• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

RocketKiss

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I love that every other blog post is George lamenting yet another loss of the Jets or Giants. He's in a never ending spiral of finishing the book and the football losing. Hopefully he manages to find a way out soon. Poor guy.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Fuck, I almost forgot. But is he really using that as an excuse for not writing more? That's weak, and more than a little disgusting on his end.

He might have felt demoralized by the reactions, I don't think he was quite aware of how things would be seen and there was also some fud about the names issue. I mean, it's not a good feeling when you feel people are angry with you or think you're a bigot, especially since this happened at a writing-related event.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Fuck, I almost forgot. But is he really using that as an excuse for not writing more? That's weak, and more than a little disgusting on his end.

I actually get that.

When I used to write fan-fic, an event like this would make me feel bad about myself and direct my energies away from writing.

This is just stuff that happens to most writers. Depression can mess with your writing hard.

Mar 31, 2018
How you write fulltime and spend a decade on a single book?
I've heard that in 2015 The Winds of Winter was as good as finished. However, George R. R. Martin was not satisfied with the end result and scrapped the vast majority. He ended up in a depression and only worked on The Winds of Winter again after 2018, after the launch of Fire & Blood.

It is not ten years that George R. R. Martin worked on The Winds of Winter. The fact that he is so perfectionist is both a curse and a blessing.

Regarding him slowing down, I believe one of his friends died a few months ago.

How you write fulltime and spend a decade on a single book?
He hasn't been solely doing TWOW in that span. Each script for the show took a full month, for instance. He has written a number of other things, and worked on some other TV projects. And he doesn't write when he travels because he can only work in his office.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
I've heard that in 2015 The Winds of Winter was as good as finished. However, George R. R. Martin was not satisfied with the end result and scrapped the vast majority. He ended up in a depression and only worked on The Winds of Winter again after 2018, after the launch of Fire & Blood.

It is not ten years that George R. R. Martin worked on The Winds of Winter. The fact that he is so perfectionist is both a curse and a blessing.
That's still time spent writing the same book! Having to scrap a bunch of material doesn't mean he wasn't writing the same book.

And no the few side projects he's worked on aren't enough to say he hasn't ostensibly been writing fulltime on the same project for a decade.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I know that everyone is mad at him, but even in a pandemic were you depart to a cabin things can happen that affect you and stop you from writing.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Perfectionist my ass, A perfectionist would never have released something like ADWD. Nah, GRRM is just lazy, probably also depressed like you said. I also refuse to believe that whole "TWoW was finished in 2015" rumor. Sounds like more BS given its been another five years and still nothing.

Mar 31, 2018
Perfectionist my ass, A perfectionist would never have released something like ADWD. Nah, GRRM is just lazy, probably also depressed like you said. I also refuse to believe that whole "TWoW was finished in 2015" rumor. Sounds like more BS given its been another five years and still nothing.
Apparently, this information came from one of the publishers. I believe it, but I can understand that others do not believe in it.

Here is a description of how he writes the ASOIAF books (this is about writing A Dance with Dragons):
Now I can explain things. It was a confluence of many, many factors: lets start with the offer from Xaro to give Dany ships, the refusal of which then leads to Qarth's declaration of war. Then there's the marriage of Daenerys to pacify the city. Then there's the arrival of the Yunkish army at the gates of Meereen, there's the order of arrival of various people going her way (Tyrion, Quentyn, Victarion, Aegon, Marwyn, etc.), and then there's Daario, this dangerous sellsword and the question of whether Dany really wants him or not, there's the plague, there's Drogon's return to Meereen... All of these things were balls I had thrown up into the air, and they're all linked and chronologically entwined. The return of Drogon to the city was something I explored as happening at different times. For example, I wrote three different versions of Quentyn's arrival at Meereen: one where he arrived long before Dany's marriage, one where he arrived much later, and one where he arrived just the day before the marriage (which is how it ended up being in the novel). And I had to write all three versions to be able to compare and see how these different arrival points affected the stories of the other characters. Including the story of a character who actually hasn't arrived yet.

