• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
What are your recommendations for the best A/V receivers out there right now that accommodate all the bells and whistles for gaming and 4K media playback?
Two important priorities for me and my partner:

- A/V sync — all the receivers we've had in the past, including our current one, have had at least some issues in some audio modes with audio lag. I know that sometimes the source of this issue is in the attached devices themselves (like the game console), but I was to understand that the A/V sync features on receivers help fix that kind of thing, and ours does shit-all in that regard. (It's a Sony DH540)

- I don't know if this is a thing, but do modern receivers offer options to pipe out audio from one source, and video from another? An ideal use-case for us would be me using my PS5 + PS headset for audio, while our living room speakers pipe out my partner's Spotify music.

Thanks for any recos! (I hear Denon's legit?)

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Denon AVR-s750h (2019) and a Yamaha Aventage RX-A2A (2021). Both are 7.2 surround sound receivers with support for all the major audio formats, but the latter has seven HDMI inputs, three of which are the 2.1 spec, an HDMI 2.1 output, and support for up to 8k/60fps content. There was an issue with a lot of the 2020 AVRs that promised HDMI 2.1 compatibility (some hardware limitation that probably can't be fixed with a firmware update), but the Aventage just released this January and I'm assuming it's been fixed. I haven't been able to thoroughly test it yet, but my PS5 has no issues running through it.

If you need something beefier, the higher range Aventage series models are supposed to release some time later this year, but the A2A exceeded most of my needs.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Now is the worst time to buy a receiver. Don't buy anything right now. HDMI 2.1 is broken on all receivers so wait until they release new ones that work properly which means waiting for their next iteration.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
Stay away from Yamaha receivers if you like your bluetooth to be rock solid, and/or want to use wifi with it. Their software is pretty terrible, I've been through two different devices of theirs now and neither one can hold a wifi connection for more than a week (all my other devices work perfectly on my wifi network and I've spent weeks trying to fix them).

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've never had a problem with Denon (currently got the AVR-X2500H, which I've had for a couple of years and was an upgrade from the X2000).

But yeah, don't buy one now if you can possibly wait. Wait until the kinks with HDMI 2.1 are worked out and they have it across all ports.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
sony DN1080 has served me well
unfortunately i'm already looking for a replacement this year for hdmi 2.1 compatibility

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
sony DN1080 has served me well
unfortunately i'm already looking for a replacement this year for hdmi 2.1 compatibility
Got the same unit and it's been great for me. Have it setup for 7.2, it's been great with the PS5/XSX so far but I am limited to 4k/60 with my projector anyway.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
Got the same unit and it's been great for me. Have it setup for 7.2, it's been great with the PS5/XSX so far but I am limited to 4k/60 with my projector anyway.
I just made the "mistake" of ordering a 120hz/VRR TV this past weekend. I'm hoping eARC works just fine as a temporary solution for consoles, but my current TV doesn't support that so I can't really test it out. That said, I don't think I play any games on either system at the moment with 120fps support

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
I've had good value with Marantz but as someone else mentioned I'd leave committing until 2021 models have sorted hdmi issues. If your building a dedicated room one thing to consider is equalisation software. If money was no object I would go for a Lyngdorf processor for the Roomperfect software.

Audio delay is usually a source issue; most receivers can sort a range of 300ms but sometimes it can vary between sources.

You can usually setup a zone 2 for different audio and video inputs.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
this sounds like hyperbole. How is it broken on "all receivers?"
The chip implementation is made by one provider and there was defect in the design, a lot of receivers use it and can not actually pass 120hz / 4K because of the defect. Apparently it is also not correctable via software, at least that's the last update I read.
Edit: Heres an article on it,
www.thefpsreview.com

HDMI 2.1 Receivers Can't Pass 4K/120 Hz Content from NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs and Xbox Series X Due to Major Chipset Bug - The FPS Review

If you're thinking of spending big bucks on a shiny, new HDMI 2.1-compatible receiver, forget about it.
Double Edit: Looks like Denon/Marantz work
www.audioholics.com

Denon & Marantz Announce HDMI 2.1 Receivers 4k/120Hz Works Without Issue!

Sound United annouced their latest HDMI 2.1 AV receivers from Denon and Marantz actually will support 4k/120Hz resolution without any issues. See how this problem has been resolved and what's next.

Last edited:

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The chip implementation is made by one provider and there was defect in the design, a lot of receivers use it and can not actually pass 120hz / 4K because of the defect. Apparently it is also not correctable via software, at least that's the last update I read.
Edit: Heres an article on it,
www.thefpsreview.com

HDMI 2.1 Receivers Can't Pass 4K/120 Hz Content from NVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs and Xbox Series X Due to Major Chipset Bug - The FPS Review

If you're thinking of spending big bucks on a shiny, new HDMI 2.1-compatible receiver, forget about it.
Double Edit: Looks like Denon/Marantz work
www.audioholics.com

Denon & Marantz Announce HDMI 2.1 Receivers 4k/120Hz Works Without Issue!

Sound United annouced their latest HDMI 2.1 AV receivers from Denon and Marantz actually will support 4k/120Hz resolution without any issues. See how this problem has been resolved and what's next.
The Denon's work, eh? Interest rising

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
Not entirely just in their lab right now. Here's the current state: https://www.avforums.com/threads/ne...by-hdmi-2-1-bug.2321131/page-11#post-28734850

The whole thing is a mess. I'm probably waiting for 2023 models (TV + receiver) at this point.
Interest waning. Meh, no biggie. I've got a Sharc, so my Pioneer Elite will keep me going for a while.
Yeah honestly I would wait until the next chip revision.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately my old ONKYO TX-SR309 has died and I need a replacement now, what would be a good choice for around $400? I have a 5:1 setup with a 65" L9 and a PS5

Or would it be better to wait and survive with the TV speakers until all the issues are resolved?

