• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
I don't think it's even close to what is a transphobic action.

I find it pointless, and a waste of money, but not what I'd define as something transphobic.
Even the 'inventor' of gender reveal parties agrees and regrets
"Plot twist! The baby from the original gender reveal party is a girl who wears suits," Karvunidis says. "She says 'she' and 'her' and all of that, but you know she really goes outside gender norms.

The post went viral. Karvunidis says her views on sex and gender have changed, especially when she's talking to her daughter.

"She's telling me 'Mom, there are many genders. Mom, there's many different sexualities and all different types,' and I take her lead on that," Karvunidis says.

She says she does have some regrets and understands these parties aren't beneficial to everyone.

"I know it's been harmful to some individuals. It's 2019, we don't need to get our joy by giving others pain," she says. "I think there's a new way to have these parties."

And that idea is as simple as just eating cake.

"Celebrate the baby," she says. "There's no way to have a cake to cut into it, to see if they're going to like chess. Let's just have a cake."

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Someone explain to me how a gender reveal party for babies is transphobic.
You could have just asked me as you quoted me.

How do you know the gender of your child before you know your child, and how is it that traditional gender reveal parties leaving no room for a child to be trans in your celebration isn't transphobic?

It isn't a party for babies it's a party for parents celebrating a childs genitals and assigning a gender to them based on that. Many people celebrate having a child in numerous ways without that additional baggage.

Fathers jumping up and down with glee and relief when they peep a penis on a scan because to them it means they're having a boy and thus ______?

That doesn't make the parents taking part in the trend transphobic trash, but they are perpetuating something transphobic and harmful.

Which I say because recognising the harm is important even if it's unintentional, and people here tend to reframe trans concerns as being more emotional or extreme than they are.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I read that after. I don't think it's transphobic to think your child as male or female. The problem is if someone has a problem when the child defines themselves differently.

You could have just asked me as you quoted me.

How do you know the gender of your child before you know your child, and how traditional gender reveal parties leaving no room for a child to be trans in your celebration isn't transphobic?
Knowing the biological gender of a child doesn't mean that there's some hidden agenda in limiting their gender choices. I would definitely call my child, if he is biologically male a boy. If he identifies himself otherwise, then it will change.

So yeah, I think gender reveal parties are dumb, but I dont see it as transphobic.

Miss Piggy

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How did they only come away with minor injuries?

It was worth it for potentially racking up millions of views on Facebook though /s

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
We just put a post on Facebook. I don't really understand the desire to come up with all these crazy stunts.
Damn I sound like such an old person.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Knowing the biological gender of a child doesn't mean that there's some hidden agenda in limiting their gender choices. I would definitely call my child, if he is biologically male a boy. If he identifies himself otherwise, then it will change.

So yeah, I think gender reveal parties are dumb, but I dont see it as transphobic.
  • Knowing the sex of your child
  • Throwing a party about assigning them their gender before they're even born based on that sex
You switch between the two and seem to go out of your way to only talk about the sex of the child, which suggests you know what people are talking about here but still want to be dismissive or difficult out the gate. Narrowing it down to 'a gender reveal party where the parents aren't ascribing to binary gender norms and would both be knowledgeable of trans issues and on the lookout for signs of them and be receptive and supportive of them' is a niche case within the people holding gender parties overall.

It's also slightly irritating you intentionally cut this part of my post out in the quote..
That doesn't make the parents taking part in the trend transphobic trash, but they are perpetuating something transphobic and harmful.

Which I say because recognising the harm is important even if it's unintentional, and people here tend to reframe trans concerns as being more emotional or extreme than they are.
..before acting as if I believe there's a hidden agenda. I specifically state that it doesn't indicate that the parents are transphobic, but that doesn't prohibit it being transphobic. You're having a party specifically around assigning a gender to a child based on a glimpse of their genitals. What are you celebrating if not having a child?

Last edited:

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
  • Knowing the sex of your child
  • Throwing a party about assinging them their gender before they're even born based on that sex
You switch between the two and seem to go out of your way to only talk about the sex of the child, which suggests you know what people are talking about here but still want to be dismissive off the bat. If you narrow it down to 'a gender reveal party where the parents aren't ascribing to binary gender norms and would both be knowledgeable of trans issues and on the lookout for signs of them and be receptive and supportive of them' is a niche case within the people holding gender parties overall. People that are making a large deal about the specific gender of the child above just celebrating having a child.

It's also irritating you intentionally cut this part of my post out in the quote..

..before acting as if I believe there's a hidden agenda. I specifically state that it doesn't indicate that the parents are transphobic, but that doesn't prohibit it being transphobic. You're having a party specifically around assigning a gender to a child based on a glimpse of their genitals. What are you celebrating if not having a child?
I didnt cut it, you edited that in after I quoted it. Pretty much took my time with the post to properly make sure that it came out as why I think a gender reveal event isnt transphobic.

And here's another problem, I tried to keep it as simple as possible, reiterating that I dont see the event as transphobic, so I'm kinda confused on what agenda I am apparently having to switch between those two terms?

If anything, it's more due trying to properly write this post while english is my second language.

Anyway, here's my point. I dont see gender reveal parties as transphobic. It's to me, parents celebrating the biological sex of their baby, as much as they celebrate their first month, first word, first crawl, and first walk. Treating the mundane as a cause of celebration. I dont see anything nefarious with it.

Edit: also if I just realised you added a few more paragraphs into your previous post, i havent had the time to read it yet so apologies if I havent addressed that either.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Just tell folk.

