• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

batfax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Morrowind is this feeling distilled, imo. It'd be my first pick every time

Yeah, Morrowind was what first came to mind. You're very much treated like an outsider throughout the game and there's a LOT of effort put into making Dunmer culture extremely unique and detailed, from the Ashlanders to the leaders of the Tribunal. I guess it's not really "solitary," since there's plenty of towns, factions, and such, but without companions or anything it's very much your own adventure that you define how you like.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017

Yes and no.

Yes, Ico is about being alone, small, in a giant, cold and echoing castle, over giant cliffs with waves crashing in the distance at the bottom.

But I think Ico didn't had the impact of SotC has it came and went relatively unoticed by both audience and designers. Sure, it got a small following and a deserved cult classic status, but I don't feel that it has influenced games like SotC later did, or Call of Duty, GTA or Dark Souls did, even at its scale.

I also feel that SotC, while being vastly different than Ico, went back on a lot of its thematic and undertones and fleshed them out. While Ico is, in the end, a classic adventure exploration puzzle game, SotC was and still is, like nothing else : an open world, 16 bosses and that's it. No enemies, no camps, no secret, barely any collectibles. Its so focused, uncluterred and pure. It adds a lot to the experience imho, the feeling of loneliness, crushed under the infinite vastness of this empty, erie, almost desolate land. As much as the colossis themselves, I truly believe that emptying the entire map made it so much more iconic because it made us look and soak in at every ride we took, instead of most game where we are pushed to look for items, upgrades, secrets, and not look at the game anymore but at systems.

wideface

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
Betrayer - an atmospheric FPS with horror elements.
Yume Nikki - a classic. (Also YUMENIKKI -DREAM DIARY- for the modern take.)
Strange Telephone - exploration game inspired by Yume Nikki.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Hyper Light Drifter might be my favorite - the soundtrack, the atmosphere, and the sheer darkness of how fucked the world is. The forest level in particular is just incredible.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
You must play NaissanceE; the dev even made it permanently free so no barriers. It's a first person exploratiory platformer-puzzler in a brutalist megastructure that feels utterly alien. It's linear but never feels linear, since your guidance is so subtle in the environment. It imparts the sense of wandering a long-abandoned otherworldly catacombs; skirting the boundaries and heights and depths of a place you were never meant to be within

FAE5FBB7739EAB876455F65D6B648994DCC1CF9C

A879ABB246896B9AD99925A26F890027CF1674DE

39FCA48E53F6F18EB3070F8D625524EE8B799A29

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Disco Elysium

You wander

You feel lonely

You feel existential dread

You pick up trash

You solve crime, not necessarily in that order

Astroroom

Aug 19, 2020
Yes and no.

Yes, Ico is about being alone, small, in a giant, cold and echoing castle, over giant cliffs with waves crashing in the distance at the bottom.

But I think Ico didn't had the impact of SotC has it came and went relatively unoticed by both audience and designers. Sure, it got a small following and a deserved cult classic status, but I don't feel that it has influenced games like SotC later did, or Call of Duty, GTA or Dark Souls did, even at its scale.

I also feel that SotC, while being vastly different than Ico, went back on a lot of its thematic and undertones and fleshed them out. While Ico is, in the end, a classic adventure exploration puzzle game, SotC was and still is, like nothing else : an open world, 16 bosses and that's it. No enemies, no camps, no secret, barely any collectibles. Its so focused, uncluterred and pure. It adds a lot to the experience imho, the feeling of loneliness, crushed under the infinite vastness of this empty, erie, almost desolate land. As much as the colossis themselves, I truly believe that emptying the entire map made it so much more iconic because it made us look and soak in at every ride we took, instead of most game where we are pushed to look for items, upgrades, secrets, and not look at the game anymore but at systems.
I think you're underestimating Ico's influence. Miyazaki himself has credited it as awakening him to the possibilities of the medium. It was the inspiration for him to quit his job and get into game development. It's very apparent in the storytelling, visual design, and interconnected worlds of the Souls series.

SotC is undoubtedly great and unique but Ico has been replicated far more and is the foundational work for SotC and the genre OP is speaking of on a tonal and mechanical level.

OP and anyone else reading this should definitely check it out, the PS Now version worked just fine on my average WiFi.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna backup the mentions of Anodyne 2 and Far: Lone Sails. They're right up there for me with the big names like Dark Souls and Metroid for favorites in this very specific type of game. I saw someone mention Moon Remix RPG Adventure earlier in the thread and though I'm only a couple hours in so far, I'd definitely agree with that one too.

Don't have much to add beyond that except to say that I'm definitely gonna have to add some recommendations on here to my wishlist, so thanks for the thread

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Thread title attracted me but I think I wasn't expecting the exact route it has taken. I think more of living an adventure in foreign lands, strange places or alien, uncharted worlds. So even if you're not really alone in these, I'd add Dragon's Dogma and Mass Effect(s).

Hyper Light Drifter totally fits though as well as SotC, BotW or Souls. Ashen is a good pick, too. Journey. Probably Hob but I've never got to play it yet. Many Zelda games, especially the ones that have you travel by boat/train (apart from Breath). The Darksiders games too, especially 2 because it was more open/wide and solitary. Below, although you're just exploring fucking caves there, and they're randomised.

Inside is really good but the sentiment in the thread reminds me more of Flashback, which is basically literally the thread idea itself. Also it's still the goat cinematic platformer for me, or at least tied with Inside. Man I need more of those.

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Has Control been mentioned? Definitely had that isolation atmosphere, but within a building.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Fallout 3 has its issues, but in terms of environmental story telling and the general atmosphere exploring a post apocalyptic world, nothing beats it for me. You can play the game going from quest marker to quest marker if you want, but you can also go explore the ruined wasteland, explore every nook and cranny of an old diner or apartment building and not run into a dialogue NPC for a long time if you want. It's bleak and desolate compared to FO4.