He writes several versions of each chapter, looks at the possibilities and finds out to what extent it works with the rest of the book. In the end he writes a plurally than what he uses in the end. I have to say it's quite cumbersome - he wastes a lot of time for nothing. This partly explains why it takes so long - and also the fact that he uses Wordstar 4.0 (software from the 80's) on a DOS computer. I've experienced for myself how slow typing goes on a weak laptop.

I certainly don't think A Feast and Crows and A Dance of Dragons are bad books. However, the geographical split and the POV split were not an good idea and it is a pity that due to page limitations of the publisher the Battle of Ice, Second Siege of Meereen and several chapters (Bran IV, Arianne I/II/III, Jon Connington III) have been moved to The Winds of Winter.

These two books, which I actually consider to be one whole, obviously have a lesser focus on action than A Storm or Swords. The reason is to consciously emphasize character development and setting, instead of continuous action.

George R. R. Martin sees "the human heart in conflict with itself" as the central theme of the books, that's why the last two books emphasize the mental state of the POV characters. Most people look purely at the plot when they read the books, but more important are the thoughts and internal struggles that characters have - and how their thought processes evolve. That is why the point-of-view chapters are needed. They also have a biased view of the events around them, depending on the circumstances in which they live. All this is what makes ASOIAF interesting, in my opinion. This is the heart of the book series. This is much more in the spotlight in A Feast of Crows and A Dance with Dragons.

I must say that I personally like the last two books as a whole better than the first three. I find the storylines of Jon Snow and Daenerys in ADWD much more interesting than what came before - they have administrative power and make difficult choices that have radical consequences. I like the various new POVs and the growing scope. The only POVs I didn't really like in the last two books were Arya, Victarion and Bran.

A lot happens in the last two books, the problem is that we don't know yet how everything is going to unfold. Unfortunately, we won't know until The Winds of Winter arrives. Once that book is out, I believe that A Feast of Crows and A Dance of Dragons in general will be better received, because we will have the conclusion on these events.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I bet the story of how Quentyn died will end up being known in Dorne as "he asked her hand but she laughed at him and fed him to her dragons". Everything is lined up for Dany to be seen as the worst of monsters. I bet when she defeats the slavers she'll then be left with a raging plague at the gates and as people try to force their way back in she'll have to burn them all with her dragons to save the city.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
I bet the story of how Quentyn died will end up being known in Dorne as "he asked her hand but she laughed at him and fed him to her dragons". Everything is lined up for Dany to be seen as the worst of monsters. I bet when she defeats the slavers she'll then be left with a raging plague at the gates and as people try to force their way back in she'll have to burn them all with her dragons to save the city.
You have to remember just how Daenerys will look from an optics point of view when she lands in Westeros.

On top of the dragons, her army will be comprised of: Dothraki hordes (a Westerosi child's greatest fear), the Unsullied (a slave army - slavery is considered abhorrent in Westeros) and sellsword companies of ill repute. She'll also have the evil monster Tyrion, and the convicted slaver Jorah Mormont by her side. The only person who could bring her legitimacy will be Barristan, but I firmly believe he'll turncloak to Aegon. Overall she'll be at the head of a comically villainous-looking army of terror.

Meanwhile, Aegon will likely have the entire chivalry of the South behind him, and look every bit the perfect king. If Stannis is still around, despite the foreign religion angle, he'll have an army of seasoned Southron knights and loyal northmen. Daenerys is going to have a hard time convincing the people she's the rightful queen when she's bringing an army of foreigners to destroy Westerosi armies.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You have to remember just how Daenerys will look from an optics point of view when she lands in Westeros.

On top of the dragons, her army will be comprised of: Dothraki hordes (a Westerosi child's greatest fear), the Unsullied (a slave army - slavery is considered abhorrent in Westeros) and sellsword companies of ill repute. She'll also have the evil monster Tyrion, and the convicted slaver Jorah Mormont by her side. The only person who could bring her legitimacy will be Barristan, but I firmly believe he'll turncloak to Aegon. Overall she'll be at the head of a comically villainous-looking army of terror.

