• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Aaliyah would have been one of the absolute greats, a singer who would rule next to the likes of Whitney Houston. A promising careeer brutally cut short. A damn damn shame.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Shit, sorry.

Well, it was a plane crash but yeah, maybe not the best way to describe her ascending stardom.

Regardless, she was clearly going places.
No worries, it was more in jest than offense since I know it wasn't on purpose. ;D

But yeah, it was incredibly tragic. I remember the day it happened, my sister who was a huge fan, was just bawling over it.

latex

Jul 5, 2018
It's pretty wild how fresh her music sounds to this day.

She pulled magic out of everyone she worked with. What a talent!

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
RIP Aaliyah. She was definitely my favorite of The Big 3 R&B girls at the time (Aaliyah, Brandy, Monica). Her final album remains such an experimental sleeper.

Also, and maybe this is selfish of me, but I really wish her family would get over their "preserving her legacy" BS stance and release her music to streaming services. Streaming is the future, streaming is now. And it's sad that her best music and her legacy isn't being kept alive among younger fans who don't have access to the music but don't buy albums. Even Prince eventually got over that.

Slappy White

Oct 27, 2017
I always remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard she died which is strange because I barely knew about her when she was alive. I came to find out how amazing she was though. It makes me feel old to think she'd now be 40 because I'm not too far behind her.

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty wild how fresh her music sounds to this day.

She pulled magic out of everyone she worked with. What a talent!

Yep.. She worked some magic in the studio. Producers who never got close to the stuff they put out working with her.

Her s/t last album is a true masterpiece.

For me personally she's the rnb GOAT. Doesn't matter that she didn't have writing credits on her stuff or whatever. Read the oral histories of her album productions. The people involved are forced to resort to waxing lyrical about her effect on people because they can't quite explain it -- she brought some inexplicable energy out of her collaborators, through sheer force of presence she made those songs happen and she's as much an author of them as the producers.

jadjei

Nov 23, 2017
Look at this creepy ass motherfucker creeping on the cover of her first album:
Aaliyah-age-aint-94.jpg
This, it makes me feel weird while listening to some of the songs on the album because R Kelly wrote the lyrics.

EDIT: Still a good album though.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember hearing one of her songs on the radio not so long ago thinking "man, this could totally be a no.1 pop single right now". She would have been a huge star especially in that 2004-2008 era where Timbaland was everywhere.

Violater

Nov 19, 2017
Not putting the albums on a streaming service don't seem to make sense, when you can just play them on youtube.

OP
OP
Linkura

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
And you think I was intentionally mocking that with my phrasing?

Because I made it pretty fucking clear that wasn't the intention.
No, just letting you know the fact that it is indeed in poor taste, whether or not it was intentional.

I thought I made it pretty fucking clear that was my intention. (What's with your hostility? Geez.)

Deleted member 21

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
The sheer amount of hits this woman has produced is just mind-boggling. Definitely my favorite female RnB act from the 90s to early 2000s

The voice and swag were just on another level, and her music hasn't aged a bit (especially those Timbaland joints whew)

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No, just letting you know the fact that it is indeed in poor taste, whether or not it was intentional.

I thought I made it pretty fucking clear that was my intention. (What's with your hostility? Geez.)

It's only poor taste if my intention was to make a joke.

I used a relatively innocuous idiom to express her rapid ascension without the slightest intention of levity. Once it was pointed out, I immediately walked it back because I would never make light of her death, especially given that I've seen others do similarly vulgar things regarding the passing of people I admired and respected.

It seemed like you were dogpiling after the fact but if that wasn't your intention then I apologize for my earlier coarse response.

Also, I'm sorry if that choice of expression derailed your thread even in the slightest. Again, that wasn't my intention.

Wes D. Mess

Avenger
Aug 11, 2018
Chicago
With all the movies she was starring in it looked like she was just getting started too. Damn shame

I legit can't listen to her first album because of R. Kelly. Too creepy.

Supposedly her uncle has rights to the music and chooses to keep her music off streaming platforms

Coincidentally Ive been listening to her music for the first time in a while

Check out Kendricks tribute to her

While we're at it, who remembers Drakes attempt to make an album with her

God, fuck Drake

Dec 12, 2017
Controversial take but if Aaliyah doesn't pass away, does Ciara get on like she did?

Same way I felt about Ja Rule with Tupac passing away.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing artist. Wish she was still here. So much untapped potential that got cut short

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Love her, ever since her first album when I was in 7th grade...got it through that god awful Columbia House CD mail scam.

Loved her songs/music videos, especially her collaborations with Timbaland and Missy Elliot. My friends and I were obsessed with Are you that Somebody, Try Again, We Need A Resolution(!), etc...

Her death hit me pretty hard...my dad had just passed away that June...the day b4 she died, my Mom and I took a trip from NY to North Carolina to stay with family there for a few days. I had no cable, no internet...I found out from a relative and I immediately thought it was a false rumor or prank or something...hated not being able to go online to read up and confirm.

The sheer randomness of it really depressed me...then 9/11 shortly followed. The whole year reeked of death to me.

