• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
I have a McD, BK, Taco Bell, Wendy's, White Castle, Dominos, and a Popeyes within 10 minutes of my house. All seem to flourish.

Did you have a lot of competition nearby?

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
work as a job coach for someone who works in fast food and the place she works at has constant staffing issues and even had to change managers.

My client is one of the more senior employees as a result with how many people are quitting due to understaffing and being fet up with annoying customers.

I hear it's the same with other fast food places our clients work at.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The McDonald's near me takes a half hour to get our food because they are understaffed. Pay better and treat better and maybe you'll get employees.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
If it's anything like the fast food places around here, everyone probably quit or got Covid.

Flueswonkler

Mar 15, 2022
I can imagine the wages were dogshit and it's just very hard to fill dogshit wage jobs right now. Franchise owners would rather close down the entire place than pay living wages to workers.
And of course this isn't limited to retail or fast food jobs. People in every industry are just tired of being treated terribly for low pay. I recently got a job in HR. My new coworkers talk about how there must be so many jobs out there for people to feel like they can a start job with us one day and quit a week or two later. They say they just don't understand. Meanwhile, in the real world, we're paying people the minimum $15 an hour and finding any little mistake to screw them over on hours while they're destroying their bodies down in the factory. It's insane how people higher up refuse to acknowledge these things.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like the best time to be opening new restaurants.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The closest fast food chain to my house is Wendy's, and unfortunately it's terrible quality.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
All the fast food places around me at least for night shifts are regularly closed due to worker shortages or people walking off the job. Almost like $15 is a slap in the face to most these workers when you put them in unsafe working conditions all the time.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
even a more livable wage wouldn't change how really stressfully tiring and terrible most fastfood work is nowadays. people have options.

if they had seriously better pay, proper staffing, etc then maybe it would tolerable but that's obviously not the aim of the game.

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
My local Wendy's has been closing early every night due to wage labour shortages. We live in a weird world now.

Oct 27, 2017
If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth. Truth is, if your business model can't provide a living wage and benefits to your employees, it doesn't deserve to survive. Most other developed nations have figured it out by now, so as far as I'm concerned, let the whole fucking country burn down. We need to start over and make something more fair.

You can't have your "These are entry-level jobs meant for teenagers and shouldn't pay a living wage" and then expect your staff to treat it like the most important thing in the world or have any sort of loyalty. People won't give you a fair shake out of the kindness of their hearts, you have to slap them in the face at least.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped going to my nearest wendys for the same reason. Always short staffed. Takes like 25 minutes for 5 cars to get through and that is WITH the dining room still closed

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
And of course this isn't limited to retail or fast food jobs. People in every industry are just tired of being treated terribly for low pay. I recently got a job in HR. My new coworkers talk about how there must be so many jobs out there for people to feel like they can a start job with us one day and quit a week or two later. They say they just don't understand. Meanwhile, in the real world, we're paying people the minimum $15 an hour and finding any little mistake to screw them over on hours while they're destroying their bodies down in the factory. It's insane how people higher up refuse to acknowledge these things.
We're having that issue hiring custodians. "No one wants to work anymore!" Na we just don't pay our custodians enough, and then we're understaffed so we overwork them right away and they freak out and leave.

But we're losing sales and struggling more than normal, so upper management is cool with just not changing anything and hoping for the best. Morons.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
We stopped going to the Wendy's by us. They are always understaffed (even before COVID) and took forever. The last time we went a few months ago the kid working the drive thru speaker greeted us with "I'll get you when I get to you" while someone in the background yelled out "Go away!". We were the only car at the drive thru so they weren't even busy, I just left.

The McDonald's down the street still seems to do ok but I believe they are pretty much drive thru only at this point. If you go in you use the touchscreen and wait for someone to peak out from the back with your food.

The Wendy's one town over still seems decent for now at least.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A don't seem to have perpetual labor shortages. If only there was some explanation as to why.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Two KFCs closed down that have been around 20 plus years. It's weird. Good locations too.

And the fastest store shutdown has to go to a Fatburger that opened near my house and closed in less than 3 months.

