• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
3Ialvuo.png
bwhahahaha, excellent

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I have a TCL 4K TV and I remember using a guide in rtings.com to calibrate it and the image was considerably improved. One of the things they tell you to change is the sharpness, drop it all the way to 0. If you never changed your parameters, then perhaps you should look into it. I believe the Roku app on the phone gives you access to an advanced mode where you can further adjust the image quality. I would suggest visiting that site and search for particular model to see if there is a guide for it.

So mine is the tcl 43S525. Cant find a full calibration guide. RTings literally just says it leave everything at default for HDR content. Doesnt mention anything about sharpness but I did lower it to 10 and that helps a bit.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
So mine is the tcl 43S525. Cant find a full calibration guide. RTings literally just says it leave everything at default for HDR content. Doesnt mention anything about sharpness but I did lower it to 10 and that helps a bit.

So moving it to 10 helps a bit, so instead of moving it to 0 you ran here to post how it only helps a bit? WTF?

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
At my desk I use 2 27" 4K displays
And it's pretty good for text as well as games.

Sitting close to a large TV, you're going to see the pixels.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of sharpness, I have a 4k 27" monitor which obviously has a high pixel density. Do I need to use any sharpening settings?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
holy shit when did era become so godamn antagonistic towards people. jfc
And what did you expect ERA to do about your "problem"? This thread already reeks of stealth PS5 concern trolling. Since you are unsatisfied with your PS5, you can always try building a gaming PC with a $1500 RTX3090, which will be capable of running more games at native 4K (but still not ALL of them).

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
And what did you expect ERA to do about your "problem"? This thread already reeks of stealth PS5 concern trolling. Since you are unsatisfied with your PS5, you can always try building a gaming PC with a $1500 RTX3090, which will be capable of running more games at native 4K (but still not ALL of them).

never fucking said it was a problem. Just that I was hoping for more. Never said I was unsatisfied with my PS5. In point of fact I'm loving it. Calm your tits.

Rubik8

Dec 5, 2018
It must be a special kind of personal hell to be so concerned with shit that doesn't matter so you can't really enjoy anything.

There is nothing like a console launch to bring out the first world problems.

Nov 1, 2017
I just find the concept of native 4K such a waste of resources. A Souls game on console, looking like DeS, and at 60fps is transformative.
Native 4K doesn't compare to 60fps.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
ya know what. nevermind. Mods close this thread. Apparently Im "concern trolling" when that is absolutely not the case. It was a tiny observation I made. I am still loving my ps5.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Using performance mode and then complaining about the resolution is something else.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
holy shit when did era become so godamn antagonistic towards people. jfc
It's been escalating for a while.
That recent thread about the user that was scammed when buying a scalped PS5 was incredibly mean-spirited.

For what it's worth, recommended viewing distance for 1440p native content would be ~2m (~6.5ft) from a 42" display, and ~1.3m (~4.5ft) with native 4K content.

If even Digital Foundry has a hard time with the PS exclusives when it comes to reconstructed 4K (which they really praised if I remembered) then I don't know what to tell you apart from what has been told.
They have difficulty identifying the exact rendering resolution.
They do not have trouble seeing that it is not native 4K.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Using performance mode and then complaining about the resolution is something else.

ACV doesnt have a performance mode. Same with Cold war. But again. I must be concern trolling.

Meanwhile all im literally playing right now is my PS5 cause I cant put it down. Its great.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, OP. The replies in thread are embarrassing. For what it's worth, I agree with you. Hopefully more PS5 games get a native 4K option. Would take that over 60 fps if I had to pick, honestly

seriously. anytime anyone says anything bad about either of the consoles suddenly they are "concern trolling" or trying to shit on the consoles when that is not the case at all. Like I get being a fan of either of the machines but come the fuck on.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Its almost as if you can have legitimate criticism about a console but still play it all the damned time.

In fairness, you could imagine how framing this thread differently would have had different results. "I'm dissappointed games aren't targeting native 4k" while likely not generating a lot of discussion, would have at least been more targeted than a vague criticism about the PS5 not looking good on a TV you're probably sitting too close to.

People are dog piling, and senselessly, but there's just not much to work with here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
You're kind of setting yourself up for disappointment if you're pressing your face against a decently sized television and expecting everything to look perfect.

This sounds reductive but this seems like a "you problem." My recommendation? Back up from your display, that's really your only course here.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I had no idea everyone here sat so far away from their tv.
Like I'm not right up against it but I like to pretty close

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I wonder what the pixel density of that model is. Anyway that's pretty close to a TV anyway.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
At the end of the day this is just another next gen. If you were on the up and up with pc hardware you've probably been slightly disappointed in the last 4 or 5 gens. The reality is that a new console lineup sets the minimal requirements for future games to come, they haven't ever really been the new maximum. Although exclusive titles tend to tap into the optimization like nothing else, and you get games with really premier animation or approach to assets, as seen in The Last of Us and God of War, but let's be honest there were already games when God of War and TLOU2 released that had better shading, lighting and performance optimization than those games if you looked elsewhere (on pc, I mean).

And when PS4 launched we got Battlefiled 4, running at 60fps on all systems but already showing significant advantages on pc. On PS3 we got Assassin's Creed 1 which had clear benefits on pc too.

