• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
if you want to play original FF7 the game has been ported to everything.

This will be a Reimagining that expands and changes the story and gameplay for modern sensibilities.

your gonna be disappointed if you expect a beat for beat remake.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
If they wanted easy money, an ambitious multipart AAA remake that changes a whole lot from the original game that will probably end up costing them well north of a 100 million dollars to produce isn't exactly the first choice that people just looking to milk a franchises fanbase are going to make. There's a whole lot of risk involved. Just updating the graphics would have been far safer and far more likely to make them profit.
You can't expect to make so much money simply by updating graphics and propose yet another Remastered, which is turn based and it will turn off many people who didn't play the original. An action Remake will attract both people who played FFVII and new players, the name alone will be enough to market the game. Also while of course there's risk involved, when you have the tools, characters model etc creating three games is not that hard, it's just a matter of doing cutscenes and new locations, not too hard honestly because there are many locations you visit different times in the game which will probably be present in all three parts of the remake. Let's say Square did this both to get a huge profit and both because, considered how poorly they handled FFXV, instead of releasing a game and "finishing" it in a couple of years they want release part 1, than part 3 and finally part 3.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually playing FF7 for the first time, and I got out of Midgar in about 7 hours. There really is not enough content, story, or characterization in there for a single game. By making the areas larger, and having more to interact with I guess you could stretch a couple more hours in there, but even then that would be a severely anemic stopping point.

Midgar in FF7 isn't a real city, it's a series of pre-rendered backgrounds.

This is the midgar they've envisioned

ru3nULH.jpg

Based on your experience with video games, does this type of area seem like somewhere you play for 5 hours and leave?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
So, to be clear, FF7 needs to be bigger and more expansive in many ways. In particular, there aren't enough NPCs wandering around and it makes Midgar in particular feel barely populated which hurts the impact of the reactors exploding. Some of the areas are too small as well instead of just not being populated enough. It needs to be a bigger RPG in the towns and dungeons, sure.

But when you're selling an RPG, people have expectations for content and if FF7R: Part 1 is only Midgar or something, then there's nowhere close to enough potential content there. Midgar in particular is 6 hours long in the original game. The original game itself is 30-40 hours long without sidequests. Each FF7R entry is supposed to be the length of FF13 and it's like... fucking how.

FF7 could have more story for Tifa and Aerith, but a lot of the other characters have their arcs finished up pretty well. Drawing 150 hours of content (pre side quests) from FF7 seems nearly impossible without covering a ton of dull story stuff that kills the pacing or putting in a ton of combat which again... would kill the story pacing. FF7 is a pretty fast paced game where each level is either advancing the main plot of Cloud-Sephiroth or doing a character arc... You can't do that for 150 hours.

This idea still makes no sense at all.

You are making a strawman argument, you don't know that the first game will only be Midgar. As far as I know this is pure player speculation.

And it might not really make sense to split the gale in terms of story, but it does in terms of production. Fans have been crying for a remake for years, Square kept saying it wasn't possible, fans continued begging. Eventually Square said : "okay, we'll do it. But to make such a huge game with current production values, we will have to split it in several parts."

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
All it needs is updated graphics/technology. That's all fans asked for. PS3 techdemo graphics with the same core gameplay. Maybe some additional content like a bonus dungeon. Everything else is pure Square-Enix bullshit who will fuck up everything like they always do.
Not sure about this, at least that is not what I am asking for. I expect a lot more than just updated visuals as newly directed cutscenes and a dynamic battle system would be appreciated. In addition to get more/better insights of scenes that were hidden or barely touched in the original.
The least thing I want to see in regards of the remake is your party lined up in a row against some enemies lined up in a row to have a battle, this is not Dragon Quest.

