• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was it rude?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 498 34.2%
  • No, not really.

Votes: 900 61.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 58 4.0%

• Total voters

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
As I stated initially, my belief of whether it is rude or not is dependent on if the personal trash cans are being kept in an enclosed area or not. I just haven't lived in any such neighborhoods yet.
I agree-however sometimes the person dropping the shit off isn't from the neighborhood. I live right next to a walking trail that spans miles. We get lots of dog walkers that are on the trail and then stop off in our neighborhood for a rest and to drop off their dog shit in our trash and before they resume their walk.

Jun 17, 2019
I would think it would depend on where the trash bin was. For people that have a alley way in the back (as with the Chicago for example) it's less of an issue because the cans are always in the back and you really don't smell it unless you go there and open up the bin to throw trash out. So in that case, I would say less rude, though I wouldn't do it unless there was an extreme reason for it. On the flip side for places that don't have alley ways, I would say it would be better to throw it away at home, so maybe a bit rude in that case, especially if the can is empty at the time. Absolutely rude if you go up someone's driveway or to their house to do that and it's not on the street.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
If your trash cans are on the curb filled with trash awaiting disposal that's fair game. Anyone who gets upset about that needs help.

EternalDarko

Oct 26, 2017
Not great with confrontation, so I just tipped the bin out on their lawn and dragged it back to ours. Nothing was said by them, but the pile very quickly found its way into their *actual* bin :P
Ah damn dude, totally nuts that they thought they could get away with that.
Good on you for chucking that shit back in their yard though!

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The poll results don't seem to line up with the posts which tells me people know it's rude but don't want to say it publicly and instead vote saying no.

Also yes, it's rude. You're not walking your dog across the Sahara desert. Bag it and take it back to your own bin.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I agree-however sometimes the person dropping the shit off isn't from the neighborhood. I live right next to a walking trail that spans miles. We get lots of dog walkers that are on the trail and then stop off in our neighborhood for a rest and to drop off their dog shit in our trash and before they resume their walk.
Yeah, I can see how that would suck. You'd hope the city would provide trash cans along the routes, especially at the exits, but I guess that's not always the case.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
They should bring it to their own home and stink up their own can. I can let it slide if the trash pickup didn't happen yet, but even then it's still rude. Same rule applies to your desk trash can in an office, you don't throw your trash out at someone else's desk.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Nah, I don't think it's rude. I don't have to store our bins in the garage, so that might change my mind, but I don't really stick around my bin long enough when throwing bags in to catch any potential whiffs of poo. Our bins are kept in our very small front area which is basically right next to a public path. People have often used the bin to dump some rubbish in as they're passing, including a bag of dog eggs. I just can't bring myself to care, it's a rubbish bin. Now that I've thought about it, I don't think I've ever noticed a smell coming from my bins, and I've put SO many bags of used cat litter in there. Either I'm really lucky, or our big plastic bins are really excellent at keeping odours contained.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Lazy and mildly rude. Like I wouldn't ever think to even do that, I just deal with the smell of the bag until I get home and put it in my own trash unless it's like a public trash can.
Really? Interesting. I'm living in a fairly well-off neighborhood with a somewhat annoying HOA and everyone keeps theirs outside. I'll have to look up what the "official" rule is (and then continue to ignore it either way).
I don't think I've ever encountered an HOA that's ok with visible trash cans. They usually need to be behind a gate/fence.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Lazy and mildly rude. Like I wouldn't ever think to even do that, I just deal with the smell of the bag until I get home and put it in my own trash unless it's like a public trash can.

I don't think I've ever encountered an HOA that's ok with visible trash cans. They usually need to be behind a gate/fence.
Oh, yes. They're on the side of the house, behind a fence. I think every house I've seen in the neighborhood has a side-fence where people generally keep the trash cans.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
Definitely rude. Someone tosses it in an empty bin, then you put a heavy trash bag on it, that tears their bag, now you have dogshit smeared on the inside of your trash bin.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yes.

