• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
www.propublica.org

A Teenager Didn’t Do Her Online Schoolwork. So a Judge Sent Her to Juvenile Detention.

A 15-year-old in Michigan was incarcerated during the coronavirus pandemic after a judge ruled that not completing her schoolwork violated her probation. “It just doesn’t make any sense,” said the girl’s mother.

"PONTIAC, Mich. — One afternoon in mid-June, Charisse* drove up to the checkpoint at the Children's Village juvenile detention center in suburban Detroit, desperate to be near her daughter. It had been a month since she had last seen her, when a judge found the girl had violated probation and sent her to the facility during the pandemic.

The girl, Grace, hadn't broken the law again. The 15-year-old wasn't in trouble for fighting with her mother or stealing, the issues that had gotten her placed on probation in the first place.

She was incarcerated in May for violating her probation by not completing her online coursework when her school in Beverly Hills switched to remote learning.

Because of the confidentiality of juvenile court cases, it's impossible to determine how unusual Grace's situation is. But attorneys and advocates in Michigan and elsewhere say they are unaware of any other case involving the detention of a child for failing to meet academic requirements after schools closed to help stop the spread of COVID-19.

The decision, they say, flies in the face of recommendations from the legal and education communities that have urged leniency and a prioritization of children's health and safety amid the crisis. The case may also reflect, some experts and Grace's mother believe, systemic racial bias. Grace is Black in a predominantly white community and in a county where a disproportionate percentage of Black youth are involved with the juvenile justice system."

The power that judges have is insanity.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
they can do the same with your parents if you arent going to school or fine you in some places.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Totally unacceptable.

You can't just lock kids up for missing their homework. Somehow I doubt the judge is doing that to white kids.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
This is around where I grew up. That high school had a problem with racial slurs being written on walls and such, I am not shocked that this deeply racist area continues to behave in such a way. We have to fight to unseat this corrupt judge.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How is the Onion still in business with these 2020 headlines?

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
I want to say there must be more information, but it's America. That's seriously disgusting behaviour by the judge. I hope the story gets traction.

Oct 25, 2017
The case may also reflect, some experts and Grace's mother believe, systemic racial bias. Grace is Black in a predominantly white community and in a county where a disproportionate percentage of Black youth are involved with the juvenile justice system.

The second I saw it was Pontiac I knew it was gonna be some racist fuckery

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Is this one of those private prisons that makes money off how many people are locked up?

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Fucking problem with America. The solution to everything is straight up incarceration, especially if you're not white.

Probably should deal with this systematic racism now.

Oct 25, 2017
Take the pigs down a peg, others will step up for them. Don't need guns and body armor to inflict the kind of damage they're looking for.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
So not only does she have ADHD, she was also keeping up well enough relative to her classmates. (Which is no easy task in these times with ADHD.)

But if this is true...
Her teacher said she wasn't handling her online work less well than her peers.
...then who the hell reported her, and what role did that teacher play in all this?

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
So not only does she have ADHD, she was also keeping up well enough relative to her classmates. (Which is no easy task in these times with ADHD.)

But if this is true...

...then who the hell reported her, and what role did that teacher play in all this?
Her caseworker reported her.

It's in the article:

"Days after the court hearing, on April 24, Grace's new caseworker, Rachel Giroux, made notes in her file that she was doing well: Grace had called to check in at 8:57 a.m.; she reported no issues at home and was getting ready to log in to do her schoolwork.

But by the start of the following week, Grace told Giroux she felt overwhelmed. She had forgotten to plug in her computer and her alarm didn't go off, so she overslept. She felt anxious about the probation requirements. Charisse, feeling overwhelmed as well, confided in the caseworker that Grace had been staying up late to make food and going on the internet, then sleeping in. She said she was setting up a schedule for Grace and putting a desk in the living room where she could watch her work.

"Worker told mother that child is not going to be perfect and that teenagers aren't always easy to work with but you have to give them the opportunity to change," according to the case progress notes. "Child needs time to adjust to this new normal of being on probation and doing work from home."

Five days later, after calling Charisse and learning that Grace had fallen back to sleep after her morning caseworker check-in, Giroux filed a violation of probation against her for not doing her schoolwork."

So the poor girl has ADHD. Has unreasonable probation requirements that made her more anxious. Was dealing with emotional issues of no school and structure and a pandemic. And her goddamned caseworker reports her one violation.

Fuck this system, man.

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
What a wonderful example of the school to prison pipeline in action!

But remember kids, institutional and systemic racism just don't exist in this country!

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I practically never did my homework in middle school or high school. I also never got formally punished for it nor would have doing so done me any good.

Singling out 'problem students' like this and putting them in a separate social category just leads them down the path of criminality.