• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017

The game industry is rotten from within and without. Nakedly, openly abusive of its staff as a matter of course, the stuff it actively hides and covers for consists of more personal, and more horrifying abuse. Today's episode isn't funny. It's angry. It's frank. It's not a video I enjoyed making, or enjoy publishing. But it's the grim epitome of what we talk about here.

Earlier upload than usual.

Oct 27, 2017

The game industry is rotten from within and without. Nakedly, openly abusive of its staff as a matter of course, the stuff it actively hides and covers for consists of more personal, and more horrifying abuse. Today's episode isn't funny. It's angry. It's frank. It's not a video I enjoyed making, or enjoy publishing. But it's the grim epitome of what we talk about here.
This episode was really bleak. Be warned.

tokubek

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Watched it right when it went online. I really liked this video - important subject matter handled delicately, straight to the point and actually self-reflecting.

Feb 24, 2018
Great video and their was a moment in it that really spoke to me about how the one hand doesn't clean the other and those who you hurt never have to forgive you, you can only try to do good not be who you were, that's something sadly a lot of people forget, as a victim of over a decade physical and emotional abuse at School from bullies and teacher, the amount of times I was forced to forgive bullies who weren't actually sorry was countless. To be vilified to be pressured by adults to forgive people who physically assaulted, set me on fire, used homophobic, ableist and foul language at, it was always horrible, especially when I knew they weren't sorry, they were going to be right back at it the following day knowing they got away with it.

"Just forgive and forget" is term I hate because it puts the blame and weight onto the victim and gave the bully the right to go back at it, to continue, an excuse not to own up and it's sadly something that real life and fiction have taught so many people is good thing, I despise fiction that normalises it and no, the victim is not in anyway responsible for the actions of the abuser and in no way should the weight of forgiveness be on their shoulders, I don't give a shit if their some popular Anime anti-hero that MUST be absolved of all wrong doing, I don't care if it's DC's Zatanna, some white main character in a TV, a real world Esports player, bully, sexual abuser, IT'S NEVER OKAY and it's something that needs to stop.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn. What a video to wake up to. All to him for talking about these subjects to a wider audience. Even the comments have people just learning about some of this.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic video from Jim. And good to see him not using snarky humour when talking about these subjects.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Great video and their was a moment in it that really spoke to me about how the one hand doesn't clean the other and those who you hurt never have to forgive you, you can only try to do good not be who you were, that's something sadly a lot of people forget, as a victim of over a decade physical and emotional abuse at School from bullies and teacher, the amount of times I was forced to forgive bullies who weren't actually sorry was countless. To be vilified to be pressured by adults to forgive people who physically assaulted, set me on fire, used homophobic, ableist and foul language at, it was always horrible, especially when I knew they weren't sorry, they were going to be right back at it the following day knowing they got away with it.

"Just forgive and forget" is term I hate because it puts the blame and weight onto the victim and gave the bully the right to go back at it, to continue, an excuse not to own up and it's sadly something that real life and fiction have taught so many people is good thing, I despise fiction that normalises it and no, the victim is not in anyway responsible for the actions of the abuser and in no way should the weight of forgiveness be on their shoulders, I don't give a shit if their some popular Anime anti-hero that MUST be absolved of all wrong doing, I don't care if it's DC's Zatanna, some white main character in a TV, a real world Esports player, bully, sexual abuser, IT'S NEVER OKAY and it's something that needs to stop.
While i give you 100% on all, im aware of 1 situation where it gets flipped on its head:
on person does something, fells guilty, tries to apologise, do things right, and the other states that he cant forgive him/her....for now.
And then tags the person with them as a friend only to hold it to them every time they dont act to their liking, like the sword of Damocles hanging over them "back then you did that".
In those situations, it would be honest (and probably better for everybody) to be clear that you'll never be able to forgive the person, and that continuous friendship/comradery does not work.
Since: forgiving and leting somethign behing are 2 different things, but a lot of people view them as the same.
(All in the assumption that the person that did the wrong understands their errors, is sorry and tries to to it right, if not, fuck them)

Mind you: im not flipping it around that the victim has to forgive, or that its that ofthen that this happens, i just had this happen to me (nothing huge, let a friend hanging cause i missread a situation), and its something where both have to be aware that if forgiveness is not an option a reflection if the connection (if optional, with family/collegues its ofthen less of an question) even makes sense without forgiveness. (Which is also okay, sometimes people realize,parting ways is the better option)

@Video: good seing jim being reflective, there where moments where i felt that he lashed out a bit to self-righteous on cost of others.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Based on a recent Podquisition, I think Jim's in kind of a bad place at the moment. I wasn't super surprised when I saw he'd put out an episode like this.