Meanwhile, Aegon will likely have the entire chivalry of the South behind him, and look every bit the perfect king. If Stannis is still around, despite the foreign religion angle, he'll have an army of seasoned Southron knights and loyal northmen. Daenerys is going to have a hard time convincing the people she's the rightful queen when she's bringing an army of foreigners to destroy Westerosi armies.

Don't forget she will likely also have Iron Borns with her.

And I doubt Stannis survives, I'm thinking Melissandre will sort of lose her faith to some extent, but the rest of the red priests in Essos will support Dany. In the show it was a bit weird how Melissandre almost never spoke of Dany when she is the one with the fricking dragons and in Essos the red priests clearly supported her, I think it will play out like that, so add more "evil-doers" supporting her.

Aegon is definitely shaping up to be the hero king. I think the vision in which a man in a golden armor is facing the big guy with no head is Aegon VS the Mountain/Robert the Strong. He would likely be the boogey man of King's Landing (I'm guessing that he'll be unleashed on everyone during Cersei's trial), so not only is it fitting for Aegon to defeat the bad local monster that terrorizes everyone and especially the sparrows, but also key to his story since he defeats the Mountain who killed and raped his mother and killed his sister and had supposedly killed Aegon too. Now I doubt Aegon would actually be the one in the golden armor, it would just be said to have been him, maybe it's Jaime and no one will ever know he "defeated the great evil monster".

If things play out like in the show where she attacks KL out of being unable to win the approval of the people even after likely saving the world from whatever is up north (which people will never know of or won't believe), I think she ends up on the throne with Euron after going all evil to forcefully take King's Landing from Aegon, probably before being killed.

Bran would bodysnatch comatose Aegon and become king afterwards or something. And marries Sansa, lol. Jon must live on never being remembered as anything else than a bastard and oath breaker and potentially consort of the Mad Queen or at least a wanna-be usurper.

Last edited:

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Re-reading The Tartar Steppe, if I'm right and this book is essentially what mainly inspired GRRM's Night's Watch, then I imagine the story of Jon is going to be comparable to Drogo's (on top of being also a parallel of John the "bastard", true king of France, from Maurice Druon's The Accursed Kings, where the true king of France is only remembered as a wanna-be usurper and bastard). In The Tartar Steppe (spoilers, since I highly recommend the book, although it is extremely depressing! Read it if you are young to learn a valuable life-lesson instead!):

Drogo, like so many others who join the service to serve at The Fortress end up wasting their lives away preparing for the ever-coming invasion of the legendary Tartars, who might not even exist, and who never show up. They end up growing old, full of regrets, and then just die at the Fortress or soon after leaving it. But in Drogo's case, when the Tartars finally do invade, he is too old, too sick, to even get a glimpse of them as the fortress made up essentially of more recent young recruits rush with excitement to prepare for battle, and he is sent back to the city, dying on the way of old age.

So if there is a parallel to Jon, which might be hinted at in the show's weird "Jon didn't do anything during the Long Night", it's that Jon is propped up to be a hero, but will actually not do anything at all when the Others attack, he might not even be there to ever see one. Chances are Dolorous Edd will end up remembered as some hero of that conflict, become Lord Commander, something like that.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So with the rumors about all these other shows, I think we are getting close to an announcement I have been expecting, which is that GRRM will officially announce that he will never finish some books. Whether that's all of them, or specifically the D&E ones, who knows.

George knows he likely has few years left ahead, and either he made a lot of progress and TWOW is about to be finished and released, or it's not. If it's not, I don't think he is going to keep at it, he's not an idiot, he knows full well by now whether or not he can actually finish ASOIAF and I don't see him scribbling away until he dies. I think it is far more likely that he would want to settle whether he will finish the books or not, so that he can make better use of his remaining years. It's entirely dependent on whether he thinks he can finish TWOW and ADOS but there is no way he doesn't know if he can or not by now.

