• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020
Its amazing that people lap it all up thinking it is the truth, hence my comment. Too many people here think everything thing this guy says is a fact when it is really just one persons heavily spun opinion.

What are you even talking about? The video is about providing solutions to people who want to play games made or published by companies they feel uneasy supporting. What the hell can he spin or lie about? The majority of the message is "buy used if you really want to play it, or consider not buying at all because there's plenty of good games by non-shitty entities out there."

Hate on the dude all you want, but pick a relevant criticism to the topic at hand.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Its amazing that people lap it all up thinking it is the truth, hence my comment. Too many people here think everything thing this guy says is a fact when it is really just one persons heavily spun opinion.
Ah, yes, because people talking/writing about games should all just be PR mouthpieces for massive corporations. Beelzebub forbid that someone actually talks about the sexual abuse, gender & race inequalities, predatory business practices, workers' rights abuses etc. Those are certainly not things that exist in the game industry that shills just want to ignore to continue their uncritical consumption of their precious vidya geimus. Mmhmmm

Oct 2, 2018
And this one did already.

www.resetera.com

A Video About Playing Videogames From Terrible Companies (The Jimquisition)

Didn't see a thread yet It's a good video and it's a difficult one to grapple with, ultimately I respect anyone's choice to boycott, skip or avoid anything they can't see themselves supporting, but at the same time it's hard not to support a lot of things you don't agree with Even used games...

that's a different topic almost. This one is regarding his advocacy of piracy. He might be talking around it, but he's really saying "go pirate this".

I don't mind JS even if complains a little too often - but this thread is critical to what he's actually saying/not saying.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
In my headcanon, J Sterling voices this guy in Watchdogs 3

obdDoNx_.jpg

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"I'm against piracy, but if something is worth more than I personally think it's worth and I could easily steal it without getting caught, I'll just steal it"

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I mean for the love of god can we just keep politics out of are gaming journalism /s

In all honesty it's made me pretty disgusted seeing journalist handle Ubisoft after the sexual assault reports came in... I wish more people would stop giving Ubisoft an excuse on this and bring it up a lot more. It's sick it's just getting pushed under the rug it seems like...

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Imagine watching this video and you walk away with the conclusion the video is condoning piracy lmfao

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I feel like if you want to boycott a company you should just not consume its content.

Video games aren't food or medicine. You can just as easily give the companies that make them "zero dollars" by simply not buying the game.

Whenever I hear piracy painted as some form of civil resistance it always just comes off as slacktivism / a justification for not paying for things you want.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Disagree with Jim in this one. If your mad enough to not support the company I feel not engaging with the product even if you would like to is a large part of it, personal opinion and all.

As for piracy specifically, won't say it's ethical but the only time I personally support it is when a company makes it impossible for you to acquire the product through legal means, and even then there are times where their are reasons and I would support the decision for it not to be available.

All just an opinion though (unlike the issues Jim talks about which are usually pretty factual no matter what some might say).

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I can tell Sterling is on the path to not being allowed to have threads one day lol.

Well this take of his wont help that if true. Piracy isn't the answer to shit like this. I hated the Epics games exclusives, but I waited on them to release when applicable. I didnt go and fucking steal them because I disagreed with some stuff. Even in the case of LEGITIMATELY shitty games; I don't agree with just up and stealing the shit, and I don't understand or fw anyone who does.

Im going to clear a moment to watch this video, I hope the OP is a lie honestly, because this would be absolutely ridiculous.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
If anyone actually clicked the video and watched more than 30 seconds past the time stamped part, you would see that the entire premise that this thread is based off is wrong. Immediatly saying "the previous sentence was a joke, I do not advocate piracy" somehow is unclear?

He said he was going to pirate Mulan and not watch it. And then immediatly says the whole bit is a joke.

But here we are

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Well this take of his wont help that if true. Piracy isn't the answer to shit like this. I hated the Epics games exclusives, but I waited on them to release when applicable. I didnt go and fucking steal them because I disagreed with some stuff. Even in the case of LEGITIMATELY shitty games; I don't agree with just up and stealing the shit, and I don't understand or fw anyone who does.

Im going to clear a moment to watch this video, I hope the OP is a lie honestly, because this would be absolutely ridiculous.
It's a joke that isn't even about games.
Y'all go to some pretty weird lengths to justify your weird obsessions with what other folks download lol

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It got me thinking that it'd be nice if Jim actually spent some time shining a light on some of the TRIPLE-A studios that do things more ethically than the norm - or at least, studios that by all accounts seem to have healthy, respectful work cultures.
how does he confirm that there isn't bad shit happening at a given studio that hasn't come to light yet?

