• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
Played all of Odyssey. Played all of Origins that I care to. It just doesn't feel right that I don't have a new AC to play during my holiday break.

I guess what I'm really asking is, is AC Rogue Remastered worth playing? It would be on One X. It's not the money I care about ($15), I just don't want it to feel so dated that I can't deal with it. Coming off a ton of Odyssey I'm worried it will feel too old.

It's the only (relatively) recent one I haven't played. I do love Black Flag so I'm cool with the naval aspect of it. But that was 6 years ago. So I'm worried that going back to "old" AC combat is going to feel wrong.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
No, no it's not. A year without one is a really good thing in my opinion. I'd rather them take some time off from all the yearly shit..

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rogue was released for the 360 when the Xbox One was already out and didn't get a current gen release until last year. I don't think the X will offer that big a change in how well it can run compared to a base model. It also has nothing in common with Odyssey. The Odyssey formula didn't drop in until Origins. It's much closer to Black Flag, I'd think

As for the hiatus, it's better to have long gaps in between games than frequent games that are bad.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
going back to the older games to scratch the Origins/Odyssey itch is pretty fucking rough tbh. but if you just want some asscreed qua asscreed to pass the time Rouge Remastered should more than suffice

Alanood

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I just hope the next AC is better in pacing and level progression (and not in Japan, I want a unique setting).

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
No. There doesn't need to be one every year. That's how rushed games and fatigue happen.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Rogue is good if you like ACIV.

I bought Odyssey Gold Edition just for III Remastered and I like it more than Origins

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Hell, no! Ubisoft did good by stopping with the yearly releases.

Besides, the old ones are still good. Rogue is one of my favorites, and I was in the mood to replay an old AC, that would be one of my choices. Or 4. Or Brotherhood. Or 2.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
when they skip a year, it means next iteration of AC is coming and it will play very differently which is exciting to me that didn't care for Witcher's Creed.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sorry, but I disagree. I think more time spent on developing a game, the better. I loved Origins and I'm not terribly far into Odyssey, but I'm loving that as well, but yearly iterations on games is often incredibly unhealthy for the teams that produce those games. Bi-yearly I think lets dev teams have a health work-life balance, that also results in a better gaming experience because they can spend more time iterating on their ideas and work on the game.

Oct 27, 2017
I have to finish up the Atlantis stuff, but I'm playing the new AC Switch collection to help console myself.

Though lighter on story, AC Rogue was very good. I played it the same time as Unity, had no problems.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'am still playing through AC Odyssey's DLC so the year off has been great, I want them to take their time with the next game.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
It doesn't seem like that long ago since I didn't finish the last one!

I do love buying each new one though, seeing how a crazy AAA gets better looking without fail each year

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished the main story of Odyssey after about 170 hours, I still have the Atlantis DLC to go through. I'm gonna miss Kassandra after it's all over :(

The break is good though, I can't handle another monster game like that for a couple of months

JamesQuall

Oct 27, 2017
The last two were enjoyable but definitely ran together. Love a year off. Can't wait to see what's next.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully with a year off they can maybe make something closer to the old games. I miss actually being an assassin, it was unique and I loved it.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they just came off the two best games in the franchise. The more time they spend on the next one the better, it'll probably be a launch title for Series X/PS5. Origins and Odyssey set such high expectations for me that I expect this next to be even better and hopefully take advantage of next gen specs.

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Each year without an AC game feels empty to me. It's even worse right now since Origins and Odyssey are so different than what AC was before.

MrBS

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
I played plenty of new AC this year with the DLC and free missions. Ubi did good. I hope the Odyssey model is what's used moving forward.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I played through Black Flag and Liberation after completing Origins and Odyssey, so it's not impossible to get back into the older titles. Rogue isn't a bad game, I say give it a shot.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, its fine, we some of the DLCs this year. These games are getting too damn long and playing one after the other in just a year is too much.

Jane

Oct 17, 2018
And now you know how it feels for pretty much every other game series in existence, having to wait for a while between entries. Maybe sometimes even a very long while. Be glad you're not an F-Zero fan.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still haven't finished Syndicate, nor Unity. And I want to do it before going into Odyssey.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I love AC but a year off is perfectly fine and the series will be better off for it.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to start the remastered version of III that came with the gold edition of odyssey I bought on sale last week. Added origins gold edition to that purchase too. Planning to play unity and syndicate after III first. Lots to get through first so they can take their time!

They came back with origins and odyssey in back to back years after a year off. Seems like it paid off with the reception both got. I'm wondering if that is their new cycle going forward.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
With how massive Odyssey is, I'm fine with a year break

I love that game but it doesn't fucking end

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Can't say I agree. Origins and Odyssey have soured me on the series. It has become monotonous open world repetition and aimlessness. The AC series that I loved died with Origins sadly.

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing I can say about not getting an Assassins Creed this year is that, for the first time in I don't remember how long I actually *missed* Assassins Creed this year. Like, I had that "Man, I wish I could just dive head-first into another Odyssey-level AC game" -- which I think is great, honestly. It means that what they're doing is actually quality. Come next year when we're actually gonna get one, it'll be high quality, it'll be hyped, and it'll be desired. That's all the things that an AC game should be.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The last one is literally as big as Witcher 3 and complex in dialogue options. The world is huge and there is much to see and do.

Origins and Odyssey were both huge. It is fine skipping a year to keep the same quality and raise the bar.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Playing through Odyssey right now and it's impressing me. I legitimately didn't know the series was full on action RPG now lol. Can't wait to see what they cook up for next gen consoles next year.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The last one is literally as big as Witcher 3 and complex in dialogue options. The world is huge and there is much to see and do.

Origins and Odyssey were both huge. It is fine skipping a year to keep the same quality and raise the bar.

They were huge but the writing sucked, story sucked, and variety sucked. They aren't in the same stratosphere as The Witcher 3.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I totally ignored Rogue when it came out. I held off for a while, waiting for a current gen remaster, eventually got sick of waiting and ended up playing the PS3 version in 2016. I saw it as basically a re-skinned AC4 with a cold frozen north setting instead of a nice warm tropical setting. AC4 is one of my least favorite games in main series... so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Rogue. It's not one of my favorites or anything, just better than expected.

Last edited: