• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
This entire thread is fucking embarrassing.

This is some shit I'd read on NeoNazigaf.

Be better.
You just equated people talking about how it's not bad if a piece of cloth is burned, to White Supremacists.

We're all JUST AS BAD!

People's masks slipping in this thread. That ingrained patriotism is really getting the better of people.

Oct 26, 2017
The one thing that I always find very weird about US communists is that their entire project hinges on the US military being willing to overthrow the US government (as US-based militias stand no chance against the US military in combat), but they also constantly are against the institutions that are generally aligned with the US military as well as the US military itself.

It just comes off as so bad tactically to make the whole thing seem like a LARP.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Where did I say go back? I said it doesn't make sense to move somewhere you hate. And before you jump on me for being xenophobic I can probably safely say I have done more for immigrants to this country than most people on this forum spending a good chunk of my career litigating on behalf of asylum seekers in immigration court.

by all means criticize burn flags I don't give a shit. Im just saying it doesn't make sense to move somewhere you hate. But again, I don't know his circumstances or what brought them here. Doesn't really matter.My post assumes they had other choices which I know is not the case for many.

You didn't said it literally, but since you realized that you assumed choices while ignoring their circumstances, I'm sure you can understand my point that it comes across as a xenophobic "go back" post.

I'd say this in any context, but saying things specially like that in the era we're living in, with all we've seen, and during your patriotic day, it's not a very sensible thing to say. To put it ligthly.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
It isn't, though? Like it's weird to go into a Chinese New Year thread and bitch about China's totalitarianism.
Yeah cuz the holiday predates China's government by like a millenium

Do you think only 4chan uses wojaks or something? Do you get flutters when you see Pepe?
I think Pepe has way more of a 4chan association nowadays tbh

If they become European communists then that means they've teamed up and our super chill American BBQ way of life is in danger.
oh shit not the bbq

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
"Better than some of the poorest and war torn countries in the world" is probably not the bar we should set our standards of how great America is, to.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
"Better than some of the poorest and war torn countries in the world" is probably not the bar we should set our standards of how great America is, to.
Especially when there's a good chance we're the reason some of those countries are poor and war-torn.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
3YWxZH4.png

Is an epidemic of gun violence a good reason to protest the symbol of the flag or is that still just "edginess", I wonder...

Do you want to try again or
Guess I'll take that as a "no"
No, it's called testing an idea for consistency.
But I already gave 2 solid reasons why that idea was spectacularly flawed. So I guess that test failed. Oops.

Oct 25, 2017
For the record I'm just as happy this thread got a misapplication of whatboutism as other people seemed to be happy I mentioned free university in a throwaway comment.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The one thing that I always find very weird about US communists is that their entire project hinges on the US military being willing to overthrow the US government (as US-based militias stand no chance against the US military in combat), but they also constantly are against the institutions that are generally aligned with the US military as well as the US military itself.

It just comes off as so bad tactically to make the whole thing seem like a LARP.

Who are you talking to? Are you okay?

Oct 26, 2017
3YWxZH4.png

Is an epidemic of gun violence a good reason to protest the symbol of the flag or is that still just "edginess", I wonder...

Guess I'll take that as a "no"

But I already gave 2 solid reasons why that idea was spectacularly flawed. So I guess that test failed. Oops.

I do not think most of the people in Communist-Era are for the vast gun confiscation needed to prevent mass shootings?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Failing to properly test for consistency does not make something whataboutism.
To be able to make a proper comparison the circumstances need to be the same.
And again, answering a question basically with "but waht about them", which has nothing to do with the current topic is the very definition of Whataboutism.

If you had free education, maybe you knew this but then again, you're against that idea

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
You're right. My example had substance to it.
Your example wasn't real though. You just wanted July 4th to not be white supremacist-y so you made something up, and it didn't work. Now you're flailing; trying to cling to any tiny W you can get out of this conversation.

Wrong thread?

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

finalflame's alt account?

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

What.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
He got hijacked for a while but I think after Matt Furie really came out in force for him, he got sort of accepted back into the mainstream. At least as far as I've noticed!
I'm only ever immediately suspicious of the smug version, but I have had a less-terminally online person be put off by it initially recently. I feel like Wojak has just kept evolving with the gendered, doomer, goth, etc variants that are all the rage these days.

i don't even get it. y'all 'muricans rose up against the british yet y'all kept the imperial system?
Us Americans take the phrase "show feet" very seriously

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

XgB3xhX.gif

Nov 8, 2017
Idk my explaining how the US is a white colonizer state and someone going "what about China" is pretty textbook whataboutism.

Whataboutism:

"Hey! America has commited genocide, pandered to racism and inequality, and has kept its citizens under an iron boot."

"Yeah but China does that too and I don't hear you complaining about it!"

This thread:

*Burning the flag pics*

"Umm okay".

"It's cause America colonized places in the past!"

"Yeah but the holiday isn't about that...? Countries can have horrific histories but celebrate postive aspects about itself. For example, China-"

"-WHATaBOUTism"

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You just equated people talking about how it's not bad if a piece of cloth is burned, to White Supremacists.

We're all JUST AS BAD!

People's masks slipping in this thread. That ingrained patriotism is really getting the better of people.

... What?

Burning the flag is fine, never argued against it. Actually, I would argue that it's encouraged as a form of recognized protest.

Level of discourse could use some work.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
Whataboutism:

"Hey! America has commited genocide, pandered to racism and inequality, and has kept its citizens under an iron boot."

"Yeah but Chima does that too and I don't hear you complaining about it!"

This thread:

*Burning the flag pics*

"Umm okay".

"Yeah but the holiday isn't about that...? Countries can have horrific histories but celebrate postive aspects about itself. For example, China-"

"-WHATaBOUTism"

You're just posting word salad now. Might be time for a nap?

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Whataboutism:

"Yeah but China does that too and I don't hear you complaining about it!"

This thread:

*Burning the flag pics*

"Umm okay".

"-WHATaBOUTism"

"America is a white colonizer state"

China who is famously a white colonizer state.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017

TIL communism is when military coup

Status
Not open for further replies.