• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Currenlty sitting at 77 on OpenCritic: https://opencritic.com/game/9586/a-total-war-saga-troy

Anyone looking forward to this? It's free tomorrow on the Epic Store, so I'll check it out. Everyone seems to agree that it looks very good, stylish, but there are issues with the economy balance and AI, combat AI and unit variety. Which is a pretty common thing on Total War games, especially at launch, but still.

PC Gamer said:
This Total War experiment, then, is more of a success than Thrones of Britannia, and I pray the tactical shake-up won't be forgotten when cavalry inevitably reappears with the next game. But now that I'm done with this review, I'm already planning to head back to Warhammer 2 and Three Kingdoms instead of starting another Aegean war. Sorry, Troy.

www.pcgamer.com

A Total War Saga: Troy review

The game that launched a thousand ships.

Strategy Gamer said:
t's certainly a better game than Thrones of Britannia was, and far more successful if you view it through the lens of the Total War Saga mission statement - to represent flashpoint conflicts throughout history. Everything about Troy's setting feels focused towards Ancient Greece, from the gorgeous visual aesthetic, to the papyrus fog of war which burns away as you uncover the map. But it's slightly less successful in other regards.

3/5
www.strategygamer.com

Best strategy games on PC 2023

It's time to conquer the world in the best strategy games on the PC, from deep turn-based strategy and massive 4X games, to fast-paced real-time games.

Liked this review as well, super interesting:

wccftech said:
Total War Saga: Troy is a complete Total War title. Not only that, but it's also in great shape at launch, continuing the recent trend set by Creative Assembly after the issues found with Rome II. While it may not be the most expansive in terms of factions, it more than makes up for it by each of these factions feeling unique, having unique gameplay mechanics and also making the shared mechanics varying enough that no game will ever feel the same.

wccftech.com

Total War Saga: Troy Review - Immortality! Take it! It's yours!

Take to the battlefields of the Trojan War as Achilles, Hector and others in Total War Saga: Troy. Is this another epic from Creative Assembly?

I'm guessing free means at least fans of the franchise will check it out no matter what :)

A lot of reviewers are saying this is a good entry point too for people curious about total war that haven't tried it, or found a maint title a bit too difficult to get into. Though I think Warhammer brought in a lot of people to the franchise already.

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I'll get it for free.

THREE KINGDOMS and the Warhammer ones were fantastic

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It's free, I'll get it no matter the reviews lol

Seems like the issues are luckily easily fixable with a couple of patches, so good!

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
I look forward to picking it up in a year on Steam after they've tightened it up a bit more, I'm sure the post launch support will be solid and help cover people's issues with it like the last few.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not particularly interested in playing it but I'm glad it seems generally well received. Hopefully like ToB before it they can find the new stuff that works best and integrate it into TWW/3K or future games in some way.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
I'm glad the foundation seems solid, I've really been looking forward to this. I can pick it up for free on Epic, then link it to Total War Access for free Amazons DLC, put it down for a while, and hopefully carry it all over to Steam for free (via Access) and purchase any other DLC there next year.

Edit: It shows how far expectations have come since Shogun 2. Troy seems to have a surprising amount of unit variety and faction mechanics, and it makes me think that a Shogun 3 will need a lot more narrative/stepping stones for each clan.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Would getting it for free on Epic give you a copy on Steam?
I can't be bothered to sign up for Epic for this if it isn't that great
No, but it's the exact same game and it saves you €40 or whatever this is going to cost. And signing up (if you don't have an account yet, which would be dumb because you could've gotten tens, if not hundreds of free indie and AAA-games over the years) takes seconds, literally. If you don't want to manually sign up, just click the Facebook, Google or one of the console buttons and it'll take care of most of the process automatically.

edit: And apparently, as Kainazzo is saying above, you might actually get a free Steam copy out of this via Total War Access.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Solid reviews, but nothing outstanding. Can't really complain as I'll be getting it for free. I'm definitely looking forward to the period at the very least.

Kainazzo

Dec 13, 2017
Would getting it for free on Epic give you a copy on Steam?
I can't be bothered to sign up for Epic for this if it isn't that great

Yes, that is currently planned. If you purchase it on Epic, you can then create a Total War Access account and link it to Epic. Next year, you can then link it again to Steam and play it there for free and forget about Epic.

However, the community manager said that was only the plan. I'm hoping it happens, but we'll need to wait and see.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone seems to agree that it looks very good, stylish, but there are issues with the economy balance and AI, combat AI and unit variety. Which is a pretty common thing on Total War games, especially at launch, but still.

