• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Seattle PD don't have badge numbers at all on their shield as far as I can tell googling; and the mayor isn't wrong about the tradition.

It's probably in solidarity to the fired murderer.

JWyRNtU.png

Grabbed that from this article: https://www.businessinsider.com/ap-review-of-seattle-police-shows-promise-of-us-backed-reform-2017-4
Stop believing in their bullshit, be better than this man

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you are photographed wearing a police badge with the number intentionally obscured, you should be immediately fired.

Hell, you can't work at McDonald's without wearing a damn name tag at all times.
I agree. Same with cops that turn off body cams, etc... Blocking measures put in place to safeguard against police abuses should not be OK. Frankly, there needs to be much much better mechanisms to hold police accountable and these idiot pigs that drive cars into protesters, still put their fucking knees on necks, etc... don't realize that they're just hastening their own downfall.

Chiaroscuro

Oct 25, 2017
"Tradicional way that police officers recognize if a police officer's life has been lost" isn't just a way to show we will retaliate that lost in full extense taking justice with our own hands so we will cover our badges and identities? Fuck that shit tradition, uh?

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Why in the first place would you believe what the police have to say after everything that has happened? Maybe it's time to self reflect.
If I believed them, why would I attempt to actually do research to figure out if they are lying or not? God forbid someone actually attempt to fact check. Also the guy was easily identified because of his clearly visible name badge.. it's not really some unbelievable story.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I saw this on reddit and all the comments were all like "Why did you take a child to a riot?" "Parents should be in jail"

DIsgusting that they act as if police brutality is a natural occourance.
I ashamed to admit, that was my first reactionary thought. Police brutality IS a natural occurance in the U.S. It's internally normalized to the point where I expect a peaceful protest to turn into police hurting people. Seen so many times where police turned protests into chaotic violence.It's sad.

Xia

Banned
Feb 1, 2020
Post updated I'm blind lol .. I was thrown off looking at pics of badges that don't have any numbers but some have dots. There's a ton of designs on google.
I googled some badges too and damn there are so many. The mourning badges do not have numbers, however they look different from the taped ones. They really are covering their normal badges.
Also I noticed you already saw the number but still wanted to tell this. :)

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
instead of blaming the parents for letting/bringing their kid to protest, we should be blaming the COPS who are supposed to protect us for macing a defenseless child. Anyone blaming the parents is deliberately missing the big picture.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): Hostility against another member. Previous infractions for hostility.
Fucking pissant clowns like you are the type to find any way to obfuscate the basic reality that it's not legitimate expectation to go to a peaceful protest and end have a ten-year-old maced in the face by a cop, trying to explain this away doesn't make you wise like you probably think it does you fool it just means you're the type of weak-willed loser who needs to give a justification and explanation to pointless cruelty.

Trash
No, it's for clowns like you that don't respect other's opinions and act like you are on your response that this world is a fucking cesspool.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nah son

You gave them the benefit of a doubt, that's on you
I've been assuming all along it was to cover numbers. The mayor denying it and someone pointing out that the guy was easily identified by his name tag made me want to actually fact check it. There are a bunch of articles about how it's a solidarity thing but yeah I agree that's a BS excuse for sure if it's covering numbers.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I've been assuming all along it was to cover numbers. The mayor denying it and someone pointing out that the guy was easily identified by his name tag made me want to actually fact check it. There are a bunch of articles about how it's a solidarity thing but yeah I agree that's a BS excuse for sure if it's covering numbers.
There's no if. They are covering the numbers. There's photos across the nation of cops confronting protesters with tape over their badge number.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
There's no if. They are covering the numbers. There's photos across the nation of cops confronting protesters with tape over their badge number.

Yup. And I get if it's truly to memorilize the cops fallen in duty (or, imho pretty much clarify their gang status). As a public servant there's a reason why those numbers are on a badge, and covering it is an intimidation tactic.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
How in the fuck are people more concerned about the parents bringing their child to a peaceful protest, demonstrating democracy and progressive voices in action on the streets to make change for a better future, than A POLICE OFFICER WHO FOR NO REASON WHATEVER DECIDED TO MACE A LITTLE GIRL.

