• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it rude?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 498 34.2%
  • No, not really.

Votes: 900 61.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 58 4.0%

• Total voters

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Fuck yes
I'd feel the same if they threw their diaper genie bag in my bin. I don't care how it's sealed.
It's your own shit. take it home

I have a dog and would never dream of doing that

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like a lot of these responses are very neighborhood and trash can location dependent. In my area many folks (myself included) keep their trash bins in the back alley, where they are also collected. Pretty normal to see folks walking their dogs back there, and I've definitely seen folks toss their baggies in my can.

I think it's 100% fine, assuming the bin is a sensible place. A vastly prefer it to stepping in someone else's dog shit left all over (also something that has happened to me).

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Since you have to keep your bin in your garage and now that shit is going to sit there and stink everything up, yeah it's rude.

Uhyve

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's rude, they should take their shit to their own bin.

But I mean, as long as it's not in a place that's gonna stink up your property, it's 100x better than the people who leave their pets poop on the street. So I voted rude, but it's negligible compared to those people.

SmackDaddy

Nov 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I would never do it, but like... My dudes... Your trash is filthy and stinks like shit. Who cares if it also smells like dogshit. You don't smell it and you wash your hands regardless. It feels kinda hyper masculine to care about what goes in YOUR TRASH CAN lol

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if it was pre-empty, fair game and I would even say good on them.
AFTER it was emptied? Fuck those fuckers!!! Haha

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
If it's garbage day, it hasn't been picked up yet, and the bag is tied shut, then it's totally fine.

If the garbage was picked up and empty because I haven't gotten home yet to put it in the garage? Don't do that.

I had someone dump a hamster/bird cage or something in my garbage (shredded paperish stuff and shit) and that stuff caked to the inside of can for a while.
Definitely no to that.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
No wonder Capitalism is so entrenched

What? That's absolutely fair. Here, the amount we pay is dependent on the size of the can. We have a smaller can to save money so anyone utilizing my trash can that I'm paying for is taking up space that I'm being charged for. I'd be annoyed if anyone was utilizing my trash can space that I'm paying for. If it was a flat rate for unlimited trash disposal, you might have a point, but that's not the case for everyone.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
It's fine if the bin's already on the curb, hasn't been picked up yet, and the bag is dropped into the right one.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
I have been lectured by people for throwing paper in their recycle container before, so it just depends on the person I guess.

I would definitely not throw garbage in an empty can though, that just feels wrong lol.

Saito

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if I was a lazy asshole yeah I might throw it in someone else's bin. Fortunately I'm not.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
If the person had thrown it in the bin before it was emptied then sure that wouldn't really bother me too much but throwing it in after is fucked up.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather the bin than the street. My neighborhood is covered with shit (animal and human) up and down the streets. I WISH somebody would throw their trash in an actual trash bin, even if it was my own bin on the street.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
There is worse places to put it, and I'd probably never notice unless it was on top. We can cans scattered over the neighborhood for this though and it shouldn't be too much to ask to have you carry it to the closest one.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What? That's absolutely fair. Here, the amount we pay is dependent on the size of the can. We have a smaller can to save money so anyone utilizing my trash can that I'm paying for is taking up space that I'm being charged for. I'd be annoyed if anyone was utilizing my trash can space that I'm paying for. If it was a flat rate for unlimited trash disposal, you might have a point, but that's not the case for everyone.
Dude how much space do you think a bag containing one (1) dog shit takes, I doubt Clifford rolled past this guy's house haha

If we're so entrenched in the existing dichotomy of who pays for what size trash bin that we're stressing over the cubic footage of literal shit among larger piles of non-literal shit on a curb destined to be sent to even larger piles of both literal and non-literal shit, seems like we'd have a hell of a time with much resembling unity.

If y'all ever want to stroll by my house and throw away a small bag of poop, fuckin feel free I'm not gonna whine about it. Maybe down the road if I was in the same position I could be afforded the same courtesy, pay it forward

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Well you know what to do now OP.

Follow them home, look directly at them in the the eyes and proceed to shit on their lawn. Maintaining full eye contact is important. Assert your dominance.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Outside of the very specific circumstance of the can being out front for pickup but not yet emptied? Yeah I'd think it rude.

Kasai

Jan 24, 2018
You see, I voted on the poll before I finished reading the OP, and said it wasn't rude. There's nothing wrong with topping off an already full can.

However, throwing it in my empty bin? Id be pissed. Mildly pissed, though. 3 out of 10 level.

This is why I'd own a grabber claw thing. We have one at work and it's great for picking up things out the drive-through window

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
Take accountability, clean up your own shit and put it in public bin or your own bin instead of other's.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Dude how much space do you think a bag containing one (1) dog shit takes, I doubt Clifford rolled past this guy's house haha

If we're so entrenched in the existing dichotomy of who pays for what size trash bin that we're stressing over the cubic footage of literal shit among larger piles of non-literal shit on a curb destined to be sent to even larger piles of both literal and non-literal shit, seems like we'd have a hell of a time with much resembling unity.

If y'all ever want to stroll by my house and throw away a small bag of poop, fuckin feel free I'm not gonna whine about it. Maybe down the road if I was in the same position I could be afforded the same courtesy, pay it forward

It's the principle of it. People shouldn't use other people's trash especially in a scenario where people pay for the amount of trash that they use. This isn't limited to dog shit; it applies to any trash. Rather than having to go through a list of what is okay and what is not okay, it should just be a flat out not okay. If one can't handle the responsibility of what it takes to clean up after their dog, then maybe one shouldn't have a dog.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
It's the principle of it. People shouldn't use other people's trash especially in a scenario where people pay for the amount of trash that they use. This isn't limited to dog shit; it applies to any trash. Rather than having to go through a list of what is okay and what is not okay, it should just be a flat out not okay. If one can't handle the responsibility of what it takes to clean up after their dog, then maybe one shouldn't have a dog.

