• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
I play on a tv on my desk. Its a 42 inch TCL 5 series. In some games on my new ps5 its obvious its not running at native resolution.

Demons souls looks good in performance mode but it looks overly *sharp* is the best way to describe it. Must be 1440p upscaled.

other games like AC valhalla look decent but there are times where i can tell the resolution is really taking a hit.

Now granted this is up close. When I move to my roommates bigass 65 inch 4k vizio and sit farther back everything looks fantastic. Im not noticing the sharpness effect in demons souls for example and Valhalla looks great.

Seems that if you are sitting further back you get more out of this console then sitting up close where you can notice the resolution degrade. I was hoping for somewhat close to native 4k in a lot of games and i guess that just isnt going to happen.

Last edited:

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
DeS is 4k even on performance, it's reconstructed from 1440p. for me it's crispy and i sit very close to my 40" tv.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
A 42 inch tv.... On a desk. I hate to say it but, what do you expect from that close? I have a Series S with the same size (and brand) TV, and if I sit a reasonable distance, I can't tell in motion that FH4 is apparently 1080p. I thought it was 1440 until I saw otherwise here.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Seems that if you are sitting further back you get more out of this console then sitting up close where you can notice the resolution degrade. I was hoping for somewhat close to native 4k in a lot of games and i guess that just isnt going to happen.
This has nothing to do with the PS5 specifically and everything to do with how close you are to your TV lol.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

This is just resolution and AA in a nutshell. If you sit right up front, you'll notice the issues a lot more. Will be true regardless of what device you have hooked up to your TV.

As for games not hitting closer to native 4k, it's all about compromises. There's a reason there are performance and fidelity modes.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On xbox one x, i always prioritized resolution over performance, but now on series x and ps5, i opt for performance mode because the resolution is good enough and above 1080p even with the high framerate. On one x, if you wanted 60 fps, you were playing in 1080p or 900p. I dont mind going to 1440p for a solid 60 fps, but i wont go below that

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
For desk viewing I recommend a 1440p monitor that can downsample from a 4k output, since ps5 has no support for 1440p.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
42 inch on a desk?! Jesus. "When I move to my roommates bigass 65 inch 4k vizio and sit farther back everything looks fantastic." I think you found your solution.

I play 6 feet away from my 48 inch LG CX and everything looks crisp AF.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I can tell a difference from 1080p compared to 4K, but it's hard for me to spot much a difference between 1440p to 4K, it's a slight difference for me.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok when i say i sit close im not sitting right up close to it like I do my monitor. Im a bit further back. Its not like 30 inches or anything.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
You should be glad that its not running at native resolution because the gains from it would be minimal but the losses would be dramatic.

xem

Oct 31, 2017
I couldn't possibly be dissapointed at the performance I'm getting out of my 399 PS5 DE....not sure what one could expect more out of such. compare anything at that price. hard to beat

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps the distance has an effect + the difference in quality of your TV's.

Disker

Sep 17, 2020
If even Digital Foundry has a hard time with the PS exclusives when it comes to reconstructed 4K (which they really praised if I remembered) then I don't know what to tell you apart from what has been told.

Shame you feel this way. I personally can hardly distinguish is. Even sure with blind testing people won't notice the difference (I think)

Apart from that I think we will see a lot of non native 4k games for the next coming years or below that. I don't think these consoles are powerful enough for 4K 60 FPS with bells and whistles.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting 1440p60 and ~4K 30 to be the norm this generation, similar to how 1080p60 and 1440p30 were common on PS4 Pro.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the OPs scenario is entirely unreasonable. At least, some folks would probably like to play on 30 ish monitors and whatnot, sitting at their desk. That's always a big frustration for me on PS4 Pro, a lot of games look decent on the TV from far away, but up close you can see a lot of aliasing and whatnot all over the place. It's not unreasonable to want better IQ to fit the users needs, and I think some do play with a desk setup.

I must admit though, a 42 inch TV on a desk does seem absurd, but I think my next monitor is going to be a 30 inch or larger. So I'm a little worried about what the image will look like myself. I was even thinking about getting the new Asus Rog 43 inch monitor.

Lurcharound

Oct 27, 2017
UK
200.gif

Yes.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Ok when i say i sit close im not sitting right up close to it like I do my monitor. Im a bit further back. Its not like 30 inches or anything.
If you aren't 7 feet back you are going to notice things with the picture. That's the ideal viewing distance for that size of a tv.

OP
OP
Tahnit

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
42 inch on a desk?! Jesus. "When I move to my roommates bigass 65 inch 4k vizio and sit farther back everything looks fantastic." I think you found your solution.

I play 6 feet away from my 48 inch LG CX and everything looks crisp AF.

Im not like playing games with a kbm right infront like I do my monitor. Its off to the side on my corner desk. I did try doom eternal once on a kbm up close like that and couldnt do it lol.