• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a little less than halfway through Book 4 for over a year. Everything time I go back I quit after a chapter of two. Comparatively I flew through the first three novels in less than a couple months.
Definitely read 4 and 5 together. There are a few different reading orders that arrange the chapters chronologically.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
It's an odd book 'cus the third one really feels like the final book in a trilogy and the fourth feels like the first in a new trilogy but it also has a bunch of missing characters that people love. I love the book but it is a bit hard to really get into, especially coming right off a Storm of Swords.

So far I don't get the love for book Euron at all. I don't know, maybe it's because room in my heart for religious zealots is limited.

Definitely read 4 and 5 together. There are a few different reading orders that arrange the chapters chronologically.

Hmm. Links? Typically I'd save something like for a re-read, but yeah....

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
So far I don't get the love for book Euron at all. I don't know, maybe it's because room in my heart for religious zealots is limited.

Hmm. Links? Typically I'd save something like for a re-read, but yeah....
I enjoy book Eruon becaus he's really ominous. In the show he is just a loudmouth asshole who is a great captain but in the book he is downright scary. When he said he has seen a lot of things but the White Walkers were the first to truly scare him, that would've carried more weight if he was more like the book Euron since that guy really has seen some shit.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

There's more to him than meets the surface. He starts heavily hinting at his connections to the larger plot as you read more about him and he has a greater plan in motion. He's basically a horror villain pretending he's just a pirate though and some people fall into the trap that he is what he's pretending to be.

The veil only flies open in the new sample Ironborn chapter in TWOW.

He's a mix of Lucifer, Randall Flagg, Saruman, Jack Sparrow and Nyarlathotep.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
So here's something interesting. Here's the season 7 preliminary outlines from the big HBO hack. There were some major differences from what we ended up with:

Intro
While Season 7 was airing, one of the things that leaked was a "Preliminary Outline" for the season dated April 26 2016 (sample screenshot), as well as a shorter series of "Episode Summaries" in bullet-point form (sample screenshot). Now that Season 7 is over, I thought it'd be worth it to go through these outlines and write down the most interesting things I noticed: differences from the aired episodes, intriguing descriptions, amusing lines and references, details that weren't made explicit in the show, etc. There's only a couple minor things which may be relevant to Season 8, but no major spoilers or anything. And at the end of the day, these are just old outlines, so none of this is canon. The Preliminary Outline says it's "For planning purposes only."

Note: I'm not sure what date the Episode Summaries are from (it's not listed unlike the Preliminary Outline) but I think they must be more recent because they're more accurate to the aired episodes than the Preliminary Outline. For reference, April 26 2016, the date on this draft of Season 7's Preliminary Outline, is two days after the premiere of Season 6, and over four months before Season 7 filming began.

Also, the Preliminary Outline is 127 pages, while the Episode Summaries only amount to 31 pages. Most of this post will be about the Preliminary Outline because it's more detailed and there are more differences. But I'm not listing every little discrepancy because that's just not possible for a single post. And I'm not including stuff in the Episode Summary section if it's already covered by the Preliminary Outline section.

Episode 701
Preliminary Outline
  • The cold open was the Army of the Dead marching and Bran arriving at Castle Black, with Arya impersonating Walder Frey being the first scene after the Title Sequence. Weiss did say Arya's scene wasn't initially the cold open.

• There are "Dozens" of White Walkers, and the Army of the Dead is described as "one hundred thousand strong." (Dany said "A hundred thousand at least" in the show.)

• Jon giving orders to prepare the North: "We see that Davos is impressed with the young king's ability. Jon is good at this stuff. He's a natural leader. We can tell that the northern lords, even tough little Lyanna, agree. Jon is their king. They might not always agree with him, but they know he was the right choice, the only man who can lead them all."

• It seems like actor Timothy Spall was originally planned to be Archmaester Ebrose:
While the ARCHMAESTER EBROSE(Timothy Spall) removes organs, Sam watches curiously.

In any event, Timothy Spall destroys John Bradley in this debate. Just vanquishes him. The scene ends with Samwell apparently acquiescing to the Archmaester's wisdom.

• Sam and Gilly: "They read about the Long Night and the first war against the Night King, about the lost art of Valyrian steel and the Children of the Forest."
  • Mel was already at Dragonstone, and spied on Dany's arrival:
As she walks we pan over to the great rocks by the shore. Standing in the shadow of one of them, her red cloak stirring in the wind, is MELISANDRE, watching the princess who was promised returning to town.

[N.B A fire element maybe added to scene to jog our memory of Melisandre].

• Regarding Dragonstone: "We see rooms we didn't have the time to build in earlier seasons."
[paste:font size="6"]Episode 702
Preliminary Outline[/paste:font]

• Varys' spy network: "He provides a caveat that his intelligence network is not what it once was – hard to cultivate little birds while living in exile."
    • Mel told Dany and Co. that Ice and Fire need to create something to win the Great War:
From Mel, Dany hears about the great conflict to come for the first time. The Night King, the Army of the Dead. They are real and they are coming. Mel says that Jon Snow, the King in the North, will be crucial in the Great War. And that War will only be won if Ice and Fire come together to create—

"Lukewarm water?" Tyrion asks. He knows Jon Snow. He traveled with him to the Wall. How did a bastard and Night's Watch recruit become King in the North?

• Mel told Dany and Co. that Jon is TPTWP and that she resurrected him:
It's a long story, Melisandre says. But he is the Prince that is promised. She knows this to be true, because with the Lord of Light's blessing she brought Jon back from the dead.

An awkward silence. None of the people in the room believe in resurrection. Death is death, lady. But Melisandre says there's an easy way to know: look at his scars and see if you believe someone could survive the wounds Jon Snow suffered.

• Mel received word from Kinvara, her boss, to do whatever she could to help Dany take the Iron Throne:
I don't want to see you on that throne because it was your father's. I want to see you crowned because you are the best hope this country has.

Melisandre agrees. Kinvara, her boss, sent word to do whatever she could to help Dany take the Throne. Jon Snow can help. He has the loyalty of his people. He is the first man in history to unite the wildlings and the Northerners.

• "Olenna is intent on rebuilding her family. Cersei stole her future but there are still young Tyrell men, some of them quite handsome. The best way to forge an alliance is with marriage. Queen Daenerys will need a King, no?" I can see why this was cut. It's inconsistent with Olenna saying "Survival is not what I'm after now" in S6E10. Also, what young Tyrell men? Those last two lines could be foreshadowing for Jon though.
    • Jaime and Bronn had a sparring scene in which Bronn said "He really was a cunt, wasn't he?" after asking what Joffrey named his sword.
    • Apparently there was a scene cut from S6E7 where Jorah went to Volantis and was told he couldn't be cured (Dany commanded him to find a cure in S6E5):
Repurposing the cut 607 scene in Volantis, the Maester says that Jorah's case is terminal and there's no hope of a cure.

