• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 41931

User requested account closure
Apr 10, 2018
The key puzzle from Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. It's weird because the rest of the game is fine after that. It's just that one part where they made a puzzle that could only be solved by doing a bunch of unrelated puzzles that had their own nonsense.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
As much as I love the game otherwise: Final Fantasy XII. Getting certain Bazaar goods to appear, the crazy conditions by which quite a few of the Rare Game spawn, and obtaining almost all of the game's best/rarest equipment...good luck with ANY of that without a guide. (Especially in the original PS2 version of the game, which had an infamous bug that prevented the game's best spear from spawning if you'd previously opened a few seemingly-random treasure chests in the world.)

Feb 12, 2019
Some of the older Fire Emblem games have ridiculous "there's no way you would've found this without a guide" moments. Finding Chapter 19xx in FE 7 requires you to defeat an optional boss who leaves the turn after you attack him. He's incredibly evasive and has a nice fat pool of hitpoints at a point in the game where you probably don't have many promoted units capable of taking him down. Oh, and this is hidden in an already hidden chapter, only on the remixed Hector mode.

Ducayne

Oct 27, 2017
The turtle puzzle in The Dig. I spent so much money calling the Lucas Arts tip line, but in the end it was just a badly designed puzzle. I remember replaying it as an adult and getting it rather easily tho.
digbones.jpg

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm staring at this and I'm so confused. I'd like to use a coin for a hint please!

Funniest part? I've actually beaten every puzzle in the first Professor Layton so in theory I've done this puzzle before but don't remember it. I'm guessing the hints basically give it away because that's the only way I see myself having solved this.
Look down.

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
la-mulana the entire fucking game, la-mulana 2 the entire fucking game

but i guess realistically i forget what's the hardest thing to logic out, there's so much of it. the back halves of those games are straight up nonsense gobbledegook

Needed to kneel in the Gates of Illusion even though the game doesn't have a kneel animation

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The Castlevania 2 one sticks out the most to me, I think because never would of got it without a guide. I think it was in Nintendo power. There are some games where I would just get stuck, and never go back. This is pre internet. Don't have easy access to the guide for space quest 4 when you're 8 years old.
Return to Zork, got stuck on this guy for a long long time.

tr00per

Nov 4, 2017
I found lots of botw baffling despite having played every other Zelda game. I kept feeling so stupid.

When you create such a large sandbox, solutions can be pretty varied!

I also remember reading a few text-based guides back in the early '00s for things like Silent Hill 3 and 4. All that ASCII art haha
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance has some BS that makes it extremely hard to 100 percent

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Reading through the thread I'm going with Valkyrie Profile's Ending A. My first playthrough I got Ending B and was pissed considering I was playing the way the game tells you to play. I only got Ending A many years latter when I got it on PSP. The method is so confusing and elaborate, there's no way you can get that ending without looking at a guide.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018
I'll put another vote down for Grim Fandango. I played the remaster a couple of years ago and some of it frustrated me to no end.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Outbreak Prime quest in Destiny 1, ain't nobody got time for figuring that (except guide makers).

Haven't even looked at the repeat quest in Destiny 2.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I love Monkey Island and other funny adventure games like it, but they are pretty much ridiculous with their puzzle logic.

You either have to brute force stuff and click on everything you can WITH every item you have to solve something, or use a guide.

More agrivating than not figuring out a puzzle is not realizing you haven't picked up a critical item in the first place.

There's only one hard puzzle I remember from a Monkey Island game (the roller coaster with LaChuck) and while it was satisfying to figure out, it was mostly just brute forcing it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Because at this point in the third game in the series, the game throws out the one mechanic you use literally everywhere else ("interact with things by jumping or rolling in to them") for one that isn't used anywhere else in the four megadrive games. It's a dumb change that you couldn't possibly guess because there's absolutely no reason for anyone to stop trying to jump on things (which gets you really close to passing the obstacle!) And stand still on this one stupid object and start pressing up and down to control on it.
My first 2D Sonic was Sonic 3, which I played for the first time in 2007. I faced the same conundrum as everyone else.
Still don't get it tho, mechanics aside. Like it took all of 3 seconds to figure out how to move the barrel but it's treated like the worst thing in games.

I just do not understand it.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Watched Game Grumps' playthrough of The Wacky World of Miniature Golf on CD-I.

So yeah, that entire game.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I love Monkey Island and other funny adventure games like it, but they are pretty much ridiculous with their puzzle logic.

You either have to brute force stuff and click on everything you can WITH every item you have to solve something, or use a guide.

More agrivating than not figuring out a puzzle is not realizing you haven't picked up a critical item in the first place.

There's only one hard puzzle I remember from a Monkey Island game (the roller coaster with LaChuck) and while it was satisfying to figure out, it was mostly just brute forcing it.
I actually think the first two Monkey Island games have puzzles that all make pretty good sense. Nothing in Secret feels unfair.

BUT.

For all of us in the UK, we were never going to figure out to use a monkey to undo a bolt, because we don't call that tool a monkey wrench. Heck, we don't even call it a wrench. So yeah. Fuck that one puzzle in LeChuck's Revenge.

