• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
u1ziupR.gif

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
"No big surprise that Barstool would interpret silence as consent"

Goddamn

But seriously this is heinously disgusting. Count me in on the GFM to fuel this court order. Plagiarism shouldn't be tolerated ever, even and especially beyond school.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Barstool fucking sucks and is the living embodiment of toxic masculinity bro mentality. I can't wait until Portnoy inevitably gets charged with some sex crime.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
They must take a lot of video content if they are worried about DCMA takedowns from Twitter.

They should probably stop doing that. If you're a news outlet, you should retweet, don't try to pass off other people's content as your own.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
They must take a lot of video content if they are worried about DCMA takedowns from Twitter.

They should probably stop doing that. If you're a news outlet, you should retweet, don't try to pass off other people's content as your own.
But that's all Barstool is. They take videos from other people and re-upload them. Sure they have Pardon My Take which is successful plus some horrid personality shows but the bulk of their content isn't their own.

I despise them, they're a fucking plague on the internet and beyond. Dave Portnoy should be in jail. I bet he'll try to throw a mob on miel after this.

Oct 28, 2017
That's not a bribe. It was a settlement offer (a bad one). Not sure of the issue based on this thread (other than barstool being awful in general).

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next generation sports media being in the stranglehold of the Masshole Industrial Complex is a sad, sad thing.

What a terrible millennium this has been. Sports were better when all Boston had to fall back on was a dozen championships from a ten team NBA that the city hated and didn't value anyway because the star was black.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
But that's all Barstool is. They take videos from other people and re-upload them. Sure they have Pardon My Take which is successful plus some horrid personality shows but the bulk of their content isn't their own.

I despise them, they're a fucking plague on the internet and beyond. El Presidente should be in jail. I bet he'll try to throw a mob on miel after this.
Yeah. Pardon My Take is great and I enjoy the pizza reviews, but Portnoy doesn't give a shit about unleashing mobs on people. It's like if a knock-off version of early 90s Howard Stern existed with social media. It's probably an insult to Howard Stern.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. Pardon My Take is great and I enjoy the pizza reviews, but Portnoy doesn't give a shit about unleashing mobs on people. It's like if a knock-off version of early 90s Howard Stern existed with social media. It's probably an insult to Howard Stern.
His pizza reviews died when he insulted Brooklyn's L&B. Plus he went for the basic triangular slice there instead of the signature square Sicilian one. You just don't do that. Just wanted to throw that out there, even if I liked the guy I'd bash him for that. /rant

And would 90's Stern would have encouraged mob attacks? Because Portnoy doxed a journalist about a month ago and encouraged his followers to go after her. Also did that to Sam Ponder which ended Barstool's deal with ESPN. I really hope PMT splits with Barstool since they're pretty good but they're part of an awful brand.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
See this is the problem. They've filed a counter notice but what they've sent to miel means that it's fucking trivial to prove they did it KNOWINGLY.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Barstool is the fucking worst and I'm tired of people using PMT to defend them.

That's the whole reason PMT exists- to give them cover and credibility.

Obviously all sizable media companies suck in certain ways but Barstool is a special level of scumbag.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
His pizza reviews died when he insulted Brooklyn's L&B. Plus he went for the basic triangular slice there instead of the signature square Sicilian one. You just don't do that. Just wanted to throw that out there, even if I liked the guy I'd bash him for that. /rant

And would 90's Stern would have encouraged mob attacks? Because Portnoy doxed a journalist about a month ago and encouraged his followers to go after her. Also did that to Sam Ponder which ended Barstool's deal with ESPN. I really hope PMT splits with Barstool since they're pretty good but they're part of an awful brand.
Yeah. Portnoy is a bad person. His act is an act, but he brings everyone down with him when he unleashes mobs on people. I don't think Stern has an outlet to do that, but his character would say crazy, outrageous things that wouldn't fly today.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, Barstool can hold that L and I didn't know one of their faces was a major douche. Thanks for the info.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
See this is the problem. They've filed a counter notice but what they've sent to miel means that it's fucking trivial to prove they did it KNOWINGLY.

Yep, Barstool (and the lawyer) are screwed if she files a lawsuit.

Twitter stuff isn't loading for me, but this is what it sounds like. Pretty common after an infringement. What's the issue here?

Barstool stole video.
She had to file a DMCA takedown to get it removed.
Barstool begged her to license it.
She ignored them.
Barstool filed a knowingly false counter notice.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, Barstool (and the lawyer) are screwed if she files a lawsuit.

Barstool stole video.
She had to file a DMCA takedown to get it removed.
Barstool begged her to license it.
She ignored them.
Barstool filed a knowingly false counter notice.
It's POSSIBLE they believe it's fair use :)
Also, hope she filed a copyright registration. Supreme Court JUST TODAY ruled that you can't file a lawsuit without having an approved copyright registration. Which can take about a year at the moment.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Barstool is the fucking worst and I'm tired of people using PMT to defend them.

That's the whole reason PMT exists- to give them cover and credibility.

Obviously all sizable media companies suck in certain ways but Barstool is a special level of scumbag.
People give Barstool a pass because of PMT?

I listen to PMT regularly but I never visit anything else Barstool and don't plan on it. I'm guessing a large chunk of the PMT audience is in my boat.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
People give Barstool a pass because of PMT?

I listen to PMT regularly but I never visit anything else Barstool and don't plan on it. I'm guessing a large chunk of the PMT audience is in my boat.

Sure, but you're still supporting the mothership financially and credibility-wise by listening to PMT, which is what I was trying to get at. PMT is their mainstream cover.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's also possible that leprechauns exist if you believe really, really hard. But the evidence suggests otherwise.
It's also possible that those communications will be barred as evidence, due to being settlement-related communications. But I didn't do well in Evidence class, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can help out on that point.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It's also possible that those communications will be barred as evidence, due to being settlement-related communications. But I didn't do well in Evidence class, so maybe someone more knowledgeable can help out on that point.

Even if you get the court to agree that Chuck's clumsy statement of facts is in fact covered under 408, then you need to argue that their whole new cockup by filing the counter-notice wasn't a new dispute that would allow you to bring in settlement talks from previous disputes. Then you would need to survive discovery as the plaintiff's attorney asks for every communication about the DMCA claim AND the counter claim and if there's not communications in there that prove that they knowingly engaged in the conduct I'll eat my left shoe.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if you get the court to agree that Chuck's clumsy statement of facts is in fact covered under 408, then you need to argue that their whole new cockup by filing the counter-notice wasn't a new dispute that would allow you to bring in settlement talks from previous disputes. Then you would need to survive discovery as the plaintiff's attorney asks for every communication about the DMCA claim AND the counter claim and if there's not communications in there that prove that they knowingly engaged in the conduct I'll eat my left shoe.
Thanks for schooling me! I knew it for the bar, and then it disappeared from my head.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm astonished GC would sign off on sending that counter notice claim to Twitter.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really know what barstool is or why they are so bad, but I probably would have just taken the $2k depending on what the video is.

is it known what video they took?

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really know what barstool is or why they are so bad, but I probably would have just taken the $2k depending on what the video is.

is it known what video they took?

Yes, it was a video of the woman who runs the twitter singing christmas carols. She didn't want video of her self being on barstool's twitter account.