• Jon had a farewell scene with Ghost:
GHOST is also there to see Jon off. He's not going on this adventure. "Look after anyone named Stark, boy!" Jon tells his dire wolf pal.

Jon turns in his saddle, sees Sansa standing up there, raises his hand and flashes that smile that wins him the hearts of Icelandic models and Scottish baronesses.

Cogman said they actually shot a Jon/Ghost goodbye scene, but it didn't make it in.

• Part of the sea battle:
Euron faces off with Obara and Nym. Grrrl Power!

Euron kills them both. Boy Power!

Ironborn fights Ironborn. Yara cuts down a number of her countrymen. Theon has his mojo back! He fights back to back with Yara. The Greyjoys rock!

Ellaria fights bravely but she's not really a warrior. Tyene is, though. She fights with her two knives and all the skill of an experienced stunt double.

Episode Summary

• Missandei and Grey Worm: "They both end up naked in bed and we end on Missandei's face experiencing a pleasure unlike anything she's known before."
Episode 703
Preliminary Outline

• Jon and Davos met Dany and Tyrion at the Dragonstone gate. Dany mistook Davos for the King in the North, and when Davos corrected her (after kissing the hand she offered) she turned to Jon and said "Oh. But he's a midget." Then she looked at Tyrion and said "No offense." (It seems this became the "He's too little for me" "I didn't mean-" dialogue in S7E6.)
    • It's specified Mel will return to "the holy temple": "She will return to Essos, to the holy temple. The Lord of Light wills it. She has fulfilled her duty to him. She has brought Ice and Fire together."
    • Instead of saying she and Varys will die in Westeros, Mel rattled him by saying "The Lord of Light has guided you too, Spider, though you do not know it."
    • "Cersei starts to tear off Jaime's clothes. He tries to remove hers but she stops him – she's doing all the work this time. She strips him naked and sinks to her knees. Jaime flashes the ass that got him the cover of Men's Health, and Jaime Lannister is the first man in Westerosi history to get blown by the queen."
    • "Theon stares up at the blaring hot sun overhead. He's ready to die.

But Theon's not that lucky."
    • "Cersei is asleep in Jaime's arms and Jaime looks at her. He couldn't be happier in this moment – even Cersei looks happy in her sleep, dreaming sweet dreams about torturing her enemies."
    • "Cersei informs Tycho she has made an alliance with Euron Greyjoy and has just destroyed a key part of Daenerys' coalition. Dorne will descend into chaos as the remaining houses fight amongst themselves for control of the region."

The Preliminary Outline for 702 also mentioned that "These Dornish houses will follow Ellaria for the time being, but Dorne is unpredictable, the Dornish hot-blooded."
    • Tyrion trying to convince Dany to let Jon mine the dragonglass:
Dany needs to be convinced about Jon too. Tyrion reminds his queen that Jon rose up from nothing, just like her. He wasn't born thinking he would be a king; it was so far out of the realm of possibility that he didn't even dream it.

But when the call came, he answered.

• "Jon looks back at the dragons and recalls stories his Old Nan told him as a child: stories of direwolves, stories of dragons. All the fairy tales he never dared believe were true, but wanted to be true... and now they are. This is a new age, and he and Dany are on the front lines of it."
    • Jon and Dany's conversation had another bit at the end:
But then he turns back.

JON: "Back at Winterfell, my sister Sansa and all my bannermen and advisors told me not to come here. They said you'd never let me leave."

DANY (no smile): "Maybe they were right."

She's joking. At least... he thinks she's joking

• Bran had a vision montage before his talk with Sansa:
Then his eyes roll back in his head, and we FLASH to a Bran VISION montage, images flying by in quick succession:

Bran falling from the tower (ep 101)

Jon kissing sleeping Bran on the forehead, saying goodbye (ep 102)

Ned saying goodbye to Jon: "The next time we see each other, we'll talk about your mother. I promise." (ep 102)

Jon facing down the Night King at Hardhome (ep 508)

Ned facing off against Arthur Dayne: "Now it begins. Now it ends." (ep 603)

Lyanna and Ned in the Tower of Joy – Lyanna handing Ned baby Jon. "Promise me, Ned." (ep 610)

Jon rising as he is hailed 'King in the North!'

• Before talking about the war, Dany looked at Winterfell on the map and asked Tyrion if Jon had started mining, and said to make sure he has everything he needs. Tyrion noted Dany thinking about Jon.
    • "Dany asks Varys if his little birds in Dorne have reported anything. "They have not sung yet, my queen, but they will." Varys surmises that, unfortunately, with Ellaria and the rest of Doran Martell's killers dead, Dorne will likely descend into chaos. There are four or five major houses there, each with a legitimate claim to rule. Their own civil war will occupy them for the time being."
    • Casterly Rock was described closer to the book: "It's an impressive sight, carved out of a colossal stone rock beside the sea." Also, the Unsullied entered through the Lion's Mouth, "a large gate with stone lions on each side."
    • The battle for Casterly Rock was much more anticlimactic, with no fighting whatsoever. As Tyrion narrated the great resistance the Unsullied would face, it cut to Grey Worm encountering either no resistance or a few soldiers who immediately surrendered. However before all this there's a note saying these scenes will be revised, with a short paragraph describing what basically happened in the show instead.
    • There was a short montage of fighting at Highgarden:
MONTAGE OF BLOODSHED - DAY

Unlike the Tullys, the Tyrells do not go quietly — we see quick beats of the same nature and duration as the Sons of the Harpy killing the Freedmen sequence in Season 5.

• After Olenna confessed: "Part of Jaime wants to draw his sword and kill the old bitch then and there. But he doesn't. The poison will do its work soon enough." Before leaving, Jaime got the final word by pointing out that Joffrey died in the arms of a mother who loved him, whereas Olenna is going to die alone, her family dead.
Episode Summary

• "In Dragonstone, Dany discusses with everyone what to do now that Ellaria Sand is dead - Dorne will descend into chaos and be divided therefore it's of no use to them."

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Here's episode 4-7:
Episode 704
Preliminary Outline
  • I wouldn't count on Meera showing up again: "Meera stands, heartbroken. The Bran she loved died in that cave. Bran doesn't contradict her. She turns and walks out of the room out of his life, and out of the series." Also, actress Ellie Kendrick recently said she hasn't been notified about returning, and filming for Season 8 has already begun.