No worries though because modders will have that all sorted out in short order. God can you imagine these games without modding community?

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
The score is about what I expect. Really excited about the new resource system and I'm looking forward to seeing CA expand the system even further in the next full-fledged Total War games.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
No, but it's the exact same game and it saves you €40 or whatever this is going to cost. And signing up (if you don't have an account yet, which would be dumb because you could've gotten tens, if not hundreds of free indie and AAA-games over the years) takes seconds, literally. If you don't want to manually sign up, just click the Facebook, Google or one of the console buttons and it'll take care of most of the process automatically.

edit: And apparently, as Kainazzo is saying above, you might actually get a free Steam copy out of this via Total War Access.

I probably already own the majority of them. Signing up to a new ecosystem for one game is more effort than it is worth to me. That obviously doesn't apply to others, so no need to swing in with calling people dumb for not being bothered.

Yes, that is currently planned. If you purchase it on Epic, you can then create a Total War Access account and link it to Epic. Next year, you can then link it again to Steam and play it there for free and forget about Epic.

However, the community manager said that was only the plan. I'm hoping it happens, but we'll need to wait and see.

Ah that's pretty neat. I really liked when GoG did that. Hopefully it does pan out that way

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty expected scores. The Saga titles haven't been top tier like the mainline games. Interested in trying it out though. I'll always be there for more Total War.

Pey

Nov 27, 2017
Argentina
PCMR LATAM (8/10) (Spanish) - http://www.pcmrace.com/2020/08/12/a-total-war-saga-troy-review/

"At the end of the day, A Total War Saga: Troy is an entertaining snack while we wait for the next core installment of the franchise. With this said, the game represents an important advance over the first installment of the series, Thornes of Britannia, which lacked its own personality. It is worth remembering that Creative Assembly abandoned that game almost completely, while this new installment in the Trojan War is presented as an interesting platform to be expanded with future DLCs and updates."

Gameplay video in the rev, and below:

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I probably already own the majority of them. Signing up to a new ecosystem for one game is more effort than it is worth to me. That obviously doesn't apply to others, so no need to swing in with calling people dumb for not being bothered.
Not calling you dumb. I'm calling not making an account which literally takes less than 10 seconds dumb since you could've saved a lot of money, discovered great new games or just built a nice library with games to try out whenever you want for free. But that's besides the point here. If it's less effort for you to pay ~$/€40 a year from now for the same game, then be my guest. More power to you! I'm just pointing out to another member that it's free tomorrow.

Last edited:

Rods

May 1, 2020
I didn't like Atilla or Thrones of Brettonia, i will probably skip this.

I'm excited for more Warhammer or Three Kingdoms though.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
My OT is almost ready. I just want to quickly photoshop a starting image. I can't seem to find the Map of the game. As anyone seen the map?

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
My OT is almost ready. I just want to quickly photoshop a starting image. I can't seem to find the Map of the game. As anyone seen the map?
The WCC review above has a picture of it. Not sure if it's what you're looking for though:

Total-War-Saga-Troy-03-The-Map.jpg

OP
OP
Uhtred

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020

Sweet, looking forward to it! Some of the artwork looks gorgeous, like the top banner in the wccf review.

Can't find any images of the map either. You might have to screenshot a video :(

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing it's still not the title in which they finaly allow more than 2 players campaign multiplayer ?

OP
OP
Uhtred

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
I'm guessing it's still not the title in which they finaly allow more than 2 players campaign multiplayer ?

Multiplayer won't be available until November I think. Given that theya re taking more time with it, maybe it will support more than 2 players? That would be cool.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Multiplayer won't be available until November I think. Given that theya re taking more time with it, maybe it will support more than 2 players? That would be cool.
It would be amazing to finaly see it happen. I have at least 4 friends ready to play TW games, but the fact we "have to" play another game if more than two of us are available and we want to play together makes no sense ( and the reason why we don't buy all TW games ).
I get that turns can take a long time, so the more player there is the more boring it can get, but that's a choice we want to be able to make, like in a Civ game or Age of wonders, etc..
And on the technical side, I really don't see how there could be a big challenge to make it happen ( but at the same time I don't get how the licence is pretty famous for having desync issue, it's Turn per Turn, not some Europa Universalis running at max speed... ).

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I love the setting and it seems to have some of the best maps in the series. So pretty happy about it.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It was free so I'm not going to worry about impressions or reviews. Just gonna try it myself.