It's just how it is. I also think the SSD stuff has turned out, at least a little, to be the kind of "Blast Processing" advertisement spiel I expected. (Compared to pc users who have had benefits of simply faster loading from SSD for at least 5 years now.)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea everyone here sat so far away from their tv.
Like I'm not right up against it but I like to pretty close
That's the reason why pushing native 4K doesn't matter most of the time.
The majority of setups are likely to put the viewer outside the ideal viewing distance for 1440p, let alone 4K.

If you sit close, higher resolutions do matter; but most people don't.
And a lot of people seem to think that resolution is a display size thing, rather than a viewing distance thing.
I've seen many setups with giant televisions, but their seating is so far away from it that they end up with a smaller image than most setups with smaller TVs in a smaller room.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day this is just another next gen. If you were on the up and up with pc hardware you've probably been slightly disappointed in the last 4 or 5 gens. The reality is that a new console lineup sets the minimal requirements for future games to come, they haven't ever really been the new maximum. Although exclusive titles tend to tap into the optimization like nothing else, and you get games with really premier animation or approach to assets, as seen in The Last of Us and God of War, but let's be honest there were already games when God of War and TLOU2 released that had better shading, lighting and performance optimization than those games if you looked elsewhere (on pc, I mean).

And when PS4 launched we got Battlefiled 4, running at 60fps on all systems but already showing significant advantages on pc. On PS3 we got Assassin's Creed 1 which had clear benefits on pc too.

It's just how it is. I also think the SSD stuff has turned out, at least a little, to be the kind of "Blast Processing" advertisement spiel I expected. (Compared to pc users who have had benefits of simply faster loading from SSD for at least 5 years now.)

TBH its enough of an upgrade I may stick with console gaming for awhile. My pc is beefy sure but getting settings right to play well on my 4k tv with raytracing is turning out to be a pain in the ass and I am not going to upgrade my GPU until the next gen 40 series most likely. Finding a 3080 was impossible and the ps5 was coming out so I made a choice. I think I made the better choice. Being able to play demons souls and the exclusives playstation has is well worth the money.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I really hate how people have pushed the reconstructed is the same as 4k narrative. Demon's Souls 4k mode eliminates aliasing/shimmering and pop in is reduced and looks considerably better than the performance mode in terms of texture detail. Of course it falls apart in motion making performance the best option times 10 but resolution still matters

You really don't even need to be close to the screen to tell the difference if you have a 4k tv. Feel like some people need glasses or updated prescriptions and don't realize it because their vision is "good enough" lol

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
TBH its enough of an upgrade I may stick with console gaming for awhile. My pc is beefy sure but getting settings right to play well on my 4k tv with raytracing is turning out to be a pain in the ass and I am not going to upgrade my GPU until the next gen 40 series most likely. Finding a 3080 was impossible and the ps5 was coming out so I made a choice. I think I made the better choice. Being able to play demons souls and the exclusives playstation has is well worth the money.

I thought I was going to skip this console gen, but it's looking a lot like last gen for me. The consoles are great bangs for the buck and will be for a couple of years. After that I will likely upgrade my pc. And by then I'm sure I'll need a whole new build...

As for the TV on a desk, it is something that a friend of mine did with a 40 inch 720p tv back in the day. But he would play at native resolution. That helps.

I'm guessing the 1440p reconstructed to 4k makes it a little soft, and the distance just adds to that. Try out the cinematic mode and see if that makes a difference.

LeBigMac

Oct 26, 2017
I really hate how people have pushed the reconstructed is the same as 4k narrative. Demon's Souls 4k mode eliminates aliasing/shimmering and pop in is reduced and looks considerably better than the performance mode in terms of texture detail. Of course it falls apart in motion making performance the best option times 10 but resolution still matters

You really don't even need to be close to the screen to tell the difference if you have a 4k tv. Feel like some people need glasses or updated prescriptions and don't realize it because their vision is "good enough" lol

Genuine question - If it falls apart in motion, then what's the point? The game is constantly in motion.

1440p 60fps is the sweet spot in my opinion and I hope all games this gen offer up that option.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I was going to skip this console gen, but it's looking a lot like last gen for me. The consoles are great bangs for the buck and will be for a couple of years. After that I will likely upgrade my pc. And by then I'm sure I'll need a whole new build...

As for the TV on a desk, it is something that a friend of mine did with a 40 inch 720p tv back in the day. But he would play at native resolution. That helps.

I'm guessing the 1440p reconstructed to 4k makes it a little soft, and the distance just adds to that. Try out the cinematic mode and see if that makes a difference.

oh cinematic mode def makes a difference but In a souls game i HAVE to have 60fps. Its just so important for combat. Timing rolls for iframes with 30fps is just impossible for me.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Genuine question - If it falls apart in motion, then what's the point? The game is constantly in motion.

1440p 60fps is the sweet spot in my opinion and I hope all games this gen offer up that option.
Oh I don't disagree at all, performance mode is the only way I'm interested in. But the alternative does look better and it's why I like pc gaming lol.

It's more people saying oh they look exactly the same might as well gain the frames and no they really don't lol. But the performance makes up the difference for sure.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
That's the reason why pushing native 4K doesn't matter most of the time.
The majority of setups are likely to put the viewer outside the ideal viewing distance for 1440p, let alone 4K.

If you sit close, higher resolutions do matter; but most people don't.
And a lot of people seem to think that resolution is a display size thing, rather than a viewing distance thing.
I've seen many setups with giant televisions, but their seating is so far away from it that they end up with a smaller image than most setups with smaller TVs in a smaller room.

So shouldn't people be wanting to sit close to their tv then? But people are making fun of the OP for sitting too close