• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
The visuals beyond character models are probably the biggest negative for me with this game. We all know about the horrible textures but everything just looks so drab and ugly and rushed/slapped together from a graphics point of view. You can't have the character models and enemies look so good then put them in contrast to these terrible background visuals.

Yes, I guess the word is rushed.
Something wrong has happened in the development of this game and maybe we will knew in a year or so.

Oct 25, 2017
this isn't an oversight or a bug -- my bet is this performance problems were the reason for the month or two delay. this is a super safe way of reclaiming memory and GPU time in a pinch.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I think SE should stop developing games and let a more competent western developer produce their games. They had 5 years so there's really no excuse.
lmao

this isn't an oversight or a bug -- my bet is this performance problems were the reason for the month or two delay. this is a super safe way of reclaiming memory and GPU time in a pinch.
It's a texture streaming bug you see in a lot of games, Monster Hunter World even had it in the PC version(at launch) when textures worked fine on consoles. Doubt it's related to performance in FF7r when it even happens in obviously less taxing areas(like Cloud's apartment door).

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
It's a texture streaming bug you see in a lot of games, Monster Hunter World even had it in the PC version(at launch) when textures worked fine on consoles. Doubt it's related to performance in FF7r when it even happens in obviously less taxing areas(like Cloud's apartment door).
i don't know how else to say this, but the idea what the programmers at square were unable to identify and fix a mips bug before launch is... a real, true, stretch of the imagination

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
What about the static helicopters just sitting in the air

Sounds like a them problem. Everyone uses UE and are able to release games with out these issues.

It's fine if you ran into problems, but blaming the most popular game engine on the planet, yeah I'm not sure about that
A lot of Unreal Engine games do release with this issue, but it's not just an UE4 issue, a lot of games in general have it. It's obviously a more extreme case in this game though.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
i don't know how else to say this, but the idea what the programmers at square were unable to identify and fix a mips bug before launch is... a real, true, stretch of the imagination
It's also a stretch of imagination that SE's programmers weren't able to implement a brightness filter for HDR mode in the game, yet the game shipped without one. Answer you're looking for is what they had time to implement or fix, not what they could or couldn't do.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It's also a stretch of imagination that SE's programmers weren't able to implement a brightness filter for HDR mode in the game, yet the game shipped without one. Answer you're looking for is what they had time to implement or fix, not what they could or couldn't do.
Something is seriously wrong with their project management if 5 years wasn't enough time to ensure their assets actually loaded into the game. Let alone include HDR settings.

Or there was some significant roadblock during development that resulted in them scrambling at the end.

Pick one.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Chapter 15

ff7a8jhh.png

This is NOT looking at a hidden place out of bonds or anything, it's straight in your face.

I loved this personally. Unintended OG FFVII vibes.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
FF7R is one of the most inconsistent games I can remember playing.
Stuff like what you mention stands out but the whole game is full of instances where a fanatic looking asset is right next to a really bad or low res looking asset.
What makes it weirder is the game doesn't try and hide any of these things, instead focusing entire cut scenes around them.

It really stood out to me when I played it. I do wonder if they ran out of time (no time to optimise, c19?) or were fine with how some of these things looked?
The other thing that really stood out to me was how most npc models look like they should be in another game.
The time arguments here are nuts to me. The game was in development for at least 5 years, wasn't it? "We just didn't have time to make the high res textures" seems nuts to me.

Estarossa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game was thrown out and restarted at one point don't forget, and that is because Square did exactly that and attempted to get the game developed externally lol CyberConnect were completely out of their depth.

The last flagship title that wasn't in development hell was FFX, a game that was released almost 2 decades ago, that'
s longer than their "golden age" period. It's time people took a good hard look at SE as a prestigious developer. They need new blood at the top !