Who puts their trash in other people's cans? Is this a city thing? I live in a suburb so I would definitely think people putting stuff in trashcans are being rude.

Trash bins are usually only taken out the evening before collection, and taken back the evening of.

I find using anyone's property without asking is rude. It's not as rude as leaving it on the ground, but it's still rude.

Yeah this too.

IMO pick up your dog's shit and then dispose of it either in a public trashcan for that purpose, or take it back to your trashcan at home.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The only time it'd be ok is it's clearly trash day and it'll be picked up before the owner of the can even notices.

soul creator

Oct 27, 2017
this kind of reminds me of a related q...if I'm taking my dog for a walk, and it just happens to go and shit in a random private yard because the grass looks nice and poopable (but I immediately always bag it up and take it back home), is that still considered rude?

My thinking is that dogs are gonna shit on grass, so people with yards kind of expect it (and trying to yank the dog away from a yard while they're about to pop a squat seems bad in a different way), but now I'm wondering. I'm a relatively new dog owner, so this question and this thread is something I never had to think about in my life before, haha.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I personally won't mind as long as it's bagged since I keep my bin outside and out of the way. If I had to keep it nearby like you in the garage and it stank up everywhere, I'd politely tell the guy no next time.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that's a weird thing to do. Throwing your trash into someone else's private trash is not regular and violates some basic rules of taking care of your own shit

Literally.

I wouldn't freaknout and I wouldn't really care but it's not a normal thing to do

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
They normally leave it in my yard, so I'd be okay with it. Aside from trash day when it's by the curb, they'd need to walk all the way up into my carport, though, which I would find a little odd.

syncover

Nov 14, 2017
USA
I pickup other people's dogs' shit at least twice a week. Also regular trash. I would absolutely love these idiots to use my bin.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
this kind of reminds me of a related q...if I'm taking my dog for a walk, and it just happens to go and shit in a random private yard because the grass looks nice and poopable (but I immediately always bag it up and take it back home), is that still considered rude?

My thinking is that dogs are gonna shit on grass, so people with yards kind of expect it (and trying to yank the dog away from a yard while they're about to pop a squat seems bad in a different way), but now I'm wondering. I'm a relatively new dog owner, so this question and this thread is something I never had to think about in my life before, haha.
As I mentioned earlier, I have been yelled at about this and would also be curious what thoughts are here. Not currently a dog owner but have been considering adoption as quarantine drags on.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I prefer people keep their dogs off my grass because even the smearing is a thing I haven't signed up for, not having a dog.
On the other hand, the City has the right to screw things over for like 6 feet up from the street in case they choose a sidewalk and THEY can make me responsible for shoveling it, so I would only give you a glare until you did pick up the doo.

MattDoza

Oct 27, 2017
Eastern WA
If they make sure it's tied tightly and the bag isn't ripped, I'm cool with it. But if that poo has a chance of coming out and just lingering in that trash can then it's pretty messed up. Also, how far is this person from home? I usually just carry the poop bag until I get home or near a public trash can.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing ruder is the weirdos that bag it and just drop the bag. I want to understand the logic.

BLOODED_hands

Oct 25, 2017
I pick up after my dog and I wait until I get back home to throw it away in the bin. I don't really care if another person drops their dogs shit off in our bin but nearly everybody in my neighborhood just lets their dog poop everywhere without picking it up. I would rather they pick up the dog poop and put it in my bin but they just leave the poop on top of the snow or on their grass. Rant over lol.

I do feel weird if I drop my dogs poop in another person's trash bin tho.

As I mentioned earlier, I have been yelled at about this and would also be curious what thoughts are here. Not currently a dog owner but have been considering adoption as quarantine drags on.

I make sure my dog poops nowhere near another person's hard. Always on the public part of the grass. If he can't help himself then I will pick up after him. I would rather pick up the poop instead of having someone step on it by accident. Then again I don't know how people would react so your mileage may vary.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How rare is it not to find a public bin on a dog walk that they probably do every day.