With just updated visuals the remake would be useless as you can play the original game while having the same experience.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
You can't expect to make so much money simply by updating graphics and propose yet another Remastered, which is turn based and it will turn off many people who didn't play the original. An action Remake will attract both people who played FFVII and new players, the name alone will be enough to market the game. Also while of course there's risk involved, when you have the tools, characters model etc creating three games is not that hard, it's just a matter of doing cutscenes and new locations, not too hard honestly because there are many locations you visit different times in the game which will probably be present in all three parts of the remake. Let's say Square did this both to get a huge profit and both because, considered how poorly they handled FFXV, instead of releasing a game and "finishing" it in a couple of years they want release part 1, than part 3 and finally part 3.
Sure, making three games all based on the same base & continuing the story will make Part 2 and a potential Part 3 slightly faster & more efficient to produce, but you're underestimating how much work that still is. There are still a whole lot of unique locations later on in the game and even some revisited ones have gone/will go through changes. If it's anywhere near the quality we've seen so far, it's still going to be massively expensive. They are going to have to have a big team and do plenty of outsourcing to get all done in a reasonable time. The remakes aren't GUARANTEED to sell a buttload of copies, so they are taking a big risk by (somewhat) committing to making a duology or trilogy of games from the offset. If the first part isn't a smash-hit, then the sales of subsequent parts could drop off a cliff and ultimately make this an unsuccessful financial venture.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Sure, making three games all based on the same base & continuing the story will make Part 2 and a potential Part 3 slightly faster & more efficient to produce, but you're underestimating how much work that still is. There are still a whole lot of unique locations later on in the game and even some revisited ones have gone/will go through changes. If it's anywhere near the quality we've seen so far, it's still going to be massively expensive. They are going to have to have a big team and do plenty of outsourcing to get all done in a reasonable time. The remakes aren't GUARANTEED to sell a buttload of copies, so they are taking a big risk by (somewhat) committing to making a duology or trilogy of games from the offset. If the first part isn't a smash-hit, then the sales of subsequent parts could drop off a cliff and ultimately make this an unsuccessful financial venture.
Isn't what we saw so far not a thing anymore, since Square changed development team? From the new team we saw nothing, I think they also changed Cloud's model and we still need to see the new one.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I really dislike this episodic idea. I'd rather wait 15 years for the complete game than seeing it split up in pieces on several platforms with the risk of not receiving all the pieces if something goes wrong.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure about this, at least that is not what I am asking for. I expect a lot more than just updated visuals as newly directed cutscenes and a dynamic battle system would be appreciated. In addition to get more/better insights of scenes that were hidden or barely touched in the original.
The least thing I want to see in regards of the remake is your party lined up in a row against some enemies lined up in a row to have a battle, this is not Dragon Quest.

With just updated visuals the remake would be useless as you can play the original game while having the same experience.
That's actually what Final Fantasy 7 is: A classic JRPG. Just like Dragon Quest. The battle system with it's ATB is different enough though.
If you guys want something new why even bother with a remake? Just make Final Fantasy 16 instead. And no, playing the original isn't the same experience. It's an ancient game now and didn't age great in many ways. An updated version with modern technology is something this game deserves and many fans want.
That said, FF7R already is a trainwreck. It was anounced almost 4 years ago and we got nothing since then. It's deep in development hell just like everything AAA Square-Enix touched in the last decade. It's beyond fucked and I have zero confidence in the project.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't what we saw so far not a thing anymore, since Square changed development team? From the new team we saw nothing, I think they also changed Cloud's model and we still need to see the new one.
That's why I said "if it's anywhere near". The footage we've seen was early so purely based on that it would be subject to change. Then there's the stuff with CC2 and bringing the project back in-house.

Whatever the case, they aren't exactly going for a mid-budget Nier Automata level visual quality with the game, so it'll still be a time-consuming, expensive effort to bring to fruition, no matter if it quite reaches the quality they showed the first time around or not. It's a high budget project.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much work they had to scrap when development was moves from Cyberconnect to in-house. They might have lost multiple years of progress.

I still think part 1 is Midgar only OR maybe also Kalm, so game would end with the long flashback.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Will be no surprise if they're using internet suggestions since 2015 to make the best case lol

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
That's actually what Final Fantasy 7 is: A classic JRPG. Just like Dragon Quest. The battle system with it's ATB is different enough though.
If you guys want something new why even bother with a remake? Just make Final Fantasy 16 instead. And no, playing the original isn't the same experience. It's an ancient game now and didn't age great in many ways. An updated version with modern technology is something this game deserves and many fans want.
That said, FF7R already is a trainwreck. It was anounced almost 4 years ago and we got nothing since then. It's deep in development hell just like everything AAA Square-Enix touched in the last decade. It's beyond fucked and I have zero confidence in the project.
Because that's what remakes generally mean. It's not just improved visuals. When movie studios make a remake, they don't do a shot-for-shot remake of the old movie except with new actors and better VFX. They try to find a new approach to it and completely rewrite the story & film it completely differently (MAYBE pay some homage to some iconic scene/shot). Oftentimes they even play around with genres (horror movies become family friendlier action adventure romps, more lighthearted fantastical movies become more cynical/grounded/visceral etc.).

