• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
igf.com

A Short Hike wins Grand Prize at the 2020 Independent Games Festival!

Adam Robinson-Yu’s A Short Hike won the Seumas McNally Grand Prize for Best Independent Game at the 22nd annual Independent Games Festival (IGF) Awards tonight!

Full winners:

Excellence in Visual Art ($2,000) - Knights and Bikes (Foam Sword)

Excellence in Audio ($2,000) - Mutazione (Die Gute Fabrik)

Excellence in Design ($2,000) - Patrick's Parabox (Patrick Traynor)

Excellence in Narrative ($2,000) - Heaven's Vault (Inkle)

Nuovo Award ($2,000) - The Space Between (Christoph Frey)

Best Student Game ($2,000) - Bore Dome (Goblin Rage)

Audience Award ($2,000) - A Short Hike (Adam Robinson-Yu)

Seumas McNally Grand Prize ($10,000) - A Short Hike (Adam Robinson-Yu)

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
well deserved. and it's still free on EGS for another 12 hours or so. so are Mutazione and Anodyne 2 (also Seamus nominees).

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Really? What's so good about it? It looks cute at least but also pretty limited.

OP
OP

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
Really? What's so good about it? It looks cute at least but also pretty limited.
It's just a very relaxing game with charming characters, and exploring the island as you hike up the mountain (in order to get phone signal) is just a very chill experience. Has an almost meditative quality to it - music is wonderful too.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's just a very relaxing game with charming characters, and exploring the island as you hike up the mountain (in order to get phone signal) is just a very chill experience. Has an almost meditative quality to it - music is wonderful too.

On top of this, I will say that its smooth control and progression in skills is gentle yet satisfying. I don't wanna spoil the exact progression, but it all feels really nice—in a "oh, they clearly played Breath Of The Wild" way without being BotW, if that makes sense.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017

Ok but usually the winners are more innovative than that. I'll play it when it releases on Switch.

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it on Steam, and it is awesome.
I love It. Already played for 5 hours and I want to play more.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
It's such a well put together game. Mechanically sound, aesthetically pleasing, a nice sense of progression, damn fun, and not too long. Wonderful game.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
So I finished it yesterday, and yeah it's a fantastic game and now understand why it won. The scope is limited but perfectly designed. Everything fits and is purposeful. It's really like a tiny BOTW. Fully open-ended but with subtle restrictions and an «invisible hand» to guide the player. It's state of the art.

Fowler

Oct 26, 2017
So I finished it yesterday, and yeah it's a fantastic game and now understand why it won. The scope is limited but perfectly designed. Everything fits and is purposeful. It's really like a tiny BOTW. Fully open-ended but with subtle restrictions and an «invisible hand» to guide the player. It's state of the art.

I love that you bumped this so we can see the turnaround from your original skepticism! It's a good way to show that A Short Hike really is more than the sum of its parts; it may not seem special from reading about it, but when you play it, everything just CLICKS.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
I love that you bumped this so we can see the turnaround from your original skepticism! It's a good way to show that A Short Hike really is more than the sum of its parts; it may not seem special from reading about it, but when you play it, everything just CLICKS.

Yes exactly :)