• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Was it rude?

• Yes, absolutely.

Votes: 498 34.2%
  • No, not really.

Votes: 900 61.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 58 4.0%

• Total voters

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Let me preface by stating clearly I'm not "OMG PISSED OFF" and can quickly brush past it - this is FAR from the biggest issue of my day. But just asking for a general gut check from an audience.

Trash day in our neighborhood is Mon and Thur depending on your provider. For us? Thur. Wed night I roll my trash bins (one recycle, one waste) out from our closed garage and onto the end of our driveway, near the street. They're full, just like anyone else's. Thur morning sometime between 7am-10am, the collection comes, and both bins are emptied.

Thur night, I'm done with work, and I go to roll my empty bins back from the street and into my garage. As I close the top lid, I notice a smell. I glance in the bin to see that since after they were emptied, someone has decided to toss their dog's bagged-up waste into the bin.

On the one hand - I'd rather it be that than a dog shit in my yard or God-help-me and unbagged shit or something in the bin. But on the other hand, like, I don't have a dog and I don't want to smell dog shit - and now, the next day, my garage smells like shit - meaning I can either go manually try to throw the bag into another, tighter bag or just deal with it. Note that this happened right after the trash pick up - so I'm stuck with it for a week. Had it been thrown on top of my trash the night before or the morning right before pickup, I'd be ignorant and couldn't care less.

Was it rude? Should the neighbor/stranger just walked home with their shit (I'm in a secluded suburban neighborhood, so it's not like this person had more than a 1/3rd mile back to their own house); or is this a thread for nothing - it's garbage, they threw it in the garbage, why am I worried?

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. It is bad putting any rubbish in person's bin, let alone dog shit. My bin is tiny and only collected once a fortnight.

Oct 25, 2017
If it hasn't been emptied yet: perfectly ok
If it's empty and now you have dog poop stink in your garage for a week: rude

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's absolutely rude but it also isn't terribly bothersome.

Sort of like a "hey, not cool..." kinda reaction but not enough to get me really worked up.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
As long as it's properly bagged...what does it matter? I'd rather it go there than the sidewalk.

Edit: I should say, I live in a large city and there's very few sidewalk garbages near me, a lot of times there's literally no other place to put it unless I'm collecting poop inside my apartment for a week.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
I own a dog and try to just use my own bin, but honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if someone used mine. Sometimes when you're walking a dog and you're not near home or a bin, it's a pain to handle the dog and the bag and whatever else you need to do, especially during the winter when you've got thick gloves too.

It's just trash.

DarthSontin

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I only do it if the trash bins are on the street and not yet picked up. Someone once put a bag in my recycling bin after it had already been picked up. That was annoying.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
i would much prefer for it to be in my trash bin than on my sidewalk.

whatever amount of money it adds to my monthly trash bill is not worth being upset about it over.

Barzul

Oct 25, 2017
I assumed it was like the day before pickup which is fine imo. This on the other hand is kinda shitty, but better than the dog pooping in your yard and it not being picked up.

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
If the bins are out I'll toss the poop bag in there, but most people keep their bins outside their house/apartments in my neighbourhood (rather than stored in the garage)

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Throwing anything in other people's bins is kinda weird but I wouldn't care enough to say anything about it.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I store my trash cans 15-20 ft from the house near the road, so I couldn't care less.

As long as it's bagged, do your worst.

Mar 27, 2018
I voted not rude before I read the OP.

Its definitely rude because of exactly what you said. The trash was already picked up, now you get to sit with it for a week

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'd rather it go there than on the street as long as it's bagged I'm fine with it. And as long as they didn't half ass putting the lid back on.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
I have a construction dumpster in my driveway that is only a foot or so away from the sidewalk despite being pushed up to one of my garage doors. Needless to say, I won the bet with my wife that the thing was going to be full of bags of dog shit within a day of being dropped off.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't throw it in an empty bin. The baggies are easy to tie off anyway, so the odor is trapped.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
I have dogs so while I wouldn't really mind if someone did that to me I would NEVER do that to someone else. The fact that the trash was empty though...that sucks.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it's on the curb and has a garbage bag, I've thrown out quite a few things on my commute back home from the city that involved a solid 15 minute walk. I always wondered if folks found it rude but...it's a garbage can with garbage in it. I wouldn't care if my cans were exposed for people to throw stuff away in it.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
Depends on if trash has been picked up yet and the weather. If its not been collected yet, generally no problem. But if trash has just been collected, especially if it's warm to hot out, then yeah, it's rude.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
That's like the best part of walking your dog the night before trash pickup comes. Though I live in the SoCal suburbs and I don't think anyone keeps their trash bins in their garage; I might see it differently if people kept them indoors in some capacity.

Robochimp

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some a-hole in our neighborhood bags their dog poop and puts it in the curb sewer grate. So please use anyone's garbage can.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't bother me at all but then I always have cat litter in my garbage. It's not like I stand and smell my outside garbage so better than than leaving it on the ground, bagged or unbagged.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
If someone came into my garage, then yes, I'm annoyed. If it's on pickup day when my trash cans are at the end of the driveway? No, go for it. Anyone in general who doesn't pick it up is an asshole.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
If it's tied up, sure. It's better than them leaving the bag on the ground or not picking it up at all.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
If it was almost anything else it wouldn't be a big deal but they know it will stink and will be stuck there until the next garbage pick up. Absolutely an asshole move.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Shit is something I would never put in someone else's trash, anything else I wouldn't care

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If your bin is on the sidewalk and the trash collector hasn't come by, that's completely fair game (imo). Any other scenario is no bueno.