• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Why did he offer a Twitter account to his employer to review?

Did he have a Twitter account with his real name and identifiable personal details?

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You'd have to really try to hard to convince me this "AI-based" technology isn't just using the Twitter API to keyword search for flagged words. Either that, or it's a warehouse of North Koreans being paid $0.00001 for each determination.

They come off as glorified search engines in this case.

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
Firstly, how is this legal. Secondly, this is why you should have your privacy settings for facebook set up, and for twitter, just don't use your real name! Oh, yes, and if an employer asks for your social media accounts, refuse, and walk - you don't want to work for that company.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
Garry Whitta was ahead of the game when he deleted all his forum posts after he got picked up by Disney as a SW writer.

Applying for medical school and then residency and then jobs I've completely scrubbed, de-identified, and shut down my social media presence years ago. Companies have been looking for this kind of information for a long time.

Honestly I don't miss spending an hour or more of my day on facebook/instagram/whatever. It always was a waste of time. If I want conversation I can do better in real life, here, or on discord.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
The information in this case is perfectly fine, it's just interpreted incorrectly.

Yeah this is my view. What you say on the internet matters. People really do need to learn that. Its not some alternate dimension that separates you from responsibility or consequences.

On the other hand, this is clearly interpreted poorly. A like on a tweet about some guy winning a Who Wants to be a Millionaire game is really fucking stupid.

How does one ever guarantee that their information is interpreted correctly? It's ultimately outside of your control.

I mean, its always been outside of your control how a company chooses who they hire behind the scenes really. Not saying its right, just saying its not all that different.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
How does one ever guarantee that their information is interpreted correctly? It's ultimately outside of your control.
If the social media combing is done/verified by an actual human being then at least that's ok🤷‍♂️

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
so glad that my real name is nowhere in the internet

anything can and will be used against you

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The "big dick energy" one is the dude who "waste" a "call for help" so he can call his parents to tell he is going to win a million dollars xD

pokeystaples

Oct 27, 2017
People don't think HR is already doing this (and has been doing this) sort of social media search when you're going through the interview loops? It's literally the easiest way to figure out what a person is about and not the show they put on during an interview.
Back at my old gig and before there was an app for it, I was the person reviewing people's facebook accounts before and after interviews. This was several years ago.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
This kind of stuff makes me terrified. I've struggled with mental illness and the effects of abuse all my adult life, and as a result, I've learned some poor lessons and not been the best person on-line. Stuff like this makes me afraid I'll never be employed even if I work this stuff out.

It feels like everything is hopeless for me.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
When is resetera going private so only registered members can view posts? With kiwi bots spying on us, it's becoming necessary imo.
It would really hurt the site to not get revenue from lurkers and that would suck. People should just be more careful what they post and beyond that laugh that a bunch of sad nerds have nothing better to do haha

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
This is why i never tied my social media to my real life. It's absurd and fucked up. A friend of mine got fired because of non-offensive things he tweeted or liked not 2 years ago because it doesn't represent their values.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'd have to really try to hard to convince me this "AI-based" technology isn't just using the Twitter API to keyword search for flagged words. Either that, or it's a warehouse of North Koreans being paid $0.00001 for each determination.
It most evidently is.
Then it's just giving weights to words, but there's obviously no natural language processing involved in any of this shit

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
People don't think HR is already doing this (and has been doing this) sort of social media search when you're going through the interview loops? It's literally the easiest way to figure out what a person is about and not the show they put on during an interview.

Surface-level social media searches, sure, especially if you're in a more visible position. But If your company's HR department is contracting with a broken, easily gamed service like FAMA then they are trash and you should probably go work somewhere else if that's an option.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I will always lie under oath about my social media accounts.

Only state-level hackers could track my online presence.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
My wife worked for a background screening company. They have social media checks but they only go as far to make sure you aren't part of a white supremacist group or follow known Terrorist organisations.

She's shocked by this.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
This is why you create a Twitter handle/account (and other social media accounts) with no relations to you irl.

Its like the Bruce Wayne/Batman double life example.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Flagged for alcohol? I didn't know this was Saudi Arabia. Big dick energy is sexist and bigoted? What?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm reading this correctly, I can opt out of something I never opted in to in the first place?

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
So if I'm reading this correctly, I can opt out of something I never opted in to in the first place?

This is pretty insane. I think there need to be new laws on data collection. Its nice that alot of websites now ask you to opt in to advertising cookies and you can reject all.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how it knew his Twitter account actually belonged to him, unless his account was registered with an email address he used on his resume or soemthing.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018

This is going to be interesting going forward because most people don't really fit into the concept of an ideal person, and they tend to do and say things in private that are unsavory. Real people are dirty and rough around the edges in several ways. For example, will we be unhirable in the future because we waste way too much time on a video-game forum?

It'll be interesting to see if there ends up being a class of untouchables because they were simply too honest about themselves on Twitter, or liked or said things that don't fall into the current cultural perception of "quality person"? I don't mean people who go around liking Neo Nazi's either. I mean, more like just having conversations online where it becomes obvious that you're not a 1950's Sitcom Dad, but a real person who's neither well spoken or perfectly intelligent.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
This is going to be interesting going forward because most people don't really fit into the concept of an ideal person, and they tend to do and say things in private that are unsavory. Real people are dirty and rough around the edges in several ways. For example, will we be unhirable in the future because we waste way too much time on a video-game forum?

It'll be interesting to see if there ends up being a class of untouchables because they were simply too honest about themselves on Twitter, or liked or said things that don't fall into the current cultural perception of "quality person"? I don't mean people who go around liking Neo Nazi's either. I mean, more like just having conversations online where it becomes obvious that you're not a 1950's Sitcom Dad, but a real person who's neither well spoken or perfectly intelligent.
All it takes to solve this "problem" is to have HR departments not run by complete idiots. So who knows, I guess.

Waffles

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how it knew his Twitter account actually belonged to him, unless his account was registered with an email address he used on his resume or soemthing.

Their Twitter links to a WordPress page, which they likely provided to the employer. Pretty easy to link the two from there.