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Textures eventually load in. I can't think of many games where the textures just NEVER properly load.
It does happen, as I mentioned, MHW on PC launched with this problem for all armors during cutscenes, they just never loaded the highest model when it did so on consoles:
twitter.com

Vuze on Twitter

“Pic 1: Bugged texture streaming on PC that Capcom hasn't even acknowledged Pic 2: Full Res Mip Workaround 🤔 #MHWorld”

Though the more popular iteration of this bug are textures that sometimes load, and sometime doesn't.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Seeing people complain about bad textures like they burned your house down and killed your crops never fails to amuse me.

If its glitched its glitched, give them chance to fix it lol. People take this shit too seriously

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Seeing people complain about bad textures like they burned your house down and killed your crops never fails to amuse me.

If its glitched its glitched, give them chance to fix it lol. People take this shit too seriously
I mean it results in the game looking like dogshit for significant portions, but then it's really beautiful in other instances. We definitely don't want it to be this way.

I already bought the game and finished it. The time to fix it was a day one patch.

May 24, 2019
Can anyone identify what chapters these two skyboxes were used in? In-game you'd still only ever be looking at a tiny segment of them at once, so I'm trying to figure out if they're actually higher res here than what we got.

Okay. Tried this for myself through guesswork.
From this skybox provided in the Tweet (4096x4096px)
02FzmWA.jpg

I cropped a section might be visible as a background for the game (I assume it's from one of the areas where you can look down on the slums) and blew it up to the PS4 Pro resolution of 1620p.
Z0Q2afn.jpg

That seems about as fuzzy as the game had them, so I don't know if those assets are actually displaying any extra detail.

edit: Oops. There's a download link for a higher res 8192px skybox. Checking it now.

Okay. This is from the full res skybox. Doesn't look much better.
5H6d6Te.jpg

The problem is giving such prominent assets to the skybox at all. They're always going to lose definition behind actual geometry in the foreground.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Something is seriously wrong with their project management...
I think that's something even SE can agree with, they even talked about in some of their financial reports, this company is one of the worst in the industry at managing big AAA projects and have been so since the PS2 days.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
It does happen, as I mentioned, MHW on PC launched with this problem for all armors during cutscenes, they just never loaded the highest model when it did so on consoles:
twitter.com

Vuze on Twitter

“Pic 1: Bugged texture streaming on PC that Capcom hasn't even acknowledged Pic 2: Full Res Mip Workaround 🤔 #MHWorld”

Though the more popular iteration of this bug are textures that sometimes load, and sometime doesn't.
Armor during the cutscenes for a multiplayer focused game is extremely insignificant compared to the visual hiccups FF7R had.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
As I mentioned on another thread,
I think this is what happen in FFVIIR:
1. SE already delayed the game from March 3rd to April 10th.
2. SE knows that some area still need to be fix (texture bugs etc). But the game it self already running ok.
3. Some lockdown scenario looming around Japan/Tokyo (and other parts of the world) at the time.
4. SE cannot delay the game anymore. They took the hard decision to ship it at whatever cause.
5. SE knows players around the world will notice the discrepancies.
6. SE told all the staff to be quiet about this.
7. and said "we're going to release it on other platform eventually, so we can fix it at that time"
8. The end.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Armor during the cutscenes for a multiplayer focused game is extremely insignificant compared to the visual hiccups FF7R had.
It's still the same bug, and it happening on the main points of interest during cutscenes was really jarring, it even was one of the biggest complaints about the game in the PC performance thread here.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The game was thrown out and restarted at one point don't forget, and that is because Square did exactly that and attempted to get the game developed externally lol CyberConnect were completely out of their depth.

They changed developers but I really doubt they thrown a lot of work done since that considering the Cyberconnect2 Bombing Mission looks the same as the final version.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Holy shit I completely forgot about this. Makes a little more sense now that this game has some issues.
They changed developers but I really doubt they thrown a lot of work done since that considering the Cyberconnect2 Bombing Mission looks the same as the final version.
Yeah it doesn't seem like everything was thrown out, but an entirely different developer taking over mid development seems just about as fucked.