Oct 27, 2017
Im gonna do a left field suggestion and suggest Devil May Cry 1 specifically. Parts of the game have quite the lonely atmosphere on a strange island with gothic horror trappings

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Myst is a great original example of this.

You appear on an island with nobody on it, and explore all sorts of strange and eerie spaces where it's clear all sorts of people used to live. Slowly you uncover the secrets of how the island works, the history of the family who lived here, and how everything went wrong.

Few games nail the pure lonely and exploratory vibes of Myst. I'd personally recommend realMyst version of the game, as it lets you really explore the physical spaces more fully.

Banner-realMystMasterpieceEdition.jpg

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
While it's not quite as strong as many of the other games listed here, the original Phantasy Star Online games had this. Follow-ups had settings with lots of inhabited places and numerous characters, while the original was about exploring an abandoned planet to figure out what was going on. You had a city with NPCs to go back to, but on the field it was just up to 4 people and a bunch of monsters.

alexbull_uk

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think one of the reasons I love Minecraft is that it evokes this feeling.

Most of the humans you encounter are (un)dead with no explanation why, there's abandoned structures all over the place, you can literally travel to hell, etc.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
I thought the title was a new game's title. There is this exploration game named Everybodys Gone To The Rapture which captures this vibe too

OP
OP
Dervius

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'd also throw in Ashen. It's great
Yeah, Ashen does this to a great degree.

Ashen was my favourite Soulslike by a wide margin, contested now only by Mortal Shell. Something about the art style and music, as well as your tiny light in the darkness of the dungeons that really evoke that sombre, lonely feeling.

The Journey-esque coop system goes a long way toward this as well. Wordless, seamless encounters with strangers in thw wilds.

It's a wonderful game.

I can't believe I forgot Darkwood

Darkwood ticks many of the boxes, and the atmosphere is downright oppressive. I find it genunely difficult to play this game because of the sheer level of dread it evokes. It's another very good pick. One thing it does well is the almost surreal feeling of the wood, and the confusion you experience being thrust into the middle of events.

You must play NaissanceE; the dev even made it permanently free so no barriers. It's a first person exploratiory platformer-puzzler in a brutalist megastructure that feels utterly alien. It's linear but never feels linear, since your guidance is so subtle in the environment. It imparts the sense of wandering a long-abandoned otherworldly catacombs; skirting the boundaries and heights and depths of a place you were never meant to be within

FAE5FBB7739EAB876455F65D6B648994DCC1CF9C

A879ABB246896B9AD99925A26F890027CF1674DE

39FCA48E53F6F18EB3070F8D625524EE8B799A29

This looks very, very cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

Myst is a great original example of this.

You appear on an island with nobody on it, and explore all sorts of strange and eerie spaces where it's clear all sorts of people used to live. Slowly you uncover the secrets of how the island works, the history of the family who lived here, and how everything went wrong.

Few games nail the pure lonely and exploratory vibes of Myst. I'd personally recommend realMyst version of the game, as it lets you really explore the physical spaces more fully.

Banner-realMystMasterpieceEdition.jpg

Myst has been mentioned once or twice, and your description encompass exactly the feeling I wanted to describe. It's another in the already few dozen suggestions I'll have t check out.

Camwi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Don't Starve hasn't been mentioned. You're alone (until they updated the game, anyways), it's a dark and oppressive world, and everything in the game wants to kill you. It's great.

Don%27t_Starve_cover.jpg

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Does King's Field count? Made by From and definitely the immediate ancestor of Souls games.

The "cousins" all fit here too: Shadow Tower, Shadow Tower Abyss, and Eternal Ring all carry this same atmosphere.

Absolutely. You're just plopped into a strange environment. Along with the art direction and music, it perfectly conveys this feeling.

OP
OP
Dervius

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Metro does this quite well actually, especially those early surface treks. You've seen post-apoclytpic settings before, you know the outer world is fucked from the beginning of the game but those first few forays are really something.

Open air somehow more hostile and oppressive than the tight, mutant ridden tunnels underneath it.

behOemoth

Oct 27, 2017
The ICO trilogy is about exploration and puzzle solving in a maze like world while feeling some kind of loneliness.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and I hope that the remake will try to capture exploration, myth and not the heavily stylized parkour gameplay.

The Longing is a game I recently played and it's somewhat really strange to describe. The whole purpose of the game is to wait in your maze for 400 days (real time). You can beat it way faster though.
I
header.jpg

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Just finished Hyper Light Drifter, what a great game! Thanks for this thread, I would never have played it otherwise! 🥰 Any info if a sequel is planned?

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Legend of Mana and it gives off those vibes to me personally, though I could see that not being universal.

You wake up one day in an empty plane and start creating the world around you, with strange creatures doing strange things with a very surreal feel. The world is vibrant, but very separate from the player character, where everything ultimately feels like a facade. By the ending your not sure if you even exist, or are just a figment of the inhabitants imaginations, or vice versa. Interesting game.

OP
OP
Dervius

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Just finished Hyper Light Drifter, what a great game! Thanks for this thread, I would never have played it otherwise! 🥰 Any info if a sequel is planned?

As mentioned above, Solar Ash Kingdom seems like something of a spiritual successor.

I truly love HLD, one of the few games I've double dipped on (for Switch) and enjoyed it even more the second time through.

May 17, 2019
  • This War of Mine
  • To The Moon
  • Middens Trilogy
  • Year Walk
  • Dujanah
  • Pagan Autogeny
  • Ossuary
  • Primordia
  • The Music Machine
  • The Sea Will Claim Everything