• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There were rumors of this for a while. Microsoft only had the publishing rights for 1 & 2 and there was some drama between them and Epic before 3 came out.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
I just saw this on twitter. Pretty fascinating stuff.
Yeah not sure if the build itself has leaked yet but this was the only actual copy of the game that was built by them for the PS3. Now since a lot of people have their hands on the source code to Gears 3 they can actually build their own versions.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Fascinating! I love that it's a complete playthrough of the game. Despite all the glitches and wonky framerate!

Love stuff like this.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Wow .. this is fascinating.

I remember back on oldgaf the discussions about possible PS3 ports of the Gears game (especially after UT came out on PS3) were rampant but it never came to be.

Almost as feverish as MGS 4 coming on 360.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Damn, when I read "full playthrough" I was assuming it was a few test maps or something not the whole ass 8 hour game. That's pretty damn cool!

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had no clue this even existed. Wild stuff.

OP
OP
Mullet2000

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
There were rumors of this for a while. Microsoft only had the publishing rights for 1 & 2 and there was some drama between them and Epic before 3 came out.

I was going to write that in the OP but I couldn't recall if I was remembering that right. I definitely thought I remembered rumors about the game going multiplatform back then.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Pretty cool, just goes to show that most of these exclusive games can be done on any other comparable hardware and all of this "can only be done here" stuff is nonsense. So many console games are made playable on pc too and just never get a build for it.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
This is a very cool find. I was really excited about the possibility of this at the time. It seemed impossible but then Bioshock and Mass Effect had come to Playstation which was almost as crazy.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
It would be interesting to know what went on behind the curtains before MS bought Gears. Looks like the plans to bring the franchise to PS were far along.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It would be interesting to know what went on behind the curtains before MS bought Gears. Looks like the plans to bring the franchise to PS were far along.
I mean the thing about UE3 was you could just build these games for a different platform if you were licensed to do so. So them building this would have been just a click of a button which is why you see so many bugs in it as they probably never combed through any of this.
I had no clue this even existed. Wild stuff.
Yeah there's plenty of things like this out there in the wild.
I'm so confused. What's the story behind this? How do we know it's legit?
I mentioned it in this thread already but a while ago SuperDAE hacked a shitload of companies, one of them being Epic, and for some reason among source code for their other games and what not there was a single build with no source behind it of this PS3 copy of Gears. It's the only legitimate copy of the game for a Sony platform out there.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I mean the thing about UE3 was you could just build these games for a different platform if you were licensed to do so. So them building this would have been just a click of a button which is why you see so many bugs in it as they probably never combed through any of this.

Yeah there's plenty of things like this out there in the wild.

I mentioned it in this thread already but a while ago SuperDAE hacked a shitload of companies, one of them being Epic, and for some reason among source code for their other games and what not there was a single build with no source behind it of this PS3 copy of Gears. It's the only legitimate copy of the game for a Sony platform out there.

can you send me more? i love this stuff!

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty cool, just goes to show that most of these exclusive games can be done on any other comparable hardware and all of this "can only be done here" stuff is nonsense. So many console games are made playable on pc too and just never get a build for it.
Of course it always is. I mean, we don't know what they would have to change for PS3 to get this to a state where it's a good performer but of course this was a possible port. Same as Uncharted: a 360 version of that would not look much worse and largely mostly identical. There wasn't much the other machine couldn't do in the end. They just used different methods to get the same visual result.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did Unreal engine ever run well on PS3? I know it had some performance issues initially with Stranglehold and Area 51. The performance here looks awful too

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Did Unreal engine ever run well on PS3? I know it had some performance issues initially with Stranglehold and Area 51. The performance here looks awful too
It's not a final build of course. If the port moved forward they would have optimized it.

UE3 would have made the initial build easy enough but then devs would have to comb through it and optimize it little by little. This is what people mean when they say porting is not just "click to port" even on engines that run on a variety of consoles.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Man, if this released back in the day, the energy from the console warring shitstorm would have powered small cities.