I think it's bad form if the bin is empty because I've done it in my own bin and it just gets mushed flat and never comes out once black bags are on top and may even pop the bag. A full bin before pick up, probably no big deal but I go back to my first point, how would you miss a bin.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Considering lots of people in this apartment complex let their dogs shit anywhere and don't pick it up, I'd consider it a step up. Waste in the place where waste disposal is supposed to take place is not an issue for me.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
This is all my opinion, obviously... When your can is on the roadside for pick-up that's city trash on the city's easement. Why would anyone care? At least they didn't leave to poop on the sidewalk... Any trash can stink, so that's just a part of keeping a can inside the garage. When I kept my cans in the garage I'd spray it with Febreeze weekly. Now my cans stay under the awning in the back of the house and I just wheel them around on trash day.

Last edited:

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
I just had a neighbor do this to me the other day - RIGHT AFTER my trash was picked up.

In the grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal, but I find it rude and isn't something I would to to my neighbors. Owning a dog means owning the responsibilities that come with it.

Dogo Mojo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a garbage can, it's made for garbage so I wouldn't care. I'd rather that happen than the assholes who let their dogs shit all over the place and leave it.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Woa. This thread - ive gone to war with my
Neighborhood cause ppl keep throwing their dog poop in my garbage. I don't need that shit. Literally. It smells! Stop it immediately, read my angry sidewalk chalk

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I pick up after my dog and I wait until I get back home to throw it away in the bin. I don't really care if another person drops their dogs shit off in our bin but nearly everybody in my neighborhood just lets their dog poop everywhere without picking it up. I would rather they pick up the dog poop and put it in my bin but they just leave the poop on top of the snow or on their grass. Rant over lol.

I do feel weird if I drop my dogs poop in another person's trash bin tho.

I make sure my dog poops nowhere near another person's hard. Always on the public part of the grass. If he can't help himself then I will pick up after him. I would rather pick up the poop instead of having someone step on it by accident. Then again I don't know how people would react so your mileage may vary.
Might have to plan my routes carefully because a lot of the area around me has no "public part of the grass" (or even proper sidewalks).

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
It's relatively small so not filling the thing up so if it's not full (And it's normally only bin days as I live off the road but still) am groovy.

Now the neighbours filling the recycling bin with stuff when they check and will reject them now, I have to put that out late nights; yeah your massive toy car is not recyclable

RomanticHeroX

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who lets the effects of having a dog spread to unwilling people is an asshole. This includes not picking up their droppings (obviously), throwing their bags in someone else's trash, having loud dogs in apartment complexes or leaving them off a leash. Not everybody likes dogs or wants to deal with them. I have an extraordinarily hairy cat and I've accepted having to deal with his shedding, but if I let him roam and get cat fur all over someone else's things I would be an asshole for doing so. Pet ownership isn't a communal responsibility.

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely not rude, so long as the trash can is close-ish to the sidewalk/street. It's a bit wild to roll deep into someone's property to use a trashcan, though.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's rude, no question about it.

In fact, there was a story about it here where someone kept doing it, got caught and ticketed.

Kodoku

Sep 20, 2019
I went with other, agreeing with folks that if full fine, but after it's empty it's rude.

Don't want to smell someones dog shit in my trash. Happened once and it was annoying. The bin sometimes goes in my garage.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yes.

Someone did this with my trash can. Except I don't really use my trash can most of the time, I rarely accumulate more than one bag of trash, so I just take the one bag to the curb for trash day.

So I had to use the trash can that week, but since garbage collection is manual (no truck that lifts and dumps the can) they only took my one bag out of the can and left the dog poop in the bottom. I had to take it out and put it in my own trash bag for it to be collected.

These days I keep it flipped upside down, in part because of that and in part so it doesn't collect a bunch of water.