So I think that an announcement of shows covering D&E would likely be related to GRRM having had discussions about this, about officializing that those books won't be made, but not wanting to just leave it all as is and instead provide an outline for others to work with for the shows.

Whether that would also be the case for ASOIAF we'll see, but I expect some sort of announcement this year about George's intention to finish or not his books. He'll want to be able to move on if he doesn't think he can or doesn't want to keep at it and free himself of that weight. I think it would be understandable, it's his life and he probably doesn't want to waste away the remaining years writing something that won't be published just because he felt he HAD to when he didn't have it in him anymore. He lost many friends this year and has been thinking more about the past, understandably, and I think he must have had to have this discussion with himself: do I call it off or keep at it, and make the decision known.

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
GRRM is not going to announce he won't finish the series, that's crazy talk. He won't even announce that he won't write spinoffs either. He might actually want to keep using sidestuff as a way to break from the hell of writing the main series.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
I do believe that GRRM finally acknowledged that he won't be able to finish Dunk and Egg. I seem to recall him blogging that a series wouldn't happen because he has more books to be written, and now it is happening. I'm sure the process of writing Winds coupled with the rise and fall of the HBO series was very humbling for him. I don't believe he will ever give up on finishing ASOIAF though.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2018
Well, I can't imagine George being able to finish all the books he had planned either. He's already fairly old and his writing process is not that ideal, to be honest. He creates multiple different versions of certain chapters ( using different POV's) to experiment what works best, furthermore the different versions often have different events as well (for example: in one version Quentyn arrives too early for Daenerys' marriage proposal, in another too late) and from these options he figures out what works best for the rest of the story. Every little change affects the rest of the story (the butterfly effect). George creates many versions of a given chapter, and only one of them will end up in the final book. It should not surprise me that he has rewritten certain chapters many times.

An overview of the books he wishes to write:
- A Song of Ice and Fire has (hopefully) two more books to go (but it may be that a third book will be needed with the Second Dance of Dragons and the war against the Others, both of which have yet to begin).
- For Dunk & Egg, George planned to cover the entire life of Aegon V and his death in Summerhall. He still needs to describe some 47 years of his life in the planned three to nine books in the series. The fourth book was almost finished according to George (She-Wolves of Winterfell), but he was considering writing another book preceding it, I read somewhere (The Village Hero?).
- Fire & Blood: He fully described the reign of 6 kings in volume 1 and the regency under Aegon III. In addition to the rest of his reign, he planned to describe 10 more kings, ending with the fall of the Targaryen dynasty. All this should be done in a second volume, but I would not be surprised if a third volume is needed.

As much as I like Fire & Blood and Dunk & Egg, A Song of Ice and Fire is George's priority anyway. I expect The Winds of Winter this year (possibly on the 25th of May or August). It will be a big book - I wouldn't be surprised if it were as big as A Feast of Crows and A Dance with Dragons combined. That's how many chapters it will probably take to get Daenerys into Westeros, Sansa away from the Eyrie, Arya away from Braavos and Aegon VI on the Iron Throne to confront Daenerys, among other things.

However, the spin-offs are much easier to write because you have one chronology and not dozens of overarching storylines from multiple perspectives. If he didn't have other and more important projects, I wouldn't be surprised if George R. R. Martin could finish the Dunk & Egg series in no more than three years. But A Dream of Spring is prioritized and that will definitely not be an easy project. As for Fire & Blood, the work may be largely taken over by Elio M. García Jr. and Linda Antonsson, based on many of George's notes.

But I do believe that George R. R. Martin decided to have Dunk & Egg filmed because of the reasonably uncertain fate of that book series. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he will stop working on the spin-offs. He just wants to make sure people still get a final conclusion should the worst happen.