Jun 2, 2019
Well, that was some heavy stuff

It was a video that needed to be made, though. The videogame industry is going through some really dark times right now, it's really hard to believe how much shit is going on, and how they keep covering each other's asses and avoiding being held accountable for their actions.

And about that moment of self-reflection Jim had, since i have been following him since long ago i know how much he has changed, and i'm happy to see he hasn't relaxed about it, one must keep oneself accountable for whan you have done in the past. It's something i know very well, doing it speaks about yourself as a person.

Fuck, i'm in tears now. Some parts of the video really hit hard and close to home.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Jim, if you're reading this, this was excellent.

I appreciate your sense of humor in past videos, but it was refreshing to see you speak from the heart with some urgency about this industry's ills, how they're hurting people and the need to correct course. It was raw and real but also articulated with a degree of clarity that only comes with real introspection and reflection.

Seriously some of your best stuff yet. As much as I like your humor, this makes me realize that maybe the usual trappings ('80s cartoon footage, acoustic guitar noodling, etc) gets in the way of your message. Here, absent those things, the message resonates stronger.

Again, excellent work.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Great stuff...and by that, I mean...great video about some truly horrible shit.

Also, I couldn't fucking stand Jim back in the day. He really is a great example of someone who turned it all around to do much better.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Based on a recent Podquisition, I think Jim's in kind of a bad place at the moment. I wasn't super surprised when I saw he'd put out an episode like this.

The wrestling organization he moved across the country to work with just shut down. I'm sure that wasn't a fun thing to learn about.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
The wrestling organization he moved across the country to work with just shut down. I'm sure that wasn't a fun thing to learn about.

In the long run I think he'll be happier where he is now then he ever was in Mississippi, but yeah Jim's desire to expand into wrestling took a huge blow the past 3-4 months.

BrassDragon

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Followed Jim for years and it puts a lot of his views and diatribes into perspective.

I'm also glad he's calling out the systemic nature of this abuse, the conspiracy of silence and fear of accountiblity with all these developers and publishers.

Many of my favorite channels and pocasts are just 'this happened and this happened and this happened and it sucks, believe victims now onto Last of Us part 2' as if we're talking about flukes of nature.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Shit, this was a tough one. You can really tell that Jim's been having a tough time recently which really isn't surprising seeing as how both of his main passions have seen such horrible shit uncovered recently. If you're reading this then, as someone's who's experienced similar levels of self-hatred before, all I can really say is that you're doing great and you should continue what you're doing.

Unfortunately I really don't see things getting better anytime soon. Gamers are more-than-willing to turn a blind eye to the more 'blatant' stuff so, like how Jim says, it's much worse when it comes to people caring about the things the gaming industry doesn't want us to know about. There's also the notion of 'fanboyism', where criticisms and allegations against people, studios, companies, etc that others have a strong attachment to are seen as the work of 'haters' more than anything. It's an incredibly insidious line of thinking that I've seen in practically every corner of the internet, but it's especially significant in gaming as we tend to attach so much emotional value to the games we play and franchises we like. Many of us don't see games as the works of flawed, sometimes horrible, people, but as parts of ourselves that we must defend at all costs. For instance it wasn't surprising that the only people defending Rueben Langdon on my Twitter feed when he began to victim blame sexual assault victims were... the people who really like Devil May Cry (I've since unfollowed them if you were wondering).

The industry itself, when it's not just ignoring things, harbours either open or more subtle hostility towards the kinds of voices that could actually see their abuses and crimes put into light. Jim mentioned the recent TLoU:P2 embargo as a good example of this; despite spoilers being one of the most petty of concerns the industry still made it so that negative voices could not adequately explain themselves (spoilers for the game) (and made it so that the game's trans and lesbian representation couldn't be criticised before launch) before the game had already launched and made a bajillion dollars. Many people actively celebrated them for that and implied that anyone critical of the decision was 'lazy' and 'couldn't write well'. So for things that are actually harmful that is only going to be amplified ten-fold, especially as the role of 'journalist' is more flimsy than ever to begin with (the vast majority of games journalists don't have J. Schreier's job security or Jim Sterling's fanbase, after all).

I don't know. It's all just incredibly depressing. I wish that I could say things might get better but I don't know if they're going to tbh. I also can't say that I'm not in some way culpable as, despite what I have said, I still do buy games from companies that I know have done shitty things. I know I shouldn't, and I know I could easily not do it, but I still do and I have to own that. Self-reflection is an incredibly difficult thing but it's something that most of us have to do at some point in our lives.

But, yeah. Great video, Jim.