More importantly, THIS IS THE WAY THE CREATORS WANT TO DO IT. They don't just want to do a prettier version. They opted for this kind of more ambitious remake.

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017
Totally disagree here, why refer to FF16 when talking about the remake and having the chance to create something new based on the fantastic world/lore/story and characters FF7 has to offer. I would be totally uninterested if this remake would just be visually updated.

It is not for me to judge if the game is in development hell, all we know is that the project switched to be developed in house. If this is your definition of a trainwreck, fine, thats up you.

And even if they need way more time for development in regards of the remake, I am fine with it as it is not like there is nothing else to play these days even if you are only into RPGs.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, another Nomura trainwreck. I still remember his quote when he said that he is surprised that he is the lead director of the game. I mean fucking lolwtf?!
That was before the game had even entered (pre-)production. It's a funny anecdote from the early days of talks about the game. But I guess you're too much of a negative nancy & take everything in the worst light possible.

And Nomura has been involved with many of the better-regarded games of SQEX in the last 10+ years. Versus XIII is the only bigger blemish in his track record and a huge part of that was none of his fault, but larger issues SQEX was going through during the PS3 generation.

So sales = quality of a game now or what?
It's also a critically acclaimed game.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why you people keep getting your panties in a bunch for this being divided in parts. No, the first part likely isn't going to end at the escape from Midgar. The original FFVII is also a very different game from the remake from a game design POV. Yes, the remake won't be the full story, but each part will be more like the scale of an individual game than be released in, like, 5 hour episodic parts. You have to understand the context at which those comments were made in. It was revealed & translated that FFVII Remake would be "episodic", people in the Interwebz went batshit insane and the devs corrected them that each release/part would be MORE LIKE a full-fledged game than some short episode that only covers 1/10th of the overall narrative or something, because a bad translation of their comments made in Japanese were misinterpreted.

The game being cut into parts was also announced 1,5 or even nearly 2 years into the production of the game (depending on how early in 2014 pre-production began). It wasn't some rush decision made in the first few months of production. They already had a fairly good idea of what they were keeping from the original game, what was going to be changed/cut, how the parts were planned to be divided etc.

They've also re-confirmed the plans to keep it as a multipart project as late as Q2 2018, which has been repeated in this thread several times as well, so I don't really get why you people keep working yourself up to believe in something that is not going to happen. This is not going to be a single game/release.
Because I feel it exemplifies SE's indecisiveness with the game (or maybe, as Duckroll implies, lightening thr load on Nomura).

But whatever, it's not like I'm buying the game anyway

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm a bit different, but I have no desire to see Midgar expanded. I'd rather have a HD remake that is as close to 1:1 with some QoL improvements than a different or reimagined version. If they are going to deviate from the original as much as some assume, them call it something else.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To make the game episodic was a business strategy they had a few years ago. Things could change.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how much work they had to scrap when development was moves from Cyberconnect to in-house. They might have lost multiple years of progress.

I still think part 1 is Midgar only OR maybe also Kalm, so game would end with the long flashback.
the only rumor we have is this, by Dan Tsukasa that seems to work in the japanese game industry and had info on FF7 and posted this on reddit in 2018 i believe.
"When has a company taking work away from another company ever been a positive sign of things? I know CyberConnect's work was unusable, I've worked with them before, i know their level.
And I know they outsourced to hell and back in order to get things to the point we saw them publicly, and it still wasn't enough to save them."
"I'm not speculating though. I've worked with these people and know people working still at both Square and CC2, I'm explaining what happened from what I know."
"They don't have 4 years of work, they have 2. The announcement that square was taking the game away from CyberConnect2, they didn't take it away and continue it, they started it again because cyber connects work was just so useless and not far enough along, but still far enough along that remaking it was faster than refactoring it… (it wasn't in a good state at all)"
"Nomura is barely ever there, he's director largely in name alone. He spends the vast majority if his time in Osaka on KH3 (Kingdom Hearts 3), as thats where he lives, during the week at least."
"Yup, its the game industry in Tokyo, Square's so large its rare to meet someone who doesn't know anyone there.
I'm unsure how to prove it though, I can't get into any issues by saying what I've heard, or what's common knowledge in the industry here (the common knowledge being that the project was taken from CC2 because it was so behind schedule), but if I were to name anyone working there, they'd get into trouble for sharing information, the same way I'd get into trouble if I shared information about where I work.
So with that said, I can only prove I work in the game industry in Japan, can't prove who I do and don't know."