Dunk & Egg is not that difficult to adapt, except for the fact that there is little material available yet. Coming up with new material is also less difficult than what was the case for Game of Thrones. One can easily create new adventures in Dorne or Oldtown (with maester Aemon), which happened off-page in the book series. The story structure and general flow is also much easier. I believe the showrunners will also have more experience than was the case with Game of Thrones.

It is House of the Dragon in particular that concerns me, in part because of the lack of dialogue that Fire & Blood has. But based on the audition tapes, we can assume that they plan to use unused material from A Song of Ice as a basis. Think of dialogues of Arianne and Arys from the ASOIAF books for scenes between Criston and Rhaenyra.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Eh random made up mushroom sex stuff being treated as canon is exactly what I dont want

1st rhaenrya actually doing stuff with christon beyond a child's crush bad

Next sara snow
Daemon with nettles and lesbian jeyne arryn getting eaten out by her nephew

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So I've been thinking:

Dragonbinder is how Valyrians could control dragons. By default, dragons are NOT controllable by humans. You need to literally skinchange into one to control it, keeping their "true" mind at bay.
So how it works is: you need to find someone very loyal to yourself and have them blow the horn.
Like a fire-wight, their mind erodes and only what animated them in life remains, their "fire", like Lady Stoneheart.

Dany's three dragons are actually her three blood riders who were killed while Mirri Maz Duur was casting her spell.

It's why the less Dany is true to being a Khal, the less control she has over her dragons, and why Drogon has brought her back to the Dothraki Sea: She must become a Khal once more to regain the loyalty of her dragons.

Aegon V likely wanted to either sacrifice Duncan the Tall or Rhaegar to have his own loyal dragon. A parent-child or a lover relationship could work to have a loyal dragon.

Victarion will totally screw Euron, he'll either blow the horn himself, or find someone to blow it for him, but it has to be someone loyal and I don't see many candidates unless her manages to get the mute woman to be loyal to himself, which is dangerous since she is clearly loyal to Euron.

I think Cersei will end up at Casterlyrock soon enough, probably for her own safety, desperate, and Victarion will have gotten himself his dragon, screwing Euron, who will now marry Cersei.

Daenerys will land in the west of Westeros as was likely originally the plan with her circumventing Planetos before George scrapped the time skip. Casterlyrock was never conquered by the Targs because of a prophecy that said Casterlyrock's gold would ruin them. Aegon has the south and east. In the show, they had Dany take Dragonstone but there was no Aegon, but they also had her attack Casterlyrock which is weird because it's on the whole other side. I think it was to try and stay true to GRRM's plan. Tyrion will convince her to land there for personal and strategic reasons.

Victarion chokes Cersei to death (he's the valonqar; Cersei was a fool to think it was her brothers and ruined her life in thinking so, and she will quickly think it can't be Tyrion when she finds out he hasn't been hiding in the walls since he's in Essos, which means she will think it's Jaime). The Dany-Victarion power couple, while spooky, get some popular cred for having killed the monster mash couple. Although I wouldn't be surprised that Victarion and/or the dragon dies.

Cue the dance of the dragons, as all that is left is Aegon.

Tyrion now realizes that it's one thing to play the game of cyvasse, it's another to dictate another player's moves. He ends up with the exact fate Aegon had in their game of cyvasse, with Dany flipping the board over and him picking up the pieces.

I know people love Euron, but I think GRRM is going to make the anti-trop of the bad guy who reads all the evil books and becomes a god: he gets a nuke to the face by his dumb brother no one expected to become loyal to himself and STFU.

OP
OP
louisacommie

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
All the dance material is like, true born targaryen either it hatched for me as a baby or I just walked up to the dragon and they where friendly"

With things getting complicated for the seeds

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
If ASOIAF were to get a new animated adaption, how would you all feel about anime-style internal dialogue?
That medium often uses it as a crutch, and it tends to take the subtly out of stories. Ice and Fire has fucking amazing internal dialogue though, so maybe it could be used sparingly.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If ASOIAF were to get a new animated adaption, how would you all feel about anime-style internal dialogue?
That medium often uses it as a crutch, and it tends to take the subtly out of stories. Ice and Fire has fucking amazing internal dialogue though, so maybe it could be used sparingly.

