• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
I'm fine with giving entire platform holders the next couple of months off entirely. Let's all just go home and take care of our families while we wait for the vaccines.
Issue is once the vaccine is here does not mean its safe time yet as noted in other threads some should wait to see any adverse reactions. Then their is the matter if a huge portion of the population refuses to vaccinate then the vaccine becomes useless as we create a super virus.

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I'm anticipating Game Pass related information for Christmas and/or 2021. Last year, I thought Microsoft knocked it out the park with the console reveal and Senua's Saga. I must have watched the Hellblade trailer a dozen times that night. Really interested to see what XGS has for 2021 because I think it will be a relatively quiet year before their first-party goes crazy in 2022+.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I feel like that tells me nothing. There's a big gulf between a regular game announcement, and being the first to formally unveil the next generation of consoles.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Not as big as last year means literally nothing. Like yeah you're not revealing a new console, no shit.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Ok, but are we still getting to see some Elden Ring gameplay or not?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not as big as last year means literally nothing. Like yeah you're not revealing a new console, no shit.
I mean, it just takes a bit of critical thinking here lol. He's saying to dial expectations down, that's the message. Hopefully grown adults don't need to be spoon fed literal messaging like "so last year was a console announcement, this year is two games" to remain civil.

Point is, keep expectations low and you'll only leave happily surprised.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope it will be a fun thing to watch. Not expecting any announcements. Maybe some cool DLC for a random game.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
It will more than likely be Game Pass related, with some long-awaited additions. I'm expecting something on the level of when Yakuza or NieR or the older FF games were introduced to the Xbox platform.

And thankfully no acquisitions tomorrow

I mean, yeah… an industry wide awards show is no place for news of an acquisition flex.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I always get my expectations up for reveal events like this and then get disappointed because my tastes don't match what these events are for. I'm already assuming that the reason why they have a singer from Atlus is because they were planning on announcing the P5S release date at this thing (which is a non-announcement now due to the leak) and not for anything actually exciting like a Persona 6 announcement or a big gameplay trailer for SMT5 or Re:Fantasy.

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I'm not expecting new game announcements from Xbox for a while. It felt like they showed a lot of games for 2021/2022 earlier this year. I'm welcome to being surprised, but my expectations are low.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
What is see is basically one or two major announcements (one of those being Blinx remake) and some minor gamepass announcements.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Don't know why they drop new stuff ahead of the VGA's just to not show up at the VGA's. Crazy but they are all over the place.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
It is better this way. Manage expectations. Promising too much only leads to dissatisfaction.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Sure, I mean, Xbox is not my platform of choice, so I never go into these things hoping to see their announcements. Sony on the other hand... I have high expectations, yes.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I like this! I'd rather go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised than the opposite.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Better to under promise and over deliver. He's doing g right by dialling back expectations.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
When your last TGA announcement was literally unveiling a console, I feel like saying this is the equivalent of saying "temper your expectations, I wouldn't expect anything like us buying Zenimax."

MavFan619

Oct 25, 2017
New York
It will more than likely be Game Pass related, with some long-awaited additions. I'm expecting something on the level of when Yakuza or NieR or the older FF games were introduced to the Xbox platform.

I mean, yeah… an industry wide awards show is no place for news of an acquisition flex.
It would be kinda sick if some big dev gets an award and MS comes out like the NWO and spraypaints them to announce an acquisition.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All i know is, after the major halo Delay, xbox needs at least one major title for the first half of next year. Odds are there probably wont be, but as someone who owns both consoles, and plays both regulalrly, im less excited about my xbox in the forseeable future than i am my ps5

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
We already knew it was coming though. If they'd had proper details or shown something playable it would have been exciting.

What do you mean by we already knew? We didn't know the name of the console or what it looked like. We didn't know Hellblade 2 was in development. Both of those announcements essentially came from out of nowhere.

I'm happy that I can still get excited for stuff that's not a live demo or a teardown. Lol.

I hope it came across that I was being sarcastic. The Series X reveal was probably the biggest moment of the entire show last year. I find it crazy that some look back on it as if it were barely a blip on the radar.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
They haven't actually done anything to hype the event though have they? Why are people so awful at expectation management, always.

It isn't MS fault. They are stuck in a bad place. Geoff is doing an amazing job at hyping up the event. Then there are the actual presenters for the awards. Some of those celebrities are big time. That is leading people to believe there are some huge announcements in store for the show. Also, Geoff announced between 12-15 reveals.

MS is a stakeholder in this award show. They know what they are bringing to the table. Their marketing department should also be aware of Geoff hyping this event to the high moon. Geoff always overhypes. Greenberg's tweet is either setting expectations low, so they can be exceeded. Or his department was caught with their pants down at how big this event will be, and are now doing early DC.

We shall see. The stakes have definitely been raised.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I mean, if MS is saying don't get your hopes up, I think it would be wise not to get your hopes up.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
The Game Awards are always over-hyped to begin with, so unless he's doing reverse psychology, it sounds like MS won't be bringing much to the show. Pretty disappointing how slowly MS' first party is coming along. It's crazy that none of Bethesda's studios would have something at least in a teaser-quality state. Xbox could really use a Death Stranding type aspirational game right now, especially with the Halo double-delay.

This would be a really good time for Stadia first party to enter the scene. Between the scarcity of next-gen consoles, and the quiet next-gen launch window, Google could have a relatively open field to win some converts.