There's a huge difference between tossing out a paper coffee cup (I do this in rando's bins all the time) and literally filling up the yard debris and trash cans because you're doing some landscaping (my neighbors did this to me like three years ago).

Big difference. Be one of those weirdos that locks your garbage cans shut if you feel like it.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
I'm still baffled at the amount of responses of "Well if it's between that and letting the dog poop on the sidewalk..." But it's not between pooping on the sidewalk and tossing it someone else's bin. They need to carry that shit home and throw it away.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
If they're throwing their bagged dog poop into my garbage bins that are out to be collected that day, then no that's fine. But if they've already been collected and they're empty? Hell no, don't do that.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still baffled at the amount of responses of "Well if it's between that and letting the dog poop on the sidewalk..." But it's not between pooping on the sidewalk and tossing it someone else's bin. They need to carry that shit home and throw it away.
Sidewalk or my can? It doesn't need to be either/or. It's your dog, carry the bag home and throw it away when you get there.
That's so adorable, seeing optimists. Sure, in a theoretical construction of the Matrix that programming might be possible. But the douche throwing shit in someone else's can is only a step removed from the douche not picking up shit at all.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I don't give a fuck in all honesty. They smell awful either way, so the occasional bagged dog shit ain't going to make any difference.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
What about if you have a dog then fucking deal with it and throw it in your own trashcan. It's your pet and not mine. You wanted the pet so you should be inconvenienced by them. What happened to OP sucks. Obviously it's not the end of the world if there was trash in it on trash day (even though I still think it's rude) I wouldn't even know or care, but that person saw it was empty and still did it. I don't find "lucky it wasn't on the sidewalk or the yard" an acceptable answer considering in my county it's illegal to leave animal waste anyways. Just be responsible and if you want to be lazy you shouldn't have the pet to begin with.

Side rant, there's a person in the neighborhood who's dog they used to let shit in the same spot in front of my house on my yard nearly every week without picking it up. We had to confront them when we caught them. Some people think their dogs got the right to shit wherever and it's no big deal and I find that unacceptable.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal

Seriously. I don't get how people seem to think those are the only two results.

Take your shit home or throw it in a *public* trash bin. Don't throw it in someone else's bin.

It's seriously baffling to me that people think it's okay.

That's so adorable, seeing optimists. Sure, in a theoretical construction of the Matrix that programming might be possible. But the douche throwing shit in someone else's can is only a step removed from the douche not picking up shit at all.

I mean, sure, but in this case it's still la douche move to throw it in someone else's bin. So, it's still rude.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

Still doesn't make the alternative "right."

You want a dog? Clean up after it.

My neighbors also let their cat out and it regularly poops in our yard and the other neighbors' yards and it drives me nuts.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone even considered the garbage person in this scenario?

In my neighborhood, we have very large trash bins that can't be picked up and dumped by hand, so the garbage people have to take out the bags from the can. It's very inconsiderate to have loose garbage in the can, and anything loose on the bottom is staying at the bottom. Nobody wants to manage small bags of dog poop when these guys are literally running down the street throwing bags and boxes in the truck as fast as they can.

The response in this thread is kind of insane actually.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I do it. If the cans are on the curb they're getting picked up the next morning so the owner of the can won't know a difference. I always tie the bags strongly and always carefully put them in. I've seen people do it to my can as well. I just don't really care. We're a community and people are picking up after their pets.

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone even considered the garbage person in this scenario?

In my neighborhood, we have very large trash bins that can't be picked up and dumped by hand, so the garbage people have to take out the bags from the can. It's very inconsiderate to have loose garbage in the can, and anything loose on the bottom is staying at the bottom. Nobody wants to manage small bags of dog poop when these guys are literally running down the street throwing bags and boxes in the truck as fast as they can.

That might make me reconsider my actions if I lived in a city that does that. In my city the trash man doesn't get out of the truck, it's all done by a automated arm on the truck

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
At least for me I'd rather someone just throw it out in my trash than carry a bag of shit home with them, to me that feels like the best and gracious thing to do for another human being, it's a small kindness you can abide at no great personal loss so doing a cost/benefit consideration it seems like a decent thing to do, like if more people approached situations that way life would probably be a bit better. Instead we get territorial and possessive about our curb or our garbage and culturally that seems kind of toxic

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'll consider them when they put my trash cans back where they found em.

....anyway they have the mechanical can dumper in my area. You make a good point, though.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
oh, at first I was on the strangers side, but then I read it was AFTER it was already picked up. Nah fuck that. I drop bagged poop in neighbors bins all the time on trash day, but that's hours BEFORE its picked up.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Bin on the curb with trash in it? No problem. Throw away.

Bin on the curb just emptied out? Nah, don't be an asshole.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Denver the garbage cans that you use for trash pickup are assigned to individuals but are technically owned by the city, so it is 0% rude here.

The general premise of this thread has strong NIMBY vibes.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
oh, at first I was on the strangers said, but then I read it was AFTER it was already picked up. Nah fuck that. I drop bagged poop in neighbors bins all the time on trash day, but that's hours BEFORE its picked up.

Yea I only take my dogs on walks in the evening so if cans are out it's definitely getting picked up first thing in the morning. I'm actually kind of surprised how many people are against this. Maybe it's my area but lots of dog walkers so seeing people dump poop in cans isn't a strange thing to see.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bother me at all. Trash cans are for trash. I don't really see the difference between someone else putting it in there and me putting a bag of trash in there.