Valencia15

Banned
May 8, 2022
doesn't panda express pay their cooks a lot more compared to other fast-food places? if they can do it everyone else can too

Tawney Bomb

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I haven't had any sudden closures by me, but some of the fast food restaurants in my city are only open a few hours and only the drive thru is open due to staffing.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
A Popeyes half a mile from me opened up on Monday after being slowly built for the last year and a half and I feel like it's going to meet the same fate. In the same vicinity there's that, Wendy's, arbys, Moe's, Taco Bell, and McDonald's, and the McD's just annihilates everyone around them. When everyone else had 2 cars in the drive through they have 20. Having driven up and down that way several times the Popeyes looks dead in the water, which is weird because every place around here always got swamped the first couple weeks after opening.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
fast food or similar type places like Chipotle being severely understaffed and/or constantly out of shit is like the new normal. A lot of places either have the drive thru or the lobby open, but not both at the same time.

In N Out seems to be the only place that has been immune to this since the pandemic, and the fact that they seem to be one of the few of these places that has a reputation of not treating their employees like total dog shit probably isn't a coincidence.

Rygar 8Bit

Oct 25, 2017
Site-15
Pay a living wage and maybe you'll find staff.

"These are entry-level jobs meant for teenagers and shouldn't pay a living wage"

Also shows how big of a lie that is. Every fast food or retail place I go to most of the staff is way past their late 20's. If these jobs are meant for teens where the hell are all the teens at in these places?

Last edited:

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
My 16 year old daughter has had 2 $15/hour fast food jobs this summer. Both had management that thought the employees should bow to their every demand since they were getting $15/hour. "work 10 hours a day because I say so" - my daughter was scheduled for four 10 hour days in a row and told the manager "don't do that again." They did and she quit on the spot. We told her she did the right thing.

She went to another really popular place and they can't get enough staff so what to do they do? Schedule everyone for 10 hours days. People quit because no one can do fast food for 10 hours a day when old people are yelling at you because it took 4 minutes to get their order while screaming about lazy teenagers. Maybe if they scheduled for 6 hours a day they could retain that staff and have happier employees.

Our local Popeyes chicken is almost always closed because they have literally 0 staff. I can only imagine how trash that management is. Of course on our town Facebook page it is all "lazy teenagers don't want to work." And when it is brought up they are in school most of the time "lazy uneducated adults...."

America is collapsing and it is due? Really our system is messed up.

Kendrid

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
McD's just annihilates everyone around

Is it because of the McD app? We have to admit we go there a lot more because of that stupid app. How can I pass up a $1 ice Coke on a cold day. Or I want a snack and know I can get a $1 large french fry. My family minus one person has COVID and we ordered McD for him to pickup contactless (he had them put in in the trunk). $22 for 4 people because of app discounts. That is like $40 at anywhere else. Garbage food but we have COVID so it all tastes the same anyway.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Fast food places are still trying to operate like it's 2010, and that is just not possible anymore.

All of the similar restaurants near me are noticeably understaffed.

Oct 26, 2017
This happened near me once but with a Tim Hortons. They built it from scratch and were promoting their grand opening heavily but literally everything tasted terrible. Food tasted like it was thawed out 4 days prior and coffee tasted a day old. This location was no where near a tourist spot nor had high traffic from people passing through, it basically served the community it was in. So they had to close a month or so later because the first impression was so bad and no one bothered to give them a second chance.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The retail space is a mess right now. Employees are being paid slightly more than they were a few years ago, but its still a low wage and theres a labor shortage which makes their job way more difficult to manage. Prices have gone up, so the customers they are dealing with are shorter tempered and expect more in return despite the supply chain issues being the way they are. This causes higher tensions for everyone involved and leads to more employees quitting. I don't envy retail employees or their managers who have to put in 60+ hour weeks just to keep their location above water

CrocodileGrin

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably understaffed and not properly trained. My closest Burger King locks the fucking door sometimes right before lunchtime because they are too understaffed to take orders that aren't via drive-thru.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Probably understaffed and not properly trained. My closest Burger King locks the fucking door sometimes right before lunchtime because they are too understaffed to take orders that aren't via drive-thru.
I wonder how many places just really like just doing drive-thru like when the pandemic was being taken seriously? It just has to be easier for all the staff, having one source of orders, well, two because they probably have all that on-line shit, not having to clean the front throughout the day and after close and frankly being able to close the window and just have a good time while making the orders instead of having to watch your words or worry about people watching you from over the counter. If I was a manager and I could make a profit with or without the dining room I probably wouldn't be in a big hurry to get that thing back open personally.

