• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Throw the book at him and make an example out of him. Sop much could have gone wrong from his recklessness that the punishment should be harsh enough other people don't try and do the same.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Whelp, I thought influencer culture couldn't get any worse, but somehow this guy managed to sink to new lows.

If the evidence of staging will hold up in court, this has got to face reckless endangerment charges at the very least. FAA revocation is a start but there's no way it's the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Even without any aviation background anyone should be able to see that he's full of shit. One of the worst acting I've seen in a YouTube video.

This kind of thing is jailable, right? He should go to jail for this.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Is there seriously a debate whether this is real or not?

- the engine went out
- there was seemingly no (at least not on camera) attempt to restart it
- no attempt to contact help
- no attempt to land the plane
- no necessity to jump out right away like the thing would explode in the next second

You take one look at it and see that this is staged for YouTube.

Oct 25, 2017

Leclair

May 3, 2021
Denmark
I like that in his other videos on his channel, he's not wearing the parachute he claims he's always wearing when flying

7rmINLo.png

WPb5Pv8.png

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
it's funny that he can't claim there was no chance the plane could have hit someone because a "random" farmer on a quad bike was in the are to coincidentally pick up once he landed.

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw critical's video about this back then. Clearly staged and he needs to lose his license to pilot anything at all.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
what the fuck was he expecting to gain from this? clout?

this is a fucking dumb way to go about things

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube need to ban this guy or at least demonitise all his videos due to this, jeez. Someone could've seriously been hurt or as someone else said in the thread he could've started a fire.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Youtube need to ban this guy or at least demonitise all his videos due to this, jeez. Someone could've seriously been hurt or as someone else said in the thread he could've started a fire.

I was thinking that there needs to be some regulations around monetising a video that contains a display of reckless endangerment.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He's probably gonna lose his flying license but will he see jail time? I mean I don't even think there's anything in the books for purposely crashing a plane. Just googling this gives no results about any possible prosecution.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
the pilot analayzing the video also said that, but why wouldn't you want to always have a parachute just in case?

It's more a matter of the kind and preparation. This isn't some emergency pack he's kept hidden beneath the seat and hastily thrown on, but something he's got fully harnessed on from before he even gets in the plane. That he claims to 'always' wear even if a glance at other videos proves otherwise

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Saw critical's video about this back then. Clearly staged and he needs to lose his license to pilot anything at all.

He's probably gonna lose his flying license but will he see jail time? I mean I don't even think there's anything in the books for purposely crashing a plane. Just googling this gives no results about any possible prosecution.

He already has lost his license. It's in the OP. The FAA revoked it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Takes a very out of touch worldview to think you could not only pull this off, but do so while documenting it and publishing it online. Wonder if he'll pull the "didn't know I couldn't do that" card.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the pilot analayzing the video also said that, but why wouldn't you want to always have a parachute just in case?
if a pilot is gonna have a parachute on their plane then it's probably not gonna be on them while they fly, but instead somewhere they can reach it in emergencies. I imagine wearing a parachute while piloting would be encumbering and uncomfortable as hell, depending on how long you're flying

also, most pilots would probably rather try and bring the plane down as safely as possible instead of abandoning the plane. It's better to be in as much control as possible of a plane needing to make an emergency landing than just jumping off and letting it go wherever, it's scary but also possible to land planes with engine issues

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how the latch to the door is already open before the engines gives out

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dude needs to go to jail, YouTube should immediately shut his shit down. Some folks will do anything for views. That's one thing California needs, more potential fires.

Kastanjemanden

alt account
Banned
Jan 23, 2022

You have to account for all weight on the plane

Also parachutes aren't normally apart of flight preparation

It's why you don't see them on commercial airlines
Let alone a plane like this

Abandoning the plane is almost never an option - this isn't a military jet with ejector seats either

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Flying with parachute on isn't comfottable. Imagine driving car with backpack. Also, unless you lose part of the wing or do a corkscrew, planes can glide decent distance and you really have time to land plane safely. So in most cases there's no reason to abandon plane. Also on the planes I flew in few Polish aeroclubs, there were emergency parachutes under pilot's seat. They weren't fancy ones like his skydiving, but it also was 20+ years ago.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
It's not actually that hard to land a plane without the engine, as any pilot would know. He should absolutely see jail time for this, and be fined into oblivion to cover the costs of the investigation, cleanup, and whatever damage he caused, even if it was just a few trees.

otherlank

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of how obviously staged this is, your responsibility as a pilot is to protect people that may be on the ground. You are supposed to control the plane to the ground if possible. An engine failure is not an excuse to bail from an airplane. We repeatedly practice engine out procedures and gliding with a dead engine isn't particularly hard.

Also, bailing out from an airplane is often times more dangerous than a controlled crash landing.

FAR 91.119

"Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below...an altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface."

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Purposely crashing a plane into a forest in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Yeah 20 years in prison sounds about right

Jceaz

Oct 30, 2017
Imagine oing through all the trouble of getting your pilots license just to do some stupid bullshit like this and lose it.

Oct 27, 2017
It was obviously fake from day 1. Glad he got his license revoked, but hopefully the state or fed bring up charges in addition to the FAA fines.

I love the fact that he didn't even know when the NYTimes contacted him, haha!

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT lol, this dude needs lots of jail. Easily one of the most reckless things I've ever heard and the state should *probably* deter this massive amount of idiocy. Being this dumb is in fact a crime.