Feb 24, 2018
Shit, this was a tough one. You can really tell that Jim's been having a tough time recently which really isn't surprising seeing as how both of his main passions have seen such horrible shit uncovered recently. If you're reading this then, as someone's who's experienced similar levels of self-hatred before, all I can really say is that you're doing great and you should continue what you're doing.

Unfortunately I really don't see things getting better anytime soon. Gamers are more-than-willing to turn a blind eye to the more 'blatant' stuff so, like how Jim says, it's much worse when it comes to people caring about the things the gaming industry doesn't want us to know about. There's also the notion of 'fanboyism', where criticisms and allegations against people, studios, companies, etc that others have a strong attachment to are seen as the work of 'haters' more than anything. It's an incredibly insidious line of thinking that I've seen in practically every corner of the internet, but it's especially significant in gaming as we tend to attach so much emotional value to the games we play and franchises we like. Many of us don't see games as the works of flawed, sometimes horrible, people, but as parts of ourselves that we must defend at all costs. For instance it wasn't surprising that the only people defending Rueben Langdon on my Twitter feed when he began to victim blame sexual assault victims were... the people who really like Devil May Cry (I've since unfollowed them if you were wondering).

The industry itself, when it's not just ignoring things, harbours either open or more subtle hostility towards the kinds of voices that could actually see their abuses and crimes put into light. Jim mentioned the recent TLoU:P2 embargo as a good example of this; despite spoilers being one of the most petty of concerns the industry still made it so that negative voices could not adequately explain themselves (spoilers for the game) (and made it so that the game's trans and lesbian representation couldn't be criticised before launch) before the game had already launched and made a bajillion dollars. Many people actively celebrated them for that and implied that anyone critical of the decision was 'lazy' and 'couldn't write well'. So for things that are actually harmful that is only going to be amplified ten-fold, especially as the role of 'journalist' is more flimsy than ever to begin with (the vast majority of games journalists don't have J. Schreier's job security or Jim Sterling's fanbase, after all).

I don't know. It's all just incredibly depressing. I wish that I could say things might get better but I don't know if they're going to tbh. I also can't say that I'm not in some way culpable as, despite what I have said, I still do buy games from companies that I know have done shitty things. I know I shouldn't, and I know I could easily not do it, but I still do and I have to own that. Self-reflection is an incredibly difficult thing but it's something that most of us have to do at some point in our lives.

But, yeah. Great video, Jim.
Their is also the sad fact that even when stuff like this comes to light, the outrage and backlash to it rarely lasts, Jim brought up the Blitzchung banning, massive backlash until it faded until people get annoyed and angry if you bring it up which is what the companies are hoping for, their hoping their nasty deeds get forgotten and those who speak get shutdown.

The incident that I'll always remember was back in 2012 at the Capcom's "Cross Assault" web series, Competitive Fighting game player Aris Bakhtanians decided when commentating make incredibly rude, creepy and sexual comments to about fellow player Miranda "Super_Yan" Pakozdi in ear shot and when called on it said (CW: Gross sexist crap):

"You can't. You can't because they're one and the same thing. This is a community that's, you know, 15 or 20 years old, and the sexual harassment is part of a culture, and if you remove that from the fighting game community, it's not the fighting game community—it's StarCraft. There's nothing wrong with StarCraft if you enjoy it, and there's nothing wrong with anything about eSports, but why would you want just one flavor of ice cream, you know? There's eSports for people who like eSports, and there's fighting games for people who like spicy food and like to have fun. There's no reason to turn them into the same thing, you know?"
https://kotaku.com/competitive-gamers-inflammatory-comments-spark-sexual-h-5889066
https://kotaku.com/sexual-harassment-is-a-joke-to-these-fighting-game-fans-453101345
https://kotaku.com/this-is-what-a-gamers-sexual-harassment-looks-like-5889415

And what happened? Nothing really, Aris went to continue to commentate and compete in Fighting game events like EVO (Seen him mostly at MK and Tekken ones which just ruin the experience of watching EVO) and within a week tons of fighting game players were complaining to sites like Kotaku about "It's been a week! Move on!" or act like they were being picked on, something I've seen fans of the fighting game scene and it wasn't the only time I saw fighting game fans in mass try to shut down discussion and debate of this stuff.

I remember bringing this up once on another site and got told that it didn't reflect the fighting game community because Aris doesn't represent fighting gamers... Despite the fact he does because he participates in official tournaments, he does which is sadly another aspect I've seen, if some messed happens, just pretend they don't represent gaming or the company and sweep it under the rug, pretend their are now underlying issues etc.

