• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Didn't see a thread yet

It's a good video and it's a difficult one to grapple with, ultimately I respect anyone's choice to boycott, skip or avoid anything they can't see themselves supporting, but at the same time it's hard not to support a lot of things you don't agree with

Even used games mean supporting Gamestop or Amazon most of the time, and they're not exactly companies with a clear record

The best thing we can do is to speak about about the things we don't agree with, raise awareness, challenge people, try and push things towards more positive outcomes

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
@ Jim:

watch_dogs_kingu7knh.jpg

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't there a mega thread for Jim's videos?

www.resetera.com

James Stephanie Sterling: Thank God for |OT| Latest Episode: Latest Episode: Silent Hill: Ascension Is F*cking Disgusting OT

This is probably a thread that needed to be made quite a while ago but I finally decided to make it myself. Threads concerning Jim's videos like their Jimpressions and Jimquisitions can often end up being a mess, especially if said videos are criticizing a game or company people on ERA like and...

I believe the current policy around Jim's videos is that Jimquisitions are still allowed their own threads but his other stuff (like Jimpressions) goes in the OT.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished. That was a good video. Didn't feel like he dove very deep into the ethics and morality of supporting some of these shit companies, but his solutions make sense to me. Buy used, or don't buy at all.

OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Just finished. That was a good video. Didn't feel like he dove very deep into the ethics and morality of supporting some of these shit companies, but his solutions make sense to me. Buy used, or don't buy at all.

Unless it's Mulan, then you should pirate it

Just to make it clear, that was a joke and I do not condone, endorse or support piracy of anything, at all

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Ah, I see.

Anyway, apparently the video was already posted on that thread.
Yep. That's likely to happen within the OT. The OT is kind of a catch-all for all of his content, but depending on industry relevance of his Jimquisitions, it's likely that a separate topic will pop up to cover that particular video.

Still laughing at whoever compared his Patreon to lootboxes.
Absolute batshit logic, whoever came up with that one.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I swear I read that argument in this forum before.
Yep. That's likely to happen within the OT. The OT is kind of a catch-all for all of his content, but depending on industry relevance of his Jimquisitions, it's likely that a separate topic will pop up to cover that particular video.

Absolute batshit logic, whoever came up with that one.
Newspapers are the original lootboxes, you never know the next day's news.

Sep 23, 2018
I feel like an asshole for paying £30 for Days Gone second hand.
I feel like Bend should have gotten some of my money at least.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'm glad he lists off a bunch of great indie games towards the end there.

Oct 2, 2018
youtu.be

A Video About Playing Videogames From Terrible Companies (The Jimquisition)

http://www.patreon.com/jimquisition http://www.thejimquisition.com https://www.thejimporium.com I'm often asked how one can continue enjoying videogames publ...

his bizarre OT comment about pirating the Mulan movie seems to be an advocacy for piracy and then it keeps going and its the weirdest thing he's saying. And he's clearly condoning it no matter what he's saying.

I don't even see why he even went there. Even going so far to say its ethical.

Please listen/watch before commenting - starts at the 10 minute timestamp.

May 24, 2019
I think if you're against something just take a stand and do without it.
Why would you want to engage with Disney or Ubisoft properties at all if the companies practices put you off?

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His main videos can get their own threads
And this one did already.

www.resetera.com

Didn't see a thread yet It's a good video and it's a difficult one to grapple with, ultimately I respect anyone's choice to boycott, skip or avoid anything they can't see themselves supporting, but at the same time it's hard not to support a lot of things you don't agree with Even used games...

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PCZJw7.gif

I think when it comes to stuff like throttling availability of your media for either no reason or to push a busted version of it and not allowing access to new parties, it invites piracy. You'd cut down on it substantially by improving backwards compatibility

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I'm glad he lists off a bunch of great indie games towards the end there.

It got me thinking that it'd be nice if Jim actually spent some time shining a light on some of the TRIPLE-A studios that do things more ethically than the norm - or at least, studios that by all accounts seem to have healthy, respectful work cultures.

We all know that there are lots of good indies out there, and that's also sort-of a given. But Sterling must also recognize that there's people out there who want big, expensive "triple-A" experiences too.

Jim's crusade to point out the industry's failings doesn't have to always come from the negative perspective of dragging the companies who deserve it. It can also mean elevating studios that deserve it.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
It got me thinking that it'd be nice if Jim actually spent some time shining a light on some of the TRIPLE-A studios that do things more ethically than the norm - or at least, studios that by all accounts seem to have healthy, respectful work cultures.

We all know that there are lots of good indies out there, and that's also sort-of a given. But Sterling must also recognize that there's people out there who want big, expensive "triple-A" experiences too.

Jim's crusade to point out the industry's failings doesn't have to always come from the negative perspective of dragging the companies who deserve it. It can also mean elevating studios that deserve it.
He does that. Everytime. He wouldn't stop bringing up God of War to every other game released at the time for example.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
He does that. Everytime. He wouldn't stop bringing up God of War to every other game released at the time for example.

He occasionally gives props to individual games that don't have predatory monetization and whatnot in them, but he rarely talks about the actual studios, unless it's to drag one that is in the news for something bad (Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Ubisoft, Rocksteady, etc. etc.).

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Well he's right about piracy so it's inevitable to make that argument.

Hah, just kidding, I don't actually agree with his argument at all, could you imagine if I actually said that without making it clear it's a joke? Someone could make a whole thing about how I actually mean it.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Can we just ban threads from him all together. He is a waste of time. Get mad at obvious things the YouTube channel.
Aww. Poor thing can't enjoy their favorite shitty companies games! Who cares about Ubisoft and their shitty people ASSASSIN'S CREED IS GREAT! :/

Seriously, I ignore the topics that make me upset, it's like you are a masochist if you keep touching the hot topic.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I imagine a thread discussing piracy is just going to end up locked.
edit: Especially when it's already been posted:
www.resetera.com

Didn't see a thread yet It's a good video and it's a difficult one to grapple with, ultimately I respect anyone's choice to boycott, skip or avoid anything they can't see themselves supporting, but at the same time it's hard not to support a lot of things you don't agree with Even used games...

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Yeah I'm not for piracy other than pretty extreme scenarios and while I understand where he's coming from I think it's hypocritical of him.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
Its amazing that people lap it all up thinking it is the truth, hence my comment. Too many people here think everything thing this guy says is a fact when it is really just one persons heavily spun opinion.
Sure, you can have the opinion that all the reports of abuse and worker mistreatment that come from his verifiable sources like Jason schreier are made up, that the anti-consumer practices of the industry are actually just misunderstood or non-existent. These are all opinions after all, Jim isn't basing his videos on anything factual that actually exists at all.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Its amazing that people lap it all up thinking it is the truth, hence my comment. Too many people here think everything thing this guy says is a fact when it is really just one persons heavily spun opinion.
sterling is one of a handful of people who actually cares about these things in the industry enough to even talk about it. you might not like his approach or find him to overeact but hes a necessity in an industry that uses journalism as nothing more than an extension of their marketing team.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
He occasionally gives props to individual games that don't have predatory monetization and whatnot in them, but he rarely talks about the actual studios, unless it's to drag one that is in the news for something bad (Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Ubisoft, Rocksteady, etc. etc.).
That's probably because his videos on studios are usually based on reports, he won't really make impromptu praise on a whim unless he actually knows about the condition of the studio.