• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BlackLagoon

Oct 25, 2017
Cat5? I grew up on 10BASE2 coax cables with BNC connectors. My dad put them in the floor when doing some work on the house, so it was instant LAN party when I had friends over.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
? I still do this all the time at my first job and that was in 2016. It's still used.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I made a long null modem lead at university to go from my upstairs room to a flatmate downstairs so we could play stunt Car racer on the Amiga multiplayer

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nothing compared to commercial levels of tape drives/backups that never restored or even loaded correctly. Mount me if old.

How about forgetting to terminate some coax LAN cable when your buddies have brought over their DOOM or Duke PC rigs for the weekend? Any takers? Hmmmm. I'm going to have nightmares tonight about this shit, thanks.

If you've never carried your 21"+ CRT around in your car are you even a gamer?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I remember tryign to get a DOS game to run, I ended making computer ONLY boot up into that game

If you weren't messing with HIMEM.SYS you weren't putting in effort. ;)

But if you want to mess with a younger PC geek, just drop a jumper over the internal reset pins on their PC. See how long it takes them to figure out why their PC is "dead".

OMG the horror for trying to get multiplayer Doom running over a modem from a DOS prompt.

DWANGO was amazing.

We called it a Null Modem, and I wired one up at home so I could play 2p Populous and Stunt Car Racer.

Made more than a few of those so we could connect PCs in the dorms for DOOM. When we got ethernet the next year, it was an amazing upgrade.

Are crossover cables not a thing anymore? I remember making those in a class.

Not really needed with new hardware that has autosensing ports.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
I don't recall ever having fun whilst making ethernet cables. Ever. Fiddly little bastards.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
You go ahead and have all that joy for yourself, OP. I'm good.
OK Boomer

Javaman

Oct 31, 2017
I remember driving an hour each way to spend $120 bucks on a 8meg stick upgrade and getting home to learn that my PC needed sticks installed in pairs. I had no more money to burn for 4 weeks to get the other.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Real computer nerds don't deal with IRQs

they raise IRQs themselves, programmatically. They are the IRQ "problem."

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't remember having to ever do this. But the joy of dealing with sound cards, config.sys, IRQ conflicts, etc is something I'll never miss, my god. The Gravis Ultrasound was ahead of its time but some of the compatibility problems were annoying as hell.

Was this a thing primarily for LAN play / LAN parties? Never did anything like that, always relied on dial-up for my multiplayer or ISDN.

Alex3190

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Actually I had to learn this for the A+, Net + and CCNA.

I grew up in the 90s and I unfortunately didn't have someone teach me these things. Lan parties were amazing though.

Last edited:

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
I'll have you know I've been using serial/DB9 lately to configure a cisco router. Never had to create my own cat cable yet though.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I built my own PC with a turbo button. I managed IRQ conflicts. I edited config files, autoexec files, and so on. I manually configured IP addresses.

But I never made a crossover cable. Nope. Just had one provided to me by a friend, just one, to keep at hand for years.

Good riddance to all that crap.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I was not techhy but boy do I remember soundcards screwing up my whole computer after it died or had a bad driver or something and removing it being the key to peace.
Also even earlier how me and bro were stupid and deleted much-needed system files to make "extra space" :) .

Gonna miss not having to install CD/DVD drives into my chassis anymore on my next upgrade.. a new era..

Friggz

Oct 27, 2017
i found my bootable floppy disk from college the other day. i admitted to myself that i probably have no idea how to do most of the stuff i learned back then.

Jun 18, 2018
I went from an Amiga 500 to a Playstation, so I didn't have to deal with cables much. But damn do I remember swapping floppy disks on the former and lugging a PSOne and 9 inch portable TV to a mates house for some 2 player Doom, Need for Speed and Red Alert sessions. Streaming to mobile can fuck right off!

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I still make my own cables to this day for certain cases where I need an exact length lol

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Crossover cable? You kids and your UTP networks. Real men strung out 10Base2! Someone show up to the LAN party? Whole network goes down while you hook them up!

I remember when I got my first 10/100 switch. It was like a godsend.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'll have you know I've been using serial/DB9 lately to configure a cisco router. Never had to create my own cat cable yet though.
I had to do that in a college course.

Recently I had to use one to un-brick a firewall that didn't like its new firmware. It involved a trip into the musty storage basement to find a laptop with that port.

turtle553

Oct 25, 2017
At least now these make it easier to get the pins right
3_bae3e5ef-ab14-486a-8631-bbb39c44ef8f_600x.jpg

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Remember games on cassette tapes?

A whole generation now is growing up never knowing a time when there wasn't internet, and younger kids never knowing a time before smartphones. Back then, if you didn't know something, you didn't know it, simple as that. Unless you had 18 volumes of already outdated encyclopedias.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Back in my time you had to construct your own RF adapter out of gravel and sticks, and then personally get it blessed by the Vatican to get YouTube in high-def 240i for 3 and a half minutes.
When I wanted to watch tv on my computer i had to hook a coaxial cable to it

Jun 20, 2019
I bought one from the local computer hardware store to play two-box eight player Halo. Cheaper than buying the equipment.
Remember games on cassette tapes?
I remember writing data and BASIC programs to cassettes. Finding your saves on a 30-minute cassette was an art form.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I've done it all.

Crimp my own cables
Null modem Doom
IRQ jumpers on sound cards
Jumpers on IDE drives
SCSI and termination on cables sucked too.
Trying to get enough conventional memory to get a game to run. You had Memmaker and QEMM386 for the easy ones.

You have not lived until you tried to get Ultima 7 to run. That thing needed like 620K/640K, protected mode only.

DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS 0,0

Still not enough.
*rip hair out*

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
you say joy, I say child labor laws. I made dozens and dozens in high school for my school when we built the new computer lab. probably still being used to this day, 14 years since I graduated.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We made crossover cables in our cabling class.

Not sure I'll ever need to do it outside of the classroom, heh.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I never even recorded computer programs over the radio.

(Actually learned about that recently and sounds cool af)

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
How can they live without knowing how to resolve IRQ conflicts

Or even what defragmenting is