And get away from the lazy pink/blue shite while you're at it.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Does this stuff only happen in the US? Haven't heard about gender reveal parties from anywhere else.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We told our parents. Nobody else particularly cared, and neither would we expect them to.

This is the same self-obsession that fuels the awful trend of baby showers.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I didnt cut it, you edited that in after I quoted it. Pretty much took my time with the post to properly make sure that it came out as why I think a gender reveal event isnt transphobic.

And here's another problem, I tried to keep it as simple as possible, reiterating that I dont see the event as transphobic, so I'm kinda confused on what agenda I am apparently having to switch between those two terms?

If anything, it's more due trying to properly write this post while english is my second language.
Anyway, here's my point. I dont see gender reveal parties as transphobic. It's to me, parents celebrating the biological sex of their baby, as much as they celebrate their first month, first word, first crawl, and first walk. Treating the mundane as a cause of celebration. I dont see anything nefarious with it.
It's not though, it's a gender reveal party..
What exactly are you celebrating above having a child? Simply that they have a penis or a vagina?

Your insistence on gender reveal parties having nothing to do with gender is odd, that they didn't come about off the back of parents obsessing more and more about their childs gender and entrenching the idea that gender=sex. That it doesn't feed into things like fathers relieved they're having a boy or mothers a girl or painting childrens rooms in blue or pink and adorning them with 'gender-suitable' items.

This is without going into the issues with people that are intersex and that it also abandons them in the celebration alongside trans people.

This isn't some niche view that you'd only find on Era either. Obviously don't expect you to read them all but to highlight the range of places that the topic is discussed, including research into the harms of children being raised within the expected roles of a binary gender from a young age.

Last edited:

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
as long as the parents aren't cunts when the kid can actually make their mind up about this shit......who gives a crap?

babies can't do shit when they're born let alone choose their gender.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Parents shouldn't even care about the biological sex of their child so much now. We're not back in feudal times where women had only certain roles of housework, and men had certain roles of being the breadwinner. They can be anything. Raise them neutrally, give them options, get out of the blue-pink binary limitation, let them choose their gender expression. Otherwise it seems a case for wanting to stick to "traditional family values" which happens to become LGBTQIA-phobic.

Cymbal Head

Oct 25, 2017
Your power level is determined by how many innocent people were endangered during your gender reveal. We are working to create a generation powerful enough to reverse climate change.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I read that after. I don't think it's transphobic to think your child as male or female. The problem is if someone has a problem when the child defines themselves differently.

To add on to what other people are saying - the problem here isn't so much "thinking of your child as male or female"; almost everyone does that because we don't live in a genderless society. The bigger problem is the immediate, over-the-top, very public enactment of gender norms, roles, and expectations before the child is even born. These gender reveal parties enforce the idea that gender is binary, that gender = sex, and that gender is the most important trait of a child much more than (for example) just texting your family "we're having a boy/girl!" would do. This all indirectly feeds into transphobia, even if many of the parents holding such parties may not otherwise think of themselves as transphobic.

Deleted member 1589

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not though, it's a gender reveal party..
What exactly are you celebrating above having a child? Simply that they have a penis or a vagina?

Your insistence on gender reveal parties having nothing to do with gender is odd, that they didn't come about off the back of parents obsessing more and more about their childs gender and entrenching the idea that gender=sex. That it doesn't feed into things like fathers relieved they're having a boy or mothers a girl or painting childrens rooms in blue or pink and adorning them with 'gender-suitable' items.

This is without going into the issues with people that are intersex and that it also abandons them in the celebration alongside trans people.

This isn't some niche view that you'd only find on Era either. Obviously don't expect you to read them all but to highlight the range of places that the topic is discussed, including research into the harms of children being raised within the expected roles of a binary gender from a young age.

Sure, I'll give some of them a read first.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
To add on to what other people are saying - the problem here isn't so much "thinking of your child as male or female"; almost everyone does that because we don't live in a genderless society. The bigger problem is the immediate, over-the-top, very public enactment of gender norms, roles, and expectations before the child is even born. These gender reveal parties enforce the idea that gender is binary, that gender = sex, and that gender is the most important trait of a child much more than (for example) just texting your family "we're having a boy/girl!" would do. This all indirectly feeds into transphobia, even if many of the parents holding such parties may not otherwise think of themselves as transphobic.
I would also add that not only transphobic, like you said the public enactment of gender norms and roles is iffy. The public displays, like this one here, are pretty much colour coded (pink is for girls). Therefore the child probably would end up in a pink room filled with princess toys etc. Boys on the other hand will get the blue room with football and car stuff. That leads to the children internalizing not what they like, but what they are allowed to like. That's not good for children.

Oct 27, 2017
I would also add that not only transphobic, like you said the public enactment of gender norms and roles is iffy. The public displays, like this one here, are pretty much colour coded (pink is for girls). Therefore the child probably would end up in a pink room filled with princess toys etc. Boys on the other hand will get the blue room with football and car stuff. That leads to the children internalizing not what they like, but what they are allowed to like. That's not good for children.
Yes of course, they're just generally sexist as well.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm so glad my friends aren't as demented as these gender reveal event people.

buddy of mine told me he was expecting his 2nd the other day. it went like this:

"oh hey congrats. do you know ...?"
"it's a girl."
"cheers!"

imagine dying over "revealing" a social construct

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
Newsflash: nobody gives a fuck about the gender of your impending shit machine. This stupidity needs to stop.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
These extreme reveals are idiotic. It's one thing to have people over to your house and you cut a cake with a pink/blue inside. It's quite another to blow something up or give it to an alligator.