• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't realised people blamed her for the GotY changes, eventhough there were like 9 people her senior on the site during those. And three years later no less, wow.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure Jeff said that multiple years ago, not recently. I can't imagine it's true currently, page views certainly have dropped off over the past two years. But also, Jeff isn't going to say the site isn't doing well. Vinny's newsletter about "trying to stay revenue positive" certainly didn't sound as good.

Cogniferous

Oct 27, 2017
England
I'll miss Abbey a lot. She was a breath of fresh air and part of the reason I prefer the Beastcast over the regular Bombcast. I haven't gotten as far as the announcement in the podcast yet but I hope she's leaving because she has something else lined up and not just because she's been let go. I'll definitely be interested in seeing what she does next!

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Abby brought a real youthful energy to the team, and also a lot of new and relatable perspectives that filled some real gaps in the Giant Bomb collective consciousness. Maybe that energy and perspective didn't match what some people seemed to demand or expect of GB but, for me, she brought something really special and it's been great to see her develop as a public personality as well. It's a real loss for them. I hope whatever she does next is public-facing as I will likely follow her in games or otherwise, but either way I wish her the best and I'm sure she'll do great wherever she ends up.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Love the folks reading tea leaves to determine the future of the site.
Love the folks bringing up their grudges over game of the year discussions.
Love the folks thinking Abby treating her job like a job is bad.
Perfectly normal behavior.

Era is the best.

:))))))

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
She added much needed energy to the GB bubble but man I had a tough time listening to her general video game opinions or taste in games (COD/Fortnite mainly). Also, lots of "whatevers" when she didn't agree or understand certain stuff during GOTY-discussions or in podcasts.

Besides that, I do appreciate her great spirit during the East streams, I'll miss that.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Jeff said that multiple years ago, not recently. I can't imagine it's true currently, page views certainly have dropped off over the past two years. But also, Jeff isn't going to say the site isn't doing well. Vinny's newsletter about "trying to stay revenue positive" certainly didn't sound as good.
Rorie recently said in the forums that they've been really happy with their current sales results, and unless something truly unexpected hits them, they'll financially secure for a long time. This was during the pandemic, as well. Giant Bomb is more than fine. Vinny wanting to be revenue positive makes sense because the ad revenue in every industry is down. They'll be fine.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The site is in the process of being sold and two people have left since the beginning of this year. Of course people are going to talk about the future of the site, whether you like it or not.
I can't speak for Abby's motivations, but Dan got the offer of a lifetime. He was extremely clear that in no other world would he have left Giant Bomb.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It should have been handled better I do agree. But also, if I was a new hire into a job and was in a meeting I wouldn't push my idea forward and then when senior members disagreed I wouldn't argue with them for hours.
Jesus. It's a game of the year discussion, not a business meeting where they make decisions about the future of the site or whatever.

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like you could leave the rampant site speculation and doomposting outside of the thread about a person leaving the site, but maybe that's just me?

Like I'd much rather celebrate Abby taking the initiative in the various House Party Charity Streams during this pandemic that not only raised money for a lot of good causes and also showcased a lot of people that normally aren't on the site.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
These kind of takes disappoint me. Criticism is no longer allowed, anyone who says anything negative is a hater.

Abby was one of my favorite current bombers in some regards.

There's a distinct difference between constructive criticism and someone who comes into the thread and writes "good, I hate ___". Notice who's been getting banned and who hasn't. The banned ones are who I'm pointing out. Feel free to write a differing opinion, just be well thought out about it and not drive-by fuel to the fire.

Also, it's just kind of weird to wait until a person retires or leaves a company to finally voice your grievances about said company as some sort of "got em" moment.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sad that Abby is leaving, but I've always felt that Abby wanted more than what Giantbomb could offer her. I hope it was a good experience, and that it helped her get to where she wants to go.

mdf/markus

Oct 30, 2017
I'm also sad about seeing Austin, Drew, Dan and now Abby go. GB really had a feeling for talent with all of these.

I still feel like Giant Bomb will come out just fine from the acquisition.
If I had to guess, my bet is on no new hirings in the near future and west and east offering two podcasts with some guys from both crews in them (Brad hosts Bomb, Vinny Beast).

Could live with that as I'm really enjoying The Hotspot with their old crew energy.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Apropos of nothing, where did Dave Snider end up at?

I loved his contributions back in the day.

Last edited:

Chrisahc

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I ended up quite liking her in the end, but at the end of the day she just wasn't as interested in games as I think you need to be to be a key contributor on a site like this. I see her as similar to Drew in that sense. Both were good fun on video, but fell apart a bit when talking deeply about games on the podcasts.

And it's not because she is a woman either, there are a number of women in the gaming press that clearly are more into videogames and can talk about them at a much higher level - Mary Kish, Allanah Pearce and Danielle Riendeau spring to mind immediately.

I never found Abby's insights into games particularly enlightening, beyond being a fun personality on video.

