.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
In that clip why did she not explain why masks DO work?? Why do they always just smile and nod???

The mask isn't stopping the microscopic virus itself, its stopping the droplets that carry the virus.
And while yes, masks are only partially effective, if 2 people wearing masks come near each other, the masks are 75% more effective
(because any droplets etc would have to pass through 2 masks)

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Welp, there goes any fleeting hope I had of never having to hear about these trashy people ever again. The media is obsessed with them but I guess profiting off broadcasting these trainwrecks is nothing new.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
engagement, clicks, shares, comments, $$$ drives stories, not the public interest

this story got your attention, you reacted, you shared it, and now its further distributed.

thats why

Last edited:

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
If the media would just blackout trump and his dumbass supporters, that'll be a good start.

You fucking lost bro. Hold the L and swallow that salt.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
just wait until after january when their ratings start to drop because there isn't a scandal every second in the WH. it's not going to stop

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The LA Times. ABC. Do they just have a consensus rotation where they each take turns empowering the Trump backers who live in their own fantasy land? Will these media empires not be satisfied until they've successfully destroyed American democracy by empowering would-be fascists to become their heroes?

And when can the progressive left start protesting the media for not deplatforming these people? Because it sounds to me like the answer is never.

I'm trying to remember, did they do this for Hillary voters back in 2016?
The answer to your question is no.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
This is why I stopped giving money to NPR - they keep legitimizing nonsense by giving people a reputable(ish) platform to spew their garbage and the only pushback they give is some meek protest that the interviewee plows right through.

just wait until after january when their ratings start to drop because there isn't a scandal every second in the WH. it's not going to stop

They'll turn every minor gaffe into a kids in cages level scandal without hesitation.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
Trying to squeeze a redemption arc out of racist whites and their tap-dancing friends is more important than leaving them behind, because it staves off the uncomfortable reality that these people are consciously irredeemable, and otherwise empathetic white people who voted for Biden cannot handle the consequences of just how legitimately horrible their own family and acquaintances are. As a result, there is a legit emotional demand for these repetitive-ass stories, hence why news media keeps airing and publishing them. It's also why you will never see similar op-eds regarding minorities and white liberals/leftists who voted for Biden. While there is a long-term need for a media landscape that reflects the reality that we are the majority, there isn't the same emotional crisis with us. There's no redemption arc to be had, no sliver of hope that we can be pulled from the edge of depravity, and thus no story. (Also, no one really, truly cares about black and brown people regardless, but that goes without saying. Herpaderp.)

Quoting for visibility. This was especially noticeable to me when white SNL members brought their (trump-loving) mothers on-stage on mother's day 2018 for the cold open skit. Not sure 100% those parents were genuine Trump supporters, but it rang true regardless.

People will stand by their badly-behaving family members.Just because they're shitty to POCs and every conceivable minority doesn't mean they're "bad people". After all, they're nice to them, their own blood.

JasonV

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I stopped giving money to NPR - they keep legitimizing nonsense by giving people a reputable(ish) platform to spew their garbage and the only pushback they give is some meek protest that the interviewee plows right through.

The NPR politics podcast has become unlistenable the last four years. Just constant normalisation to the point I think NPR would sleepwalk right into a fascist state without even noticing.

Avenger

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2019
Only thing they are right about was lock down hesitation and income, especially since senate has been dicking around