• Bran had a second vision montage after Littlefinger handed him the dagger, which ended with Bran seeing Jaime push him out the window:
Bran continues to gaze at the Valyrian dagger... and his eyes roll back in his head for a BRAN VISION MONTAGE:

Tyrion defending himself to CATELYN in the Vale (ep 105)

"I had nothing to do with the attempt on your son's life!"

CATELYN giving the dagger to Littlefinger and Varys (ep 103)

"There's only one dagger like this in King's Landing. It's mine."

SER RODRIK examining the dagger in the godswood (ep 102)

"The blade is Valyrian steel. The hilt dragonbone."

The ASSASSIN attempting to kill Bran with the dagger; Catelyn fighting him off; SUMMER saving the day (ep 102)

And, lastly, the final moments of episode 101. Bran stands in the tower observing the familiar scene as it plays out. He is finally able to see what happened – and who pushed him from that tower. He watches as his younger self is discovered by Jaime; watches as Jaime utters "the things I do for love"; watches as Jaime shoves him out—

• The smaller area of the dragonglass cave "can (conveniently) only fit two." Jon extended his hand to help Dany down: "She regards it for a beat – she doesn't need his help – but takes it anyway." Jon mentioned his friend Sam, saying he'd probably be able to tell them exactly what the markings on the wall mean.

• Arya wanted Bran to use his powers to find out who wanted him dead. "He calmly tells her he doesn't care who wanted him dead, because that man doesn't matter. Her list doesn't matter, Winterfell doesn't matter, House Stark doesn't matter. Only the war to come."

• Bran is described as "possibly the single most magical being on the planet."

• "Jon is surprised to see Theon, but not as much as Theon is to see Jon. From Jon's face, Theon realizes he was right not to go to Castle Black with Sansa."

• "Jon says he thought Theon died in Euron's attack, and Jon's tone says that it wasn't an unpleasant thought. Theon acknowledges he should have died, but here he is. Story of his life."

• At the Loot Train Battle there were half a dozen ballistas in addition to Bronn's. Drogon immediately clawed the arrow away once he was hit.

• The battle was staged on and around a bridge, "the only one across the river for miles." Jaime saw the tail end of the train was lost, so "He circles the remaining wagons around the entrance to the bridge, like Old West settlers against the Apaches."

• "Jaime and Bronn know they're fucked. Thanks to the Dothraki and Dany, the loot train on one side of the bridge is a morass of burning wagons and screaming men. But like the Viking who held Stamford Bridge against the Saxons, Jaime is determined to buy the wagons behind them enough time to get into the city."

• Drogon blasted the wagon cordon apart, letting the Dothraki in. Jaime and Bronn fell back to the center of the bridge, but Drogon landed on the other side. "The Lannisters have a choice: Dothraki, or dragon. The smart soldiers dive into the Blackwater River. The smarter soldiers do so and know how to swim. The smartest soldiers realize that knowing how to swim and being able to swim in armor are two different things, and surrender."

• Jaime and Dany locked eyes. Dany "can guess who he is: the man who stabbed her father in the back." Behind Dany, Jaime saw the last wagons heading toward the city, so to keep Dany from turning her attention to them, he charged at her as a distraction. "Drogon opens his toothy maw and coils back. No flame, he wants some Lannister tartare." Bronn tackled Jaime over the side of the bridge, the rapids rushing them away as Bronn held them underwater. Drowned men floated alongside them, and Jaime saw living soldiers trapped on the riverbed by their armor, "beseeching him for a help he can't give, as they drown."

(Note: Throughout the battle there's a note beneath the scene headings saying "[BRIDGE ELEMENT TO BE REMOVED IN FORTHCOMING REVISIONS]")

• As Tyrion witnessed this, it's mentioned that "He loves Dany, he wants her to win the Iron Throne." There are later hints that this outline was aiming for romantic love more than platonic love.
Episode Summary
  • "Arrows whiz towards Dany, Drogon belly rolls to protect her - the arrows bouncing off of his scales like Nerf darts." Some people wondered if Dany was responsible for Drogon's defensive maneuver or if Drogon did that on his own. In this summary at least it was the latter.

• It's specified that reloading the scorpion is "a job for two men" (not that this stops Bronn from reloading in time of course).

• "Dany can tell that the bolt hit Drogon in a place that hasn't done any real damage."

• "Jaime can see this happening and realizes that they are just a few hundred yards away, distracted and vulnerable. He could win this war in a single run. The elegiac shots make one thing clear to us: one of our favorite characters is about to die. But which one?"
Episode 705
Preliminary Outline
  • Bronn questioned how Jaime was planning on killing a dragon. Jaime said by stabbing it through the eye and into its brain, or by cutting its throat with his Valyrian steel sword.

• Tyrion tried to persuade Randyll by pointing out that he fought for Dany's father during the Rebellion, and handed Robert his only defeat. Randyll echoed a line from Ned in S1, saying: "I'm a soldier. I learned how to die a long time ago."

• An interesting transition:
The Bad News Ravens take flight from Winterfell for every corner of the Seven Kingdoms. And we go from a raven's wing...

... to a dragon's wing, as Drogon brings Dany back to Dragonstone.

• Jon had an encounter with all three dragons:
Jon watches Dany and Drogon wheeling in the sky, approaching their Dragonstone landing pad. Behind him, Rhaegal leaps down to meet his mother and brother, landing too close to Jon. Viserion joins him. They notice Jon, and meet his gaze.

The two dragons close in on Jon, trying to decide what to make of him: friend? Foe? Meal? Jon stands his ground, staring into Rhaegal's eye. Rhaegal appears to be leaning toward the latter. But Drogon lands with Dany on his back, and the other dragons make way for him as he approaches Jon and leans in to sniff him.

Every nerve in Jon's body screams to run, but instead he sticks out his hand, and touches the creature's muzzle.

Drogon decides Jon is OK. A look from Drogon brings each of his brothers around to the same opinion.

Impressed, Dany dismounts. "You didn't run."

"Didn't think I'd get very far."

