• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Apr 21, 2018
I disagree. Every year of something is too much. I think the fact sports games get away with it (and don't just release roster updates) is one of the biggest scams in multimedia.

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. Annual AC fatigue sets in hard. I will probably buy Vikings just like I bought Black Flag and not buy another AC the rest of the generation.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its really not.

Also, while I appreciate what they did with the 2 latest games, I want to go back to the old combat and style. I wanna go back to being an assassin not a parkour mercenary.

Or remake Black Flag, fuck it.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
No , no it's not. It's a good thing.
I'm glad they aren't repeating the same mistake of yearly release pre-Origins.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
After 100% Odyssey I definitely need a god damn year break. The Ubisoft open world fatigue is no joke.

I genuinely think they should damp the copy past Greek main game and focus on something interesting like the DLC2 maps. I guess that's where they start the monster and God project.

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
The last AC I played and finished was AC Revelations, ages ago. I played a bit of AC3 though.

I'll play some of those games next year.

Calvarok

Oct 26, 2017
if the next one looks anything like odyssey i will probably never give a shit about this series again.

Origins was such a promising reset point, but I just don't trust these games to consistently improve anymore.

Too much of the design is reactionary.

Haven't missed it at all this year.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
A break is good. I'm still working my way through Odyssey's DLC. 80 hours in and still going. Taking my time with the game, doing the interesting side quests and aiming for the platinum trophy. Really enjoying myself.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
The last two games are pretty loooong and full of dlc so I think everyone's good without one of them every year; there's a lot of other games out there. I'm personally still burnt out on Origins without playing any dlc, I kinda wish I hadn't played it because Odyssey looks more interesting but since Origins I don't really wanna even play it.

Honestly it was tiring enough already when the games were shorter.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how anyone can follow the assassins creed series yearly. The games are so one note that they bored me since the very beginning. I guess they changed them up a little since origins but... holy shit, there's so many of them, don't you get tired?

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
Yearly releases are why I see the Ubisoft logo as a sign for shovelware these days. Assassins Creed 1 was one of my must hyped games but now I refuse to play anything that has the Ubisoft logo.

Elios83

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't care about the series anymore, Origins disappointed me but I forced myself to finish it, I stopped playing Odyssey at around mid-game, first game in the series I've been playing since 2007 that I haven't finished. Now what are they rumored to be doing? Same thing with Vikings (great timing after GOW...)?
Ubisoft has to rethink about where they are going and what they want to do next.
It's really simple, they either commit to quality without compromise or they continue making soulless games using the same template, fillers everywhere and a difficulty system with barriers taken out of mobile phone games that ruins progression to try to monetize with power-ups.
It seems that after their recent big flops they're starting to understand that people are fed up, so it's a good thing that these games are not yearly anymore, at least there's a chance that the goal is not ''just'' to make money during the holiday season.

Jan 2, 2018
I only started Odyssey and I also got the season pass and I can easily tell that this game will take me MONTHS to complete..just absurd amount of content there.
But I stated it late so I guess I'm not a good example.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I completly disagree.

I'm still burned out on Origins and haven't even bought Odyssey yet... lol

Last edited:

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I only started Odyssey and I also got the season pass and I can easily tell that this game will take me MONTHS to complete..just absurd amount of content there.
But I stated it late so I guess I'm not a good example.

Don't worry i bought it at launch and i'm still doing stuff and DLC. Just finished exploring the entire map and the oceans
Enjoyed every of my pointless hours with it though

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't like origins or odyssey. I don't know. Maybe Assassin Creed isn't for me anymore. The year off isn't a bad thing imo

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, a year off this year was perfect as fatigue was definitely approaching. It took 100+ hours to complete Odyssey and its DLCs. My hunger for a new one right now isn't there, but will in 12 months.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is why we can't have innovation in AAA games anymore.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, AC needs a long break, & more than a year. It's suffering from franchise fatigue within many people because of releasing a game annually almost each & every damn year.

The only memorable AC games so far, are the Ezio Trilogy (Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood & Revelations). And that's because they were very well thought out & spaced out in between.

But they came out on a yearly cycle so I don't see how they were spaced out compared to the newer games.

And yes, they are hands down the best in the series.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Nah

I want old school AC back, something along the lines of Unity/Syndicate tbh :(

Odyssey burnt me out and I was no-where near finished with it after 40 hours

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
at this point, every year without an AC game is a good year in my book.

the last two games were completely boring and bloated and felt like playing an offline MMORPG. the redesign doesn´t fit the franchise at all so maybe it is for the better that there wasn´t another one this year in the same style.

imo, Ubisoft needs to get rid of this RPG Lite stuff in their games, doesn´t do anything for me at all and is just there to give people this feeling of constant progression, seems many people need this hamster wheel feeling in their games these days which i think is questionable and not good game design in general. the less "numbers going up" in games, the better it is.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I got burned out on Assassins Creed back with 3.
How many more of these freaking games do we need?
There are so many its goddamn absurd.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Game is so bloated I could spend 3 years playing it.

