• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
I found that when I have trains running in the same direction on a loop, they start catching each other up, and bunch together, despite all having the default time options set.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I've plugged like twenty hours into the game in a week and have started dreaming about it. So much opens up in the second map, it's incredible. I love watching all my buses ferry people around, hate that they get stuck and I have to hop in and rejigger it. Subsidiaries are also really fun to play with: I put an arcade and game store right next to a school and my advisor screamed with joy at how much moolah we'd make.

All the menus terrify me though. I just... avoid them.

Beat the first tutorial after about a year and a half. I expanded the railway far more than it told me to, but I was incredibly hampered in what I could do due to it not unlocking all options. Made train admin a bit of a pain. Will start the second one at the weekend.

Also, I encountered a bug where the entire world just went white. All the menu's were still there but I had to reload.

I've had that glitch too but it went all blue. Kinda like I fell through the map.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I found that when I have trains running in the same direction on a loop, they start catching each other up, and bunch together, despite all having the default time options set.

Maybe the distance between some stations mean when it's time to stop, they all stop behind eachother as it's the nearest station?

Like when it's Midnight, Train A is just pulling into Station A, so stops there.

Meanwhile, when Midnight hits, Train B has already departed Station B and is on the track to the next Station to stop there for the night...which is Station A...but since Station A is occupied by Train A, Train B just sits behind them.

A way around that is to probably build a Depot and make each train drive to that Depot at the end of the Night and depart in the morning in intervals.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the distance between some stations mean when it's time to stop, they all stop behind eachother as it's the nearest station?

Like when it's Midnight, Train A is just pulling into Station A, so stops there.

Meanwhile, when Midnight hits, Train B has already departed Station B and is on the track to the next Station to stop there for the night...which is Station A...but since Station A is occupied by Train A, Train B just sits behind them.

A way around that is to probably build a Depot and make each train drive to that Depot at the end of the Night and depart in the morning in intervals.

That's probably it yeah. Hopefully an issue I'll only face on the first tutorial due to the limited options.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I think I got hit with the old save bug where it doesn't load... which is bizarre because it worked fine this morning. The loading bar never finishes. Even weirder, some other saves work fine, it's just that one that never finishes loading.

Hopefully there's another patch soon. I really don't want to have to start that map over.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Tried the demo, really liked what I saw. Couldn't complete it though, got the tourist but not the population.

The game crashed once, and after I tried different colours for a new train, a warning message kept popping up. But overall, the game run well.

Added to my wishlist, 60USD in this time is quite a bit for my budget O.O

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Tried the demo, really liked what I saw. Couldn't complete it though, got the tourist but not the population.

The game crashed once, and after I tried different colours for a new train, a warning message kept popping up. But overall, the game run well.

Added to my wishlist, 60USD in this time is quite a bit for my budget O.O
How are you all crashing? I felt like I am the only person who's budgeting the 24 billion yens like crazy...

And yeah, you can set up arcade shops and entertainment centers, and create subsidiaries? 60 USD is worth it.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
I can't remember, how it crashed. I think I was fast-forwarding as I had little to do. Maybe it had to do with this message thing I kept having.

I was having almost no trouble to manage the budget, on a second run btw, the first one was a mess. But at the end, I wanted to get the population goal within a year so I started to spend a lot more. And then the demo was over :(

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
New patch is out now (v1.03) that supposedly fixes, amongst other things, saves not being read.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Compared to the 3DS release, did they make the simulation even deeper or is this basically a more beautiful and responsive version of A-Train 3D with tourism added to it? (And I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm in awe at what they did with the Switch version, although I only experienced it second hand via video.)
The hype for this game (my personal hype that is) got me back into A-Train 3D. It's a marvelous piece of software.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Compared to the 3DS release, did they make the simulation even deeper or is this basically a more beautiful and responsive version of A-Train 3D with tourism added to it? (And I don't mean that in a negative way. I'm in awe at what they did with the Switch version, although I only experienced it second hand via video.)
The hype for this game (my personal hype that is) got me back into A-Train 3D. It's a marvelous piece of software.
It was mentioned in a different place (/r/tycoon) that the Switch release is less complex than A-Train 9 on the Steam PC, but it's more complex than the A-Train Classic.

As for the 3DS release vs. Switch release, not sure. I didn't see any complexity comparisons out there.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Need to try and see if that patch fixed my saves reading properly.

I started a new scenario to keep playing and, while I have my issues with the game not giving you enough information in some respects, I do really appreciate how sandbox it can get in others. I think the new map wants me to connect all the various cities and tourist attraction onto a loop or bus system, but instead I made a massive train terminal in the center of a map and ferry people from there to everywhere else. It's insane seeing thousands of tourists popping into and out of it every minute or so (in 5x game speed).

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Quoting the whole changelogs from Twitter:

It looks like there are some instructions about the new patch.