Cyberbeing

Oct 29, 2017
Epic is not at fault. UE4 works fine.
Depends, older versions of UE4 (released around the same time-frame FF7R development may have migrated to UE4) did have LOD bugs like this one which resulted in improper automatic LOD when using Build Scale. It looks rather similar to what could be happening with that apartment door and other examples which entirely fail to load a lower LOD. Either way though, even bugs such as that could be workaround when developers are aware of them, but I wouldn't really consider UE4's automatic LOD system to be flawless when it comes to visual fidelity without any additional effort by artists. It's part of what makes the tech in the new UE5 demo so interesting.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Depends, older versions of UE4 (released around the same time-frame FF7R development may have migrated to UE4) did have LOD bugs like this one which resulted in improper automatic LOD when using Build Scale. It looks rather similar to what could be happening with that apartment door and other examples which entirely fail to load a lower LOD. Either way though, even bugs such as that could be workaround when developers are aware of them, but I wouldn't really consider UE4's automatic LOD system to be flawless when it comes to visual fidelity without any additional effort by artists. It's part of what makes the tech in the new UE5 demo so interesting.
Make no mistake, video game development seems like fucking black magic to me. It's definitely not easy to make sure everything works and behaves exactly the way you want it to. Some seriously talented people making games that look as insane as they do now.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So, these posts are from 2014; there is no way that Square-Enix locked engine anytime before 2017 (I would guess a custom build of 4.21, if I had to). There are key improvements and important console SDK updates that are crucial to releasing any modern game.

In addition, what you posted isn't really a *bug* in the traditional sense, it's simply Unreal reading texel size from the original vertex data rather than looking at in-engine import scaling. Maybe it works either way nowadays, I'm not sure, but it would be very simple for a team to be like "hey we need to make sure everything is scaled properly in our modeling software", which they should frankly be doing anyway.

Unreal, like any engine, has bugs that pop up from time to time. You fix them or find workarounds or wait for the new version. Nothing should be a "surprise" that late in the game to any even remotely competent team.

That said, Square Enix made decisions to do what they did with the current technology available. I don't doubt they could have managed texture memory and pop-in better in certain areas, but I also understand they were under significant release pressure.

Last edited:

Pollen

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
I love them. Using high fidelity pre-rendered art is much more preferable to me than individually modeling every single texture and detail in the background. It gave the game a really cool visual identity and I hope Square and other companies follow suit with this because it would most likely help reduce development time and cost!

Deleted member 12555

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's pretty jarring. I would've rather preferred they use low-detail 3d rendering for those parts (which should still be feasible, performance-wise, if other UE4 games are to be believed) than high detail backgrounds which will make me stop to think "what the hell man" each time I come across them.

Good thing is, apart from maybe Junon and the Golden Saucer, they probably won't need to convey that kind of scale again for part 2.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
I thought they were fine?

Yeah, they aren't perfect. Like the texture load-in.

But they didn't bother me at all.

In fact, the actual artwork and what they are depicting was incredibly impressive to me. They were designed really well.

Yes, it takes you out of it a little bit knowing they are just 2D, but I genuinely felt it worked.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Chapter 15

ff7a8jhh.png

This is NOT looking at a hidden place out of bonds or anything, it's straight in your face.

I'm sure it'd look fine if we have just 1 or 2 layers of buildings between the player and the background, eg, more of the buildings on the left. The problem is them just using basically a 2D image to simulate all of the ground, wall, and ceiling part of the background with nothing inbetween lol
It's not noticable when you're playing on the ground level because it's covered by walls of buildings.

See this, compare 4:15 and 4:21. There is nothing between you and the background so the flatness is jarring :P If you see from 4:47 things look better because there's seperation with elements of background before we go to the 2D background.