Jul 24, 2018
Much like the Yakuza series I wish they'd start taking more time developing new games in their respective series. It's good that Assassins Creed seems to be moving toward that.

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
YES

It sucks, had to replace it with Witcher on Switch for my "open world with markers" fix. Hopefully they'll come back to yearly releases on next-gen.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
I wish PS3/360 gen AC would come back. 3 Remastered feels like such a fresh game. Odyssey is AAA Checkbox: The Game, one of the worst games I've ever played and Origins was better even

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
With releases of ACIII, Liberation, Black Flag (and Freedom Cry), Rogue, all the Odyssey DLC and various other updates to Odyssey, I'd argue that there was more AC content released this year than any other year.

It's not all new stuff, of course (though seemingly at least Rogue is new for you and you should play that), but even just the new Odyssey stuff is around the length of any of the old-style AC games.

Anyway, in terms of totally new game releases, I'm not burnt out after Origins and Odyssey but if they released a new game this year I probably would be burnt out after that, and clearly some other people already are, so a break isn't a bad thing.

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
Considering I got bored with Oddessey, and my whole feeling towards the series has turned very"blah", I have to disagree. The team needs to get back to the roots and cut way way back on the amount of crap to do, and focus on a compelling story and unique setting.

Oct 27, 2017
Counting all the main series and spinoffs on Wikipedia, there's like 22 games in the series. Surely there's one or two you haven't played that could tide you over until the next one?

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
I think mOP started to play the series recently or atleast not from the beginning like me. It's a fresh breath seriously. 2 year cycle would be better with the way they went with Origins and Odyssey. So grindy and making it bigger is just too time consuming.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
Taking years off was the best thing that happened to that series. It was getting stale at an alarming rate.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
I just finished the main story of Odyssey after about 170 hours, I still have the Atlantis DLC to go through. I'm gonna miss Kassandra after it's all over :(

The break is good though, I can't handle another monster game like that for a couple of months
I purchased the DLC and was sorry I did. It's the same game just a lot more grindy (if that can be believed). I played a few hours and gave up. After >130hrs in the main game I'd had enough.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
yearly franchises are the worst.

let it breath, give it a chance to really innovate

^

Yearly franchises suck. Put some more thought into it, give it time.

Give me 3 year game developments that give us high quality games that aren't 90% boring quests. I don't need more games that I've played before.

Maybe then I'll actually pay close to launch prices.

Last AC I played was the French one, now I feel like I could give the next one a shot if it looks fun.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I don't know if bad is the right word but it's strange at least since it's basically Ubisofts yearly sports game. Factory title

Does not mean the games are bad nor good imo. They plan these out with time but it definitely feels different when there isn't one out every year.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Most AC games had 3 year dev cycles lol

Seems like they need 6 then.

Last one I played was Unity (2014), which had a fantastic world, though I didn't finish it - I just enjoyed running on the rooftops and looking around.

I can get behind an AC next year if it's balls-out fantastic. I don't need more games with crappy, samey quests and dialogue.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You know, I'm a little sad there isn't one this year, though I understand why people are happy that they're taking a year off, or that the series isn't quite as saturated as it was. I do just really like the AC games though. I find them nice to unwind with, and slowly work my way through while listening to a podcast series or even an audiobook. They're good self-care games for me. I can play 'em when I'm having a rough week or am particularly burned out.

I've actually replayed AC2 over the last few weeks with the intent of playing Brotherhood and Revelations, as I never played the latter two. I didn't enjoy AC2 as much as when it came out, found it a bit frustrating, especially towards the end game, but I am enjoying Brotherhood more than I expected. Definitely a good time to catch up the entries we've missed. I'd like to play Rogue as well, which I did actually buy on the 360, but never got around to playing.

SolidSeminole

Oct 25, 2017
I went through the same thing as the OP this time last year. I wound up going back and playing though Syndicate, Origins and Odyssey back to back to back and had a blast! I did all the DLC for Origins and Odyssey too. I had taken a break from AC games when Unity came out, so I was ready to jump back in to some AC action!

After several months since I finished Odyssey, I kind of have that AC itch again. I never played Rouge, and I recently got it during the black Friday sale. I have so many other games to play, yet the pull of an AC game I've never played is pretty great!