1. The cause of the save data issue is related to the expansion facility. Since the expansion facility of the subsidiary had incorrect data, they have made some changes so the data can be read.
2. Something about the "materials photo" couldn't be read due to incorrect data.
3. Fixed a bug that freezes when taking a photo. The fix is applied to prevent invalid data from being generated in the save data's "updating process" that occurs when taking a photo.
4. Some improvements were made when you're developing new "vehicles". The modifications to your vehicle will be retained even if you leave the menu. You have finer controls when adjusting where to put the stickers by using the L-stick. By holding down the ZL button, you can use the D-pad finely adjust the positions of the stickers.
5. They will continue to support the software and fix other issues that arise in the future.
6. If in the case where the subsidiary's expansion facility building contains incorrect data, the building that can be repaired (remodeled?) will have the correct data applied. Otherwise, if the building cannot be repaired (remodeled?), it will be reverted back into a vacant lot, so you will need to rebuild the building. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Still on the second tutorial and I'm quickly finding out bus management needs to be a bigger focal point of my attention. I have some badly configured routes where a traffic jam happens and the busses can't leave the stop. Causes a huge pile-up and I have to manually remove the offending busses to fix that. Not sure if it's a road entry/exit issue or what.

I'm guessing it's having busses enter it from both sides of the street though, that seems to cause the biggest issue :\

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Yay, my physical copy is being shipped!

I just realized, we would have to re-read the previous A-Train changelogs, because they may contain useful information for all of us.

These are the Patch 1.0.2 changelogs and notes:

1. Previously in the Patch 1.0.2, there is a workaround to recover your save data if you aren't able to load them up.
2. The workaround is, 1) Do not use the additional subsidiary facilities in the scenarios, "City of Dreams and Hope", and "Reborn Summer Resort Resort". These additional facilities from the beginning of the scenarios are likely to cause the save corruption issue. 2) Save immediately after the scenario starts, load the save data and then continue to play.

Patch 1.0.1 is the Day 1 patch which only includes bugfixes to the gameplay.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Playing the demo and I'm really struggling to get freight to work.

I built a dedicated line between three stations with depots in range and placed a train on the line. When I go into the operating schedule, it prompts me to press Y to enable freight at each stop, which I do, but as soon as I leave that screen, it seems to lose the setting. Like, if I go back in it's disabled, and only the depots near the factory have any freight. The others have nothing and the stations show no freight having been handled, so I am sure the settings in the train schedule are just not sticking.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Playing the demo and I'm really struggling to get freight to work.

I built a dedicated line between three stations with depots in range and placed a train on the line. When I go into the operating schedule, it prompts me to press Y to enable freight at each stop, which I do, but as soon as I leave that screen, it seems to lose the setting. Like, if I go back in it's disabled, and only the depots near the factory have any freight. The others have nothing and the stations show no freight having been handled, so I am sure the settings in the train schedule are just not sticking.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Found a good Japanese stream that showcases how to put down freight stations properly here, all timestamped. The important segment of the episode starts from 22:00 and ends at 25:00.

1. First thing is to select an electric train (the green train in the second menu item in the Trains menu).
  2. When you select the electric train, the game gives you the option to choose how many train cars that can transport materials or passengers. You will want either materials-exclusive train cars, or a mix of passengers and materials train cars.
  3. Once you do this, purchase the new train and place them down on the rails of your choice. It would be preferable if you have a dedicated freight/commuter rail that doesn't impede the normal standard passengers-only trains (orange trains).
  4. In the Stations menu, you should be able to toggle "Progress Freights" where your electric train will stop at. These stations will then have an additional menu where you can set it to allow pickup materials, or drop materials off. (Blue means pickup, red meaning drop-off.) This might be what you are having issues with.
  5. Once you are done with the trains, the next step is to pay attention to the prompt in the lower left corner of your main display. You will see that sometimes, building construction will commence near where one of your stations are.
  6. You get to view the range of your stations, to determine where you should put your depots at. There are layered green rings that gradually turn red the further away you are from the station. Maybe the depots are too far away from the stations that has pickup and drop-off configured? Or it might be misconfigured?

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Found a good Japanese stream that showcases how to put down freight stations properly here, all timestamped. The important segment of the episode starts from 22:00 and ends at 25:00.

1. First thing is to select an electric train (the green train in the second menu item in the Trains menu).
  2. When you select the electric train, the game gives you the option to choose how many train cars that can transport materials or passengers. You will want either materials-exclusive train cars, or a mix of passengers and materials train cars.
  3. Once you do this, purchase the new train and place them down on the rails of your choice. It would be preferable if you have a dedicated freight/commuter rail that doesn't impede the normal standard passengers-only trains (orange trains).
  4. In the Stations menu, you should be able to toggle "Progress Freights" where your electric train will stop at. These stations will then have an additional menu where you can set it to allow pickup materials, or drop materials off. (Blue means pickup, red meaning drop-off.) This might be what you are having issues with.
  5. Once you are done with the trains, the next step is to pay attention to the prompt in the lower left corner of your main display. You will see that sometimes, building construction will commence near where one of your stations are.
  6. You get to view the range of your stations, to determine where you should put your depots at. There are layered green rings that gradually turn red the further away you are from the station. Maybe the depots are too far away from the stations that has pickup and drop-off configured? Or it might be misconfigured?