Nov 23, 2017
This isn't a 1 to 1 remake of the original game. They are taking the concept and changing it to fit a modern scale set of games. Wouldn't it have been great to just get a graphically updated game and that's it? Sure, I would have accepted that. However, I'm also really excited for this new vision. There are lots of question marks about their approach but I'm so into the idea of expanding on this. My true worry really is them adding the dumb Compilation of FF VII stuff in. Unfortunately, that's already been somewhat confirmed due to South Edge train being in the first trailer. Unless they're just using the location to expand the original game on.

Anyway, I'm pretty excited for this. The people that are skeptical have every right to be but at the same time, the people that are hopeful, like myself, also deserve some space here.

Deleted member 2317

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
This game really feel its the new Half-Life of this gen. But at least we saw something about it. And we can say for both franchise a trilogy doesnt make sense .

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
square actually didnt really well-versed at making open world rpg(assuming that how the remake will be),and they still learning.
If this is rockstar,monolithsoft,might be different story,they might be able to cram everything into one game

but still then,imagined the game running with first xenoblade chronicles quality of visual and content, the massive volume of content to expect there which is take the first xenoblade 4 years of development..not to mention both game had similliar linear progress structure..knowing square and fans demand,they surely want the game to be visually impressed..even red dead redemption took 8 years..those guys at rockstar is someone who know well how to develop open world game...unless they had massive staff like ubisoft,they could finish it in shorter time

for square, unlike those other studio,i dont believe they already capable to pulling the remake in short time..so i rather let them 'take their time' rather having them rushing, compromising stuff..linear ffxiii too 5 years and even ffxv took around 4 years with no insomnia city to explore(xiii doesnt even had a town lol) compare to the remake that having city of midgar..they even said that by incorporate that area take massive time and resource so they drop it and put it in the kingsglaive movie..so having they split the part im hoping they learning and improving each part without compromising the content that fans deserved to get,unlike what we get with ffxv and xiii

the problem here might be how they handle the part..how to split,how to start and end each part,which part need to separate etc...maybe they want to pull something like ffxiv,where other part is like adding expansion...continue and adding storyline,adding continent,more traversal option as player progressing the story and area..
As long they done it right, each part didnt feel 'incomplete' then is should be fine

Also, ever since Life is Strange coming out, people really had different understanding of 'episiodic' format for this remake had..in first place, that kind of episode style wont work for rpg...a multi-part/trilogy is make more sense here as few members here repeatedly explaining over and over again

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
square actually didnt really well-versed at making open world rpg(assuming that how the remake will be),and they still learning
if this is rockstar,monolithsoft,might be different story,they might be able to cram everything into one game

Nomura said it won't be open world. I'd guess there will be zones between area's.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I will hop on the band wagon the second I see something outside of Midgar. I know Squeenix can do Midgar. Now show me you can do Kalm, Cosmo Canyon, Gongaga, and Nibelheim while keeping the ambience of the originals and I'll be there.

EDIT: I however will flip when I get to an HD Rocket Town if it ever happens.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
Nomura said it won't be open world. I'd guess there will be zones between area's.

then im guessing it be more like FF12 or first xenoblade chronicles which is some people here said not actual open world but game with big area..still i dont believe square could pull it everything in 4 years without compromising stuff...even xv compromising content by turn second part of the game into linear train section with unexplored city/town

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
then im guessing it be more like FF12 or first xenoblade chronicles which is some people here said not actual open world but game with big area..still i dont believe square could pull it everything in 4 years without compromising stuff...even xv compromising content by turn second part of the game into linear train section with few unexplored city/town

I mean it'd be Crisis Core on steroids and I'd be perfectly fine with that (please no Gackt).

Crisis Core did a pretty good job even on the PSP of allowing for the scale of the areas to be vast while confining the character to limited spaces. The battle through Shinra HQ to the old battle remix still brings back fond memories.

Jun 22, 2018
The thing about games like FF7 is that they didn't have much in the way of actual side quests. Not like most modern RPGs, at least, where for every 1 main story quest there are 7-10 side quests you can do.

If they add a ton of NPCs that give you a ton of side quests, they could easily stretch the FF7 story out into 3 full games. It wouldn't really feel like filler or just padding the game any more than most RPGs that have lots of side quests.

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
I mean it'd be Crisis Core on steroids and I'd be perfectly fine with that (please no Gackt).

