• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
How can you not have a laugh playing A Way Out? There's nothing noteworthy about the gameplay and the story is total by the numbers guff, but as a game to laugh at and sometimes with alongside a loved one, relative or friend, it's a blast. One player making the bearded character nonchalantly puff a cigarette endlessly while the other has what's supposed to be a moving reunion with his family is the kind of dumb shit I live for.

It sucks. It's great.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
The prison break is the best part of the game, as the setting really plays up the strenghts of the novelty of having 2 different POV's at the same time working towards a shared goal.

But once you get out, it kinda just fell apart for me and my friend, the game became significantly more boring and the novelty of 2 POVs completely wore off. The narrative is also incredibly dull honestly, and the final "twist" may be an interesting gameplay moment, it's actually hilariously dumb narratively.

A cool concept that feels incredibly underutilized. While I understand that the devs want to put big focus on narrative centric games, I think this type of game would work wonderfully with more of a mechanical focus, I always thought an expanded version of the prison break with multiple ways of escaping and less handholding would have been really awesome.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This opinion honestly flabbergasts me. Maybe it's just not your thing? There's a difference between not personally liking a game and the game being objectively bad.

It's a brilliant co-op experience.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
I could see if it was my wife's very first gaming experience it would be a completely different takeaway but I got this girl into co-op through Halo, Gears, Uncharted, Destiny, and Wastelands 3 (THE BEST) so she had pretty high standards these days
shooter shooter shooter shooter and tactical RPG. Maybe you guys don't like whatever a way out's genre is? or at the very least, it wasn't what you were expecting, which gave a bad impression.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
My wife and i played it at launch and again recently on her live stream on Twitch. It's cheesy but entertaining...

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Don't drink and reply folks. Sorry for the derail. I'm thinking of Brothers a tale of two sons. Funnily I've always got those games mixed up. I'll forget this in a few weeks and mix them up again in my head.
For what it's worth Brothers is incredible and co-op would kind of ruin it. Not sure how it works on Switch since game's narrative integrates with the gameplay and single player controls brilliantly toward the end of the game.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
it's not good. my old roommate and i tried to play it and just couldn't finish it because it was so boring.

I'm genuinely surprised EA keeps publishing Josef Fares' games. there's no way they sell well

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I was pretty mixed on it, I absolutely love the concept and it definitely does some real solid co-op set-pieces and has some really good parts, but I also really dislike a lot of it too. It left me wanting more though and I'm looking forward to It Takes Two as I think that's a way better setting for that type of game.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Game is fantastic as an experience that you have with someone else. You really need to get to the end to understand why tbh.
Hard disagree, the game gets worse the more you play. A buddy and I played through the entire game and we were really into it for most of the game until the end and then it ruined the entire game.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This game goes off the rails the closer it gets to the end, with a really bad, cheap twist. Such a waste of interesting gameplay; undone by bad writing.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I remember playing it with some random member here when it came out who I havent spoke to again and had a great time. Game is silly and he beat me in all the ending segments but I thought it was really neat.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
the game is so silly and incongruous. there was this portion of the game where you are going down a river in boat and the whole game sequence was absurd

that said i enjoyed it and i played the game on ea access so i didn't feel cheated

Oct 29, 2017
My wife's brother knowing we play a lot of Co-Op tells me earlier this week - YOU HAVE GOT TO PLAY A WAY OUT!! ITS ONE OF THE BEST CO-OP GAMES EVER.

We started it this morning and just got to a gas station and my wife turned to me and said. You know I'm really proud that I've played enough games now to realize when I'm playing a bad one. I think I'm done. I had to agree. Outside of some interesting ideas with the split screen the game doesn't really succeed at anything it attempts. Narrative is lazy. The characters are cheesy and the gameplay is pretty nonexistent. It's the first game in a really long time I've just stopped playing. What was the reception on the forum when this came out?
One of the most memorable gaming experiences of my life, but only because I stuck it out to the end (and I'm glad I did). As a coop game designed for two players it is extremely satisfying, but the story is what really ends up coming through which is why you should stick it out.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I'm not good at reviewing games, especially in English, so if I had to review this game, I would just say "It's okay".

Still looking forward to It takes two. My girlfriend isn't much into gaming, but here and there she wants to try some coop or story game (like Life is strange) and I think this may be something for her.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
So OP didn't listen to Josef Fares and play from beginning to end? Because if so it's impossible he doesn't like it.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
My best friend and I had a great time playing through it. Sure it was cheesy and silly, but it was also a blast and a totally unique co op experience. The ending was super cool too

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Yeah, it`s basically old shool Uncharted in Co-Op. I enjoyed it though.

Oct 29, 2017
I had great time playing it with my brother. Plus we basically spent like 10 minutes on every minigame to see who was the best. Playing the musical instruments together was a damn neat moment that no one asks you to do. Thumbs up from me.

Buck_Hill

Journalist
Verified
Sep 4, 2020
It's not high art but I really enjoyed it a few years back. When you could get a pizza and crack open a few beers at home with a mate. Remember that?

For all Fares' sense of self-importance, I don't think the game takes itself too seriously. It's a fun, silly blockbuster that doesn't outstay its welcome. I'll definitely be playing the follow up.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
I loved it, fantastic experience after it wraps up. Funny and cheesy with a few strong emotional moments to share with someone.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Yeah I'm playing it online with a friend at the moment, we've just escaped the prison and I really don't have any desire to continue.

My friend though is one of those who once he starts a game has to see it through to the end, I don't want to leave him hanging but I also don't want to waste anymore time on it.

I'm trying to convince him to play Valheim instead but that's not going well.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The writing is terrible. I assume people praise it because they are playing coop and are talking over every cutscene.

GavinGT

Sep 28, 2020
It's just not a good co-op experience. The game doesn't promote creativity or meaningfully reward exploration.

funo

Oct 27, 2017
Finisherld it in one sitting with my best bud, one of the best coop experiences I've ever had.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's like a B-movie co-op game that's really funny when playing with a close friend.
Fond memories of this game.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I must have been playing a different game than many here. This game is absolutely terrible. Not only is the story incredibly cheesy, but the entire co-op aspect of it is also entirely wasted as it barely adds anything interesting.

The premise of the game sounded awesome and the entire split-screen idea is really neat. But it didn't live up to anything and it just an empty game. What a shame. The ending was kind of fun though.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
I think it's a huge drop off from Brothers, which I adored. The writing and performances were really clunky for a game that leans so heavily on that stuff. The concept was neat and the variety of situations was cool, but they whiff the narrative. Tommy Wiseau vibes almost.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game is amazing, one of the funnest coop games ever. Laughed my arse off at some parts.

k1x-

Oct 28, 2017
Played it twice, loved it twice. Wonderful co-op experience.

Interesting to read such negative opinions. But it just shows how differently games are received.

Just be aware that your personal impression can't or won't be the ultimate verdict.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
The game is short so you might as well see it through OP, but if you think the game sucks now, I trust you'll see the ending for what it really is ; a big pile of shit. It legit goes into hilariously bad territory.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I've yet to play it, but as an outsider it feels like this game is either loved or hated by everyone. I dunno what it does to click with so many and rub others the wrong way but I'm curious to find out.