• I don't quite know what to make of this Jon/Dany conversation:
This leads into a scene with Dany and Jon. On screen or off screen, she gives him a censored version of the events on the Kingsroad, leaving out the part about roasting the Tarlys alive. She only tells him that many former Lannister loyalists lined up behind their rightful Queen, hint hint. Half-joking, Dany points out that, for one, she has dragons. Let's be honest, if this whole Army of the Dead is as flammable as they say, whoever has the fire-breathing dragons should probably be Queen. Jon laughs. He doesn't think the throne should go to the person with the most dragons, necessarily. Why not? she wants to know. Dragons are magic. People like magic. A big part of the reason they named Jon King in the North was because he was magic. Jon protests; that wasn't the reason. But Dany keeps needling him. "Admit it. People like you because you're magic." "I'm not magic." "You are! Rising from the dead is magic, and you rose from the dead. Allegedly." "What?" "I never saw you rise from the dead. Lots of people saw me walk from the flames unburned. More than once, actually. But this 'rising from the dead'... it was a very private affair."

Jon offers to show her the scars. She sure wouldn't mind seeing them – but she doesn't take the bait. It's cold out. She wouldn't want him to get sick.

Jon calls her "Dany", without any of her numerous titles. And she's a little taken aback, but also likes it. "No one's ever called me that before." "I'm sorry, it's just... well, Daenerys is a mouthful."

I'm not sure if this was meant to be serious dialogue or if whoever wrote this was just having some fun. In the Preliminary Outline for 702, Mel did tell Dany that Jon had been resurrected, but there was nothing more on this in the outlines for 703 and 704, which weren't much different from the aired episodes where Mel didn't mention that. So the above dialogue in 705 feels very out of place.

Perhaps in an earlier draft Jon and Dany had become much closer by this point, and the Jon/Dany stuff in 703 and 704 had since been rewritten, but not the stuff in 705 yet, nor the mention of the resurrection in 702.

• "And up the beach comes Jorah, seeing Dany with yet another handsome fellow who's not Jorah."

• Dany trying to prevent Jon from going on the wight hunt: "Jon's and Dany's argument has the undertone of a woman trying to keep her man from venturing into harm's way, a fact not lost on Jorah or Tyrion."

"Jon brings Davos around to his way of seeing things, even as Davos bemoans his own fate as the Hand of a King who seems hell-bent on killing himself. Eventually, Dany realizes that Jon is going no matter what she says, and she can't help but respect him for it."

• Ebrose told Sam about the death of his father:
Sam knows he has lost. These fucking guys. As he's about to leave, the Archmaester calls out to Sam: "Heard the Targaryen girl burnt your father alive. Horrible thing, horrible thing. Where's that book you were getting for me?"

• "In the Forbidden Works section, Sam grabs as many scrolls as he can. The Librarian from 610 (or another maester) tries to stop him but Samwell Tarly killed a Thenn and a White Walker, and shoves the dork out of the way."

• "Davos wants to know for which side Gendry intended to fight. Gendry's not sure: they all seem pretty horrible. Davos agrees, but he's found the least horrible of them. His king might even be a great one – if Gendry cares to fight for the right side? Gendry grabs his hammer and helm. No need to ask twice."

• Glover and Royce talking to Sansa: "She has done a fine job, as would be expected of Ned Stark's trueborn daughter, while Jon Snow followed his brother's course and took off with a foreign woman."

• Gendry may be the future of House Baratheon: "Gendry's true parentage would actually matter to the people at Dragonstone. After all, with Stannis dead, who is now Lord Baratheon? Who is lord of Storm's End?"

• Jon and Dany's beach farewell: "Jon and Dany have to say a private goodbye in a public space."

"Dany hopes it works. If it doesn't, Jon asks them all to try to convince Cersei anyway. He doesn't matter, his life doesn't matter, this is all that matters. Dany is moved by his selflessness."

• "Cersei doesn't believe the ridiculous raven they just got from Winterfell about the Army of the Dead. Like Stalin getting reports of 3 million Nazis massing on his western border, she assumes it's all enemy propaganda meant to trick her."

• "Cersei doesn't care about the public. She doesn't care about anything but Jaime, and this little life growing inside her. After all, the public accepted Targaryen brother-sister marriages for centuries. They will do as they please, and the little people will get used to it."

• The Brotherhood arrived at Eastwatch after Jon and Co. explained the mission to Tormund. "Tormund is not happy to have another red priest up in their business, but Jon convinces them that the more red shirts in their party, the better."

• "The gate to the tunnel is raised. Our band of brave, if hostile, warriors passes through the Wall, heading into the Great Wight North."
Episode Summary
  • After Dany dismounts Drogon in front of Jon: "He watches her watching her dragons and wishes that he could keep looking at her and forget about the world events weighing on his shoulders."

• "When Jorah says goodbye to Dany she tells him that he's now Lord Commander of the Queensguard."

• "Jon and Dany say their goodbyes and Dany tells Jon that she admires what he's doing, it's reckless and foolish but she admires it."
Episode 706
Preliminary Outline
Note: The outline for this episode is kind of a mess compared to the others. It was clearly in the middle of being revised. Many of the scenes beyond the Wall have a note beneath the scene heading saying "[FORTHCOMING REVISIONS WILL SEE" followed by a list of changes to be made. Sometimes these changes have already been made to the outline (but not always consistently from scene to scene), sometimes they haven't, and sometimes stuff to be removed is still in there but it's been struck out, like so. So it's somewhat of a mishmash of different versions of the plot. Keep that in mind.

• Brienne and Pod were originally on the wight hunt. Beneath the very first scene heading there's a note saying "[BRIENNE AND POD CUT FROM SCENE IN FORTHCOMING REVISIONS]". They aren't mentioned in the first scene where everyone just talks, but they do appear from the wight bear scene onward, although their names are crossed out.

• Jon and Beric: "They also discuss how pieces of you get chipped away with every resurrection. Jon doesn't want that."

• Gendry and the Hound: "They can also talk about Arya."

• Originally, Jon wasn't part of the wight hunt, and Brienne was wounded by the bear instead of Thoros. The note beneath the second scene heading reads: "[FORTHCOMING REVISIONS WILL SEE JON ADDED TO THIS SCENE AND BRIENNE AND POD CUT. THOROS WILL BE WOUNDED BY THE BEAR RATHER THAN BRIENNE, THOUGH HIS INJURIES WILL NOT BE AS SEVERE.]"

• Plot armor: "A truly terrifying fight ensues, in which a non-player or two gets killed, but not so many as to call attention to the slightly silly fact that none of our principals are going to die in this episode."

• Tyrion and Dany didn't talk about heroes or Jon's love for her.

• The group reached a vantage point where they saw the entire Army of the Dead standing still in a valley, including "more White Walkers than we've ever seen before."

• Benjen helped Gendry make it to Eastwatch:
Gendry is running for Eastwatch but is exhausted and freezing, and finally slips and collapses in the cold. A set of horse hooves enter frame, and Coldhands carries him to Eastwatch fast. Then Coldhands heads back to the battle.