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately my old ONKYO TX-SR309 has died and I need a replacement now, what would be a good choice for around $400? I have a 5:1 setup with a 65" L9 and a PS5

Or would it be better to wait and survive with the TV speakers until all the issues are resolved?

I would wait to see what gets announced for this year's models.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I'd be curious about this too ^

Also, audio lag. It's my greatest fear in making a receiver purchase. I play quite a lot of Project Diva and what have you, and would really like to avoid having to move cables around for individual games. I'm currently using an ancient Creative 5.1 speaker/woofer setup with optical connection, and that's served me fine, but it's such a hassle to get compressed audio from the PC, and even the sound blaster card I got for that express purpose introduces mmmmmad audio lag.

So yeah, negligible audio latency is my main concern.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Onkyo / Pioneer were announced back in January. They claim that they are using a new HDMI 2.1 chipset without the bug from previous models.
Denon / Marantz are usually around May / June.
Yamaha was in August last year.

As usual, schedules may be different due to the pandemic disrupting supply chains.

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
Onkyo / Pioneer were announced back in January. They claim that they are using a new HDMI 2.1 chipset without the bug from previous models.
Denon / Marantz are usually around May / June.
Yamaha was in August last year.

As usual, schedules may be different due to the pandemic disrupting supply chains.
Thanks, good to know. I thought we might need to wait until the 2022 releases for the fix.

My almost 10yr old Yamaha seems to be finally dying and I'll need something soon. It takes about 15 minutes to get an audio signal and I'm starting to get some audio cutout and pops.

Update: After some light research, It looks like this is a common fault of the Yamaha RX-V673. The DPS chip goes bad and the firmware doesn't show a version number. I'll factory reset and re-install the latest firmware. I'm not too upset because it has lasted awhile and I need something new anyways.

Last edited:

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Now is the worst time to buy a receiver. Don't buy anything right now. HDMI 2.1 is broken on all receivers so wait until they release new ones that work properly which means waiting for their next iteration.
This. Don't buy a receiver. I personally wouldn't for at least another two years

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
My Yamaha AVR is officially toast because of a faulty DSP chip.

I think I'm going to sell off my Polk RTiA speaker set and get into a mid/high range sound bar to hold me off until these HDMI 2.1 issues are completely resolved. I can always move the soundbar into the bedroom later on.

Front: 2 x RTiA 5
Center: CSiA 6
Back: 2 x RTiA 3
Surround: 2 x FXiA 6

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Just got a Sony STR DN-1080 and I have to say it's a very good av for the price. I noticed the sound quarry was better straight away, and it's the first one I've had where the av sync was spot on with all my devices. Haven't had to adjust it at all. It's got a decent amount of features too.

OP
OP
Magnus

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly a year later, we haven't purchased one, lol. I kept hearing anecdotally that the issue persisted with a lot of receivers out there, and that it was a bad time to buy one. Still the case? What have most of you decided to do?

Phylyps

Oct 29, 2017
Amsterdam
I'm waiting for a sub €500 HDMI 2.1 Atmos receiver, something like an updated version of the Sony mentioned above. Could be a long wait, but my old Denon 5.1 works fine with everything connected directly to the tv.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nearly a year later, we haven't purchased one, lol. I kept hearing anecdotally that the issue persisted with a lot of receivers out there, and that it was a bad time to buy one. Still the case? What have most of you decided to do?
I was just looking into this today, and came across this article about Denon's recent models. It seems they fixed the HDMI 2.1 glitch in May, so I'm guessing these ones are okay.

I'm still kind of at a stand-still because I need an HDMI 2.1 1x2 splitter and HDMI 2.1 capture card that simply don't exist currently.

I have an old 2010/2011 Yamaha receiver right now, and I will never buy another Yamaha again because the quality of 480p passthrough on this thing is atrocious. Even over HDMI, 480p has an incredible amount of noise, and the component inputs have interference regardless of any cable I use (it is definitely the receiver causing issues, because plugged directly into my TV the image quality is fine). I still have my PS2 and Wii hooked up, and did end up just getting a Retrotink 5X, but because the PS2 output is so weird, it doesn't really work as well as I'd like.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017

The 2021 models are still being released from all the manufacturers, huge delays due to supply chain issues. They are probably okay to get it you are desperate. Personally I'm waiting another couple years. For now, I'm using something similar to Sharc and Hdmi switch to avoid using ARC.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Also looking into this. Have been eyeing the Denon x3700h as it seems to be consensually the best option for value/performance for gaming.

Was however looking for a new model and it seems it was not announced yet, correct? If I'm not mistaken the x3700h is a 2020 model and these receivers have been updated more or less yearly, right ? Also OOS everywhere so I am guessing it's all due to covid and the chip shortage.

Currently have a pioneer vsx 932.

Reason for upgrading/requirements are wanting to have 120 FPS and VRR support (and g sync free sync if possible) for the PS5 and XSX; wanting more power for speakers and, mostly, needing an amp with pre outs.

The plan is to use the pre out to drive the front L-R speakers through my Rega Elicit. Speakers are B&W's 705 s2s which need decent power. This need will be a non-issue if I run them through the pre outs but I may end up getting a matching center channel which will need power and currents (dips to 3.7 ohms).

So, are any alternatives (around the 1000-1200 euros mark) to the 3700h I should consider and/or is a new x3700h successor slated to be announced ? Read in this thread that it usually happens in may June but only saw the more affordable s series get updates.