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed what she brought to some of the features, and I'm going to miss Seven Crazy Frights if they don't continue it in subsequent years. It was really interesting watching the Clue Crew videos she started, but it's a shame they never evolved beyond Nancy Drew games that both she and Alex seemed to be losing interest in playing. I hope she finds something more fulfilling for her.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ended up quite liking her in the end, but at the end of the day she just wasn't as interested in games as I think you need to be to be a key contributor on a site like this. I see her as similar to Drew in that sense. Both were good fun on video, but fell apart a bit when talking deeply about games on the podcasts.

And it's not because she is a woman either, there are a number of women in the gaming press that clearly are more into videogames and can talk about them at a much higher level - Mary Kish, Allanah Pearce and Danielle Riendeau spring to mind immediately.

I never found Abby's insights into games particularly enlightening, beyond being a fun personality on video.

i do think her ability to speak on more casual games like the sims and fortnite was valuable though. My girlfriend loved listening to the beast cast because she loves the sims, despite not really playing other games. Abby was her primary way of hearing about new expansions and features. We over look it, but the ability to speak to the casual gamer is important for broadening your audience. I loved fortnite with st vincent, despite not being a fortnite fan.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Shame, best of luck to her.

Too bad that puts GB East back on life support and I kinda doubt they are going through a hiring process like now with the pandemic.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg

Nailed my thoughts about her. And if you need casual talk about Fortnite and COD - just take a peek on your random mainstream twitch streamer?

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I'll agree with this, she was however a great personality to have around. Definitely livened up the content a bit.

wish her all the best.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Abby is a super casual player. She is replaying Obra Dinn on her Switch, as every casual player does... /s

The probably played the most diverse set of games out of the beast cast. Her and Alex.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria

What nonsense.
She originated some of the most diverse and fun content on the site since Dan left and even before that.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
Tbh I haven't followed GB in a while, pretty much since Abby and Ben joined. I dropped a little after them, so I missed most of the highlights people posted in the thread. I do have an impression of Abby from back in the day, and she didn't seem that much interested in games back then, probably that changed but realistically maybe that's the reason she's moving forward, maybe this was just a job for her while she was able to find something she is really passionate about.

Either way, good luck to her and I hope GB finds someone talented since GB East really need someone to balance out the negative that Alex brings.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Abby is a super casual player. She is replaying Obra Dinn on her Switch, as every casual player does... /s

The probably played the most diverse set of games out of the beast cast. Her and Alex.

oh i wasnt saying she was "casual". I was only saying her ability to speak on popular games among those who dont identify as "gamers", like the sims and fortnite, was important. And i appreciated that those games got attention rather than get dismissed as they would on the bombcast. Sorry i wasnt looking to start drama. I love her and wish her the best.

Oct 27, 2017

if you have you come out and say 'and its not because she's a woman either... see here's all these other women i do like:" than your critique is definitely because she's a woman.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Tbh I haven't followed GB in a while, pretty much since Abby and Ben joined. I dropped a little after them, so I missed most of the highlights people posted in the thread. I do have an impression of Abby from back in the day, and she didn't seem that much interested in games back then, probably that changed but realistically maybe that's the reason she's moving forward, maybe this was just a job for her while she was able to find something she is really passionate about.

Either way, good luck to her and I hope GB finds someone talented since GB East really need someone to balance out the negative that Alex brings.
So you have no watched anything for over 3 years but still think you are qualified enough to talk about how the site and their personalities do.
The hot takes just keep coming.

Oct 25, 2017
I liked her interactions with Dan, after Dan left I didn't really pay that much attention to the East but she will be missed, cant imagine a reason why east and west cant combine more now that everything is online anyway.

Anti

Banned
Nov 22, 2017
Australia
So you have no watched anything for over 3 years but still think you are qualified enough to talk about how the site and their personalities do.
The hot takes just keep coming.
Some of you are so delicate, it was a joke on Alex, it's like saying "I've heard Brad is leaving too"

You guys don't even get the classics, seriously. The only person I didn't like left years and years ago, who was Keplek, I disliked him since the 1up days.

Either way, the community is a reason why I stopped following GB, you guys are insufferable.

Everill

Banned
Dec 2, 2018
That Baldur's gate 3 game Abby was really excited to get back into is a real casual game....

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Some of you are so delicate, it was a joke on Alex, it's like saying "I've heard Brad is leaving too"

You guys don't even get the classics, seriously. The only person I didn't like left years and years ago, who was Keplek, I disliked him since the 1up days.

Either way, the community is a reason why I stopped following GB, you guys are insufferable.
Sure.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe they should shift Ben over to East. Have him bounce off of the folks there instead of only Jeff.

i do think the bombcast needs some talent that can easily bounce off of brad and jeff. I think jason has some great insight but hes a pretty quiet dude. And ben and jan seem to not have much to say about news stories unless its some kind of joke. Which works well on the aftermath, but on the bombcast id like a little more insight out of ben.

Chrisahc

Banned
Sep 19, 2020
if you have you come out and say 'and its not because she's a woman either... see here's all these other women i do like:" than your critique is definitely because she's a woman.

Not at all, it's a response to people who claim criticism directed towards her is because she is a woman. I had the same criticisms towards Drew and I prefer Abby on video.