Gendry comes tearing into Eastwatch, half dead. BORCAS with his carbuncle-nose asks him what happened, but he doesn't have time for exposition. "Get the Maester. We need to send a raven.

"BORCAS with his carbuncle-nose" is a reference to a Maester Aemon line from S1E7: "Dareon, we are sending you to Eastwatch. Present yourself to Borcas when you arrive. Make no comment about his nose."

• The scene where Sansa sends Brienne away is still here. Evidently this would have been added in after they decided to cut Brienne from the wight hunt.

• It's heavily implied the Night King set a trap:
The Night King smiles at them, turns and walks away. It's hard to shake the feeling that he's one step ahead of them.

• Jon rode Viserion in a previous draft:
6.16 EXT. FROZEN LAKE – DAY

[FORTHCOMING REVISIONS WILL SEE BRIENNE, POD AND GENDRY CUT AND JON ADDED TO SCENE. JON WILL NOT FLY VISERION IN THE NEXT DRAFT.]

Unfortunately this is one of the instances where these revisions have already been made to the outline, so there are no further mentions of Jon riding Viserion. They've already been edited out. However there is a passage later on which I think might be a remnant of that draft, which I will address in a bit.

• Jorah and Tormund tried walking across the largely refrozen ice to the shore to fight their way out. The Hound said he'd stay behind to watch over Brienne, but Brienne urged him to help the others. "Brienne has resigned herself to dying on this island." Jorah fell through the ice, but climbed out. Learning from Jorah and Tormund, the wights started heading onto the ice too, towards Jorah. That is when Dany came to the rescue.

• "Jon sees the Night King emerge from the Army of the Dead. Come at Me, Bro, v2."

• Viserion crashing into the lake also caused Jon to fall in:
Viserion crashes into the lake, shattering the ice beneath Jon's feet and taking him into the water.

Dany witnesses this with horror, along with the other survivors. She watches the water from above, and sees no sign of life from either Jon or Viserion.

• Jon and Benjen fought White Walkers together, and the Night King cut Benjen in half:
Jon tries to be Hardhome Jon, or Battle of the Bastards Jon. But he doesn't have the strength. And five White Walkers are approaching him, surrounding him. They are going to tear him to pieces.

Coldhands rides in to the rescue. Together he and Jon dispatch the immediate Walker danger. They have a very brief, very touching moment, with very limited Coldhands dialogue. There's just no time for that now. He throws Jon up onto his horse, tells him to ride for the pass, and slaps the horse onward. The horse plows through several wights, knocking them to pieces in the process – and Coldhands turns to find the Night King coming for him. The Night King cuts him in half.

• I think this may be a remnant of the previous draft where Jon rode Viserion:
Dany looks to the sky along with Drogon. No Viserion. But coming over the horizon, a lone horse, with Jon slumped in the saddle. Simultaneously, she feels great joy and great sorrow. She knows what this means, and Drogon knows it too. He screams an anguished cry for his lost brother.

I suspect that in that draft, Jon would have hopped on Viserion when Dany came to the rescue, but the Night King speared him as they tried to fly away and they both crashed into the lake together (which was revised to Viserion shattering the ice beneath Jon's feet in this draft of the outline). Dany would have seen this ("Dany witnesses this with horror, along with the other survivors. She watches the water from above, and sees no sign of life from either Jon or Viserion"), so when she saw Jon returning, but on a horse, not a dragon, she knew Viserion was dead. At least, I think that's what the above paragraph was trying to convey.

• While Jon was still sleeping, Dany moved the furs aside to see his scars. When he woke up she said "No one could survive that" and Jon replied "I didn't."

• Dany severely regretted rescuing them, and wished she could take it all back to save her dragon, a complete contrast to the aired episode.

• After Jon pledges to Dany: "Jon thinks they'll understand. The ones who know him know he never really wanted to be king anyway."

• The chain used to drag Viserion is "older than living memory, forged thousands of years ago for some forgotten purpose."
Episode Summary
  • "Jon continues to kill wights on the ground and Dany watches, impressed."

• The Night King summoned a blizzard with his hand:
We see Jon's sword, then a hand comes up out of the water and Jon is alive, alone to face the Night King and the wights when the same dark figure on horseback that brought Gendry to Eastwatch appears. We come to realize this is Jon's Uncle Benjen. The Night King is standing by watching the fighting with his arms at his sides. He then opens one hand and the snow on the ground beneath his hand begins to swirl and churn, encompassing him in his own personal blizzard and he disappears from sight while the storm continues to grow. Uncle Benjen and Jon can't see more than three feet in front of them. Benjen throws Jon on top of his horse along with his sword, Longclaw, and tells Jon to ride for the pass.

• Benjen picked up a White Walker's sword, but the Night King stabbed him through the heart and chopped off his head:
The Night King appears again and Benjen takes a fallen White Walker's sword, going to meet his end. Jon looks back from the horse and we see everything from his perspective. Benjen tries to fight but the Night King punches his blade into his chest, through his heart and out the other side, pulling the blade out and Benjen's body drops to the ground. The Night King then takes off Benjen's head. Jon turns back around and rides through the mountain pass.

• Dany openly cried in her talk with Jon.

• "Jon sees her beauty, strength, grief and pain and all push him to the realization that he loves her and he's thrown by the realization. Her fingers move on his hand and she likes the way it feels. A look between them acknowledges what almost just happened, she stares at him a moment longer, stands and leaves the cabin."
Episode 707
Preliminary Outline
  • Euron had cordoned off the mouth of the Blackwater with a chain, and he looked at Dany's flagship for a tense moment before allowing them to pass. "The special smile Euron gives Theon reminds Theon what it feels like to want to cut out someone's throat."

• Qyburn suggested that Dany might fly in with her dragons and kill everyone at the Dragonpit, allies and enemies alike. Cersei was confident that wouldn't happen though because Dany has a reputation to maintain as "the Breaker of Chains" and all that.

• Bronn teased Tyrion about being attracted to Dany:
Bronn recounts seeing Dany on the Kingsroad. Quite a woman. Almost turned Jaime into charcoal. Tyrion tries to tell Bronn that Dany is the best chance they have to make the next hundred years different from the last hundred. Bronn is surprised to find Tyrion buying into her cult of personality. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

"She was nice to look at, though, from what I could make out while she was roasting us alive. Have any luck with her?"