I listened to her self titled final album a crazy amount of times. Her growth as an artist was evident, and her trajectory on the rise. Would have loved to see her in the Matrix sequels (someone mentioned Jada Pinkett Smith, but I though Aaliyah would have been Nona Gaye's character instead?)

takufox

Oct 27, 2017
I was in single digits when she passed away, I remember not understanding completely what happened but she was one of my Mom and Dad's favorites, and she quickly became on of mine! Her music often filled my house... those were good times. I remember as a young gay child seeing her music videos on MTV and copying her dance moves. They way she moved was so smooth and effortless. Her voice was so clear and soothing. What a shame to have such a talent wasted in a tragic accident.

One of my very favorite live performances of hers below:

OP
OP
Linkura

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It's only poor taste if my intention was to make a joke.

I used a relatively innocuous idiom to express her rapid ascension without the slightest intention of levity. Once it was pointed out, I immediately walked it back because I would never make light of her death, especially given that I've seen others do similarly vulgar things regarding the passing of people I admired and respected.

It seemed like you were dogpiling after the fact but if that wasn't your intention then I apologize for my earlier coarse response.

Also, I'm sorry if that choice of expression derailed your thread even in the slightest. Again, that wasn't my intention.
Wasn't my intention to dogpile. No one else had mentioned that her plane literally exploded so I just thought I'd mention it. I know your intentions weren't to cause any issues, but someone could interpret them quite negatively because of that and I just wanted to make sure it was known.

Controversial take but if Aaliyah doesn't pass away, does Ciara get on like she did?

Same way I felt about Ja Rule with Tupac passing away.
Ciara probably not. She honestly isn't that talented (though I could be wrong, just going by her hits). I don't think Missy would have latched onto her if Aaliyah were still alive.

Ja Rule had completely different music than Tupac imo so I don't think Tupac being around would have mattered much.

I was in single digits when she passed away, I remember not understanding completely what happened but she was one of my Mom and Dad's favorites, and she quickly became on of mine! Her music often filled my house... those were good times. I remember as a young gay child seeing her music videos on MTV and copying her dance moves. They way she moved was so smooth and effortless. Her voice was so clear and soothing. What a shame to have such a talent wasted in a tragic accident.

One of my very favorite live performances of hers below:

Lmao, not gay but I copied her dance moves too.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I bet she would have aged like fine wine too. Damn shame.

I always wonder what music she would have continued making.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's a shame she died so young. She seemed quite nice, and was a decent actress (I liked her in Queen of the Damned, even if the soundtrack was more memorable than the movie).

Not a fan of her type of music though.

OP
OP
Linkura

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame she died so young. She seemed quite nice, and was a decent actress (I liked her in Queen of the Damned, even if the soundtrack was more memorable than the movie).

Not a fan of her type of music though.
All I remember about Queen of the Damned is that she was barely in it and the rest of the movie was a bore.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
All I remember about Queen of the Damned is that she was barely in it and the rest of the movie was a bore.

I just remember that she was in it, that Jonathan Davis was and that the soundtrack he created was pretty awesome

I don't remember the plot of the movie, but can see it. Like almost all vampire movies, it was kind of boring.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I have all her albums. Aaliyah was my celebrity crush during my teenage years. Makes me sad because hertdeath could have been prevented.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Yep.. She worked some magic in the studio. Producers who never got close to the stuff they put out working with her.

Her s/t last album is a true masterpiece.

For me personally she's the rnb GOAT. Doesn't matter that she didn't have writing credits on her stuff or whatever. Read the oral histories of her album productions. The people involved are forced to resort to waxing lyrical about her effect on people because they can't quite explain it -- she brought some inexplicable energy out of her collaborators, through sheer force of presence she made those songs happen and she's as much an author of them as the producers.

This album, and this song are amazing. I play We Need a Resolution on the regular.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Reading that title kinda hurt. I wasn't prepared.

A few months ago I just had a week-long fascination with We Need A Resolution. The production is absolutely sublime:

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Ciara probably not. She honestly isn't that talented (though I could be wrong, just going by her hits). I don't think Missy would have latched onto her if Aaliyah were still alive.

I think there still would have been room for a Ciara. Ciara's first big song wasn't with Missy, it was with Jazze Pha (Goodies). But, besides that (because Missy was working with everyone back then), Aaliyah was starting to move away from the house party/club sound. I mean, she still made those tracks, but you can tell by her album "Aaliyah" that was starting to branch out more and experiment.

Funny enough, the person who I think would have had a harder time is Beyoncé. Not with her early stuff, but the music Beyoncé's making now with "Beyoncé" and "Lemonade" are along the same lines of the edgier R&B/Pop sound Aaliyah was just starting to dip her feet into.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Well, I mean, if we're sharing tracks and stuff...

I know it's sentimental, but even outside of the significance of this track, I've always thought this was a beautiful song and visual, and it really encapsulates who she was as an artist. Effortless, with a maturity and vocal delivery that was really beyond her years and really separated her from the other girls doing it at the time. This was a song I could imagine an old Neo-Soul singer doing, but Aaliyah was 21 when she recorded it and completely owns it.