Again, probably time and resource (manpower) limitation at play

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK
No, they don't load in is the problem. Literally everywhere between chapter 3 and 15 it's problematic.
They looked like they were fine for me, but I was playing in 1080p on my standard PS4. I don't know what it was like for players on PS4 Pro or anyone playing in 4K, but they looked more than OK to me.

I think these kinds of graphical imperfections just don't bother players like me. Especially when the character models and general image quality and performance of the game was so impressive.

EDIT: Like, take this:

I mean, yes, if you look at the background image on a pixel level, then obviously there is some pixelation.

But considering this is the background and not what the eye is focusing on at all while playing unless you actively stop and look at it, it's not even a problem. It's more than fine to me.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
It was almost jarring how good Chapter 16 looked, felt like I was playing a re-release with actual 3d backgrounds

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
By the way, they did have to have the whole thing modeled out to render out those HDRI background images you know, maybe with next gen they can just put the whole scene into the game instead of using the rendered out images :P

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
Do you have any picture examples of these? I keep hearing about them and was watching a stream but was not able to catch them.
You can basically start here and go through the rest of the thread just looking at the posted images, there's tons.
www.resetera.com

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 7 Remake - Tech Review - Beautiful, But Not Flawless

If the whole game was low resolution textures it would be fine... but low resolution texutres becoming high resolution textures right in front of our eyes... probably the worst graphical flaw along with pop-in scenery, imo.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
They looked like they were fine for me, but I was playing in 1080p on my standard PS4. I don't know what it was like for players on PS4 Pro or anyone playing in 4K, but they looked more than OK to me.

I think these kinds of graphical imperfections just don't bother players like me. Especially when the character models and general image quality and performance of the game was so impressive.

EDIT: Like, take this:

I mean, yes, if you look at the background image on a pixel level, then obviously there is some pixelation.

But considering this is the background and not what the eye is focusing on at all while playing unless you actively stop and look at it, it's not even a problem. It's more than fine to me.
No, they just. Don't load. Ever. No matter how long you stand there or get right up next to it, a lot of things just never load. Pro or not doesn't matter.
Xb4pq3y.jpg

pfNN5KX.jpg

Nevermind the blurry skybox. You don't need a magnifying glass to look at it so close, you can just see the stark blurry contrast to everything in the foreground, and how it doesn't move in relation to anything else as you move.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I havent seen this before, thanks

This is an important find.

I also saw a thread that he made about it on his twitter, and it was very enlightening

He doesnt blame the engine there, he explains that it was probably a coding fuck up or something

And according to him, it's fixable, but it would demand some work, checking textures one by one (oof)
That's not how this works, at all.
In UE4 you can go to the texture and check its properties. If you can't fix it there, then you're probably running out of memory and a higher mipmap can't be loaded. That would be a whole different issue, but again, this is probably that single texture having the wrong setup or some other fuckery going on. You just go to that one texture and/or that one model and debug it.
Nobody goes through all textures one by one for anything at all, and that person on Twitter is sadly talking out of his ass on this one.

ravn0s

Oct 29, 2017
Can anyone identify what chapters these two skyboxes were used in? In-game you'd still only ever be looking at a tiny segment of them at once, so I'm trying to figure out if they're actually higher res here than what we got.

Looks like they might be the skyboxes for chapter 4 (parachuting part) or chapter 6.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, looking up at the plate from the Sector 7 slums at night is one of the most astonishing visuals I've seen in games. I wasn't sure at first if it was 2D or 3D -- it looked 3D, but way too detailed to actually be modeled. I just stood there at the train station, my jaw on the floor. Quite impressive. And while some of the later backgrounds are more obviously 2D, they still conveyed the sprawl of Midgar.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I was thoroughly impressed overall, despite the small graphical inconsistencies. The sky boxes actually felt like a neat throwback, I didn't mind them in the least.

Im actually impressed that the game is still on ver 1.00 and hasn't had a single post-release patch. Game is surprisingly stable in my experience and nothing really detracted from the experience. I bet they are saving their energy for the PS5 patch/version