Tyrion's expression protests. "Don't pretend with me," Bronn says. "I know what you like." Bronn looks over his shoulder at Jon Snow. "Handsome brooder. Dragon Queen fucking him yet? No? Bet she will be soon. He's what they go for. Him and your brother. Not us. We're never the one they go for. We're the other one."

It's sure shitty to be the other one. Bronn catches sight of Jorah. Tyrion tells Bronn who he is, reminding him that Jorah started out informing on Dany for Robert. "And now he's just like you. Soon she'll have a whole string of you, following her around like baby ducks."

• "As Dany takes her seat opposite Cersei in the circle, Bronn gives Tyrion a parting piece of advice: "You're better off not wanting a girl like that. A girl like that is not manageable." "

• When Jon says he's already pledged to Dany "she gets that look on her face that we haven't seen since Drogo told her he was going to sail to Westeros and kill the men in their iron suits."

• "A part of Dany really wishes Jon hadn't gone public that way. And a part of her is glad he did. Loyalty has always turned her on."

• The Hound was more straightforward in his threat to the Mountain, saying "You're not dead yet, are you, brother? Good. I want to kill you myself."

• "More importantly, Jon and Dany can have a good, romantically-tense scene in a quiet corner of the dragon pit."

• "When the meeting ends, Theon asks if he can speak to Jon alone. Jon asks for Dany's permission to do so. Dany grants it. She has some things she'd like to discuss with Jon later, privately. Exit Dany."

• After Jaime left, Cersei had a final scene heavily implying she miscarried:
And back in the Red Keep, Cersei wakes in the night. Something is wrong. She gets out of bed, grabs a lantern and sees that her nightgown is soaked in blood, the bedsheets soaked in blood. She screams, and the scream echoes from the top of the highest tower of the Red Keep.

This was in the leaks from before Season 7 too, which were from someone who had access to an actual script from shortly before filming (you can read the leaker's comments about that scene here). So has this been cut, or just moved to next season? It would make for a nice contrast if Cersei miscarried around the same time Dany learned she was pregnant.

• Rhaegar and Lyanna: "The two kiss, hopeful newlyweds who truly believe this will all work out."

• "Jon walks into Dany's cabin below decks, knowing exactly what he wants and what she wants."

• Tyrion's reaction to Jon and Dany:
We pull away from Dany's cabin door, back down the corridor. At the far end, Tyrion emerges from the stairway. He hears the muffled sounds of what's going on behind Dany's closed door.

Looking troubled for more reasons than one, Tyrion turns away, enters his own cabin, and shuts the door behind him.

Between the "loves Dany" comment in 704, Tyrion noting Dany's feelings for Jon in 705, Tyrion not teasing Dany about Jon's love for her in 706, Bronn poking fun at Tyrion's attraction to Dany and comparing him to Jorah in 707, and the above, it seems like this outline was going for more of a romantic jealousy angle with Tyrion.

• "Emerging from the frozen coastal forest, the Army of the Dead comes in force. All of them, with the White Walkers bringing up the rear. All of them too. How many White Walkers? Let's say 150. This is bad"

• "But then a stranger sound comes from the north. Tormund looks to the sky, and sees a mote on the horizon, coming in fast. Very fast. We've never seen a dragon going full speed before. It's moving so fast we don't get a clear look at it or the Night King on its back before it is upon us..."

• Viserion breathes "blue flame"/"blue fire" and is described as an "ice dragon."

• There was some question as to whether Viserion was a wight dragon or a White Walker dragon. On the one hand, Viserion was raised from the dead like a wight, but on the other, the Night King touched him like he did to Craster's son. Interestingly, the outline actually does draw a comparison to Craster's sons:
A massive chunk of the Wall breaks free ahead of Tormund. The ice dragon glides away, and we get our first clear look at him, and at the Night King on his back. He's done the same thing to Viserion that he did to Craster's sons. Only those were babies, and this is a dragon.

Does this have unique implications for the story though? Or is it just a catchy description without a lot of thought put behind it? I'm leaning towards the latter, personally, but it's something to think about.

Episode Summary
  • "Cersei notices Jaime looking at Brienne and asks who invited her - Brienne replies she is there on behalf of Sansa. Cersei notices the lion's head on the pommel of her sword but before Jaime or Brienne can explain this, Drogon and Rhaegal appear overhead"

• "They decide the Unsullied need training in the winter/snow and they will sail to Eastwatch to Tormund. Davos says they already have thousands of dragonglass spearheads prepared."

Last edited by a moderator:

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House
You guys ready for the annual GRRM TWOW report? My predictions

1. Martin will post various blog updates in January 2018 that have nothing to do with TWOW, causing fans to ask when he'll address TWOW
2. In February, Martin will angrily consent to giving an update
3. "I got a lot done, but not as much as I had hoped. The book will be done when it's done"

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
That reminds me, I forgot to post that someone seems to have guessed the third shocking twist:

https://weirwoodleviathan.wordpress.com/2017/09/08/bran-them-all-the-fate-of-kings-landing/

Tldr; Bran wargs Drogon (potentially while Daenerys is riding him)and uses KL, which is filled with wildfire, to blow everyone up including the Others, wights, Unsullied, Dothraki and the people of KL.

In the books, this is meant to be the moment that Bran becomes a god as he would warg everyone and hear their final words before he executes them all.

[
When your dragons were small they were a wonder. Grown, they are death and devastation, a flaming sword above the world.

Drogon= Lightbringer

"He does," his father admitted. "As did the Targaryen kings before him. Yet our way is the older way. The blood of the First Men still flows in the veins of the Starks, and we hold to the belief that the man who passes the sentence should swing the sword. If you would take a man's life, you owe it to him to look into his eyes and hear his final words. And if you cannot bear to do that, then perhaps the man does not deserve to die.

"One day, Bran, you will be Robb's bannerman, holding a keep of your own for your brother and your king, and justice will fall to you. When that day comes, you must take no pleasure in the task, but neither must you look away. A ruler who hides behind paid executioners soon forgets what death is."

Bran is the one that wields Lightbringer and brings it down on KL's head.

"The bleeding star bespoke the end," he said to Aeron. "These are the last days, when the world shall be broken and remade. A new god shall be born from the graves and charnel pits."

A new god is going to be born from the mass graves and the only new god we know is going to be born is Bran.

There's other evidence so....

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On a podcast yesterday, Preston Jacobs (love me some Preston!) mentioned that he finds it strange that people consider Dorne and The Iron Born as distractions from the main story considering they have been George's focus for two books and 15 years. It's a pretty good point that I hadn't thought of before. Shifting back to the "main" characters after devoting so much time to those people and places would be a strange hoodwink. Why would he spend so much time with those people if they aren't extremely important going forward?

