• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you think?

• Yeah, you are right. Microsoft ruined their chance

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • Nah, the XSX is going to be fine

Votes: 286 27.8%
  • What the fuck are you talking about?

Votes: 645 62.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
México
Look, I was extremely excited about the Xbox Series X. Microsoft was hitting all the right notes. Great marketing on social media, very communicative. The hardware presentation was sublime... the presentation of the specs was great.

But then Inside Xbox even from May happened. And it ruined all their steam.

Yes, here in the forum we know that those games are multiplatform cross-gen games, but the average person doesn't. Anecdotally, but the casual gaming friends I have (the ones that play only Halo, Fortnite, Call of Duty, Assasins Creed, God of War and the typical mainstream AAA games) were not impressed at all with the shown games.

And now we have Sony and their silence, and it has worked wonderfully for them. They will show exclusive PS5-only games soon, and want it or not, the media and fanboys and YouTubers and influencers (I hate that term) are going to compare the graphics from the Inside Xbox event and the PS5 presentation. That's a fact, and that's going to be the narrative from now.

Microsoft fucked up badly. They had everything in place, and ruined it with a single event.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I'd say they ruined EVERYTHING they had in place, but it really didn't do them any favours at all. Though it did confirm for me where I'll be playing my most anticipated 2020 release, Yakuza Like a Dragon.

Rurunaki

Oct 27, 2017
Year is still long. They have plenty of opportunities to reveal their exclusives before launch. Same with Sony, they will not reveal everything this Thursday.

Oct 25, 2017
UK NW
Man messing up one little thing in the grand scheme of things is not going to result in much. As long as July is a damn good event everything will be forgotten about the May inside xbox stream.
The one thing I'll say is that if Sony blows the doors off on Thursday then expectations on MS delivering may increase in a big way and whether they will be met or not remains to be seen.

This is nothing in comparison in the slightest to the previous generation its a small misstep that can easily be rectified.
I've never seen people so invested in a marketing strategy, its pretty strange to be honest.

Last edited:

Bunta

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
They did a poor job at managing expectations for that event, but it'll blow over.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
You're way too deep in this to think the Inside Xbox event 'killed momentum'. You are looking at the most insular community possible, and reading their reaction as analogous to the entire globe. It was a mediocre presentation and they got one-upped by the UE5 demo. But it's genuine madness to insist that left any meaningful impression on the general public, which will translate to hardware sales.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I was going to clown this post about being insignificant considering the world events, and I still will, but let me get back to it

1)We are almost half a year away from release with PLENTY of opportunities to re-introduce. Their competitor still hasn't done their version
2)As far as building 'average person' hype, it was way too early
3)Even if they dropped a machine with teleportation features, the current apocalyptic news cycle would have drowned it out anyway

Best to amp up the reveals/promotion closer to release, while teasing along the way. Not gonna say it wasn't limp, but it's no where near the gaffe you're making it to be. It's already forgotten.

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
This? Whatever this is? It ain't it.

One less than superb event does not ruin anything.

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I see that you was really invested into the Xbox ecosystem,
i'm sorry that you feel that way.

Galava

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
The problem wasn't the event, as that event happens a few times a year. They/we hyped it up a lot. That was the problem.

Maybe we could argue if MS ""fucked up"" by not getting the Epic UE5 deal that Sony got or other strategies, but the event was not the problem.

Oct 27, 2017
They've still got plenty of months before launch and haven't even had their big game showcase. MS and the XBSX are going to be absolutely fine.

I for one can't wait to finally get a solid look at what they are doing with Halo for a start.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still early days. It killed their momentum a bit but that's it.
They have most of their big reveals left.

It does feel like the ball's more in Sony's court right now though.

Aska

Jan 11, 2020
No way. MS has plenty of time to correct their message. And besides the infamous Inside Xbox, they have been doing pretty great.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Oh, I thought you were talking about E3 2013 lmao. No, Inside Xbox in May didn't ruin the XSX. Hell, it's probably the best Inside Xbox they've ever had hahahaha, those are terrible. Nah, they did however, blow their streak of good PR. But it's not going to matter on the long run. The upcoming PS5 and July Xbox events though, those WILL matter. That's why Sony was so paranoid about leaks

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Uhhh nope wtf?
Microsoft was known to be making stuff cross platform. They did not show any 1st party. They have plans all summer just like Sony.

Both will be just fine. Sure they have different visions for next gen somewhat but I am very excited for both.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
While I do feel that Sony has given MS an opening going back to E3 2019, and MS hasn't completely seized that opportunity, I feel that OP is grossly overstating the impact of the May event on overall Xbox messaging.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
No lol, it breaks the momentum a little, but it's nothing at that level.
It's saying that the PS5 was doomed to fail because of Road to the PS5, it's just a stone in the shoe (not that Road was a failure, just an example), nothing more.

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
Are you making these terrible threads to fulfill a quota or something? I fail to see how showing next gen games at an online event is "fucking up". There's just a large bias to Sony games on this forum, so no matter what happens Microsoft will struggle. Once Microsoft starts showing first party stuff they'll be fine.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
I just don't understand why they had so many grim looking games. Like Scorn. It just looked fucking miserable. There was like basically nothing bombastic or colourful (I remember one game that featured colours)... it was all very middle of the road depressing fare. That killed it more than anything for me.

Conversely I'm expecting Sony to bring, and largely deliver, the hype.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
sEdi3r.gif

allongo

Jun 29, 2018
The average person doesn't buy a new console for years after release.

The Xbox one was doomed because it had bad press that stuck in casuals minds, and then had no killer games that could replace that narrative.

No one is going to remember that event two years from now, they will look and see if the new halo looks awesome, or if they want to play Spider-Man 2 more.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
....no. I mean, "yes" in that it did for MS and the XBO in 2013, but not for this year's Inside Xbox. Not at all.

bing

Banned
Apr 27, 2020
nowhere, canada
Dude, we don't even know what the PS5 looks like. I'd say that Microsoft is doing fine. Regardless, like other people said, new cycles come and go. Once the PS5 event occurs, they'll probably dominate the news cycle. When the July Xbox blowout happens, that'll probably dominate the news cycle. We can't tell anything for sure until we're closer to the actual release dates.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
It feels like people want a repeat of microsoft's terrible xbox one launch and are trying to turn every little mistake into it. Showing some 3rd party games (with more hype than maybe warranted) that you didn't know about before is not a disaster.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
I agree that the May event was pretty lackluster and didn't live up to the expectations they themselves set for it but that's pretty much it. They will probably have a great July event and in the end do very well next-gen. Personally really excited to see their first-party offerings and their services I already use.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Fairly certain anyone watching close enough to discuss and analyze their marketing plans online is not who they are targeting with these things.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
More like Fernando Off His Rocker, amirite?
Good OP, but I don't think it's a common sentiment. I think that rational minds know that cross gen indie titles are not indicative of the best that next gen has to offer, even if rational minds aren't the most vocal gamers melting down on Twitter and elsewhere

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well they didn't ruin everything. But 1st impressions matter, they had the chance to wow us with next gen games before Sony. But instead of doing that we got that waste of a stream with little to no gameplay from games that just really dont showcase the power of your console.

If sony plays their stream right their 1st impression will be great.

Oct 29, 2017
It absolutely can do. E3 2013 is a prime example of how you can throw away an entire console generation literally overnight.

But MS' May Inside Xbox event was not that. Not even remotely close. It was a minor event that didn't live up to the insane hype that people whipped themselves up into a complete frenzy over. Not even in the same league as something like E3 2013.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Let's compare something that happened to some that is yet to happen. It's incredible how the thing that didn't happen has such a edge.