Edit: I also think there's a lot of unseen shit going on now with meal delivery services that you just don't always notice as a customer, they can be busy as shit and not have a soul in the resteraunt for all we know. I went into my Jersey Mikes nearby and the poor lady was making a shit ton of sandwiches for delivery when I walked in and I thought the place was dead. At my Subway that's attached to a gas station the worker there was having to prepare like 10 subs that they make and put out for sale as grab and go subs. I worked fast food before myself and have thought they were lazy at times but truth be told they have to deal with a lot more shit than I did when I did fast food. In my two years of working fast food I probably only took 4 or 5 orders over the phone(the store of course got more, I didn't work every hour of every day of course), people just didn't really bother to call in an order and on-line ordering wasn't a thing at all.

Last edited:

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
I get paid 20 an hour plus tips to get yelled at while I try to manage a pizza place.

It sucks, but the pay is okay. The only issue is there is only children applying and you can't run a restaurant on only child labor.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
My company is trying to open a bunch of other locations meanwhile the places they still have are super understaffed. I'm not sure what corporate type people are thinking.

A Restaurant underperforms? Must be the location, lets open another a few miles down the road.

Norris1020

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Is it because of the McD app? We have to admit we go there a lot more because of that stupid app. How can I pass up a $1 ice Coke on a cold day. Or I want a snack and know I can get a $1 large french fry. My family minus one person has COVID and we ordered McD for him to pickup contactless (he had them put in in the trunk). $22 for 4 people because of app discounts. That is like $40 at anywhere else. Garbage food but we have COVID so it all tastes the same anyway.
It's always been that way for some reason in this spot, but absolutely the app deals are far better than what anyone else offers. I've had the "free 2 any size fries with 20 nuggets purchase" deal and between 4 of us ordering that with a couple mcdoubles and yeah that's a bunch of junk for just under $10.

Oct 30, 2017
Taco Bell opened up by my house and it's terrible. Food is always wrong, service is slow, and they've been closed multiple times from staffing issues or computers down. Why bother investing all this money into something this bad

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
I get paid 20 an hour plus tips to get yelled at while I try to manage a pizza place.

It sucks, but the pay is okay. The only issue is there is only children applying and you can't run a restaurant on only child labor.
That's the consequence of the wage I guess. If you pay wages that can't pay an adult bills and rent/mortgage, only children can even afford to work there.

Dec 19, 2021
Franchise owners can't set prices right? Is there a cross over point where you can't pay enough because you'd be losing money on ever order so it is better to just close?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Franchise owners can't set prices right? Is there a cross over point where you can't pay enough because you'd be losing money on ever order so it is better to just close?

I imagine they can set prices to an extent sometimes? I feel like anytime I try to look at a menu online it makes me pick a location first, I always assumed it was because prices differed sometimes.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
That's the consequence of the wage I guess. If you pay wages that can't pay an adult bills and rent/mortgage, only children can even afford to work there.
I wish we could hire at a high wage, but we hired at 15 to start then quietly dropped it to 13 to start once we opened. Its horseshit.

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Wendy's by me is understaffed too. Which i find crazy because they paying 16hr + get paid daily.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Had one open near me right before covid hit, and closed down within 6 months once covid hit. I fucking love their spicy chicken, so I was dissapointed.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
A local McDonalds shut down and surprised everybody because it seemed to be doing well. Everytime I went there they had a lineup. It was just a small dining room place but had been there for many years.

Maybe staffing problems or supply chain issues? With the cost of everything going up, maybe the profitability just isn't there anymore.