The police officer was forced by nobody's actions but his own. There is only one person responsible, and if you're deflecting away from that, your priorities are fucked. Because it doesn't matter if the parents brought their child. A POLICE OFFICER MACED A LITTLE GIRL. FOR NO REASON. WITH NO PROVOCATION.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Yup. And I get if it's truly to memorilize the cops fallen in duty (or, imho pretty much clarify their gang status). As a public servant there's a reason why those numbers are on a badge, and covering it is an intimidation tactic.
It's also a clear way to try and avoid any repercussions for mistreating protesters. Obviously these pigs don't police themselves. If the public aren't able to identify the cop, they can simply brutalize protesters without a worry of any kind of consequence. A tapped over badge number emboldens already violent people to be even more violent.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Its true, they hide their numbers in honor of fallen comrades

Now I'm going to go remove my license plates in honor of protesters.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The most dangerous gang in America. Seeing this story elsewhere I was disgusted by the amount of victim blaming going on.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
How the fuck is it possible to have so few braincells and be such a huge piece of shit that you mace a child?

And how the fuck can you victim blame this?

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The video is even worse most disturbing shit but please don't bring kids to a protest.

I understand you want the kids to be safe - but this is a bad take. This was a peaceful protest and police shouldn't be macing anybody here, nevermind children. You're basically saying the US cops are known to be vicious animals....which ok, but this is borderline victim blaming.

78425685_10115189665715009_9027800013836648448_o.jpg

Likely a different child but look at this shit

How can you look at this as a police officer and not realize you're the bad guy.

PaperSparrow

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My mom took me to a peaceful protest for better teacher's wages when I was a child and I somehow managed to not get maced.

It's almost as if neither the parent nor protesting itself is the problem in this equation. Wonder what it could be.

Nov 1, 2017
How many protests have all of you been to that are saying not to bring a child? I've seen kids at everyone I've been to without seeing a single one get maced.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Motherfucking sadist using the excuse of protests to hurt children. My blood is boiling.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
How many protests have all of you been to that are saying not to bring a child? I've seen kids at everyone I've been to without seeing a single one get maced.
I think parents should totally have the expectation that taking their kids to a peaceful protest should be safe. And they should totally have the expectation that law-enforcement will not mace children.

and at the same time, given everything I have seen with protests and how quickly or unexpectedly things can change, on a personal level, it makes more sense to me to not introduce my kids to that yet.

Nov 1, 2017
I think parents should totally have the expectation that taking their kids to a peaceful protest should be safe. And they should totally have the expectation that law-enforcement will not mace children.

and at the same time, given everything I have seen with protests and how quickly or unexpectedly things can change, on a personal level, it makes more sense to me to not introduce my kids to that yet.
I mean you're free to do that and I can't blame you for being cautious. I just have not seen this quick change occur at protests. At least not without it looking like things are going south. I usually see people helping get kids in position so they can see and take pictures or explaining things to them. Things going from peaceful to macing elementary students is just absurd. I'm more about getting it mandated that they have to actually announce they are utilizing it versus blaming any parent for an asshole going 0-100 for some minor or imaginary shit which you aren't doing but others are. The other cops didn't even seem to be reacting so I don't know what the excuse could be for the use that would have given them warning to get her away.
Cops save their greatest hits for protests that involve black folk wanting to be treated as equals.
You ain't lying but black kids might be the one group that have an equal or higher chance of getting maced interacting with a pissed off cop on the day to day rather than at a protest.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'd have no issues with bringing my kid to a peaceful protest, as long as it's something we talked about and he wanted to participate.

But, I'm not going to lie, if I see a bunch of young white guys wearing black and masks (obviously now it's ok), I'd likely move to the back or away from there with my child.

It goes without saying however that the LEO should not have maced the child.

Oct 25, 2017
Stop believing in their bullshit, be better than this man
Both things can be true. There is a tradition (not sure how old it is) of officers having a black band around their badge. In some (maybe even most) badge designs, such a band can obscure identifying information, but no one cares because it's not a big deal most of the time. And I'm sure some (maybe even most) cops would exploit the tradition to conceal their identity. Fortunately in this case, such a craven mis-use of the tradition didn't work for Jared Campbell, the kid-macing cop.

Scerick

Oct 29, 2017
So what was the lame fucking reason for this? Any statements yet? Was she "resisting arrest"?