Crisis Core did a pretty good job even on the PSP of allowing for the scale of the areas to be vast while confining the character to limited spaces. The battle through Shinra HQ to the old battle remix still brings back fond memories.

how long crisis core being developed? the game had 15 hours of storyline with psp quality of visual..just curious

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I can't imagine they will go through with it. When The Witcher 3 is made by a smaller company, and dwarfs these old RPG's in size, I can't see people being ok with FF7 length content being chopped into three parts.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
I can't imagine they will go through with it. When The Witcher 3 is made by a smaller company, and dwarfs these old RPG's in size, I can't see people being ok with FF7 length content being chopped into three parts.
exactly a remke of FF7 can be done generously, but i feel modern SE is lost when it comes to a grand scale game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I would be ok with Part 1, First continent, Midgar and Junor. Part 2 Western Continent and North Continent, Golden Saucer and small towns. Part 3 Wutai Continent, Huge Materia Quest, Assasult on Midgar; Final level. I don't think that would ruin the pacing with each continent being fleshed out instead of just being old school, Chibi Cloud on a rotatable map, and some towns like Kalm feeling more than one street.

Potential names

Part 1 Cries of the Planet
Part 2 The Promised Land
Part 3 The Calamity from the Skies

Kumomeme

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Malaysia
The thing about games like FF7 is that they didn't have much in the way of actual side quests. Not like most modern RPGs, at least, where for every 1 main story quest there are 7-10 side quests you can do.

If they add a ton of NPCs that give you a ton of side quests, they could easily stretch the FF7 story out into 3 full games. It wouldn't really feel like filler or just padding the game any more than most RPGs that have lots of side quests.
wall market area could had ton of quest
No idea! I'd still be okay-ish with a Crisis Core on Steroids approach to FF7 since they're clearly never going to go back to world maps and Turn based combat (which I'd prefer haha)

i agree...it good balance on its action aspect

Deleted member 721

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"Kicinski also revealed that The Witcher 3 was developed over the course of 3.5 years by a team of professionals that "know how to develop games efficiently." A total of 240 in-house staff worked on The Witcher 3 (most were Polish, but a "considerable" number were foreigners), while 1,500 people in all around the world were involved in the game's production.

In addition, Kicinski points out that The Witcher 3 was localized in 15 different language versions, seven of which had full voice acting. A total of 500 voice actors worked on the game across its various versions."
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-is-how-much-the-witcher-3-cost-to-make/1100-6430409/

Final Fantasy XV:

"The development team is around 200 to 300 staff. Although being billed as a triple-A game, Tabata doesn't want 1000-plus people working on the title like western teams, as he'd rather have a comparatively small team with people who can make the most of their individual potential."
https://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-development-open-world-combat-demo

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
"Kicinski also revealed that The Witcher 3 was developed over the course of 3.5 years by a team of professionals that "know how to develop games efficiently." A total of 240 in-house staff worked on The Witcher 3 (most were Polish, but a "considerable" number were foreigners), while 1,500 people in all around the world were involved in the game's production.

In addition, Kicinski points out that The Witcher 3 was localized in 15 different language versions, seven of which had full voice acting. A total of 500 voice actors worked on the game across its various versions."
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/this-is-how-much-the-witcher-3-cost-to-make/1100-6430409/

Final Fantasy XV:

"The development team is around 200 to 300 staff. Although being billed as a triple-A game, Tabata doesn't want 1000-plus people working on the title like western teams, as he'd rather have a comparatively small team with people who can make the most of their individual potential."
https://gematsu.com/2014/09/final-fantasy-xv-director-talks-development-open-world-combat-demo
Geez I didn't know that. Crazy how good the Witcher team is at making games. Wow.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I mean, I expected them to make everything a lot bigger to suit what will be a kind of massive scale. FF7 being rendered in full 3D seems insane to me, like making a game out of CG visuals. I guess it's hard to say what will happen, but I can definitely understand why it's taking so long and needs to be broken up, i'm just not confident they will do it right.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
So, to be clear, FF7 needs to be bigger and more expansive in many ways. In particular, there aren't enough NPCs wandering around and it makes Midgar in particular feel barely populated which hurts the impact of the reactors exploding. Some of the areas are too small as well instead of just not being populated enough. It needs to be a bigger RPG in the towns and dungeons, sure.

I actually would dispute this. Sure, a few more NPCs would be nice, but part of the strength of FFVII is in its tight pacing, at least during the Midgar part at the beginning, and in a few other areas. I think adding more room to wander around just to make the city feel more like a city, and letting players wander around parts of the city that aren't important to the story, just slows things down and takes away from the story's tempo... especially if they start throwing in meaningless side quests.

I hope they don't do any of that and keep the game tightly structured in the places it needs to be.