Basileus777

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
On a podcast yesterday, Preston Jacobs (love me some Preston!) mentioned that he finds it strange that people consider Dorne and The Iron Born as distractions from the main story considering they have been George's focus for two books and 15 years. It's a pretty good point that I hadn't thought of before. Shifting back to the "main" characters after devoting so much time to those people and places would be a strange hoodwink. Why would he spend so much time with those people if they aren't extremely important going forward?
The Iron Born and Dorne are actually fairly small parts of those two books and it's pretty clear that GRRM doesn't have a good grasp of the series' structure anyway. Theon comprises the majority of the content from those two groups and he's been around since the first book and is deeply tied to the whole Northern storyline.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
The Iron Born and Dorne are actually fairly small parts of those two books and it's pretty clear that GRRM doesn't have a good grasp of the series' structure anyway. Theon comprises the majority of the content from those two groups and he's been around since the first book and is deeply tied to the whole Northern storyline.

I think GRRM has a pretty clear idea how to do the ironborn and Dornish storylines. They're his most consistent work within the series.

I think he's actually struggling with the main characters' storylines and some of the older storylines more.

PhoenixDark

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
White House

Not to mention AFFC/ADWD were supposed to be one book, that was supposed to come out 5-6 years before it actually did. So, like most Preston Jacobs' arguments, the fact that Martin has spent 15+ years on those stories is not an important point.

That being said I wouldn't say both stories are meaningless. It seems clear that Dorne is going to play a big role in Dany's next arc, ie another Dance Of Dragons. Dorne will side with Aegon, and ultimately be destroyed IMO...which will be even more tragic given Doran's continued attempts to take the safest, most wise path in order to protect "the children." In terms of the Iron Isles, it seems like Euron is gonna be the next big bad. Especially if you read the amazing Damphair sample chapter.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Euron is the only character that I am not sure what he will do. He will obviously capture Sam. I'm assuming that the citadel will burn due to it being a similarity to the library of Alexandria. In my fanfiction creation of what I think could happen, I just have him murdering Doran and dumping Alleras there.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Euron is the only character that I am not sure what he will do. He will obviously capture Sam. I'm assuming that the citadel will burn due to it being a similarity to the library of Alexandria. In my fanfiction creation of what I think could happen, I just have him murdering Doran and dumping Alleras there.

Not Sam. Gilly and the baby. And he forces Sam to blow the Horn of Winter or he'll kill them both.

Love versus duty. Also it's the only way to justify why so many pages were devoted to Sam's story in AFFC.

Sam's also associated with horns in addition to having the horn of Winter. He comes from Horn Hill and he's part of NW aka the horn that wakes the sleepers.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not Sam. Gilly and the baby. And he forces Sam to blow the Horn of Winter or he'll kill them both.

Love versus duty. Also it's the only way to justify why so many pages were devoted to Sam's story in AFFC.

Sam's also associated with horns in addition to having the horn of Winter. He comes from Horn Hill and he's part of NW aka the horn that wakes the sleepers.
Sam could be an interesting horn-blower. Certainly more emotional than having Euron blow the horn by mistake thinking it was the Dragon horn Victarion had. I also am wondering why Euron wouldn't blow the horn himself though. Why would he need Sam to do it?

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Sam could be an interesting horn-blower. Certainly more emotional than having Euron blow the horn by mistake thinking it was the Dragon horn Victarion had. I also am wondering why Euron wouldn't blow the horn himself though. Why would he need Sam to do it?

Sadism. We know he enjoys playing mind games with people. He'd probably get a kick out of forcing a Night's Watchman to blow the Horn of Winter. And it's in keeping with the the theme that he doesn't blow the magical horn himself ever just like he never blew Dragonbinder.

Clues say this happens at the top of the Hightower where supposedly you can even see the Wall from.

So I'm assuming in this scenario, Not-Pate tells Euron about it when they discover what it is, Euron goes after it maybe even on a dragonback, Sam and Gilly flee to the top of the tower to destroy it or at the very least lose it by throwing it off, Gilly gets captured, Sam reaches the top and Euron finds him just before he throws it/destroys it. Euron forces him to make a choice between Gilly or his duty. Blow the horn or she dies. He blows the horn. Start of the Apocalypse.

Nars99

Nov 1, 2017
After the infamous 7th season I decided to give this series what it deserves and read the novels.

I'm halfway through ACoK and I really liked this one of Dany's chapters, it's when she receives the news about the death of Robert and how she reacts. Not an eventful chapter but all I thought of while reading it is how she's reacting for her age.
I don't remember how this scene went in the show, but the tone it left must've been completely different. Here, Joffery is her opponent, so you start to like her because she's wiser than Joffery and is deserving of some of what she owns, it wasn't just passed on to her.. and all of her ignorance is justified because of her age.
While in the show, because of her age, I always thought of Robb and the others as her real opponents, where she seemed ignorant and OP.
This little detail makes me a little more optimized for the ending; both the show and the books seem to be be going for 'Dany and Jon save the day yaaay', but GRRM might just add these tiny little details that makes this loathable idea more tolerable.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
After the infamous 7th season I decided to give this series what it deserves and read the novels.

I'm halfway through ACoK and I really liked this one of Dany's chapters, it's when she receives the news about the death of Robert and how she reacts. Not an eventful chapter but all I thought of while reading it is how she's reacting for her age.
I don't remember how this scene went in the show, but the tone it left must've been completely different. Here, Joffery is her opponent, so you start to like her because she's wiser than Joffery and is deserving of some of what she owns, it wasn't just passed on to her.. and all of her ignorance is justified because of her age.
While in the show, because of her age, I always thought of Robb and the others as her real opponents, where she seemed ignorant and OP.
This little detail makes me a little more optimized for the ending; both the show and the books seem to be be going for 'Dany and Jon save the day yaaay', but GRRM might just add these tiny little details that makes this loathable idea more tolerable.

I don't think he is going to boil it down to only Daenerys and Jon save the day. Personally, I see this story is more of an ensemble piece with the Starks, Dany and Tyrion being the most important by everyone left alive at the end contributing.

Anyways remember that this is what GRRM is trying to achieve with Dany while you read Daenerys' story:

"Dragons are the nuclear deterrent, and only [Daenerys Targaryen, one of the series' heroines] has them, which in some ways makes her the most powerful person in the world," Martin said in 2011. "But is that sufficient? These are the kind of issues I'm trying to explore. The United States right now has the ability to destroy the world with our nuclear arsenal, but that doesn't mean we can achieve specific geopolitical goals. Power is more subtle than that. You can have the power to destroy, but it doesn't give you the power to reform, or improve, or build."