They could have some internal monologue, if any, it's not essential. They could even have a narrator from time to time. What I think is more important is really to follow the visual as described in the books and a more literal adaptation of the story as it is in the books. We don't need to have an episode of Areo Hota's internal monologue as he stares at Doran.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Why does it make so much sense that Jon is Ned and Ashara's son, and Aegon is Lyanna and Rhaegar's?

1- Ned gets Ashara pregnant, and he doesn't know it.

2- Rhaegar needs a third child, because "the dragon has three heads" really means "you can kill the dragon twice, a third head remains"; he knows two of his kids will be killed and he needs a third one.

3- He says literally "his song is the song of ice and fire", which leads him to pick Lyanna.

4- Ashara, being the sister of Arthur, is requested to give up her child to be used as a decoy. It's a duty of theirs to save the heir from potential assassination plots (just like in Maurice Druon's The Accursed Kings which was the main inspiration for GRRM, where baby John king of France is swapped with a bastard to protect him from an assassination plot, but the plot succeeds in front of everyone so they can never swap him back). As soon as Lyanna gives birth to the child, the maid swaps the baby with Ashara's. Lyanna might not even see the child until days later due to her birth complications. She never realizes the child was swapped.

5- The reason Lyanna and the kingsguards are left hanging around at the Tower of Joy is a ruse, it's to attract Robert/Ned/Whoever would come for Lyanna, and hence the baby, in case the Targs lost the war. Which works exactly as predicted.

6- Lyanna believes the child is hers and asks Ned to protect it. The name is Aegon, because for Rhaegar the child is a replacement for the other Aegon, he's a backup; he's not a bastard, he doesn't need to annul his marriage to Elia, the child is automatically the true heir to the throne because for all anyone knows he IS Aegon and survived the sack of King's Landing, just as Young Griff's story claims.

7- Ned goes to Starfall to return Arthur's sword, and Ashara realizes that she can't get her child back now that the Targs did lose the war because it would expose the decoy plot, and she can't tell Ned the truth. She leaves with Rhaegar's child, under a supposed suicide.

Everything makes perfect sense under that scenario, and it's why Jon looks straight up like a Stark and Aegon looks like a Targ.

And that will put Bran in a very interesting position when he finds out the truth. He would chose to not reveal the truth to Jon, rather make Jon and Daenerys believe he is the heir to the throne to pitch him against Daenerys.

And you know what seals the deal? Jon did exactly that with Gilly's baby! He is guilty of doing the same!

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I thought the bump would've been about GRRM's blog post from yesterday. Guess people don't care about how much he wrote last year. lol

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Remember when before S8 I said we would find out Daenerys isn't actually a Targaryen when Bran would reveal something only she knew to prove to her his powers are real and hence that his claim about Jon is true?

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Total tinfoil from me but I think it's true.

Moqorro is Marwyn with a glamor. And he is about to bring Daenerys the greatest gift of all: Khal Drogo. The spell Marwyn is casting is him looking for Drogo's soul, which he will put in Victarion's body. When Moqorro is casting the spell, George is no longer writing as a POV, as if Victarion's soul was gone for those hours he was not seen.

Daenerys' new Khalasar will be led by Khal Drogo and his ships across the poison sea.

Daenerys had specifically asked "When will he be as he was?" He will be back, not as he was.

You're not getting the khalasar across the poison sea without him.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So Daenerys is a skinchanged Ashara who forgot who she was.

My question is, what was the goal? Whether Ashara was told to fly or die or did this herself or whatever, what is the point? The dragons/Targs are "shadowing" her memory, every time she is starting to remember she lived in Starfall the dragons threaten her and she becomes Daenerys again. Only Quaithe is actually trying to help her remember. What's going on?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Damn, was catching up om Not a Blog, and George lost another close friend last week to the coronavirus. He did get his first vaccine shot though.