Thank you so much! I will watch the video later on and give this a try. I think what I am doing wrong is probably that I wasn't using electric trains. Does it tell you this anywhere?

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Thank you so much! I will watch the video later on and give this a try. I think what I am doing wrong is probably that I wasn't using electric trains. Does it tell you this anywhere?
I think it's the part where you are to purchase a new train in the demo. Even I don't recall being forced to purchase an electric train nor gotten any hints of needing to do so.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the part where you are to purchase a new train in the demo. Even I don't recall being forced to purchase an electric train nor gotten any hints of needing to do so.
Hmm, I don't remember that. Anyway, I added an electric train and now there are options for freight. I also figured out something else that was throwing me off and took me ages to join the dots. The Y to 'progress freight' means that any stops you select with Y, when you go into the freight settings, it will change them all at once. It's like a 'select all'. Really badly worded.

Thanks for your help. Starting to get somewhere now.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Hmm, I don't remember that. Anyway, I added an electric train and now there are options for freight. I also figured out something else that was throwing me off and took me ages to join the dots. The Y to 'progress freight' means that any stops you select with Y, when you go into the freight settings, it will change them all at once. It's like a 'select all'. Really badly worded.

Thanks for your help. Starting to get somewhere now.
Yeah, I agree. It should've been "Enable Freight" instead of "Progress Freight", so when you view the "Freight Settings", all stations with freight enabled will have the freight settings be applied to them. I think it's the word 進行 that's throwing the translation off.
Oh so THAT'S what's it is. Now it make sense why after I did that. Any change I made (either freight or how the train interact when arrive at the station) to one station apply to all of them I selected earlier. I can see it being a useful feature. But it really should've word better (and also actually explained it in the manual)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so THAT'S what's it is. Now it make sense why after I did that. Any change I made (either freight or how the train interact when arrive at the station) to one station apply to all of them I selected earlier. I can see it being a useful feature. But it really should've word better (and also actually explained it in the manual)
There's a manual?

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
Goddamn it, that explains why I know nothing. Where is it? I actively looked.
It's activated by pressing + at any point in the game. The secretary did point this out in her last tutorial conversation (aka the last one you can read right away before having to wait until a certain day in-game for a new conversation to pop up) so if you skimmed past it you might not know that.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
It's activated by pressing + at any point in the game. The secretary did point this out in her last tutorial conversation (aka the last one you can read right away before having to wait until a certain day in-game for a new conversation to pop up) so if you skimmed past it you might not know that.
I tried every button, but...
Press the + button during gameplay. You'll need to progress through all the way to the end of the first tutorial to unlock the Help manual.
...aah. I'm still on the first tutorial, so that must be it.

Thanks both. I have to question the thinking behind locking the manual away until they've already reached a certain point in teaching you the game, lol.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
How's the text in handheld mode?
95% of the text are large enough to read easily. 5% of the text are squished due to the size limitations of where the text is placed (for example, the "Goverment" is squished in the menu item framebox, which can fit up to 6 squares / kanji characters.)

I play handheld exclusively in bed.

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
95% of the text are large enough to read easily. 5% of the text are squished due to the size limitations of where the text is placed (for example, the "Goverment" is squished in the menu item framebox, which can fit up to 6 squares / kanji characters.)

I play handheld exclusively in bed.

I'll pick it up on Friday, thanks for checking.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so I got to the point where the manual has unlocked, lol.

Now the question I have is, when you get trains deadlocked, is there any way to get one to reverse or something to clear the way? The only solution I have found is to withdraw one and replace it, which incurs a cost.

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
How's the text in handheld mode?
I don't know about normal Switch, but it might be a bit too small for Lite users though. so your mileage may vary.

Okay, so I got to the point where the manual has unlocked, lol.

Now the question I have is, when you get trains deadlocked, is there any way to get one to reverse or something to clear the way? The only solution I have found is to withdraw one and replace it, which incurs a cost.
You can switch the train route on the fly (assuming doing that won't clash with other train on the rail, or you only have two trains) but in practice this only works if a train get stuck at the station (I don't think you can reverse the train that way) so the only other solution is to withdraw it yeah.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
When you turn on shadows, this game has NVIDIA raytracing... This is something I didn't know about until walking up to the shrine's stairs during the daytime.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I think I'm finally out. I was really enjoying the demo between moments of fighting the interface, but last night I got so frustrated trying to do what should have been the simplest thing in the world that I ragequit and deleted it.

I won't get into what, because you fine folks have been very helpful and I know you will try to help again.

I genuinely think this is the worst interface I have used for a very long time. Such a shame, because there's a great game behind it.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Just a heads-up: A-Train 3D for the Nintendo 3DS is currently on sale on the eshop. It's a superb iteration of the A-Train formula and absolutely worth it, if you can't afford the switch version right now.

TUFCfan

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to expand or increase production of things like Fishing Harbours? Can't see a way of building another and 10 fish shipments a day is quickly used up in the current scenario I'm on.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I still want to get to this! It just turns out that Monster Hunter, which I assumed I would save for later because I'm not all that familiar with the franchise, got its hooks into me for a bit.