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Ned supported his claim, and Ned is the most honorable man in Westeros. Nothing more should be said, except lol @ remaining Starks for the botch. Robb and Kat are both awful.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He's joking.

But partly it's probably because he's acknowledging that a competent grown man that has experience in governing for over a decade no matter how unlikeable is going to be better at it than a couple teenagers who got ousted in less than a year from their own leadership positions.
Oh lol. (I just realized I never responded to your post from a month ago).

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Ned supported his claim, and Ned is the most honorable man in Westeros. Nothing more should be said, except lol @ remaining Starks for the botch. Robb and Kat are both awful.

I mean it's not really Robb or Cat's fault. If you want to point fingers at someone then point them at Renly or the northern lords or even Stannis.

Renly for taking most of Stannis' thunder away rather than joining him, Stannis for not making his intentions known earlier and the northern lords for electing Robb king.

Robb was close to declaring for Stannis until the Greatjon Umber made his speech:

"Renly is crowned," said Marq Piper. "Highgarden and Storm's End support his claim, and the Dornishmen will not be laggardly. If Winterfell and Riverrun add their strength to his, he will have five of the seven great houses behind him. Six, if the Arryns bestir themselves! Six against the Rock! My lords, within the year, we will have all their heads on pikes, the queen and the boy king, Lord Tywin, the Imp, the Kingslayer, Ser Kevan, all of them! That is what we shall win if we join with King Renly. What does Lord Stannis have against that, that we should cast it all aside?"

"The right," said Robb stubbornly. Catelyn thought he sounded eerily like his father as he said it.

"So you mean us to declare for Stannis?" asked Edmure.

"I don't know," said Robb. "I prayed to know what to do, but the gods did not answer. The Lannisters killed my father for a traitor, and we know that was a lie, but if Joffrey is the lawful king and we fight against him, we will be traitors."

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel like they butchered Jon in the show. I am a firm believer that the Jon that is resurrected in the show will exhibit an ice cold demeanor pretty much 100% of the time. He seems so non-threatening and tame, I really hope George takes him to the Cat spectrum of one mission man/woman.

Am Im reading the characterisation on the show incorrectly?

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do I feel like they butchered Jon in the show. I am a firm believer that the Jon that is resurrected in the show will exhibit an ice cold demeanor pretty much 100% of the time. He seems so non-threatening and tame, I really hope George takes him to the Cat spectrum of one mission man/woman.

Nah a lot of people disliked how Jon has been portrayed on the show. Especially in Season 2 regarding his mentoring from Quorian Half-hand. I also really dislike that his resurrection did nothing for his character except a few episodes. GRRM will have a much rougher change for Jon, possibly even removing his POV (which I think could be good).

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

Because they did although they butchered him seasons ago. Now all that's left is the husk of a much more interesting character named GRRM's Jon Snow. Meta-almost.

Jon Show is about as neutered as Saint Tyrion. They have to be kept as likeable as possible by D & D. Likeability isn't something GRRM cares about.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Theory that`s probably been posited a million and one times: Could a time travelling Bran be/be behind the Knight of the Laughing Tree?
I don't think so, I am going with Lyanna Stark if I recall my speculation. Also:

Time Traveling as a concept is as of right now a show-only thing. We know that Hold-the-Door is real, but we don't know the context. So stuff like this needs to be kept under wraps.

The Gunslinger could you please edit your posts further up on the page to be covered under Season 7 Spoilers.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Theory that`s probably been posited a million and one times: Could a time travelling Bran be/be behind the Knight of the Laughing Tree?

No. It's definitely supposed to be Lyanna. That's how Rhaegar meets and gets to know her since he's charged with finding out who it is.

And that's a reason why Rhaegar honors her by naming her Queen of Love and Beauty.

Bran can't actually time-travel in the sense that's he is physically there. He can only influence people that are already there.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think so, I am going with Lyanna Stark if I recall my speculation. Also:

Time Traveling as a concept is as of right now a show-only thing. We know that Hold-the-Door is real, but we don't know the context. So stuff like this needs to be kept under wraps.

It's not. At the very least, it's implied when Bran tries to talk to Ned at ADWD and he hears Bran and also when Bran unlocks Jon's power in ACOK.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I think "Aegon" works better as a non-POV.

A character filled with the hopes of the Martells, Varys, Illyrio, the Golden Company and the people of Westeros.

Real interesting perspectives would be people like Howland Reed, LF, Varys, Willas Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Stannis Baratheon or Illyrio. Maybe a Dothraki too.

greatgeek

Oct 25, 2017
I think "Aegon" works better as a non-POV.

A character filled with the hopes of the Martells, Varys, Illyrio, the Golden Company and the people of Westeros.

Real interesting perspectives would be people like Howland Reed, LF, Varys, Willas Tyrell, Loras Tyrell, Stannis Baratheon or Illyrio. Maybe a Dothraki too.
I think the characters that know many secrets or that have elaborate plans are better served by being opaque to the reader.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
What's this? A new chapter?

No, it's from ACOK.

There's been a long-held theory that Stannis ends his arc with giving up his rights and taking the black after he burns Shireen. Basically an inverted Jon Snow.

Jon Snow: Lord Commander of the NW-> King

Stannis Baratheon: King -> Lord Commander of the NW

I found that quote and took it to mean that it's possible foreshadowing.

And GRRM has made it clear that some characters that are dead on the show will live to the end in the books.)

Last edited:

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Anyone here read the graphic novel of a Clash of Kings? They really upgraded the art from AGOT.

Robb and Cat are sexy as fuck:

GoTClashKings04-Cov-B-Rubi.jpg

052_0013.jpg

Dat Robert "muscled like a maiden'a fantasy" Baratheon:

17082509293685l6_7.jpg

Dat Tyrion(???) and Cersei:

Game-of-Thrones-A-Clash-of-Kings-8-4-600x922.jpg

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I like this theory regarding the appearance of square-cut rubies and how they've been related to false things, like glamors: https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/7x12ih/spoilers_extended_the_secret_of_squarecut_rubies/

tldr, square-cut rubies get prominent references during passages regarding Stannis's "Light Bringer" sword, Maynce while he was glamored as Rattleshirt, and finally Griff as "Aegon". So the suggestion is that GRRM was hinting that Griff is false (Blackfyre? Who knows, but certainly not the son of Rhaegar).

I doubt any still believe there's anything to Griff since his story was so utterly ignored by the show, but I thought it was a cool connection someone caught.