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's a joke that isn't even about games.
Y'all go to some pretty weird lengths to justify your weird obsessions with what other folks download lol

I literally said in the post you quoted that I hope its an exaggeration and that Im going to be watching the video soon. Do yall just read the first sentence and hit reply? If its a joke then good, like I said, because it would be ridiculous to actually condone piracy. And out of character for him too.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the love for all that is holy, ignore what you don't like. You don't need to tell everyone else that you're freaking miserable.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I literally said in the post you quoted that I hope its an exaggeration and that Im going to be watching the video soon. Do yall just read the first sentence and hit reply? If its a joke then good, like I said, because it would be ridiculous to actually condone piracy. And out of character for him too.
You literally posted before watching the video and gave some weird essay about morally superiority for not downloading shit

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Spend 60 seconds watching the clip before spending 5 mins making assumptions? *shrug*

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You literally posted before watching the video and gave some weird essay about morally superiority for not downloading shit

Oh you managed to read the first few words I typed:

"Well this take of his wont help that if true."

Want a round of applause for that? I made that clear not only in the opening sentence, but for those with selective sight I even ended my post by doubling down on that. I responded with a full reading of the OP, indicated I hoped it was an exaggeration and your contribution to the discussion is to tell me what I already said in the thread, twice.

Oh, and to also call not being okay with piracy an "essay about moral superiority"? Some of yall are weirdos. Im not sure what about my post offended you but do me a favor and use ignore. Not really interested in any further scathing observations mate.

May 17, 2018
User Warned (Permanent Thread Ban): Thread Whining
Who's surprised?

Dude's channel is only meant to rile people up. He's clearly not the messiah he thinks he is.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Spend 60 seconds watching the clip before spending 5 mins making assumptions? *shrug*

I've gotten there now.

And no.

Ill respond to the OP first while explaining that I plan on consuming the content twice in my post if I so desire. If that's too much for you to handle, see above. I do find it funny though, it took under 14 minutes to generate that kind of extreme reaction from three people while I finished a conference call at 10PM on a weeknight.

Seriously....

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I've gotten there now.

And no.

Ill respond to the OP first while explaining that I plan on consuming the content twice in my post if I so desire. If that's too much for you to handle, see above. I do find it funny though, it took under 14 minutes to generate that kind of extreme reaction from three people while I finished a conference call at 10PM on a weeknight.

Seriously.... Gaming side is on some weird shit sometimes.
It's ok. I was mostly reacting to the others reaction of your reaction. Frankly you are better than the other 99% of comments in Jim Sterling threads.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017

Oh, I agree with you. I was more so talking about the growing number of people who come into these threads to complain about them. Eventually, something will change.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
And thus you've fallen right into my trap.
Tbh this thread IS a trap, I knew exactly what the responses would be like, just with Jim Sterlings name attached. People spend more time getting angry about him being angry, and don't actually verify anything. Discourse is dead.

Piracy of course is not justified ever but there is not actually advocation for that here. It's sarcasm and a joke to express his disgust for the way that Mulan is being sold to consumers. And he even makes it absolutely clear because he knows people will take it out of context, and here we are.

Last edited:

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tbh this thread IS a trap, I knew exactly what the responses would be like, just with Jim Sterlings name attached. People spend more time getting angry about him being angry, and don't actually verify anything. Discourse is dead.

Piracy of course is not justified ever but there is not actually advocation for that here. It's sarcasm and a joke to express his disgust for the way that Mulan is being sold to consumers. And he even makes it absolutely clear because he knows people will take it out of context, and here we are.
my favorite part is the people saying "Jim shouldn't advocate piracy, if you don't want to support the company you don't have to play their games"

damn! why didn't he think of that

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
In the recent years this is something to come into my mind.

"Should I buy Kingdom Come, games from THQ Nordic and now Ubisoft?"

Initially I set a rule to only buy them on deep sale but I not sure if I feel ok with this anymore.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Who's surprised?

Dude's channel is only meant to rile people up. He's clearly not the messiah he thinks he is.
Yes, the evils of wanting to keep people informed about rape, sexual harassment, racial & gender inequalities, worker rights abuses & scummy business practices. How dare anyone raise their voice & try to get people to care!

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I find it very ironic to post this in a Jim Sterling thread
Dear lawd you people are barking up the wrong tree here. What solutions are they ignoring (Sterling is non-binary, so I'm referring to Sterling with the "they")? It's not Sterling who should take action or who is ignoring solutions on how to not rape & cover the rapces of women at the workplace, so who are your silly attempts at Hottest, Dumbest Takes directed at? Nothing or not enough is being done at the companies Sterling is criticizing. There are solutions but companies certainly aren't taking them or their attempts are so half-assed that they might as well do nothing because very little (if anything) is ultimately being solved through the "solutions" they do use. It's not Sterling's fault or issue that companies keep repeating the shit that he is criticizing.

So... no, nothing ironic about it when sexual harassment & rape, increasing amount of scummy business practices in & out of games etc. continue being a huge issue that affect & destroy lives in the gaming industry, no matter how many videos of different instances Sterling makes.

Try again.