Nov 3, 2017
This is why we have to thank god (or a deity of your choice) for Jim Sterling. He doesn't pull any punches here. I just hope this will change at least something, anything, even if just a little tiny bit.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of his best episodes ever. It feels like a conclusion to his work, since it covers topics from his past Jimquisitions and Industry Bullshits such as loot box exploitation, sexual assault, greed-fueled layoffs, lack of unionization, the abuse of workers during crunch, the frustration that game journalists feel when their livelihoods can be pulled away for doing their job, and more. It's also a testament to how Jim has grown over the years; he was definitely an edgelord in the early 2010s (I won't go into detail, what's in the past should be in the past). Excellent stuff overall.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Best video he ever made. And he's made more great videos than most.

Heavy subject, strong, brave and great of him to do this.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible episode, when Jim goes serious, he does it really well. Having gone through a similar change in how I view the world and conduct myself, it's refreshing to see someone continue to work and improve themselves.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first time I've watched him since this one video about "rape vs murder" he did quite a long time ago. Well done.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Damn.

Also, is that why Obsidian dropped Chris like a sack of bricks?

Because it makes a ton more sense now.

Doomguy Fieri

Nov 3, 2017
Jim Sterling is simply a vital voice in game journalism, and we're lucky to have him.

Last edited:

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
Jim Sterling is simply a vital voices in game journalism, and we're lucky to have him.

100%.

I really don't understand the shit dude gets on here when time and again he speaks truth to power and uses his platform to advocate for industry unionisation, better working conditions, against shitty industry practices, and now, in support of victims of sexual assault and harassment.

Thank God for Jim.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
100%.

I really don't understand the shit dude gets on here when time and again he speaks truth to power and uses his platform to advocate for industry unionisation, better working conditions, against shitty industry practices, and now, in support of victims of sexual assault and harassment.

Thank God for Jim.
Jim makes people feel uncomfortable because they have to reconcile with the idea that their enjoyment of a consumer good often comes at the price of one or many other people's abuse & suffering. That discomfort often manifests in lashing out at Jim for being "too negative".

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic video, very powerful stuff. Thought Jim handled the subject well.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
100%.

Thank God for Jim.

Jim isn't like the other major outlets. He doesn't cozy up to publishers, goes to industry events with lots of booze, games, and a ton of swag, he calls people/publishers out constantly. He's pro-union, against crunch, and so much more positive things.

Hell, people here like to bitch about his negativity as if that somehow cancels his arguments.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Finally a Jimquisition video I won't feel awkward about sharing with others. And right on point too!

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017
Very brave of Jim to speak out about his own abuse issues and how he is dealing with them. This was a delicate subject that was handled with the appropriate amount of care and respect, unlike from several other gaming youtubers.

Thank you, Jim

data

Oct 25, 2017
That hit hard and truly hits on the rhetoric that companies aren't allies. They just follow the latest trends.

All these allegations have happened for a while and they haven't done anything until recently because the people are brave enough to come forth publicly.

Jun 2, 2019
100%.

Thank God for Jim.

Because Jim makes people uncomfortable. He charges against the status quo and takes no prisoners, he repeats his claims over and over and over and over again until something changes, because that's the only thing he csn do from his position.

People who gives him shit is people who is usually more comfortable with silence. Silence is what the industry likes the most, because once it creeps in, people forgets about the industry's misdeeds.

One of my favorite Jimquisitions speaks precisely about this.

m.youtube.com

Enjoy The Silence, Feel The Noise (The Jimquisition)

http://www.patreon.com/jimquisitionhttp://www.thejimquisition.comhttp://sharkrobot.com/collections/jimquisition-merchAs news of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate's...

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Video was damn heavy, and extremely necessary. The industry is a fucking cesspool and needs to be gutted inside out.

The Masked Mufti

The Wise Ones
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've gotten a little tired of Jim's "schtick" but that's exactly what's needed right now.
Edit: just to clarify, I mean in terms of calling out companies.

YellowBara

Oct 26, 2017
I've never been hugely into his videos but this video is incredible, if heavy as hell.

I feel like damn near everyone on this forum needs to see it.

Perturabo

Oct 27, 2017
100%.

Thank God for Jim.
Because people want to just stick their fingers in their ears and enjoy their games. Every "negative" video brings out the people who just want him to shut up.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, Jim.

Important reflections.

Feels like the world is on fire these days and but an odd silver lining is that it really helps to underline the basic, simple message that "We can be better than this."

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
His messages would be so much better served if he didn't dress like he fell into a clearance bin at Hot Topic. I can barely take it seriously.

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know Jim had so many problems himself. That explains why he created that persona that relentlessly lashes out against any wrongdoing in the first place.

All the topics he touches upon make me feel kinda powerless. What is some normal guy like me supposed to do against all this shit? Boycotting each an everything while there are still millions of people blindly buying whatever all these companies put out?