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald's Sealed Chamber. It may not be as tricky as some here but it definitely was for younger me.
Sealed_Chamber_2R_E.png

latest

You needed to translate the braille into English in order to find out what the cave needed to get the Regis. Family was poor so I couldn't just search it up online at the time. I just remember being all like "I have to learn BRAILLE???"

Nowadays I freaking love the complexity. But yeah younger me was baffled.

EDIT: I'm gonna point out that I bought the game used so I didn't have the box or manual that had the braille alphabet inside.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of FromSoft stuff comes to mind, as well as a few other moments (like swimsuit gravel lol)

But one thing I don't think I've seen so far is Persona 4's true ending. That shit needs a guide IMHO, it would have never occurred to me, and you seriously end a 65-70 hour game on a wet fart and miss out on an entire dungeon (around 4-5 hours of gameplay) if you miss it

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
If you mean just a puzzle, I haven't run across any I haven't been able to figure out, but some have taken me a very long while. If you mean just secrets or whatever it would be the Zodiac Spear in the old FFXII before they changed how it works.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
maxresdefault-1.jpg

In my defense, I was only 13 years old and had but a vague notion of English at the time. I spent days trying to press the working keys in pretty much every imaginable order, then finally managed to get online and find the solution.
The later Professor Layton games had mostly excellent and fair puzzles. The first one, though...

latest
I came to post this.

Now I don't have anything else to post.
Lol, I accepted the challenge and looked up the in-game instructions for this puzzle to understand the context:

067T.gif

With that, it took me 40 minutes or so to figure it out. Nice puzzle!
I only read the 1st page, but did someone mention that Professor Layton puzzle with the chocolate bar? Because whoever came up with that should be fired.

Edit: 2nd page, naturally lol
I'm staring at this and I'm so confused. I'd like to use a coin for a hint please!

Funniest part? I've actually beaten every puzzle in the first Professor Layton so in theory I've done this puzzle before but don't remember it. I'm guessing the hints basically give it away because that's the only way I see myself having solved this.
Whoah, I thought that puzzle made perfect sense. I've beaten the first Professor Layton game a few months ago, some of the mid- and late-game puzzles were really challenging, but the first few ones had just the right amount of logic to get me hooked. I need to play the sequels ASAP.
The hell?
Is the
in game keyboard the same as a QWERTY one?
Yes.
Pay attention to the bite marks.

Oct 28, 2017
Whoah, I thought that puzzle made perfect sense. I've beaten the first Professor Layton game a few months ago, some of the mid- and late-game puzzles were really challenging, but the first few ones had just the right amount of logic to get me hooked. I need to play the sequels ASAP.

Yes.
Pay attention to the bite marks.
I didn't even notice those lol. It's a good thing I never tried to play any Layton games.

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I didn't even notice those lol. It's a good thing I never tried to play any Layton games.
Puzzle games usually demand that you consider every detail, so it's isn't hard to make a mistake because something important might seem irrelevant at first glance. That said, I tend to have no trouble solving some rather complex puzzles, only to stop dead in my tracks before a borderline braindead one. It's not unusual for my wife to find me staring at the screen for a long time without pressing anything and then suggest that I try something painfully obvious and making me feel as dumb as a rock.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
As much as I love the game otherwise: Final Fantasy XII. Getting certain Bazaar goods to appear, the crazy conditions by which quite a few of the Rare Game spawn, and obtaining almost all of the game's best/rarest equipment...good luck with ANY of that without a guide. (Especially in the original PS2 version of the game, which had an infamous bug that prevented the game's best spear from spawning if you'd previously opened a few seemingly-random treasure chests in the world.)

That's a bug? Thought that was just how it was designed. But yeah XII has some MMORPG spawn requirements that are very obtuse and shit. Or that invisible bow LMAO

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls: Killing the Hydra to reveal a cave with seemingly nothing in it. You're supposed to log out and back in or leave the area and come back. Then another miniboss appears, beat that one and you get to talk to someone, but hold on you STILL haven't seen everything in that cave. Relog again some corpses with loot show up. Nothing hints this to you, you either have to hopefully guess it, see it in a walkthrough, or be told by someone else.

This one I don't necessarily NEED a guide as it's perfectly possible to do it by your own calculations, but fusions in Shin Megami Tensei/Persona games. I was using a fusion calculator to complete the Elizabeth quests in Persona 3 Portable today. When the series began, the internet was not as prevalent as it was today. Instruction manuals included the chart of what comminations of demon races make, and what specific demon based on level. It's just faster to look up a fusion calculator these days. I actually like that SMT4 and 4A have fusion search options, as it removes the step of needing to go to the internet for it. You still have to know what you need when you search.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The fire dungeon in LoZ Skyward Sword. There's a single wall that has a bombable spot that is nearly impossible to find without a guide. It's the reason I never finished the game. By the time I found out, it hadn been months since I played and I'd lost interest.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Entrance to
the hive
in hollow knight. A lot of breakable walls in that game that you only can find really if you develop this habit of hitting every single wall in the game as you pass through.