• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Folks just have to click a button and never have to worry about the correct subnet masks, pin settings, IRQ conflicts, etc. Shit has come a long way from when I was growing up.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Man, serial link cables were considered hot shit when I started gaming. Fiddling about with baud settings to play Doom 2 with my brother.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
White/orange, orange, white/green, blue, white/blue, green, white/brown, brown

Edit: oh, crossover. Switch the....orange and green on the other end? Lol. Can't recall off the top of my head. I'm a software developer, dammit.

2nd edit: Yep. Orange and green.

3rd edit: I remember cutting a hole between my brother's room and mine, buying a hub with cascade capability, and cutting a hole in the wall with my neighbors. Four person LAN action. We didn't have broadband.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Folks just have to click a button and never have to worry about the correct subnet masks, pin settings, IRQ conflicts, etc. Shit has come a long way from when I was growing up.
If you don't have a turbo button on your pc, are you even alive?

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Everything just requires a login now. I still don't miss chasing down interrupt conflicts or freeing memory for a DOS game, on the other hand.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
oh man i've never done that before but one of my old roomies did once. i also watched an IT guy i used to work with do that with some spare cables he had since he had crimpers. glad i never had to deal with OLD old problems.

but yeah, i knew what a Soundblaster was. i remember my dad being psyched we were getting one in a PC he had built for us when i was in highschool. the day i started using integrated sound was weird. then again i always seemed to have issues with my sound cards so i don't exactly miss them.

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I used to be in LAN div on my submarine and I was the cat5 guy.

You don't want to be the cat5 guy.

Dec 21, 2017
Tried that. Studied enough for the Net+ to know what you're talking about but stupid enough so that i'd never be able to put it to good use.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Having to write a specific AUTOEXEC.BAT config so I could run this:

8r.jpg

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, I'm 34 and I've never had to make my own crossover cables outside of a class, and the only subnet mask I've used in a non-professional setting is 255.255.255.0. Pin/jumper settings though (especially on IDE hard drives), fuck those.

Flambe

Faster than Light
Oct 25, 2017
Man fuck those days.

Loved the games but not the hours making them work, however sickly gratifying it could be at the time.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Instead kids these days are hosting and administrating their own servers, firewall port forwarding, cheating using packet injection and local proxies, and writing their own mods. I'm only nostalgic for rj45 crimping when I'm making one for a friend. I definitely do not miss making hundreds at a time.

That said I'm sure kids these days could learn how to do it (maybe not well but good enough) after 20 minutes of YouTube.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
To be fair, I'm 34 and I've never had to make my own crossover cables outside of a class, and the only subnet mask I've used in a non-professional setting is 255.255.255.0. Pin/jumper settings though (especially on IDE hard drives), fuck those.

Much the same for me, to be honest. I am definitely in agreement on jumper settings though... I do not miss IDE drives.

Scrub Jay

Nov 28, 2017
Network engineer. Ive never made a cable, not since CCNA courses in college. We just buy in bulk.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm an 90's baby and never dealt with these demonic phrases. Although our family didn't get our first PC until 2000.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't read about IRQ conflicts in years.

Fuck those days.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Just build a retro computer like I did. Get plenty of chances to chase down these problems! Even more fun is trying to get my laptop with a USB 1.0 port to work with does consistently.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have a box of Cat 5e in the car for work reasons.

It's more of a pain in the ass than anything.

Trouble

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle-ish
Crimping parties were good fun back in the day. Get paid to drink a bunch of beer and see who can crank out the most working cables.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
They will also never know the joy of modifying your PC to have 640KBs of ram on it rather than 256.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
White/orange, orange, white/green, blue, white/blue, green, white/brown, brown

Edit: oh, crossover. Switch the....orange and green on the other end? Lol. Can't recall off the top of my head. I'm a software developer, dammit.

2nd edit: Yep. Orange and green.

3rd edit: I remember cutting a hole between my brother's room and mine, buying a hub with cascade capability, and cutting a hole in the wall with my neighbors. Four person LAN action. We didn't have broadband.
Haha, I had a similar experience at uni. Then we discovered the pay phone when we had a few drinks, we took it apart and hooked it up to a 56k modem to play CS online. It was brutal but brilliant.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I'm so glad that IRQs are managed by the OS now. Embedded hardware would be a mistake otherwise. It's also why DOSBox is so great; turns out the thing that makes DOS games run more effortlessly is an operating system managing the underlying hardware, go figure

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
All of those things were pretty useless to learn in hindsight. It's like the Fonz hitting the jukebox just right.